• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hans Zimmer, Unsatisfied with Batfleck, Really Misses Christian Bale’s Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2535748

Hahah what you are as high as your profile pic. Mainstream says nothing can top Bale and Dark knight Trilogy

I don't agree with him about it being a joke, but specifically the Batman part of those movies is maybe the weakest part of those movies, and Bale's Batman voice did become somewhat of a joke for a time, especially on lines like "swear to me!"

I don't think it significantly diminishes the quality of the movies, though.

Edit: To be clear, I think Bale does a good job in the role, but I think he's much stronger as Bruce Wayne than Batman (which, to be fair, is the more interesting part anyway)

He's wrong. But Bale's Batman gets put up on a pedestal. Batman's fight scenes in those movies were weak as hell, and his "Batman" voice was terrible. Beside's that, Christian Bale did a great job.

"Besides the cool stuff, he did a great job"

giphy.gif

LMAO

Jarmel

Banned
He's wrong. But Bale's Batman gets put up on a pedestal. Batman's fight scenes in those movies were weak as hell, and his "Batman" voice was terrible. Beside's that, Christian Bale did a great job.

I think most people recognize those issues but don't care because Nolan nailed so many other aspects. Characters aren't necessarily defined by how well their action scenes are shot.

Ashhong

Did we not already have this thread?

edit: maybe not. I hope people will actually read the article before posting a reply, but probably not. This is the time of clickbait and fake news afterall

Pau

I hate the "arrested development" interpretation of Bruce so for me this is a compliment for Batfleck.

I think this is a bit unfair. Three movies for Bale for himself, half a movie for Affleck.

Don't think that's unfair at all. Christian had better writing and directing to work with compared to Affleck having Snyder. Nolan understood the basic tenets of the character without having to be a fanboy, whereas Snyder completely missed the mark on who Batman is despite being a fanboy. Ridiculously ironic lol.

Ben is best batman for me. That was cemented as early as his Gotham introduction tbh. Then that warehouse scene made me shit bricks

But as amazing as afflecks aesthetic is for Wayne as well, Bale is far and away the GOAT Wayne imo.

Followed by the cartoons Bruce Wayne and then Affleck

Batman's fight scenes in those movies were weak as hell

That's not on Bale though.

Do you guys know what actors do? They bring to life a character written by a screenwriter and directed by the director. Bale didn't choreograph the fight scenes and neither did he shoot them.

I dunno, I personally think Ben Affleck is the best live-action Batman and Bruce Wayne to date, and Hans did a great theme for him with 'Beautiful Lie'

Though Bale's performance is spectacular. We are looking at two very different Bruce Waynes.

Do you only judge a movie based on action scenes? Don't get me wrong, that's a knock on Nolan, but when Nolan delivers on the character moments, development and a coherent story, the fight scenes really don't mean much.

Defuser

What Hans says more or less solidified for me Batman Begins is a better Batman movie because most of the focus was on Batman and his development. The look and feel of Gotham, the way Batman uses the bats, alot of Bat gliding.etc

TDK maybe a better movie but it wasn't a better batman movie than Begins. Heath stole the show, Gotham lost that feel the moment Nolan decided to film in New York.

As for TDKR...I rather not talk about it. TDK and TDKR Batman wasn't well written compared to Begins.

Hahah what you are as high as your profile pic. Mainstream says nothing can top Bale and Dark knight Trilogy

People love the movies yea, but when is Bale's Batman referenced in anyway that isn't raspy voiced mocking "where is he?!" quotes and shit like this:

all_about_batman_640_71.jpg

No doubt the movies he was apart of were good but nobody is waxing poetic about that actual character.

Jarmel

Banned
People love the movies yea, but when is Bale's Batman referenced in anyway that isn't raspy voiced mocking "where is he?!" quotes and shit like this:

all_about_batman_640_71.jpg

No doubt the movies he was apart of were good but nobody is waxing poetic about that actual character.

Wait, are we judging by memes?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Headlines run the world, even pointing out that the title is extremely misleading isn't going to prevent the majority of people from posting as if it's not.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Really? He found ready-to-believe-in-good, death metal singer Batman more inspiring?

There was a time above... a time before... there were perfect things... diamond absolutes. But things fall... things on earth. And what falls... is fallen. In the dream, it took me to the light. A beautiful lie.

You wrote an excellent piece based on that, Hans.

Shut up. Lol

Really? He found ready-to-believe-in-good, death metal singer Batman more inspiring?

You wrote an excellent piece based on that, Hans.

Shut up. Lol

Considering the core of Nolan's Batman is to continually fall and then find a way to redemption vs. Snyder's Batman just falling and descending further into darkness with no end in sight. It's easy to see why Bale's is more inspiring than Affleck's Batman.

Clickbaity af. That's not really what Hans said at all...plus he spent almost a decade working on another version of the character, it's pretty normal that he would be attached with that take on it.

Ashhong

Considering the core of Nolan's Batman is to continually fall and then find a way to redemption vs. Snyder's Batman just falling and descending further into darkness with no end in sight. It's easy to see why Bale's is more inspiring than Affleck's Batman.

Considering Snyder's Batman has only been in one movie and is already done with the darkness, it's easy to say you are full of shit. Like, did you even see BvS? Or did you fall asleep because it's just so boring

Not really Affleck's fault. Outside of the conversation with Alfred, you know zero about his personality in BVS.
Refilming Batman's parents getting killed for the millionth time doesn't elicit emotion like I think people think it does. You basically have a blank character.
Affleck can pull it off with a competent writer Im sure. Who knows if that'll ever happen though. Its going to be a big loss for everyone(fans included) if Affleck never gets to make a good Batman movie.

Bale was Batman. He did a great job even if the role was very curmudgeony by the end. Well acted. Not sure if we'll get as good as Bale and Cain.

WinFonda

Bale was a weak Batman, but a good Bruce Wayne.

Affleck is a better Batman, jury is still out on his Bruce but I think he's got potential.

Keaton is still GOAT.

I wish they'd stop with the voice modulating shit on Ben's Batman tho, it really brings it down for me.

What Hans says more or less solidified for me Batman Begins is a better Batman movie because most of the focus was on Batman and his development. The look and feel of Gotham, the way Batman uses the bats, alot of Bat gliding.etc

TDK maybe a better movie but it wasn't a better batman movie than Begins. Heath stole the show, Gotham lost that feel the moment Nolan decided to film in New York.

It was actually filmed in Chicago. I thought the locale shift for Gotham in TDK was fine for the grounded crime story it was trying to tell. Got rid of the weird sci Fi train tracks and Wayne Tower. Gotham still felt very dangerous in TDK because you weren't sure who was corrupt or not.

EGM1966

"Really missing" is a stretch. Afleck was solid enough the script and narrative just weren't there for him. This would have given Zimmer issues too. He's just noting the changes to character gave issues vs what he was already accustomed to.

Nolan and the gang always seemed pretty sure of the tone/themes they were going for which allowed everything to align. Snyder' yone/themes were literally all over the place.

I really didn't like BvS at all but I'd still be interested in a proper Afleck Batman film.

jett

D-Member
Good scripts also influence film composers, news at eleven.

Is it really surprising Zimmer didn't care for Batman Bin Suparman?

p.s. Batfleck is awful, Baleman forever.

Bale will always be the best Batman to me the same reason why Toby Maguire will be the best Spider-Man. They were making the comic book carachter fit in with them rather than have themselves fit in with the comic book carachter.

Sojgat

Even in a poorly written role that turned the character into a brutal murderer, Affleck is still the best live action Batman ever.

I can definitely see where Zimmer is coming from as a composer though. Attached to his previous interpretation, and given very little to work with. It was a weird decision to get him for this in the first place. That lack of originality and imagination is just typical of BvS in general I guess.

VeeP

"Besides the cool stuff, he did a great job"

He played a good Bruce Wayne, his scenes with Alfred were great, I really enjoyed his playboy antics in the movies, etc. He had a lot of good moments.

I think most people recognize those issues but don't care because Nolan nailed so many other aspects. Characters aren't necessarily defined by how well their action scenes are shot.

And that's fine. Nolan did a great job. But a lot of people think his Batman was perfect, and it wasn't. It had flaws. But they nailed every other aspect, which more than made up for it.

That's not on Bale though.

Do you guys know what actors do? They bring to life a character written by a screenwriter and directed by the director. Bale didn't choreograph the fight scenes and neither did he shoot them.

Okay? I'm not insulting Bale or anything. But more the character himself. When people talk about Batfleck, are they only talking about his acting ability, or the character he represents? On NeoGAF, the discussion usually revolves around how Batfleck kills people, his action scenes, how he's grumpy, etc. They are basically commenting on how he is portrayed. And when I talk about Christian Bales Batman, I'm doing the same thing. Not knocking his acting, but his Batman.

And oh shit, Actors Act? Thanks for letting me know.

Do you only judge a movie based on action scenes? Don't get me wrong, that's a knock on Nolan, but when Nolan delivers on the character moments, development and a coherent story, the fight scenes really don't mean much.

Did you miss the last part of my comment. Here, I'll repeat it for you, and you know what, I'll bold it as well. That way you don't miss it.

Beside's that, Christian Bale did a great job.

Now, why you think I only judge a movie based on it's action scenes, I don't know. I quoted Bunnybear, who quoted someone who said this:

Bale's Batman is basically seen as a joke these days.

If you want to hype up his Bruce Wayne that's another thing but his Batman was always the worst part of those films.

And I stated THIS PERSON is wrong. But I merely stated Bale's Batman wasn't perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom