• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Han Solo Film: Frontrunners for female lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damnit noooo! I thought he was meant to be the main character.

Well, there goes all my hype for the movie.

Joke or?

Jyn Erso (the lady front and center in all of the trailers and posters who is presented as the main character) is the main character.

Many people do believe her to be sort of a reimagining of Kyle Katarn though. Like how Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is kind of a reworking of Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus.

Seigyoku

It just occurred to me there WAS an EU character who made it into the movies... years ago. Aayla Secura, the blue Twi'lek Jedi. Was created for the DH comic series at the time. Lucas saw her on a cover, liked how she looked and included her in AotC and RotS. Sure she had no lines but she got a specific death scene. She then showed up several times on TCW.

There is such an expansive universe that a young Han Solo (without Ford) does nothing for me at all. Seems like a wasted opportunity not to do something more interesting.

I could always be wrong though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Because clone wars isn't EU because it's Lucas's direct creation. EU is stuff expanded on and added by other creators in the books, novels, video games, etc. why the hell do you think they kept clone wars canon anyway? It was only made canon because of Lucas (that's the reason the original clone wars cartoon and the excellent John Ostrander series were not part of the new canon)

I think people are splitting hairs between 'EU' and 'non-movie cannon'. There is an argument to be made that Clone Wars is EU depending on how you define it I suppose.

For me personally there's old EU and new EU, with the new EU being cannon. Clone Wars belongs in both categories IMO.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Because clone wars isn't EU because it's Lucas's direct creation. EU is stuff expanded on and added by other creators in the books, novels, video games, etc. why the hell do you think they kept clone wars canon anyway? It was only made canon because of Lucas (that's the reason the original clone wars cartoon and the excellent John Ostrander series were not part of the new canon)

Your definition of EU isn't the same as everyone else's.

Why does a Han Solo movie needs a 'female lead'? Urgh, I hate when they always make sure that there is a 'opposite-gender' sidekick, no matter if male or female lead. It's a character movie about a dashing rogue with a big mouth, not sure how a female lead / primarily love interest fits into that. Please don't let it be like Transformers where the girl is just there 'to be there' and gets dragged along for no other reason and serves no purpose and adds nothing.
I'm sure you hated Mad Max Fury Road for having a female lead, right? Wouldn't want to come across as a hypocrite...
1cd987085d23f753fd37857faf7f42781042048b7511ab9d6135c94429a86e5f.jpg

The only definition of EU which now matters is what Disney says is EU.

It sucks that so much good stuff in EU was chucked into the garbage bin in order to ensure that Star Wars would have new spinoff content forever and ever so Disney can make money for the rest of humanity's existence.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It sucks that so much good stuff in EU was chucked into the garbage bin in order to ensure that Star Wars would have new spinoff content forever and ever so Disney can make money for the rest of humanity's existence.

I assume you didn't bother watching TFA and have no interest in seeing Rogue One.

What a strange viewpoint.

His definition literally is the definition though. The original Expanded Universe was a licensing and branding initiative that covered non-Lucas works that didn't have particularly strict continuity rules and largely served as a sandbox for external creators. Clone Wars 2008 had heavy direction from Lucas, including being directly created by him with story lines conceived by him, and was never part of the "Star Wars Expanded Universe".

While fans do colloquially refer to the non-film works in the current canon as the "EU", there is no "EU" anymore. It's all canon (no G-tier, C-tier, whatever-tier crap anymore) and continuity is managed pretty strictly by the Lucasfilm story group.

Henkka

Banned
I really hate that this movie is happening. At the beginning of a new hope, Solo is a filthy unscrupulous scoundrel. How are they going to give Han an arc when the starting point in ANH is set so low?

This movie will be "Greedo shot first" times a gajillion.

Maybe his arc could be kind of reverse... He starts out as a pretty good guy, but something happens by the end of the movie (He's betrayed or such) that turns him into the cynical scoundrel from ANH.

It was always going to be chucked into the garbage. It was a Lucasfilm decision that was going to happen regardless. And it was a good one, because 99% of it was pure shit, and I'd rather have new stories not have to be tied down to the tiny fraction of stuff that was actually good while also tiptoeing around the minefield of everything else. Especially when that stuff can be (and is being) worked back into the new continuity anyway.

Markitron

What I said seems to have nothing to do with what you replied with.

You made no mention of people actually enjoying the new content, just that it exists solely to make Disney money, as if we are not getting anything out of it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Would be hilarious if Han is frozen in carbonite for 85% of the movie and it is mostly the female

duckroll

It just occurred to me there WAS an EU character who made it into the movies... years ago. Aayla Secura, the blue Twi'lek Jedi. Was created for the DH comic series at the time. Lucas saw her on a cover, liked how she looked and included her in AotC and RotS. Sure she had no lines but she got a specific death scene. She then showed up several times on TCW.

Why do you even know this. It's scary... :)

You made no mention of people actually enjoying the new content, just that it exists solely to make Disney money, as if we are not getting anything out of it.

Everything in this world exists solely to make somebody money. But with optional discretionary income types of things like movies and games, we part willingly with our money in exchange for something that entertains us. and that we enjoy.

This exchange of money for enjoyment is implied in the transaction, but as far as Disney is concerned, they produce entertainment for the sole purpose of making money. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts with the goal of advancing the cause of humanity. They don't want you to enjoy content because they love you and want you to be happy. They just want your money.

Markitron

They don't want you to enjoy content because they love you and want you to be happy. They just want your money.

You are completely missing my point, I'm not actually disagreeing with what you are saying, but you are massively misrepresenting and/or ignoring the other side of the transaction. I'm enjoying what they are putting out so far, they are fully deserving of their financial success with Star Wars ATM.

It sucks that the old EU had to go, noone was more pissed than me, but were are getting great new stories in it's place. Also the post-ROTJ EU was getting really stale, so I'm not too upset anymore.

Peru

Everything in this world exists solely to make somebody money. But with optional discretionary income types of things like movies and games, we part willingly with our money in exchange for something that entertains us. and that we enjoy.

This exchange of money for enjoyment is implied in the transaction, but as far as Disney is concerned, they produce entertainment for the sole purpose of making money. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts with the goal of advancing the cause of humanity. They don't want you to enjoy content because they love you and want you to be happy. They just want your money.

Of course that's true for Disney as an entity. And the CEO will have that as his concern. But the lower down you go the more people will obviously care about other things than money. Lucasfilm cares about money, but also need a relationship with fans. Directors and screenwriters and story groups care about appealing to a large audience so that their bosses will make money, but are, one assumes, quite heavily invested in making something they're proud of.

How does that change the fact that Saw is the first EU character to show up in a movie?

I don't care. I go by the official word: http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

THUS, anything that's not the films or the clone wars tv series would be expanded universe regardless if it's old EU or new EU. So no Saw Guerra showing up isn't a big deal since anything from the clone wars cartoon is part of the immovable central canon but a character created by a comic writer for their book would be.

However the whole point is moot anyway since I forgot EU characters have already appeared in the movies. Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos were created by John Ostrander in his Star Wars Republic comics from Dark Horse and brought into the films and concepts from Shadows of the Empire showed up in the Special Editions and The Clone Wars. Sana would still be the first major role character lifted from the EU if that happens though.

Seigyoku

Why do you even know this. It's scary... :)

Ducky, that isn't even the strangest, most oddball, and obscure thing I know about Star Wars. When I say Star Wars has been a part of my life for my entire life, it's pretty damn literal lol.

PS BRING BACK HOOJIBS!

Seigyoku

The old EU was buckling under its own weight and there had been talks about rebooting it even before the sale, possibly before Kathleen Kennedy was brought in. The prequels themselves were causing massive retcons and problems with all the post RotJ books, and then when TCW started, since it was created by George, with many story concept pitched by him, it gleefully trampled over the previous Clone Wars related media (TV shorts, comics, books, games). It was unwieldy even without going into quality issues.

Sure I miss parts of it. (X-Wing books, HOOJIBS). But especially without any new movies and TCW heading towards cancellation, the audience for EU books and comics was just going to get smaller and smaller.

Look, I hated the last 30 minutes of Avatar: The Last Airbender so much, I haven't read any of the comics and I didn't watch Korra. But I also don't go around screaming that they aren't canon! I just don't consume them .

Female lead in a Star Wars film is a pretty good opportunity to grab

btw you can get Oscars and do blockbuster shit too

How big is a female lead role in a Han Solo film though? I just think she'd be wasted on that role given how talented she is.

I agree Oscars and block buster shit go together very well and that's the point. Even if she doesn't win one any time soon, the roles Thompson tends to take now only increase her stock. Leading her own Star Wars film should be well within the realm of possibility in a few years. Or at the very least a meaty role in one of the main line films.

This is how black women don't get work, just look at Oscar winner lupita.

Ah, yes, that's why black women get no work, they're too uppity for their own good! /s

Black women get no work because they're black women, and there are few groups that have it worse than black women.

Tessa Thompson is young, black, beautiful and very talented. Now that hasn't meant shit until recently but change is happening, slowly but surely, and I suspect one day soon a studio is gonna find the balls to mount a blockbuster film with a black female lead, even if it's only to claim "first!"

Bigger than Star Wars?

Bigger than what will most likely an undersized one off role in Star Wars.

Lucasfilm clearly want to work with her, I'd like for her to turn down this role now and land a much bigger role as the bona fide lead.

Dali

Came in expecting another lazy ass thread with no pics in the op, and was pleasantly surprised.

...scroll down a few posts and find out op was originally one of those.

VAD

What the hell, they killed her? Do the comics acknowledge this??
I think I saw Quinlan Vos (who fucking deserves a movie) in the Geognosis battle also.

Markitron

I think I saw Quinlan Vos (who fucking deserves a movie) in the Geognosis battle also.

She was shot in the back on Felucia during the Order 66 medley, pretty great little scene IMO.

Sigh.

I wish an Obi-Wan Kenobi spin-off would shoot first.

It's bound to happen sooner or later, Ewan McGregor really wants to do it apparently.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hopefully this is a heist movie, it's great that we get to see Han, Chewie and Lando together again. Han's "wife" from that comic book seems like she could be an amusing foil.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Obi-Wan is such a major main character. I always thought they could make a trilogy or mini-series of films with him. Maybe they're waiting until after Episode IX.

The Obi-Wan spinoff is inevitable, they will just wait until the stench of the prequels has fully cleared before going back into pre-ANH territory on screen.

Dali

She was gunned down by clones she was leading in revenge of the sith when they did the Jedi death montage after they executed order 66.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Kyle Katarn is in Rogue One right? Are the games not technically EU now?

The female lead (forget her name) in Rogue One is playing the role of Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade. She was Rey's mother and Luke's wife. Ben killed her while she was protecting the other padawans (when he fell). Her death, along with his failure, is what essentially broke Luke Skywalker and sent him into exile.

Book it.

sphagnum

Banned
The female lead (forget her name) in Rogue One is playing the role of Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade. She was Rey's mother and Luke's wife. Ben killed her while she was protecting the other padawans (when he fell). Her death, along with his failure, is what essentially broke Luke Skywalker and sent him into exile.

Book it.

Nope.

JSevere

Tessa Thompson should be in everything tbh

I get why people think this movie is unnecessary but Kasdan is writing and Phil Lord & Chris Miller are directing so this probably has a shot at being the best SW flick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom