• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th anniversary Chrono Trigger!

Josh5890

One of the great video games of all time. This game reached a standard that many games afterwards never reached it. Unfortunately this franchise will probably never see another new entry.

AdanVC

A masterpiece in every single aspect. Amazing gameplay, terrific story, absolutely wonderful soundtrack, epic character design with Akira Toriyama at his very best. Wish I could had played this game originally in 1995 but I was only 5 and even though I was already playing Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, RPGs weren't a thing at home so we never got this game. However, I played it a few years ago and what an awesome experience it was. Happy 20th.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Holy shit I'm old :/ chrono trigger 20 years old and my 20 year high school reunion lol

I remember downloading the midi of Corridor when I was a freshmen in college.

On a Macintosh compatible!

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
More games really need endings where you can walk around/talk to the developers.

Agreed, it was interesting to see what they had to say after all their work was done. I also checked out the variations between the SNES and DS translations, a few were a bit different.

Altazor

One of the greatest games ever. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of it again, sadly.

Oh, and GOAT-tier soundtrack, definitely.

suzu

Oh wow, it's been that long. CT is one of my absolute favorite games~

My favorite track is probably Wind Scene (the one that plays on the Middle Ages map).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, what challenge run can I do for this? My no-magicite run for VI was fun.

Time to break out the PS1 copy!

No Dual or Triple Techs.

It is worth mentioning that the OST can be bought on iTunes. One of the few gaming OSTs I've ever bought.

DJ_Lae

Great game, depending on the day I will very likely put it as my favourite game of all time.

Fantastic music, endearing (if somewhat one note) characters, interesting story. And its best quality is the economy of...everything. Battles flow by smoothly, the story is paced well and you're rarely if ever left feeling bored or frustrated because something's taking too long. Too many JRPGs, or RPGs in general, needed to borrow that from Chrono Trigger. Almost none did.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I missed the game as a child and I didn't play it until probably about 10 years ago, but it's definitely my favorite game of all time. It really nails everything I love about gaming, and JRPGs in particular. I could go on and on but everything has already been said. Oh And it's soundtrack is absolutely incredible.

Speaking of, gotta share these amazing renditions.

Corridors of Time

Schala's Theme

Dark_castle

The secrets/sidequests in CT is some of the best ever in the industry, especially during that time. Seriously, the whole sequence at the beginning of Leene Square, Sunken Desert, Ozzie Fort, Rainbow quest, Mother Brain, Luca's past, Magus or no Magus, the various Black Omen to explore and fight, very nice mixture of quests that expand upon characters, the world, finding unique weapons, secret, awesome party member, mini-games, secret boss fights, and so on.

Loved Chrono Trigger.

Hastati

Just got my mint condition Super Famicom complete in the mail. :D
But I can't afford the SNES version

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick it up? I'm looking for unopened/mint CT's, have seen a few in great condition in Japan but still searching.

Last time I checked a new SNES CT was about 2,000 dollars, but now I see things like this
:O

So pricey...

B.K.

I really wasn't into RPGs at the time Chrono Trigger came out. I rented it once and didn't get very far into it. Years later, I finally bought a copy from a local video store that was going out of business. I remember seeing copies of the game at Wal-Mart all the time. At one point, they had a stack of copies of the game for $10 each. I wish I had bought some of them back then.

george_us

Great game, depending on the day I will very likely put it as my favourite game of all time.

Fantastic music, endearing (if somewhat one note) characters, interesting story. And its best quality is the economy of...everything. Battles flow by smoothly, the story is paced well and you're rarely if ever left feeling bored or frustrated because something's taking too long. Too many JRPGs, or RPGs in general, needed to borrow that from Chrono Trigger. Almost none did.
So, so, SO very true. JRPGs pretty much went the opposite direction of CT's perfect pacing.

I would have loved to have played this as a young child. I played it when it released on Nintendo DS, and it was just magical. There's so much I don't remember about the game that I wish I could just go back and do it all over again. I just don't have the time these days, and I fear that it'll be worse as I grow older. At least I'll still have the memories of enjoying games like Chrono Trigger. Definitely miss those days.

All these years and this is still one of my favourite RPGs and video games. It doesn't happen a lot where I can say I like every single party member, but this is definitely one of those times. It's filled with really memorable moments too, such as the trial that calls you out on your in-game behaviour, still being hungry after using a futuristic healing station, trying to help Lucca's mother, being sneakily stalked by a bat, discovering the serenity of Zeal in the middle of a wasteland, stumbling on monsters who don't want any part of the war with humanity, and my personal favourite, reviving the forest. There is just something I found so sad but beautiful about leaving your robro behind in the past to try and replant a forest, only to see it succeed and its rusted, overgrown remains be honoured in a shrine. While apparently Yuji Horii was not credited as a scenario writer, I do see a lot of his "style" in this game.
Wow, so what did Square do for this amazing games' 20th anniversary?
Please be excited for All The Bravest: Chrono Edition on mobile devices near you.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
My favorite game of all time, Ive done a god deal of fanart for it over the years

epoch_in_time_xavier_garcia.jpg

frog.jpg

chrono_trigger_cast.jpg

Anytime I can pay tribute to that game, I will. Happy 20th, friend.

Good God, I love this game. I think this is GOAT for me. Didn't get into RPGs until '98 when someone in my class introduced me to FF7, and afterwards I went back and played all of the old classics.

This game was magical. The art, the music, the scenario...I'm so happy that I got to experience it all.

Ah fuck, might have to go back and replay it again.

20 years already? I remember paying roughly $120.00 Canadian for this game when it was brand new from a Zellers department store, and I even had the Nintendo Power Chrono Trigger Players guide too.
Code:
[IMG]http://www.cot.drackir.com/Player%27s%20Guide.jpg[/IMG]
The game was awesome. But I haven't touched it in nearly a decade.

MLH

Amazing game. Europe didn't get a chance to officially play this until the DS re-release in 2009, I had played it previously on a SNES emulator like many of the RPGs Europe missed.
But I'm so happy knowing I own a European version of this game after being a fan for much longer. Quite possibly my favourite RPG of all time.

Happy Anniversary Chrono Trigger!

MLH

Happy birthday Chrono Trigger.

To commemorate, here are some screenshots from baby Chrono Trigger before it was born:

Wow that's the first time I've see those pictures, I love seeing stuff like this.

vprAMBZ.jpg

This was the earliest shots of Chrono Trigger I had seen before you had shown those above.
Showing moves that weren't in the final version afaik, including one that was used in the final box art.

Top Bottom