• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

NOKYARD

And here I was listening to Nokyard talk about the glories of speedrunning.

Not really in the speed run business anymore. We just keep the lights on at High Speed Halo because co-op runs are not supported anywhere else.

Haven't watched Goatrope's run yet but i'm sure it was nothing short of amazing.

Take my ExWife post and apply it to you.

I'm going to see the new Transformers tomorrow, when you gonna be on?

Um... so are you playing Halo after you see Transformers? EDIT Playing whenever, I'm just chilling right now.

I'll probably be on tomorrow after I get off work. I'm down for whatever game.

Anyone still have the Prop Hunt gametype?

Cool. I will also be on tomorrow; my girlfriend has to close, sucks for her!

Fuchshgshd surely does.

Nirvana

Stopping at 60 CSR, enough to unlock the standard stuff, and unlocked the only specialize perk I cared about, Stability, which I believe was Rouge.

I honestly won't even play Halo 4. I'll spend most of my time with Halo 3.

You keep saying 'Rouge' and I'm not sure if it's deliberate or not.

Rouge = red in French
Rogue = the helmet you are thinking of.

I kept up with tricking and speedrunning constantly back in the day. I'm gonna school you fools in Halo 2 campaign.

I don't think so buddy.

Random17

Not really in the speed run business anymore. We just keep the lights on at High Speed Halo because co-op runs are not supported anywhere else.

Haven't watched Goatrope's run yet but i'm sure it was nothing short of amazing.

He got unlucky on the
Pillar of Autumn and Two Betrayals
, but otherwise it was a fantastic run and a good sequel to Monopoli's run on AGDQ. It was really nice to see his months of work pay off; there was a point early on in the year when they were unsure about whether or not CE Legendary was consistent enough for the run.

He's a good streamer, too.

Opinion change. Thruster pack is a less garbo version of evade. Still garbo though. I was wrong.

2aVWAD2.gif

Rockyrock

For those of you bored and twiddling your thumbs waiting for MCC. Join me in some Shadowrun, game still has enough people playing for games at all times of day. I'll teach you everything you need to know if you are new to the game. Oh, and it's really freaking fun and tons of crazy shit happens every round and every game.

Here are some examples.

Clutch Defense
Frenetic Shadowrun
Tree Hugging Trolls
Ninja Troll Army

Possibly the best FPS that came out on 360.

disgustingly underrated.

TheOddOne

For those of you bored and twiddling your thumbs waiting for MCC. Join me in some Shadowrun, game still has enough people playing for games at all times of day. I'll teach you everything you need to know if you are new to the game. Oh, and it's really freaking fun and tons of crazy shit happens every round and every game.

Here are some examples.

Clutch Defense
Frenetic Shadowrun
Tree Hugging Trolls
Ninja Troll Army
I wish I picked this up when it was new. Love watching these vids.

Madness

I don't understand this gif... What exactly is going on here?

Never watched baseball.

Runner is sliding into the base, but guy is waiting with the ball to tag him, at the very last second, runner is able to stop his momentum with the lead leg, switch and touch the base with his other foot and be "safe". The guy with the ball doesn't touch him before he touches the base. Pretty amazing.

Also, Biggy, what are your thoughts on the UI? I've never liked 343 UI, whether it's the Waypoint app, or the baseball cards on Halo 4 etc. Just never had the polish of a UI/menus like Reach. But Dan Ayoub has brought up the UI in a few interviews, how there is seamless transitions etc. What's your thoughts on the design/feel? Don't know if you got to fool around with the game like that though.

Duji

Do you guys think custom games will get dedis as well? What about co-op campaign? (Hopefully Stinkles can tackle this one).

-Ryn

Banned
Do you guys think custom games will get dedis as well? What about co-op campaign?
I think so yeah. If not customs though then most certainly co op. I think that it would make sense given that the collection is going to have all the campaigns. It'd be a really nice gesture too given how crap online co op has been for the series. Halo CE Anniversary was especially bad in that regard.

Omni

Something that bugs me about the UI. It's kinda off. Like compare these two screens

I've been flicking between them on my computer and have noticed that they really don't match at all. Like "choose map" and "choose mission" are two different font sizes, as are the "Campaign" and "Multiplayer" headers. The option boxes are different sizes and don't align between the two (though on my Surface it's hard to tell whether that's just an illusion from the background moving, but it looks a couple of px off). Even the mission summary and map information headers are in two different shades of blue

And what's with all that space in the right? If you're gonna go the metro kinda route, then use the entire display. Make the mission and map preview images bigger and spread out... or add more in.

Could just be seeing things. But it looks kinda thrown together

wwm0nkey

Anyone want to do some Halo 2 Vista matches and record it since youtube supports 60FPS? I imagine a lot of people would like to see what a round of 60FPS 1080p Halo 2 looks like that don't own the PC version.

Nirvana

Also, Biggy, what are your thoughts on the UI? I've never liked 343 UI, whether it's the Waypoint app, or the baseball cards on Halo 4 etc. Just never had the polish of a UI/menus like Reach. But Dan Ayoub has brought up the UI in a few interviews, how there is seamless transitions etc. What's your thoughts on the design/feel? Don't know if you got to fool around with the game like that though.

This is something that annoys me, especially on Waypoint. The stats menus are awful to navigate because there are so many separate screens for everything due to the sheer size of all of the boxes. Just give me back the streamlined Halo 3 stat pages and Reach's UI. Not everything needs to look like it was meant to be viewed on an Iphone.

My knowledge of Halo lore outside of the games is questionable at best, but upon reflection; wasn't that old animatronic boy Guilty Spark Lasoriggidized into tiny parts, and then further disentegrated by the explosion of the ark? Or was he retrieved by the mega corporation and turned into the 6 Million Dollar Robot? Actually I'm going to patent that.

I haven't read the books in a while and am kinda rusty. But IIRC there are multiple GS because of his origins or something or rather

Should probably go through the Forerunner Saga again before H5 comes out

Incoming GIFS / Spoilers ahead!

So, in the Halo Universe, there are 3 human societies that appear in various places at some point in the chronology:

Space-faring ancient humans:

Their ships:
BetterVictoriousBasil.gif

Long before the activation of the Halo Array, there existed these ancient humans, with a powerful and widely colonized interplanetary society. They were the first to encounter the Flood, birthed from "initially-beneficial-but-eventually-quite-terrible" powder that spread throughout the human-san'shyuum(Prophet race) black-market. Humanity then began a desperate attempt to wipe away every planet that showed even minor signs of Flood infection (of course we know why...).

The Human-Forerunner War:
TerribleJaggedBichonfrise.gif

These guys were defeated by the UrDidact (dude from Halo 4) in the Human-Forerunner war around 9000 years before the Halo Array was fired. Since they were the first to encounter the Flood, even before the Forerunners did, they would go around planet-to-planet, "cleansing" the infection basically the same way the Covenant glassed modern human planets in the Human-Covenant war. The Forerunner did not know much about the Flood at this time, assuming it was a minor infection contained on a few planets, and their limited non-violent interaction with humanity caused them to respond in all out war against them as retaliation for the destruction of their homes.

Forthencho, Lord of Admirals, military leader of the Ancient Humans, and rival to the UrDidact defended until a 50-year-long battle around the core-world of ancient humanity, Charum Hakkor, where he submitted and surrendered to the UrDidact's forces. Forerunners decided that the only reasonable response for their sleight against their people was to de-evolve their genetics to a point where they were more able to be controlled/monitored - no cause of threat to Forerunner dominance.

The final battle around Charum Hakkor, the last stand of humanity against the Forerunners, and their defeat:
WindyRaggedAlbatross.gif

Since these humans were able to drive the Flood from the galaxy at some point during the war, the Forerunners believed they had somehow found a cure for the infection, and before de-evolving them, they composed their memories and experiences to be implanted back into the reduced human culture's minds - to hopefully find that cure. Sort of like...1000+ year long interrogations through memory hacking, since the humans would not reveal anything of their experience with the Flood - like torture.

The halls of the Composer, where the initial composing and de-evolution of ancient humanity at the behest of the Builders and the hands Lifeworkers took place:

MatureAmpleGnu.gif

De-evolved ancient humans:

MenacingFrequentBufeo.gif

These guys turn up in a few places in the fiction. They are mostly the work of the Lifeworkers, the geneticists of Forerunner society more or less. Some were kept on the preservation reserves of the Halo Array and the Ark, some were kept on Earth (then called Erde-Tyrene). UrDidact Composed those that were on Installation 03, which is what lead to his "imprisonment" in the Cryptum in Requiem by his wife Librarian.

A duo of Earth-based humans (Chakas, Riser) accompanied a young Forerunner named Bornstellar, who - via a complex "personality/memory copy process" - eventually became the Didact's "replacement" - the IsoDidact, the "good" version more or less.

Modern humans:
Everyone pretty much knows about these guys, as they're the focus of the games mostly.

What does this have to do with Guilty Spark?

Well in Primordium, it is revealed that Chakas, one of the de-evolved humans, and the one who contains the imprint of Lord of Admirals, was converted into a Monitor to serve Installation 04, Alpha Halo - the first to be activated in the original firing of the Array. The IsoDidact ("goodguy") called him 343 Guilty Spark.

After the events of Halo 3, ONI researchers found a "shell" of a construct within the debris field near the Ark, caused by the preliminary firing of Installation 04B. The construct told the ONI researchers a story (basically the book Primordium is that story), but then proceeded to install himself into the ONI ship's systems, and adjust lifesupport to cause them all to get knocked out. Just before, he reveals himself as Chakas - 343 Guilty Spark. He says he's studied and pondered the Lifeshaper for 100 000 years (Master Lifeworker, at one point this was Librarian, but she gave the title to another of her Forerunner Lifeworkers: Chant-to-Green just before the Halos were fired). He claims she is still "demonstrably" alive, and that he knows where to find her, then takes control of the ONI ship, and takes off... It is unclear just "which" Lifeshaper he is referring to though. That is the last we ever hear of it, so a bit of a fiction cliff-hanger I would say! I don't think it's the last we've heard of that guy.

I do like the idea of having him as your "Cortana" though, that was the only enjoyable part of The Library.

Random17

Space-faring ancient humans level somewhere would kind of be cool.

ODSTs_Delta_Halo.jpg

Planet with unknown structures from Babysitter: Halo Legends
halo-legends-1.jpg

Okay, maybe not space faring, but what else do you think would have created those structures and written those symbols? Cortana suggests in the Halo 2 mission Delta Halo that she is unfamiliar with the language and the "old structures", as opposed to the new ones. We know that there were human settlements on the Array, as stated in the novels and seen in the Halo 4 terminals.

The first references to the Ancient Humans were [probably] the Delta Halo ruins in Halo 2. I doubt Ancient Humanity exists outside of genetic lineage.

Anyone want to do some Halo 2 Vista matches and record it since youtube supports 60FPS? I imagine a lot of people would like to see what a round of 60FPS 1080p Halo 2 looks like that don't own the PC version.

This please. I don't believe I've ever seen 60 FPS Halo. Or 343 could release a clip of the mongoose Scarab battle from The Storm in 60 FPS :)

TheOddOne

Okay, maybe not space faring, but what else do you think would have created those structures and written those symbols? Cortana suggests in the Halo 2 mission Delta Halo that she is unfamiliar with the language and the "old structures", as opposed to the new ones. We know that there were human settlements on the Array, as stated in the novels and seen in the Halo 4 terminals.

The first references to the Ancient Humans were [probably] the Delta Halo ruins in Halo 2. I doubt Ancient Humanity exists outside of genetic lineage.

I was thinking mostly as a sort of playable flashback sequence when that society was at its height. Not totally divulging their history with the sequence though, but just enough that we get a glimpse of that world. The Terminals did give an interesting glimpse and made me more interested (Mostly at first for the badass ship designs).

Stumbling into their relics is, while cool, more of an Easter egg kind of thing.

Space-faring ancient humans level somewhere would kind of be cool.

I still say that a "vision quest" spinoff title in the style of Another World / Out of This World or Journey where you're going through events in the Human-Forerunner War would be amazing. It would allow for an air of tension but still add some fun to the "Bornstellar walked and walked before sipping from his space canteen, dropping acid with the natives, seeing a giant space jellyfish and then walked some more" passages in the Bear Trilogy's narrative. My main concern about an FPS would be that these two races are seemingly so powerful it would devolve into a Call of Duty-style twitch shooter because just about every particle beam weapon in their arsenal is seemingly one-shot.

EDIT: Still working on RSS feeds for iTunes compatability, but in the meantime Reclaimer Radio is now available on HaloGAF.com.

Tawpgun

I was thinking mostly as a sort of playable flashback sequence when that society was at its height. Not totally divulging their history with the sequence though, but just enough that we get a glimpse of that world. The Terminals did give an interesting glimpse and made me more interested (Mostly at first for the badass ship designs).

Stumbling into their relics is, while cool, more of an Easter egg kind of thing.
Almost like playable terminals. That would be sweet.

Havok

I can record some and post them this evening. Big problem is getting a match with a decent connection these days - some are great, most are terrible.

Well, the real big problem is getting a match with something resembling decent gametype settings, but that's less relevant.

Fuchsdh

I can record some and post them this evening. Big problem is getting a match with a decent connection these days - some are great, most are terrible.

Well, the real big problem is getting a match with something resembling decent gametype settings, but that's less relevant.

Well you could just do campaign :)

But yeah I second the request.

zeemumu

I don't understand this gif... What exactly is going on here?

Never watched baseball.

If there's no one on the previous base, you have to tag the runner with the ball in order for them to be out. This guy slid and stopped at the last moment then did a weird skip evasion to dodge the glove and avoid getting tagged.

Vico

playable terminals. That would be sweet.

It went from text to audio and now video... Playable terminals is the next step.

By the way, are we assuming each Halo 2 level gets one terminal? That would be a lot more than in 4 or Anniversary.

Fuchsdh

It went from text to audio and now video... Playable terminals is the next step.

By the way, are we assuming each Halo 2 level gets one terminal? That would be a lot more than in 4 or Anniversary.

Yeah I was speculating about that too. The number of new skulls as well makes me think maybe we won't get 1 new skull and 1 new Terminal on each level... they did have a terminal or what looked like one on Cairo Station in the IGN preview, but maybe most of them are restricted to Forerunner locations?

I could never figure out what to do with those fins on sandbox.
That divot at the front actually makes a great shelf to place a power weapon or equipment. Other than that, it's only pretty much only good for a sight blocker and/or decoration.

My bad. I should probably play a Halo game more than once or twice very few months so my facts aren't inaccurate.
:p
No worries, I only know because I spent more time forging in H3 than I did playing multiplayer.

I'm very curious to find out if we'll be able to pull our old H3 forge maps into the MCC collection. I'm not expecting it, but it would sure be nice if I didn't have to rebuild some of my maps.

Vico

Yeah I was speculating about that too. The number of new skulls as well makes me think maybe we won't get 1 new skull and 1 new Terminal on each level... they did have a terminal or what looked like one on Cairo Station in the IGN preview, but maybe most of them are restricted to Forerunner locations?

The Cairo Station one is so badly hidden I actually think they put it here just for the demo.

I wouldn't expect them to all be on Forerunner-themed levels. After all, they had three types of terminals in CE Anniversary (human, covenant, forerunner). Though I guess doing this would allow them to only put about ten.

I like the Arbiter so much, I hope he gets enough time to shine.

The Cairo Station one is so badly hidden I actually think they put it here just for the demo.

I wouldn't expect them to all be on Forerunner-themed levels. After all, they had three types of terminals in CE Anniversary (human, covenant, forerunner). Though I guess doing this would allow them to only put about ten.

I like the Arbiter so much, I hope he gets enough time to shine.

They should throw a Precursor terminal somewhere in Halo 5. It starts out innocuously enough in the motion comic style but then immediately warps into something so oversaturated and convoluted it's incomprehensible and overlayed among other media stuff that there's no way you can realistically get any information out of it before it starts fucking with your actual Master Chief Collection launcher UI.

AlStrong

Mmmm I am having problems with Reach's dlc It marks me I dont have the DLC but I have them.

hm... if you're still having problems, maybe try deleting the DLC & clearing the system cache ( i.e. all game patches), then boot up Reach to get the title updates, then lastly download the DLC.

Top Bottom