• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

handytips.info Rumor: Microsoft to 'reintroduce' Xbox1 @ event/may lower price to 399

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
There is a corporate mandate within MS that the One will not be sold at a loss.

Article's a load of toss.

Well, I'm sure there is... but MS also understands that starting off way behind in units sold could take YEARS to overcome financially as well.

Take a loss day 1, and make more profit in years 2 - 7.. or potentially make profit day 1.. but make reduced profits in years 2 - 7.

MS has got to know that for $100 premium you have to give consumers something other than Kinect 2. Dropping the price makes the best long term sense.

Assuming that at $500 there aren't taking a loss.. I think you just eat it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Make is cheaper than the ps4 and no mandatory kinect.

It's the one way to make me even consider a jump back to the XBOX at launch this fall.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
if this ends up being true then damn! free kinects for everyone? thats one hell of a package if its 349.99 with kinect 2.0 in the uk. Makes my life easier. Please be true!!

Jarlaxle

I'm already getting the Xbox One so if they do a price drop on it that would be fantastic. Basically it would help with buying the headset, play and charge kit and probably another controller (all things I would probably wait on otherwise).

daveo42

Banned
Microsoft to introduce the Xbox 540 (180+180+180)

Wouldn't that just be a 180? Seems like Microsoft is doing nothing but spinning.

I can't believe they would change the price at this point just to try and game additional momentum out of the gate. Not even sure what their BoM currently is, but to eat $100 on each console would mean they are insanely desparate to start out with sales parity to the PS4. Sonething that can't even happen if production numbers for Sony match their current preorder numbers.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Reads far too much like what an Xbox superfan WANTS them to do rather than anything based in reality.

Reintroducing a product before it even has a chance on the market is giving it a real stink of failure and desperation to it before even launching. I don't think Microsoft wants that aura.

How do you even find handytips.info?

Handy-Tips-logo-L.jpg

Moreover, how does what looks like a random geek news aggregator site with one news item a week get a scoop like this?

Handy Tip: They don't.

Arnie

If they manage to price match the PS4 and include a Kinect sensor then I'll probably opt for it over Sony's offering. Given the RAM revelations and my preference for the 360 this generation it seems like an obvious jump.

Not really a terrible move if they do it. There will be a ton of hate from GAF, but leading up to release that will all be in the past.

I really think people may be over estimating the cost of Kinect. Isn't all the silicon manufactured in house for it?

Also, even if they didn't drop the price. Wouldn't a free year of Gold with each Xbox One really do what they want to which is get everyone online? Once people sign up you hope for the renewals and use that for your future revenue stream. The goal with these consoles is to get them in your house and get you locked in.

GameSeeker

If Microsoft has to drop the price to $399 before they start shipping, that's an extreme level of corporate desperation & incompetence that you rarely see.

Rhindle

How do people even find these crappy sites?

Not that there's any doubt that a $399 SKU will happen. It's a question of when, not if.

Sendou

IMO, Nope...Software is king. MS doesn't have that in abundance so I don't think so. They can try though, but Sony built those bridges years ago. Better relationship = Better games.

What I see when I watch the list of PS4 exclusives doesn't really interest me. Knack, DRIVECLUB, Killzone and Order XXXX. Remedy's new IP alone would make me pick Xbox One over those games easily.

I don't really understand the bridges comment.

This is a really bizarre rumor. If my account of the situation is correct you can no longer preorder the Xbone anywhere, and supply may be limited especially with respect to demand. So dropping the price before launch would only benefit the people that were already going to buy anyways. Not to mention the $500 price point isn't an arbitrary number they arrived at, that is a dollar amount that they felt best positioned them for financial success. Dropping it a $100 before launch would be gutting nearly half a billion dollars in revenue, and destroy their profit margins.

I guess I could see a price adjustment in European territories to bring it more in line with the PS4 there, but the same issues are at play.

A "reintroduction" of a product rarely goes well. I'm taking this with a huge grain of salt. I will also flat out deny any chance they will reduce the price to $399. No way, no how.

Seemed to work well enough for the PS3 this past generation. (well, I guess that's more of a rebranding, but usually a rebranding is a sign of failure of some kind as well.)

GQman2121

Banned
Interesting title change.

This whole fiasco is fascinating. No one knows what the fuck they're going to do next. There's literally nothing they could do to surprise me at this point.

Well, I'm sure there is... but MS also understands that starting off way behind in units sold could take YEARS to overcome financially as well.

Take a loss day 1, and make more profit in years 2 - 7.. or potentially make profit day 1.. but make reduced profits in years 2 - 7.

MS has got to know that for $100 premium you have to give consumers something other than Kinect 2. Dropping the price makes the best long term sense.

Assuming that at $500 there aren't taking a loss.. I think you just eat it.

I'm sure Sony thought that with the PS3 too.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dropping the price now before the system is out makes no sense. Like none what so ever. There is no way they don't sell through every unit they make for at least a few months at $499.

Trey

I would rather see some interesting applications with Kinect compared to them getting rid of it. Very little difference between the consoles, aside from exclusives, as it is.

Raide

If they drop to 399 and show off what the Xbox One can offer, Sony will have a fight on their hands. Which is great for gamers! Bring on the competition.

knitoe

If they drop it $100 before the launch of the machine, I will lose my shit because that is how confident I am that it won't happen. Has a price change before launch ever happened before in the gaming industry?

Lastest is Nvidia Shield.

Anyway, do it Microsoft. Save me $100 on my launch preorder.

Dropping the price now before the system is out makes no sense. Like none what so ever. There is no way they don't sell through every unit they make for at least a few months at $499.
They might want to piss off early adopters. And, being sold out longer builds even more hype.

Drop Kinect completely, make the 1st tab you see on the dashboard have no ads with only items pertaining to your played games ... nothing else, then maybe I will come back to you and buy it as a second console, down the line.

I will not forget RROD, or how much the GUI/Xbox experience changed for me personally over the course of its lifetime.

Your nextgen intentions have been shown to the world, I do not know how you can ever put that back in a bottle.

Gorillaz

Early adopters will get burned pretty hard.

Thats the risk of being a early adopter. There is a good chance a deal or revisions will come up months after a launch. Thats why I'm not jumping for either until spring/Next holidays.

Still saying they will do the price drop this next spring/E3 in time for halo 5

asdad123

Has any console ever had a price drop before the actual release?

I doubt that it will happen, but if It does, I'd love to see Sony follow an maybe drop to $350.

not gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom