• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

aHalo2joo confirmed.
A new ODST game that was like Rainbow 6 might be interesting.
Hawt. Halo needs to explore more genres for its games!
Team Mandatory Training
lmfao - Have it tied to an achievement too that requires you to do something absurd in order to move on, something you would never expect to see in a Halo game.. I don't know, maybe they could do something crazy like have a player stand still in a match for a certain amount of time? Nahhh.. that's just silly, they would never put that in Halo anyway.

-Ryn

Banned
I mean rainbow six vegas and gears are two of my favorite games ever, but I can't imagine I'll enjoy it in Halo.
The pacing would suffer.
Maybe I'd like it just in the SP.
Cover based shooting in Halo is one of the worst ideas ever. The very thought can burn in an eternity of hell fire as Palmer keeps shouting at it.

Fuchsdh

Admittedly I haven't played Rainbow Six Vegas since… 2006, I guess? Original blades dashboard and Halo 2 on 360 as I recall. But I loved the heck out of it the weekend I got to play it (I haven't cracked open the GwG version I got yet because I don't like incomplete games polluting my games list :p)

Seems like there's plenty of room in the Halo universe for different gameplay experiences, especially if it's primarily single-player or co-op instead of multiplayer.

Booshka

Best thing about Rainbow Six Vegas was the shooting and gunplay, no ADS and a lot of skill to land clean shots and out shoot people.

Booties

Banned
Admittedly I haven't played Rainbow Six Vegas since… 2006, I guess? Original blades dashboard and Halo 2 on 360 as I recall. But I loved the heck out of it the weekend I got to play it (I haven't cracked open the GwG version I got yet because I don't like incomplete games polluting my games list :p)

Seems like there's plenty of room in the Halo universe for different gameplay experiences, especially if it's primarily single-player or co-op instead of multiplayer.

A halo mmo or a halo game like the star wars game where you fly ships would be cool.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Good work on the insurance Dax. A lot of renters don't have that and don't realize how cheap it is and how much it covers. If I ever get robbed I'll get all my stuff back for like $7 a month. Glad you're alright. Now go buy security cameras and locks. :)

Nirvana

It's going to be weird for new players trying to play customs on Halo 2 I feel, since they were all honour rule based. I know it wont be the same, since I used to have so many clan buddies for full lobbies every night, but Halo 2 customs were my jam. Spent more time in them than in matchmaking to be honest.

Zombies (foundation mostly)
Zombie survival (Headlong)
Clue (Terminal, Headlong)
Tower of Power (Ascension -obvs)
Lava Man (Turf, Colossus)
Jaws (Coag)
Hide and Seek (Turf, Ivory Tower, Zanzibar, Gemini)
Ghostbusters - stolen gametype from this Bungie update: http://halo.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?cid=12685 (Backwash)
Superbouncing/sword cancelling/butterfly jumping out of maps (Turf, Burial Mounds, Zanzibar, Gemini, Containment, Waterworks, Lockout, Turf)
General customs like KOTH, Snipers, FFA etc. (Lockout)

Man, I haven't been this pumped for Halo since Halo 3 was coming out. If there are AusGaffers in here I'd love to get some gamertags to hopefully play some of these in November.

Booties

Banned
Why do you guys think it'll be a cover system?

Honestly, I think they're going for the Titanfall-esque parkour system.

Yeah I was imagining some more along the lines of Crysis 2 multiplayer. That game got fucked because of armor mode and stealth mode, but at least everyone had it. Double jump, slide, and wall grabs were cool though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I honestly think they broke the Spartans down to what they are at the core (in the fiction), and what abilities they have over normal soldiers, and are highlighting those in Halo 5. We saw in the video that Spartan landed with some kind of slam, which makes sense with how much Spartans are supposed to weigh. Think along those lines.

Ground slam when falling from height - Due to Spartan weight.
Speed/Sprint - Due to how fast Spartans move
Overcharge shield to EMP? - Based off of the existing shield tech Spartans have.
etc.

Less "armor abilities' and more natural abilities the soldiers gained when they were augmented to become Spartans and got the armor.

Everyone will have the same stuff I'd guess.

^Yeah, now consider after CE and each game getting slower and slower.. Did not make a lick of sense as far as the fiction goes, not to mention it was terrible for gameplay (comparatively to where they should have been heading).

I honestly think they broke the Spartans down to what they are at the core (in the fiction), and what abilities they have over normal soldiers, and are highlighting those in Halo 5. We saw in the video that Spartan landed with some kind of slam, which makes sense with how much Spartans are supposed to weigh. Think along those lines.

Ground slam when falling from height - Due to Spartan weight.
Speed/Sprint - Due to how fast Spartans move
Overcharge shield to EMP? - Based off of the existing shield tech Spartans have.
etc.

Less "armor abilities' and more natural abilities the soldiers gained when they were augmented to become Spartans and got the armor.

Everyone will have the same stuff I'd guess.

Spartans were pretty much doing all of those actions without relying on the armor right? I wonder how much they armor have advanced knowing the stopped creating S-II armor because it was too expensive so they made cheap armor for the S-III but for the SIV they didnt care about the money

nillapuddin

If we are going to get "closer to the metal" on the actual physicality of a Spartan soldier, I fully believe they should baseline have some ultra human abilities.

I think it would be great to embrace the explosion of athleticism Spartans have in gameplay, moon jumping was the last gen difference between Halo and other Shooters movements, but nowadays there are alot of games with highly dynamic movement sets, Titanfall, Destiny, Crysis, Tribes, etc.

Anything Spartans could ever do in a game <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< one paragraph of a Spartan led assault mission from the literature.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Spartans were pretty much doing all of those actions without relying on the armor right? I wonder how much they armor have advanced knowing the stopped creating S-II armor because it was too expensive so they made cheap armor for the S-III but for the SIV they didnt care about the money

They were, but not in MP (or really Chief in SP for that matter). We heard of how fast, how strong, and how powerful the Spartans were in the fiction and books but it never really translated to the game, aside from maybe melees to the back of the head.

In the games (both SP and MP) the character felt slow, didn't seem overly strong or heavy (when landing), and didn't really have any extra traits that your typical FPS character didn't have aside from maybe the shield on the suit. They had armor abilities in 4, but those didn't work from a competitive standpoint. I think overall Spartan abilities everyone has is a much better approach.

I think they will make Spartans finally feel like Spartans in 5, and translate that to MP as well.

IHaveIce

Banned
If I ever have to read again what Spartan's should be able to do in the games since it was written in a book I'm going bonkers.

Guys here I make it simple:

GAMEPLAY > FICTION.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If I ever have to read again what Spartan's should be able to do in the games since it was written in a book I'm going bonkers.

GAMEPLAY > FICTION.

Of course it does, but that doesn't mean you can make the fiction fit well into the gameplay. 343/Bungie got a bit too outlandish with armor abilities, so bringing it back a few steps to just typical Spartan abilities would be a good move. It would not only benefit the overall gameplay (as well as putting people back on equal ground, which is a Halo staple) but it would also work into the fiction and tie everything together the way 343 has been trying to do this whole time.

Booshka

I feel like Halo 2's Spartans were the closest to having that sort of inherent Spartan abilities just because of their agility and the button glitches.

Ghandi Hopping, BxB crouch meleeing, BxR, double shots, momentum based melee damage, and a pretty good strafe. Halo 2 Spartans feel the most agile and powerful to me, too bad a lot of that cool movement is offset by the insane aim assist and hitboxes.

nillapuddin

GAMEPLAY > FICTION.

Ice, Chill Out

I didn't say they should be able to do everything they are said to do in the books, but 343 has more than enough wiggle room to add a more athletic movement pool to the player and be completely justified in doing so. If it's fair, fun and functional, I don't care if they make it up on the fly.

There's no reason Spartans need to be stuck to the same movement parameters of regular human soldiers.

Edit:
As an offer of solidarity, have some ice cream bases emoticons
&#127848;&#127846;&#127847;
(<- desktopgaf am cry)

Booshka

Movement is gonna be the next Fps standard, like titanfall.

A spartan is the perfect template to intro new movement features

Movement has always been a standard in FPS. Quake, Unreal, Tribes, Team Fortress Classic, etc, etc, all heavily emphasized skill based and unique player movement mechanics.

Most console shooters slowed down the player movement and made aiming easier because Devs don't think console players can handle it. Shadowrun, Monday Night Combat, Gears Franchise and a few others (including Titanfall) shows that console players can handle it. Console FPS shouldn't be dumbed down and slowed to a crawl because of the input device.

Movement has always been a standard in FPS. Quake, Unreal, Tribes, Team Fortress Classic, etc, etc, all heavily emphasized skill based and unique player movement mechanics.

Most console shooters slowed down the player movement and made aiming easier because Devs don't think console players can handle it. Shadowrun, Monday Night Combat, Gears Franchise and a few others (including Titanfall) shows that console players can handle it. Console FPS shouldn't be dumbed down and slowed to a crawl because of the input device.

My bad, I meant advanced movement and skill based movement is gonna be big this gen. Titanfall 2 is gonna crush the buildings and bring movement to the forefront.

Looks like halo 5 is already following suit.

Top Bottom