• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

handytips.info Rumor: Microsoft to 'reintroduce' Xbox1 @ event/may lower price to 399

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
That's called capitalism. If you think Sony is any different you're delusional.

Not all companies are born equal. Sony was in the lead for two entire generations, yet, they did barely anything close to that rotten. In fact, even charging to simply play online was a mainly Microsoft introduced thing.

Jack_AG

Banned
Not going to happen. Even if it did - MS already showed their thoughts on where they want the future to go. They lost a lot of trust with the consumer they will not be able to regain for some time. Too many friends of mine refuse to invest in their ecosystem for this reason.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Until MS starts putting "waggle to progress" mandatory QTEs in Halo 5, Kinect will never be "integral", "critical", "central", "necessary", or any of the other PR terms being bandied about.
Then why do I have posters in this very thread berating me over how "integral" Kinect is to the vision of Xbox One?

If it isn't critical, central or necessary, why force it to be plugged in for the console to work?

Drop the price and keep it in the box, make it a non-requirement so I can toss it in the closet, then we can talk turkey.

Miles X

Not going to happen. Even if it did - MS already showed their thoughts on where they want the future to go. They lost a lot of trust with the consumer they will not be able to regain for some time. Too many friends of mine refuse to invest in their ecosystem for this reason.

Yeah, this, which won't actually affect anyone now (DRM) is going to be worse than RROD that affected millions.

Vestal

Gold Member
Some people here really think they'll knock the price down to $400 with Kinect included? I know MS has done a lot of backpedalling, but that's too far.

It would be a gamble, but before this generation outside of Nintendo didn't most if not all Consoles sell at a loss during launch? I mean both the 360 and PS3 both were selling at a loss when they launched.

The idea of selling at a loss is simple, get the box to peoples homes and recoup the revenue through Software sales, and Xbox Live.

Who knows maybe they will introduce the Monthly Payment plan for the One. aka Pay 100 dollars and subscribe to Live for x amount of time for y price.

Dragon

Banned
This thread is amazing. Still complaints at a potential price drop. Only in an MS thread on this forum.

I wish they mentioned Illumiroom and showed that at some upcoming show. Kinect is totally worth it if Illumiroom comes to fruition.

Complaining about required Kinect is still a valid complaint. Unlike your complaint about a supposed bias against a company that's done nothing right in the past few months besides reversing their original idiocy.

I remember they gave you money back or something, wasn't that the case?

Anyway I have another handytip.info: mix up your speed and pressure, pay special attention to the super-sensitive corona.

They gave you two free games and a peripheral (DVD Remote or Gamepad) and usually sent out demos, copies of Official Xbox Magazine and special offers from time to time. The first adopters got first dibs on the Live Beta in Europe as well.

They were still sending me things well into the 360's first year (Thanks for the free Prima Halo guide MS, not sure I needed it in 2006 though)

Sounds like nonsense. But I've heard enough "nonsense" rumors since this whole mess began that turned out to be true that'll I'll wait and see. Anything is possible at this point.

Rat Salad

Banned
Some people here really think they'll knock the price down to $400 with Kinect included? I know MS has done a lot of backpedalling, but that's too far.

Why not? Sony did this with the PS3 a year after launch,lowering the price $100, yes? Microsoft can easily do this also, only they can do it when its much more important: before launch.

Will it work - no caveats - without the Kinect?

MS has said you can turn the thing off. If you can disable the Kinect.......the same way a good portion of us have a disabled webcam pointed at us at this very moment.....then i dont see what the big deal is. We will have to wait until someone actually gets their hands on a final unit to see just how integral Kinect is to just booting up the system and games though. Until then, if they say you can disable it ill wait for proof of the contrary is shown before i start hissing a fit.

But really even if MS dropped the price of the XB1 to 399 with the Kinect it would take about half a second before people started shouting "299 with no Kinect and ill bite".

jond76

Banned
DR3 Kinect and Smartglass features are optional.

As I posted above, there are many 360 games right now, both exclusive and multi-plat, that have optional Kinect features. It sold 25 million units, a good chunk of people liked it.

Trying to turn this into a black/white Kinect bundle vs no Kinect in anything, ever scenario is to completely ignore everything we've seen for the past 3 years. Until MS starts putting "waggle to progress" mandatory QTEs in Halo 5, Kinect will never be "integral", "critical", "central", "necessary", or any of the other PR terms being bandied about.

I know, but MS is trying to create a new standard, much like touchscreens and front-facing cameras are now. I don't go to cell phone forums and say, "If Apple makes an iPhone with no front facing camera, then I'll buy." Sorry, that's not a product they're making.

I think its neat that the are trying some innovation. They are taking a risk making Kinect mandatory, but it may pay off down the line.

eznark

Banned
Drop the price and keep it in the box, make it a non-requirement so I can toss it in the closet, then we can talk turkey.

I don't even care if they drop the price. I'd buy it at $499 with a kinect as long as I can destroy the Kinect immediately upon opening the box.

No one is doubting that, doesn't mean there cannot be two skus with one not having the kinect.

the problem here is that it's been confirmed (remember the Reddit Ama?) that Microsoft has made guarantees to devs that all units will be shipping with Kinect, to encourage them to develop games around it.

if that percentage drops to 50 or 30 percent of skus, Microsoft could be looking at lawsuits.

Heck, Microsoft found there was little value in selling a Kinect-centric RYSE game, so they turned it into a QTE-Controller fest, and also the same for Crimson Dragon.

Isn't that what hardcore gamers asked them to do? Quit trying to force Kinect onto traditional controller games? It's clearly obvious that Microsoft has taken that feedback and is now using Kinect for OS features and navigation and for traditionally motion-controlled games (Sports sims, Dance sims, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I could definitely see how someone can find no value in motion control for UI/UX and Motion Controlled games, but complaining that they removed it from traditional games seems like a step backwards.

MS has said you can turn the thing off. If you can disable the Kinect.......the same way a good portion of us have a disabled webcam pointed at us at this very moment.....then i dont see what the big deal is. We will have to wait until someone actually gets their hands on a final unit to see just how integral Kinect is to just booting up the system and games though. Until then, if they say you can disable it ill wait for proof of the contrary is shown before i start hissing a fit.

But really even if MS dropped the price of the XB1 to 399 with the Kinect it would take about half a second before people started shouting "299 with no Kinect and ill bite".

If you can turn it off then why require it to be plugged for the system to function? You don't see the issue there? Also with no requirement it means a cheaper sku without it for those that don't want it.

Takuya

Banned

There is no reason why Kinect should be required to be connected if you can truly disable it. There are caveats, and they aren't telling the full story.

IMO, they haven't fleshed out anything, and everything right now is an empty promise.

Barzul

Thinking back to cboat's post yesterday, this might what he/she meant. We assumed that when he/she said we'd say wow, it would be in regards to an app related feature, but it might have been statements independent of each other. Microsoft may have seen in their internals that app usage was not as high it could be and people wanted more gaming functions. Then totally unrelated to that would be the price reversal. This would certainly make me say wow.

GamerTime

Banned
RYSE, and Crimson Dragon alone shows that they couldn't implement the new Kinect motion controls in any meaningful way, so now they are controller based games. So that already shows Microsoft failed to sell the quality of this new Kinect as something worthwhile. Now it's a total joke of a product that didn't prove itself at all.

Price cuts prior to release?

I guess the pre-order numbers must still be way below their internal projections...

Well they are tracking above 360 apparently, so they can't be that flat out bad.

Honestly, this news seems crazy talk really. The amount it's going to hit their wallet every unit sold is massive, especially if they are needing to sell it at such a high price point in the first place to recover a cost. Then they'd be majorly stuck in reducing the costs further over the years because they'd already be taking a massive hit.

Madness I say, unless of course Kinect has been chucked out, or it doesn't add up.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Microsoft has been freaking out since E3. They definitely were not expecting their fanbase readily jumping ship to PS4. Some of the attractive features about the PS4, namely openness to indies, no-drm, and now price, are being copied by Microsoft to check off one more box in a comparison chart to PS4. MS must be desperate to retain current 360 Xbox Live gamers to walk back on their (stupidly) bold moves.

daveo42

Banned

I think that's mainly due to the fact that there are some people that honestly do not want the Kinect in any way, shape, or form. We don't want to pay for it and we don't want a console that requires it to do anything on the console, let alone play games.

I don't see why that's so difficult to understand. We don't want it and we most likely never will.

Walshicus

Then why do I have posters in this very thread berating me over how "integral" Kinect is to the vision of Xbox One?

If it isn't critical, central or necessary, why force it to be plugged in for the console to work?

It does seem silly. I'd probably buy it anyway since I do quite like the Kinect 1, but given the privacy concerns it seems absurd to *require* it to be plugged in all the time. I'd be surprised if that policy wasn't changed before launch.

the problem here is that it's been confirmed (remember the Reddit Ama?) that Microsoft has made guarantees to devs that all units will be shipping with Kinect, to encourage them to develop games around it.

if that percentage drops to 50 or 30 percent of skus, Microsoft could be looking at lawsuits.
It's not about lawsuits. It's about MS dumping millions on millions on building Kinect from scratch. It uses tech not available anywhere else and has custom silicon with tens of thousands of man hours devoted to it. You can't leave that type of investment out to die.

They went all in with Kinect and are betting their entire Xbox business on it.

eznark

Banned

No shit, it's because a lot of people don't want a constantly on camera in their living room at any cost.

RYSE, and Crimson Dragon alone shows that they couldn't implement the new Kinect motion controls in any meaningful way, so now they are controller based games. So that already shows Microsoft failed to sell the quality of this new Kinect as something worthwhile. Now it's a total joke of a product that didn't prove itself at all.

Again, isn't that exactly what hardcore gamers wanted? I fail to see how taking what they learned last gen, and moving kinect functionality to ancillary game modes, and UI/UX funcions is anything but a good thing.

graboids

Don't understand how people can say Kinect will be awesome and also say that it HAS to be in the box for it to be a success, if it's so awesome won't it sell itself?

unless its not awesome.... hmmm

MS Employee 1: "I don't think we can trick people into buying Kinect a second time..."

MS Employee 2: "What if we make it mandatory, so they HAVE to buy it if they want to play Halo or Titanfall?"

MS Employee 1: "Hahahaha! Perfect!"

It's not about lawsuits. It's about MS dumping millions on millions on building Kinect from scratch. It uses tech not available anywhere else and has custom silicon with tens of thousands of man hours devoted to it. You can't leave that type of investment out to die.

They went all in with Kinect and are betting their entire Xbox business on it.

They will still have a sku with it. That is not dumping it, early adopters are the one who will get the system and they are the same one's that don't want kinect at all.

RoKKeR

Though all of MS's back pedaling is great for the industry, it's borderline embarrassing to see. I hope they don't do this, to be honest. Stick to your original vision and if doesn't work out right away, fix it.

Amir0x

Banned
Man offering it for $399.99 with a Kinect is a pretty good steal considering how much they'd likely lose at that point. It wouldn't be a selling point for me, but I will just put tape over it and turn off all its features and never utilize it again. Hope it's true, then maybe I can reduce the time it takes me to get an XBO from the end of next gen to maybe the middle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom