• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

Cipherr

So now we're locking significant in-game content behind Day One DLC in the disguise of a plastic toy.

It's always been this. There was never a point when it wasn't. What you consider 'significant' is pretty subjective. Some people probably care a lot about some of the other stuff you see as trivial.

It has really always been content dlc on disc gated behind a purchase period. The only surprising thing is that they aren't selling the dlc outside of the Amiibos. They would make MORE money that way more than likely. But I dont think they care.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think it's a pretty clever implementation of day-one dlc, something that makes people want to buy the game new instead of used without that figure. But I guess I'm supposed to feel violated for being coaxed into buying a game new, or something. You might possibly have a point with digital buyers, but what are they supposed to do there? It's not a huge deal either way.

It was always shit. With their constantly dwindling fanbase, Nintendo had two routes to take. Either take drastic steps to massively expand the user base for their games (i.e. go multiplatform) or double down on squeezing as much money as possible out of their very small but also very loyal fans.

They seem to have chosen the second option, and I guess, at least in the short term, it's working well for them. I scratched my head at the positive response back when Amiibos were announced as it was obvious to me that it would be horrible for consumers in the end but it seems many fans accept it, so more power to them I guess.

You have to wonder though, which of the two approaches outlined above would have actually been better for Nintendo fans in the long term?

How are they horrible for consumers when they look awesome and consumers get real value out of that? I love my pikachu amiibo even though I do absolutely nothing with it.

Sushigod7

You don't HAVE to play the extra dungeon you can play the base game with HD visuals etc and have fun. BTW the game + Amiibo are $60 or less if you have Gamer Club or Prime. Even without those discounts you essentially getting him for free? Unless you think the HD version of this game isn't worth $60.

I love amiibo as costumes. Using them in Wooly World and Mario Maker was great. Anything else feels gross to me. I just wish they would update games to be compatible with all the Amiibo. The Shovel Knight amiibo feels like a second-class citizen compared to the rest.

Seik

Banned
IDK, Hero Mode is there, as always.

The Wolf Link Amiibo dungeon feels a bit wrong, on this I concur. But I'm sure that dungeon won't be that awesome anyways, we'll know that soon enough.

4X Damage feels like a 'why not' bonus to me. It could've just not been there if Amiibo never existed.

Silvawuff

This is like one of the main reasons I won't support Nintendo as a business. And you know what? That's fine. They're doing well specifically because of stuff like this, but it's definitely not for me.

Ehh I can't really muster up the ability to care about things like this. It's a remake of a game that already has extra content added in. Now the mario party shit was insane, should have seen that.

The Wolf link and Gamondorf contend irk me. I want to have the 2X modifier especially, but will not be buying an amiibo.

Hero Mode is included with the game without needing to use an Amiibo. If you have the Amiibo and use it on Hero Mode, you do, however, get a 4x modifier.

In that survey last week I chose 'collectable' over 'gameplay' for how amiibo should be used. I'm doing my part. I also wish I could buy a physical TP without the amiibo.

rpmurphy

I don't get how OP is more irked by Ganondorf amiibo than Wolf Link. It's a far more trivial unlockable for a widely-available separately-sold amiibo that already has multiple supported games for it.

StereoVsn

You don't HAVE to play the extra dungeon you can play the base game with HD visuals etc and have fun. BTW the game + Amiibo are $60 or less if you have Gamer Club or Prime. Even without those discounts you essentially getting him for free? Unless you think the HD version of this game isn't worth $60.
Why would a bare minimum port worth $60? Ports are very rarely worth the full asking price.

It was always shit. With their constantly dwindling fanbase, Nintendo had two routes to take. Either take drastic steps to massively expand the user base for their games (i.e. go multiplatform) or double down on squeezing as much money as possible out of their very small but also very loyal fans.

They seem to have chosen the second option, and I guess, at least in the short term, it's working well for them. I scratched my head at the positive response back when Amiibos were announced as it was obvious to me that it would be horrible for consumers in the end but it seems many fans accept it, so more power to them I guess.

You have to wonder though, which of the two approaches outlined above would have actually been better for Nintendo fans in the long term?

& done. there's few things nintendo could've done to discourage me more in having any interest in their current (& likely future) console than the incorporation of amiibos on this scale. &, no, i don't see this working for them long-term, any more than motion-control did...

NeonBlack

I feel like if this was any other company this wouldn't be so accepted. 5 dollar dlc to keep your *insert* full through the entire game and another 10 to unlock the new dungeon, Ubisoft would be shamed for weeks.

Oversoul

Banned
I don't know how you came to the conclusion that it's 13$ instead of nothing. Mario cart has paid DLC that cost ~8$ each. Hyrule warriors sells characters for 8$ each. SSB has DLC characters for ~6$ each.You might as well claim that these DLC's should have been free as well.
People defend this because its just like any other paid DLC (or collector edition exclusive content) by any other gaming company ever.
Edit: I guess people expect nintendo to be more kid friendly, and not to use the same tactics as other publishers.

No, because that's not on disc DLC.

I feel like if this was any other company this wouldn't be so accepted. 5 dollar dlc to keep your *insert* full through the entire game and another 10 to unlock the new dungeon, Ubisoft would be shamed for weeks.
Except it unlocks stuff in many games and the content has never been even remotely meaningful. So it's not a comparable analogy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This Amiibo thing is both good and bad. I lean more towards the negative but see the potential positives. In the end, it can be just as bad as the bad DLC practices we've had to endure for years and Nintendo is not exempt from this criticism.

I don't care for amiibo's either, but I also don't care how they're implementing them in the game. The core game is still there and accessible so it doesn't bother me.

I actually think it's nice that if you do have an amiibo, they can work with other games, value for money.

no content tied to Amiibo > boo, it's a useless toy
content tied to Amiibo > boo, it's paid DLC behind a toy
content tied to Amiibo but sold with every game > boo, still not good

When do people learn to enjoy things?

RAWi

But, it is not a New Dungeon. It is some kind of Challenge Mode, where you can only use Wolf Link and have to kill enemy waves.

That's why some people aren't really bothered by this. And the other Amiibo are just Cheat Codes to modify the game.

I get why people are angry at something locked behind the Amiibo, but these content isn't that meaningful. We still have the full game as it would be without Amiibo. Unless someone really really really wants that Wolf Link Challenge Mode.

Costia

No, because that's not on disc DLC.
Why does it matter if it's on the disc, or sitting on their servers waiting for release date to be downloaded?
Edit: I find the distinction between on disc dlc and downloaded DLC to be completely arbitrary. Downloaded DLC just creates the illusion for the consumer that the DLC wasn't developped alogside the game or something like that.

Amiibos are probably the worst form of DLC ever made.

I don't know why other people don't see them as such, they're worse than horse armor ever was.
7mwHMcg.gif

Oversoul

Banned
Why does it matter if it's on the disc, or sitting on their servers waiting for release date to be downloaded?
Edit: I find the distinction between on disc dlc and downloaded DLC to be completely arbitrary. Downloaded DLC just creates the illusion for the consumer that the DLC wasn't developped alogside the game or something like that.

Smash DLC and Mario Kart DLC got made after release while in disc DLC has NO reason at all to exist because it's already finished and should be there in the first place.

JayDotZee

Banned
When they lock a significant and important part of a game behind amiibo, then you can outrage.

Until then, is cherry picking.

I honestly can't believe that people consider that shit 'dlc', maybe with the exception of that arena. but for the most part it's not like you're being blocked from some signficant content. Like the Ganondorf amiibo isn't just changing like two multipliers in the game and that's it. 'Ooooh its on disk omg' yeah, I mean, if you like bitching about technicalities then sure call it whatever you're gonna bitch either way, but lets be frank that shit could have fit on a floppy disk because it's nothing. That boss rush dungeon is the only thing that has me even a little concerned, and even then, it's just plain not that big a deal

Smash DLC and Mario Kart DLC got made after release while in disc DLC has NO reason at all to exist because it's already finished and should be there in the first place.

yeah, man, it's like, where was the outrage when Metroid Prime forced me to go and buy Metroid Fusion in order to use the Fusion Suit? Blocking such significant content behind another expensive product... it was on disk and therefore should have been unlocked from the get-go no questions asked
or having to literally own other games in order to unlock extra content in Killing Floor 2 and Rocket League, they should just give me that content since it's in the game files, no questions asked

Platy

In theory I have no problem with amiibo. A GENERATION pass of dlcs that work with lots of games with 2 consoles and can be borrowed AND works as an awesome statue of my favorite character ???? Perfect.

In pratice they are hard to find and here in my country they only come in ridiculously overpriced costs =|
I only buy when friends go to the USA and even then it is like "I want Fox .. if you don't find get Toon Link .... or Link ... or Kirby ... or ..." and then he brings me Kirby =P

BibiMaghoo

The day an entire game comes in the form of an Amibo, and is priced as a game + Amibo, then, that day, they have gone too far. We will know this day by the fury of collectors the world over, and the braying laughter of scalpers.

Platy

Like in Mario Party, that's the only amiibo implementation I hate.

The problem with Mario party is that they went middle ground.

You either do a game that you need amiibo to press start (but it has to be ANY amiibo, animal crossing amiibo festival ¬¬) or you use them as a small bonus

MrHoot

I like amiibos as figurines, I admit I am weak for that, but I will completely agree they are a really shitty part of locking content for a big sum of money considering what content they usually lock

All Amiibo are is day 1 DLC tied to a physical product. It locks content away (no matter how insignificant) from people who can't get their hands on stock limited statues or don't want to buy $12 cheap (quality-wise) toys without giving them another option to access said content.

I can see how people interested in these toys enjoy the added features, but for those of us who cringe at the idea of spending $12 for toys that we'd put in a box out of sight just to access something that every other developer would offer through a digital storefront (or would include in the base game), this is a terrible practice. I'm not buying any Nintendo products that have what I deem as significant content locked behind Amiibo.

Its relative shittiness when compared to Skylanders or Disney Infinity (?) Is completely irrelevant, because all you're doing is trying to figure out the lesser of two evils.

The Boat

The problem with Mario party is that they went middle ground.

You either do a game that you need amiibo to press start (but it has to be ANY amiibo, animal crossing amiibo festival ¬¬) or you use them as a small bonus
Yep, that's the actual problem.

mclem

I note that that first paragraph could quite easily reflect any modern DLC practice from any AAA company, with the 'dwindling fanbase' being replaced by 'increasing budgets'.

All Amiibo are is day 1 DLC tied to a physical product. It locks content away (no matter how insignificant) from people who can't get their hands on stock limited statues or don't want to buy $12 cheap (quality-wise) toys without giving them another option to access said content.

Is stock particularly limited any more? I've not been on the hunt for Amiibo for a while, but it looks like anything I might want to pick up is plentifully available.

I can see how people interested in these toys enjoy the added features, but for those of us who cringe at the idea of spending $12 for toys that we'd put in a box out of sight just to access something that every other developer would offer through a digital storefront (or would include in the base game), this is a terrible practice. I'm not buying any Nintendo products that have what I deem as significant content locked behind Amiibo.

I remember the days when people lamented the fact that you couldn't sell DLC when you were done with it.

TSM

Chû Totoro;195118786 said:
no content tied to Amiibo > boo, it's a useless toy
content tied to Amiibo > boo, it's paid DLC behind a toy
content tied to Amiibo but sold with every game > boo, still not good

When do people learn to enjoy things?

no content tied to Amiibo > Awesome, I can just buy the DD and enjoy the game
content tied to Amiibo > $13 or live without the content. Possibly many multiples of $13 to get everything. Yeah, such a positive.
content tied to Amiibo but sold with every game > Buy the DD and then have to spend $13 to access the only piece of new content they actually created for TPHD. Then I am stuck with a piece of plastic I have no want of.

If Nintendo just sold "Digital Amiibo" for a reasonable amount of money I wouldn't mind as much. My ex wife was basically a hoarder and I have no interest in expensive plastic digital content keys. I don't event want games and cases any more. I just want the console and the games in DD.

Oversoul

Banned
I honestly can't believe that people consider that shit 'dlc', maybe with the exception of that arena. but for the most part it's not like you're being blocked from some signficant content. Like the Ganondorf amiibo isn't just changing like two multipliers in the game and that's it. 'Ooooh its on disk omg' yeah, I mean, if you like bitching about technicalities then sure call it whatever you're gonna bitch either way, but lets be frank that shit could have fit on a floppy disk because it's nothing. That boss rush dungeon is the only thing that has me even a little concerned, and even then, it's just plain not that big a deal

yeah, man, it's like, where was the outrage when Metroid Prime forced me to go and buy Metroid Fusion in order to use the Fusion Suit? Blocking such significant content behind another expensive product... it was on disk and therefore should have been unlocked from the get-go no questions asked
or having to literally own other games in order to unlock extra content in Killing Floor 2 and Rocket League, they should just give me that content since it's in the game files, no questions asked

Fusion suit was only an aesthetic.

Why am I even trying again lol.

Enjoy paying extra for stuff that used to be free.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nintendo already went too far with Splatoon, which locked significant day 1 content behind three amiibo, specifically mission mode and the other minigames. Twilight Princess HD is just a continuation of that.

Oversoul

Banned

Its relative shittiness when compared to Skylanders or Disney Infinity (?) Is completely irrelevant, because all you're doing is trying to figure out the lesser of two evils.

Best post in this thread and a must read for everyone.

Thank you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That endurance cave sounds like a pretty nice piece of dlc to lock behind a plastic toy for $15. It should either be a bonus after finishing the game, or a super cheap piece of dlc.

Things like refilling your life or arrows is nothing really. I think that's the sort of perks most people wouldnt care about being locked into an Amiibo.

With amiibo I see it as buying a cool figurine and getting a little bonus with it. I have four amiibos and I got them cause they look nice. I scanned them in and had fun little perks with smash Mario Kart and other games.

Also I don't know if this has been asked but is the Ganondorf hard mode a one time scan thing like Mario Kart skins? If so you could get the amiibo scan it and then sell it.

If people hate how Amiibo are done then I wonder how they feel about mobile games where people would go far enough to spend over $100s to get a specific virtual animal. Or hell even in console games where you have a freaking paywall on top of it

At the end of the day, its a way for Nintendo to charge full price for a 10 yr old remaster.

Its just on disc DLC we have seen time and time again.

I expect Zelda U to have a unique amiibo content unlock too. Its a shitty practice.

Top Bottom