• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Halloween

rykomatsu

Not sure if there are going to be trick-or-treaters this Halloween, what with the pandemic.

And, with that, was too lazy to buy and carve a pumpkin...a first in almost 20 years, even though we don't have kids...

So, just used a less messy alternative with some discarded rubbish my dog brought home from the lake.

What's GAF up to tonight?

XoyTA0b.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I love giving kids candy.

My neighbourhood doesn't have a ton and last year was bad weather and I literally got less than 10 rings of the doorbell. The forecast is cold but clear so should be back to around 30 rings.

All I know is if you're smart, you do trick or treating later at night because guys like me are wrapping up and will give you handfuls of whatever is left to get rid of it.

Don't be a 6:30 pm trick or treater. Be a 9 pm visitor.

Last edited:
You totally shouldn't sneak a peek at Emma Stone's either fwiw. They're not my personal favorite or anything
Me neither.
Her feet are totally not gorgeous.

And yeah, happy halloween to everybody...

Usually I do a party for around 20 to 30 people in my flat each year, but with the shit pandemic's second wave happening right now I had to cancel.

Well, next year then.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Me neither.
Her feet are totally not gorgeous.

And yeah, happy halloween to everybody...

Usually I do a party for around 20 to 30 people in my flat each year, but with the shit pandemic's second wave happening right now I had to cancel.

Well, next year then.
teezzy teezzy
Sorry boys...I like Emma Robert's feet like 10x more. I don't even like Stone's...and I totally didn't just look up both of theirs and compare, cause that'd be weird to do on a Halloween night, amirite?
Y7uk.gif

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned
This'll be the first year my wife and I don't carve a pumpkin. No real reason, I guess. Other than that we generally just watch horror movies on Halloween, but since we've been working a lot lately we've been celebrating since Wednesday watching stuff where we can find the time.

JimiNutz

Banned
Happy Halloween GAF!
We aren't really going out here but are celebrating at home via games, movies and alcohol.

Watched The Witch last night (brilliant film in my opinion).

Been drinking since mid day and am about to continue my co-op playthrough of Luigi's Mansion 3 with the gf.

Then we'll watch some Simpsons Halloween specials (I got a Disney+ subscription for Mando Season 2).

Then once darkness arrives we'll be moving into Bloodborne! I've managed to convince the gf to play with me - every time we die we have to do a shot. Hopefully we can beat the first boss together.

Once we're finished with Bloodborne and are sufficiently smashed we'll move onto watching Hereditary (another brilliant film).

After that it'll be a pretty normal evening. I've purchased a small goat that we'll sacrifice in the garden and then we'll have sex in the garden covered in the goats blood and guts under the moonlight.

Once I've cum and hopefully conceived the son of Satan I'll probably have a post-fucking joint and listen to some Black Metal before bed.

Hail Satan.

How is it a holiday?

Isn't it? I guess it depends on your definition of that label.

For me, I use that term for a communally acknowledged festive occasion, whether or not it's a period free from work. I realize that may push the traditional definition(s), but language is flexible and ever-changing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would classify it as a "holiday". But again, meaning depends on the individual.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

How is it a holiday?
It’s not, it’s a made up day for corporations to sell you more useless shit and candy.
As a immigrant we never did Halloween , sure we passed out candy to little shits in the neighborhood but never went Trick or Treating ourselves. 🤷‍♂️
No big loss at least I still have all my teeth.

TindalosPup

Happy Halloween everybody!!

A little lesson on Halloween if anyone is curious/doesn't know:

It's an ancient Celtic (Samhain)/ Gaelic (Samhuinn)/ Welsh (Nos Calan Gaeaf) holiday/festival that marks the end of Summer, the time for harvest, and the thinning of the veil between the world of the dead and the world of the living.

The original practice was bonfires, feasts/offerings, and dressing as something that would ward off the spirits that may walk the Earth again tonight with ill intent.

While it was Christianized into Hallows Eve (long for Halloween) and All Saint's Day (Nov. 1), and then commercialized to hell by candy and costume companies, it is still a legitimate holiday

About 50% of my ancestry comes from the areas this originated in, I still hold the belief the dead (among other things) walk tonight. I think people should really look into things before calling them not a holiday, you wouldn't say such of Mexico's celebration of Dia de los Muertos.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Happy Halloween folks!

cf5c632f87e54adedc56f765ad223f0a.png

interesting how this holiday has lasted for so long. it's one of the big folk traditions in America. people get real fired up over it. i think a lot of the appeal is just folks wanting to party. women can dress up extra slutty, everyone indulges their power fantasies. i have lots of memories of going to awesome huge parties, everyone in costume, and people drinking and making out, dancing to Thriller, all that shit. CLASSIC AS FUCK.

it is interesting how a holiday so based around death happens nears the start of the fall. each year this is the start of things dying, of cold weather, of earlier and earlier nights. it makes so much sense, all the iconography, combined with the seasonal changes, and the traditional rhythms of life. we might have entirely removed from our ancestor's day-to-day, sitting in front of screens in air conditioned rooms, but we still feel these traditions.

it makes sense in a Christian-pagan syncretic framework as well. it is a sort of "death" that the entire planet goes through each year, we literally watch leaves die and fall from trees all around us. then we enter the cold winter. Christmas arrives, the birth of hope, the North Star, the reverse from coldness back to warmth. culminating, ultimately, in Jesus's death and rebirth at Easter. Halloween acts almost as a yearly Sodom and Gomorrah that plunges the world into darkness. you get the sense that back in the day, it was the last time all year to really party down before the weather got unbearable.

lol people bitching about it being commercial. nerds. who cares? it is all about pagan idolization. all about fantasy. nowadays that includes a lot of corporate super heroes and mascots. so what? you still see them mixed in with traditional ghouls like vampires and zombies and historic characters like pirates and ninjas as well. it's pretty rad tbh.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm going to inflict one of my favourite horror movies on my other half:

NO MORE TEARS. IT'S A WASTE OF GOOD SUFFERING.

JimiNutz

Banned
Happy Halloween GAF!
We aren't really going out here but are celebrating at home via games, movies and alcohol.

Watched The Witch last night (brilliant film in my opinion).

Been drinking since mid day and am about to continue my co-op playthrough of Luigi's Mansion 3 with the gf.

Then we'll watch some Simpsons Halloween specials (I got a Disney+ subscription for Mando Season 2).

Then once darkness arrives we'll be moving into Bloodborne! I've managed to convince the gf to play with me - every time we die we have to do a shot. Hopefully we can beat the first boss together.

Once we're finished with Bloodborne and are sufficiently smashed we'll move onto watching Hereditary (another brilliant film).

After that it'll be a pretty normal evening. I've purchased a small goat that we'll sacrifice in the garden and then we'll have sex in the garden covered in the goats blood and guts under the moonlight.

Once I've cum and hopefully conceived the son of Satan I'll probably have a post-fucking joint and listen to some Black Metal before bed.

Hail Satan.

Fucking hell, she did it, she beat the first boss of Bloodborne within the hour :messenger_grinning_sweat:

beanman25

We set out a bowl of baggies w 5 pieces in each. Have a bottle of wine for each of us, and are sitting a safe distance back. Happy Halloween!

Top Bottom