• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

Tevious

As someone who doesn't care at all for amiibo or toy collecting in general, I'm finding myself getting a bit annoyed at how Nintendo's implementing amiibo in Twilight Princess HD. I'm not that familiar with what amiibo does in most other games, but I know that Mario Kart 8 was just costumes, and I was fine with that. In Smash Bros its some AI thing you train and fight against. However, here's what they do in Twilight Princess and why I have a problem with it.

latest

Link amiibo
Restores your arrow count to full.

Whatever, I don't have a problem with this one. It's essentially just a cheat and not that impactful.

0eyfb2r66sob5cvzg.jpg

Zelda amiibo
Restores your health to full.

Again, I have no problem with this one.

i36m29z8kb2ufztzg.jpg

Wolf-Link amiibo
Unlocks the new "Twilight Cave" arena battle dungeon which rewards the
"Bottomless Wallet' and increases your max rupee count to 9999.

So now we're locking significant in-game content behind Day One DLC in the disguise of a plastic toy. Anyone who doesn't want amiibo figures can't play in this dungeon. Anyone who buys the game digitally won't have access to this dungeon until they sell the Wolf-Link amiibo separately from the physical release of the game. If there's ever a future where this amiibo is impossible to find or outrageously overpriced by 3rd party sellers, this dungeon won't be accessible to most people. While I think its BS that Nintendo is locking this kind of content behind a toy line, I can live without that dungeon reward, and its not even what pisses me off the most...

latest

Ganondorf amiibo
Link takes x2 damage.

Nintendo now has the audacity to lock a difficulty mode behind a ~$12.99 toy figure.

Think Twilight Princess was too easy, you say? Play "Hero Mode" for x2 damage and no hearts. Oh, don't want to play the game in mirror-world? Fuck you, go buy the Ganondorf amiibo. Want to play the game with x4 damage in Hero Mode? Fuck you, go buy the Ganondorf amiibo.

Edit: Some people seem to be confused. I'm not saying Hero Mode is locked behind the Ganondorf amiibo. I know that Hero Mode is x2 damage, no hearts, and its also a Mirrored World Mode. The Ganondorf amiibo is just a sort of "Hard Mode" that makes either the normal game harder or the Hero Mode even harder by increasing damage an extra x2.

So now if you only played the Wii version before (with the mirrored world) and you want to experience this game fresh in the world as it was originally meant to be portrayed, Hero Mode isn't an option. Either you buy the Ganondorf amiibo or you make a conscious effort to balance the game's difficulty yourself by avoiding full heart pieces given by bosses and skipping chests that may have heart pieces inside. If you want to play with x4 damage that causes a full heart lost per hit by easy mobs, then you need to play in both Hero Mode and with the Ganondorf amiibo.

It's such a shame that Nintendo can't offer multiple difficulty modes for Zelda games. If the game's normal difficulty was "Easy Mode", then perhaps there could be a "Moderate Mode" with x2 damage and fewer hearts. Then a "Hard Mode" with x3 damage and even fewer hearts. And last, a "Hero Mode" with x4 damage and no hearts. Mirror Mode should have been it's own thing not tied to difficulty.

So GAF, do you agree or disagree? What do you think should have been the amiibo in-game features for Twilight Princess HD? Feel free to discuss any controversial amiibo decisions in other games.

Also, I just had to make this gif with some people's suggestion to just buy the Ganondorf amiibo, lol.

chyjsgrnzwdl5tkzg.jpg

how is this controversial? its extra content that they didnt have to implement

Edit: also after Nintendo's losses Amiibo have been a great source of income, why wouldn't they implement wherever they could

Reset

If I remember correctly Code Name Steam and Fire Emblem have characters/units locked behind Amiibos.
I hate Amiibos and consider them to be the worst form of DLC.

Chase17

Amiibo do nothing.

Amiibo do too much.

There is no winning. I don't mind but I'm planning on getting the bundle so I'm probably not the right person to comment on it.

Banned
Yeah I'm all digital on Wii U and I can't believe harder difficulty is locked behind the fucking ganondorf amiibo. And the extra dungeon being locked behind an amiibo that only comes bundled with a disc version of the game is asinine.

btrboyev

Wolf link amiibo comes with the majority of the first run does it not? Not a huge deal. Most hardcore Nintendo fans already probably have the Zelda Amiibos anyway.

This again?

I mean.. I understand and agree with you. But seems like I see this thread every day. Ahaha

Well, I like amiibos! But they are very expensive here in Brazil, so there's a lot of features that I am missing :/

But I would pay 13$ with a big smile on my face!

Maximo

how is this controversial? its extra content that they didnt have to implement

Edit: also after Nintendo's losses Amiibo have been a great source of income, why wouldn't they implement wherever they could

Content they could have given free for a HD version of the game.

I don't see why Nintendo couldn't just throw these extras up as like DLC on the shop. So stupid to only lock content behind plastic toys.

hawk2025

It's pretty terrible.

I'm more annoyed by the Gamestop exclusive soundtrack, though.

It's a damned remaster and we have ridiculous, retailer-exclusive content. Awful.

Its indifferent to me.
As long I get the original game, anything extra is whatever to me. (this applies to all ports i'm interested in)

I play Zelda games for their Story and a Good Adventure, they never been about difficulty for me, besides real difficulty for me are solving the puzzles and Dungeons, not enemies damages.
This game gives you so many options for attacking and defending that its rather difficult to ever die.

Somnid

No, I don't agree. Extra features are fine, hell even some content is fine. Value is different to different people, they don't need to please everyone here, and they won't because views on Amiibo are mutually exclusive, so it makes most sense they go with the pro-Amiibo stance since they are selling a product and an ecosystem.

Reebot

"I'll take gaming culture 101 for $400 Alex."

"Any other company would get destroyed, but tying over-priced DLC to plastic figures is A-OK for this Japanese giant."

"Nintendo!"

"Sorry, all answers must be in the form of a question."

Trace

Banned
Amiibos are probably the worst form of DLC ever made.

I don't know why other people don't see them as such, they're worse than horse armor ever was.

z0m3le

Banned
the digital game is $10 cheaper, so getting the retail version comes with the amiibo and that extra $10 you pay gives you not only the figure but a dungeon? sounds like DLC to me. The game is whole without all these extras as this is the 3rd release of the game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's pretty terrible.

I'm more annoyed by the Gamestop exclusive soundtrack, though.

It's a damned remaster and we have ridiculous, retailer-exclusive content. Awful.

Hey, at least you're getting it.

Canada doesn't even get the soundtrack at all.

I'm not sure what to think about Amiibos. On one hand, having a physical figurine is neat, but for it to also lock away some element of a game (however inconsequential some might deem it) with no alternative unlock method is...lame.

I like Nintendo too, but let's not pretend this isn't microtransactions/DLC by any other name.

hawk2025

Hey, at least you're getting it.

Canada doesn't even get the soundtrack at all.

I'm not -- Gamestop refuses to compete with other retailers that are better in every way. I ain't paying an extra $12 plus shipping for that. All Nintendo achieved was to gimp my order.

Luigi87

Amiibos are preparing us for the future!
When our dystopian society no longer has access to the Internet and therefore will be unable to download DLC, we will still have our Amiibos!

KarmaCow

Amiibos are probably the worst form of DLC ever made.

I don't know why other people don't see them as such, they're worse than horse armor ever was.

Yup, really don't like this trend. At the very least making stuff exclusive to Amiibos, especially stuff that is not intrinsically tied to having a physical object you can tap on the gamepad is awful.

ReyVGM

This is DLC in the form of Amiibo.

If don't buy the DLC, you don't play the extra dungeon. It's as simple as that.
Works just like any other game out there.

I'd be less offended if TP didn't already have the lowest combat difficulty of basically any Zelda. Hero Mode basically needs the Ganondorf alteration.

BY2K

Membero Americo

"Any other company would get destroyed, but tying over-priced DLC to plastic figures is A-OK for this Japanese giant."

"Nintendo!"

Nintendo gets as much heat about DLC with plastic toys as Warner did with Lego Dimension.

Ivan 3414

Most of that is pretty minor stuff. The Ganondorf amiibo shouldn't be weighed any more than the cheat codes, especially since nothing else changes in the game and you don't unlock anything for using it (apparently).

Also this "$12.99 for just X" argument comes up every time there's an extra in-game perk for owning an amiibo. A big selling point for amiibos is that you can use them for multiple games and apps. And many amiibo functions in games wouldn't even be implemented period, if amiibo didn't exist.

Nintendo avatar Nintendo avatar Nintendo Avatar

seat

It's great that they're making some easy and temporary money, but they're also losing fans, like me, who think this direction is really tacky. I have a Wii U and a 3DS, but I haven't bought a Nintendo product in over a year. Amiibo is one of the reasons why.

Faenix1

Op is pretty much the sole reason I'd avoid the remake like a plague.

(Don't got a Wii U, but after the Pikmin 3 re-print I'm strongly considering it again)

Tevious

They added a hard mode that wasn't in the original. Not sure why the ganondorf amiibo is such a big issue.

Because that Hero Mode is also in the mirrored world. Many of us already played the game in the Wii version which had the mirrored world. Part of the allure to this HD version is getting the chance to play this game again as it was originally meant to be portrayed (without the mirrored world).

I like Nintendo too, but let's not pretend this isn't microtransactions/DLC by any other name.

But I've owned a Ganondorf amiibo since it was released in Japan (I imported).

So I already have the amiibo, so this isn't really DLC or a microtransaction for people who already have the amiibo.

I bought it because I like Ganondorf and wanted a cheap figure of him. I had no idea what uses it would have when I bought it, just that it would have them eventually.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It's fine, not that big of a deal. You're getting the complete game in HD, that's what you're paying for. If you pay extra, you get extra content. News at 11.

Ivan 3414

"Nintendo!"

Yeah Activision and Disney are just getting demolished right now

Ridley327

Nintendo gets as much heat about DLC with plastic toys as Warner did with Lego Dimension.

Wasn't WB getting raked over the pricing more than anything else? LEGO sets are way too damn expensive as it is, even without a game component.

Because that Hero Mode is also in the mirrored world. Many of us already played the game in the Wii version which had the mirrored world. Part of the allure to this HD version is getting the chance to play this game again as it was originally meant to be portrayed (without the mirrored world).
That still seems like a slightly silly complaint. OoT3D is the same way.

But I've owned a Ganondorf amiibo since it was released in Japan (I imported).

So I already have the amiibo, so this isn't really DLC or a microtransaction for people who already have the amiibo.

I bought it because I like Ganondorf and wanted a cheap figure of him. I had no idea what uses it would have when I bought it, just that it would have them eventually.

What if you don't own the amiibo but would like the extra difficulty, or the additional dungeon?

donny2112

Hero Mode is not locked behind amiibo usage. Hero Mode mirrors the world (i.e. the Wii world layout), takes x 2 damage, and has less (no?) heart container drops. Ganondorf adds a x 2 damage wherever he's used whether that's in regular mode or Hero Mode. In Hero Mode, using him makes the damage x 4. Hero Mode is not locked behind Ganondorf, though.

Top Bottom