• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has social media created more drama in our lives...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The internet has merely revealed out socially dysfunctional and immature a huge number of people are. Either in an absolute sense (cannot cope with life), or when challenged to interact with others who are outside the niche people have adapted to.

In other words, when you bitch about how the world is screwed up and people suck? Rather than get by with vague and cynical assumptions as to why, social media cheerfully supplies all the hard data one could want for consideration.

That said, people are in large part the product of their circumstances. The net just highlights what a profound affect circumstances and cultural / memetic baggage has on everyone.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think it has. I have one cousin who friend requested me and I added who NEVER likes/comments on my son's photos but ALWAYS likes/comments my nieces and nephew's photos. I think I'll unfriend her.

I've found it even causes drama to people who don't use it. My mom doesn't use any social media at all, she barely knows how to use her email.

My mother used to be pretty close with one of her friends, and my sister and I would hang out with her kids too during parties and what-not. My sister moved to another country about 15 years ago, and doesn't visit home very often, so my mom's friend had not seen her since.

Also since then, my mom and her friend kind of drifted apart. But her son friended my sister on Facebook, and she ended up seeing a recent picture of my sister. So she calls up my mom after they haven't really spoken in years to basically laugh at her because my sister gained some weight. Asking her how my mom could let that happen and stuff. Now my mom hates her.

TLDR: My mom and her friend don't use any social media. But her friend fishes her son's social media for gossip and ammo to make fun of people.

YoungHav

Banned
I don't engage in FB drama but it's certainly lowered my opinion of some people. Ex: My friend never got over his divorce and brings it up a lot. After seeing him post about blacklivesmatter and people playing the race card, he can go kick rocks next time he whines about his failed marriage in front of me.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't engage in FB drama but it's certainly lowered my opinion of some people. Ex: My friend never got over his divorce and brings it up a lot. After seeing him post about blacklivesmatter and people playing the race card, he can go kick rocks next time he whines about his failed marriage in front of me.

So, you don't think black lives matter? I'm unfriending you right now

GunslingerRalph

Neo Member
Recently happened to me.

A female friend from work tagged me in pictures of us together, and the wife automatically thought we were screwing. Drama followed. Thank you social media.

I used to have fun on facebook until my parents and siblings joined. Now I rarely make public posts. It just feels so awkward having a platform where family and friends are so intertwined. Maybe I'm just weird.

Mother in particular comments on EVERYTHING. Like lets say I shared a link on something she has no idea about, like say a Bloodborne video as a random example, she would comment something like "lol dunno what this is about x" THEN DON'T COMMENT. She'll even comment on things my friends will post on my wall before I get a chance to, like seriously give me some space online will you.

Possibly worse is the co worker who sits in the same area as you but you have nothing in common with. I've had a bunch of these add me and I always feel too guilty to decline. I like you enough to make small talk but do I want you seeing all my photos and stuff? Hrm. I suddenly fancy a facebook cull.

If it wasn't for the really good mobile messenger app and group messaging I think I'd delete my account. It's the only way I have of contacting some older friends and SMS is not that great anymore. You try convincing people they should drop facebook messenger for whatsapp or whatever. They won't.

I just remembered the endless drama when my brother and his ex broke up and they were (still are) battling over child custody. Lots of name calling and public airing of grievances. To be fair to my brother he was living in a strange town alone and it probably helped him mentally to share but I was so tempted at the time to say to him DON'T PUT THIS ON FACEBOOK. I just shut up and scrolled past it. Not worth the drama eh.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Everyone now has a megaphone and they are able to shout their shitty opinions to everyone dumb enough to listen. I rarely log onto facebook but each time I do someone is deleted for posting something retarded.

I have made my family fully aware that if they want to get in contact with me they are going to have to text or call me. They are not allowed to get mad that I didn't show up to some event they posted on Facebook.

Social media is a very sharp double edged sword. It can be great but it's completely up to you to make it that way. If you have that one Aunt who can't help but post shitty political opinions hide their posts. If you have that one uncle who is constantly sipping that diet racist blow him up in the replies then hide his posts. Social media is what you make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom