• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

Alfredo

Remember that Amiibo are compatible with an increasing number of games. When you buy the Ganondorf Amiibo, you aren't paying $10 for hard mode in Twilight Princess, you're paying $10 for a collectable figure, hard mode in Twilight Princess, a costume in Mario Maker, a costume in Yoshi Yarn, a thing in Smash, a thing in Hyrule Warriors, and whatever else they want to use this amiibo for in future games.

You might not care about all of those features, but that's Nintendo's approach with Amiibo currently. You buy one and can use it in multiple games for all sorts of things.

Couldn't Nintendo theoretically make even more money by putting out these Amiibo features as digital DLC for people who aren't interested in buying Amiibo (or aren't able to track down rare ones)?

And then they can make money on them again when they buy the digital Amiibo DLC for a separate game, or when they finally decide to plunk down some cash on a physical Amiibo.

By actually giving people these options, the "deal" you get with the physical Amiibo might become a little more apparent.

Of course, this is assuming people are okay with these features being DLC in the first place.

Nights87

Ok so, someone correct me if I'm wrong here but it seems like the following with regards to difficulty:

Normal = Non hero mode.
Hard = Hero Mode or Ganon Amibo.
Very Hard = Hero Mode with Ganon Amibo.

As is, to play the game at its most difficult level players are required to buy a $10 plastic figurine. I think its understandable that people are upset. I'm upset if this is the case.

AndrewPL

Amiibo is fine, re-releasing this boring game is a problem!

I hope they fix it so it is fun and the first 10 hours don't drag.

I still haven't been able to drag myself to finish this game on the Wii,fixing waggle would help but there are still a lot of flaws.

Ridley327

Is Ganondorf a difficulty mode or a temporary stat-down? Couldn't you just collect half as many heart pieces? There are some very clear lenses in effect here.

He's a modifier that lasts the length of a play session, or until you die. Unlike the other non-Wolf Link figures, he can be rescanned if you do die, so you can keep going with the modifier in place for as long as you'd like.

It's worth noting that all he does is the 2x modifier. On Normal, you'll still be able to pick up hearts from cutting grass and whatnot, so he won't impact anything else other than the damage. Hero mode is where the real fun begins, since he bumps it up to 4x damage, along with all the other adjustments made in that mode.

Seems pretty easy to ignore, I personally have no interest in any of those features. I'm not saying it's cool and I agree, it's kinda stupid but at the same time not really a big deal IMO.

donny2112

Ok so, someone correct me if I'm wrong here but it seems like the following with regards to difficulty:

Normal = Non hero mode.
Hard = Hero Mode or Ganon Amibo.
Very Hard = Hero Mode with Ganon Amibo.

As is, to play the game at its most difficult level players are required to buy a $10 plastic figurine. I think its understandable that people are upset. I'm upset if this is the case.

That'd be like locking Lunatic Mode in Fire Emblem behind an amiibo unlock. Sure, it's annoying, but the only people it's going to affect are the die hard fans and masochists who probably already had the amiibo to begin with! :lol

Lotta people are saying things like "it's just dlc, buy the amiibo if you want the dlc." Here's the problem: you *cant* buy the Amiibo that unlocks a full dungeon, which is the best one. It's packaged only with the physical game. So for those of us who buy no physical games, all 100% digital, we are screwed, we can't possibly access all the content in the remaster.

Ridley327

Costumes would be more significant content than what is being offered.

It is pretty fucked up that they found an even worse reward for a Wolf Link-only Cave of Ordeals than the one you get from the normal Cave of Ordeals. You would think there would be better incentive for having to do so much Wolf Link combat than a larger wallet to spend on nothing.

Tevious

Amiibo unlocks have mostly been lightweight. It's no worse than any other DLC but I suppose in this case you at least get a toy too. If someone is against DLC in general I can see the dislike for this. However if they support DLC but see an issue with amiibos doing it I think it's hypocritical.

But I don't want a toy!

fernoca

I don't mind really. I'd actually love if the WindWaker HD LE came with a Gannondorf Amiibo instead of a statue and did the same thing if it meant we'd have gotten a toon Link Amiibo.

Wait... there isn't a toon Link Amiibo yet... is there?
VXXxhrU.jpg

The coolest thing about amiibo as dlc is that it works on multiple games. Imagine buying 1 dlc that works on 3 call of duty games.

I bought some amiibos for smash. They work with smash, mario kart, zelda, super mario maker ..etc

Plus they are physical collectibles of characters i love.

Thats better than paying for a digital dlc.

Nanashrew

Banned
It is pretty fucked up that they found an even worse reward for a Wolf Link-only Cave of Ordeals than the one you get from the normal Cave of Ordeals. You would think there would be better incentive for having to do so much Wolf Link combat than a larger wallet to spend on nothing.

It gives the magic armor more use. Or if you're in hero mode, you can have a lot of potions because there are no hearts. I wonder if they reduced how many rupees you'll find in chests now that stamps can be found in chests now too.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't have a problem with it. Zelda and Link are pointless perks. The dungeon seems to be very minor and the bottomless wallet is essentially worthless. Ganon is the only one that's really putting a "mode" behind a wall, and it's really a mode on a mode. Hero Mode is still in there.

Amiibo do nothing.

Amiibo do too much.

There is no winning. I don't mind but I'm planning on getting the bundle so I'm probably not the right person to comment on it.

Absolutely. If amiibo don't over enough value, people who buy them get angry. If amiibo give more value than a person who doesn't want them perceive them to be worth, they get angry. For some people, amiibo are mostly just about the figures. Other people don't care about the physical part at all and it's $13 DLC to them. It's kind of a losing proposition no matter what angle you come from. Still a successful business idea though, and I've found they've hit the balance pretty well, despite never being able to please everyone.

Amiibo are great! Buy them all.

Always listen to Diggeh people.

The_Kid

I honestly think people are making way too big a deal out of Amiibo functionality. 99% of it is nothing. People get mad when they add a ton of content to Amiibo, then get mad when there isn't enough. Nintendo can't win. I doubt any of it is content that would have been included in the game if the Amiibos didn't exist in the first place.

donny2112

The only amiibo I've bought because of the in-game content was the Toad amiibo for Treasure Trackers, and that was absolutely worth the price of admission. Everything else I got because I liked it/thought the character was cool. I may never have a real game use for my AC amiibo, for example, but I love having them!

Velcro Fly

I thought TPHD already had a hero mode, and that Ganondorf would be take 4x damage

The other ones that refill stuff are almost like a daily limited cheat DLC that I'll personally never use.

The wolf link amiibo? I'll have to play it before I say how I feel. I feel like doing a ton of wolf link combat to get a larger wallet to buy nothing is about as unobtrusive as added content behind an amiibo gets.

Imagine the fire if Ubisoft did this.

Ultimately what I'm hearing is that Nintendo can do this because they've got a portfolio, they've got so many studios under them, they've got probably more games in production than Sony and MS internally combined.

Which sounds fair, if you like Nintendo, or tend to enjoy the games they put out, this does sound like it offers a value, as they have control over what the amiibo can offer in all of these games.

Reebot

How is that worse than having your entire roster needing a plastic toy to use?

Could you imagine if, say you want to play Super Smash Bros for Wii U, you'd need the amiibo of the character you want to play it? But Nintendo isn't doing that, Activision is.

You seem think that I support Skylanders. I don't, and I've never defended them. But its a fundamentally different business model and product.

Placing additional DLC in a fan-demanded re-release behind plastic toys is worse, and something on which Nintendo hold a monopoly on forgiveness.

But if there was a one-time 13 dollar pass that unlocked new single player or spec-ops missions for the new CoD and several CoDs in the future? You best believe fans would be buying that pass in droves.

Ok? You've confused yourself if you think this analysis is on the fan side of the transaction. We're looking at the company.

Revven

So why not use it and then sell it to someone else? You don't have to keep the toy.

Well, that might work for most amiibo but not the Ganondorf amiibo which needs to be rescanned every time you die and/or turn the game off and then go to turn it back on.

I thought TPHD already had a hero mode, and that Ganondorf would be take 4x damage.

It does, the Ganondorf amiibo is a 2x multiplier that when you scan it while playing Hero Mode it stacks onto the existing 2x modifier Hero Mode has by default and thus equates to 4x the damage total.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You seem think that I support Skylanders. I don't, and I've never defended them. But its a fundamentally different business model and product.

Placing additional DLC in a fan-demanded re-release behind plastic toys is worse, and something on which Nintendo hold a monopoly on forgiveness.

Again, how is it worse? It's DLC vs something you cannot even play the base game without!

Chindogg

It's all "Ehhh", until it's "buy the amiibo to unlock the hookshot, required to beat the game!"

I think it's insideous.

Name one game where that's happened.

Until it does, this is nothing different than when Nintendo made a GB Color exclusive dungeon in Link's Awakening DX, only instead of needing a new console you use a figure that's included with every retail version of the game.

Ok? You've confused yourself if you think this analysis is on the fan side of the transaction. We're looking at the company.

In other words, you're cool with DLC and season passes in something like CoD that needs to be purchased to have the complete experience, but when Nintendo does it in an already complete game they're awful.

caleb1915

Absolutely. If amiibo don't over enough value, people who buy them get angry. If amiibo give more value than a person who doesn't want them perceive them to be worth, they get angry. For some people, amiibo are mostly just about the figures. Other people don't care about the physical part at all and it's $13 DLC to them. It's kind of a losing proposition no matter what angle you come from. Still a successful business idea though, and I've found they've hit the balance pretty well, despite never being able to please everyone.

Honestly the biggest problem the OP brings up is the availability, amiibos are notorious for their shortages, and Nintendo has done almost nothing to keep production up with their demand. Demand has only gotten higher, and shortages are still happening with every new Amiibo released. In the business world this is the perfect way to drive demand for a limited product that costs almost nothing for Nintendo to produce. This all ends with people who are buying up all these figures to sell at higher prices, and that's where $13 DLC becomes 20, 30, and 60 for people who just wanted 1 figure.

The fact that they are physical items tied to virtual goods means they are NOT DLC anymore, and it alienates the people who are fans of the game who can't get the physical representation of the content they want anymore.

Lanrutcon

"eh."
"It's Nintendo, why worry?"
"I see nothing wrong with this."

Queue the outrage in a few iterations when they've gone further and things aren't as grey.

"How did it ever come to this?!"

Yeah. How.

DeathPeak

Well, that might work for most amiibo but not the Ganondorf amiibo which needs to be rescanned every time you die and/or turn the game off and then go to turn it back on.

I mean, you use it until you're done with it. Previous games have worked by giving you the bonus content one scan a day.

Also, shortages haven't been a problem for awhile now, and previously hard to find amiibo have been getting restocks.

goldenpp72

I collect Amiibo and still don't care about their in game use. I guess to me it's hard to bitch because there is no precedent for this stuff being included otherwise. So far, Amiibo functions in games have brought in functions other titles have not had mostly, or tiny inconsequential things. It seems like you have a side who is buying them and wants a little something, and then a side that isn't buying them and is angry functions that likely wouldn't exist anyways, are being made specifically for them.

Based on that logic, the latter side needs to get over it, for real.

Kenai

I like Amiibo and own several, but it would be nice if there was a way to get that extra DLC without one.

"eh."
"It's Nintendo, why worry?"
"I see nothing wrong with this."

Queue the outrage in a few iterations when they've gone further and things aren't as grey.

"How did it ever come to this?!"

Yeah. How.

We'll cross that slippery slope when we come to it.

Chindogg

Honestly the biggest problem the OP brings up is the availability, amiibos are notorious for their shortages, and Nintendo has done almost nothing to keep production up with their demand. Demand has only gotten higher, and shortages are still happening with every new Amiibo released. In the business world this is the perfect way to drive demand for a limited product that costs almost nothing for Nintendo to produce. This all ends with people who are buying up all these figures to sell at higher prices, and that's where $13 DLC becomes 20, 30, and 60 for people who just wanted 1 figure.

The fact that they are physical items tied to virtual goods means they are NOT DLC anymore, and it alienates the people who are fans of the game who can't get the physical representation of the content they want anymore.

There hasn't been much of a shortage in months.

I have a complete collection of US Amiibos and I never paid more than retail for any of them. I was just patient and waited for the rereleases.

What I love the most is the narrative that if it wasnt for amiibos, the content wouldnt be here in the first place. Lol.

50 dollars hd remaster of ONE game with on disk DLC. And you have people to defend that.

Of course amiibos have gone too far. And its not over yet as people keep defend that.

Yeah, it's horseshit. I agree.

Thankfully, I'm just interested in the base game and won't be using any cheats in the form of amiibos. I haven't bought one, nor will I ever.

Reebot

In other words, you're cool with DLC and season passes in something like CoD that needs to be purchased to have the complete experience, but when Nintendo does it in an already complete game they're awful.

Literally the exact opposite. I think both are equally bad, and the player's willingness to be exploited isn't at issue. That's actually what I wrote. I don't even know how you misread.

Its almost impressively wrong.

Please, don't put words in my mouth if you can't be bothered to check their accuracy.

Again, how is it worse? It's DLC vs something you cannot even play the base game without!

The fan exploitation angle really rubs me the wrong way. Skylanders doesn't have this element.

Jobbs

Banned
It's fine. It's nice to see amiibos actually doing something.

Have the amiibo? Get something extra. Sounds fair to me.

It really baffles me how many people aren't seeing the problem with this. "You pay extra, you get extra content..." except these are cheat codes, which used to be included for free, and a bonus dungeon that Nintendo blocked non-Amiibo owners from playing just so they could make more money. Day one DLC that isn't just cosmetic/inconsequential stuff is bad, and Nintendo doesn't deserve a free pass to get minimal flak for it just because they're Nintendo.

Top Bottom