• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatoful Boyfriend coming to the PS4 and Vita on July 21st with new content

Loudninja

The teams at developer Mediatonic and publisher Devolver Digital are thrilled to announce that our remake of Hato Mao’s incomparable Hatoful Boyfriend will launch on PS4 and PS Vita on July 21st! Bird lovers around the world will be able to enjoy the romance of their avian suitors in luscious HD at home or on the go as Hatoful Boyfriend will be a cross buy title — grab it on PS4 or Vita and you’ll own it on both!

Hatoful Boyfriend will also include a whole new romance option featuring Tohri, a character that previously only appeared in the Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star sequel, written by original creator Hato Moa.
This new content means there is a whole new story path for longtime fans and new players to the series as well as a brand new ending. Explore questionable stalkers, bitter rivalries, and even doomsday devices in this exclusive new Hatoful Boyfriend content.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015...es-on-ps4-ps-vita-july-21st-with-new-content/

Rymuth

I regret scoffing at this game at first, then a friend of mine told me it's actually
a murder mystery
and now I can't wait for it to come out.

Ban Puncher

6BuvQU9.gif

Jimrpg

I bought it recently during the steam sale for like $1, if you have a computer/laptop from the last 15 years, i recommend getting it from Steam.

Having said that, I find this a pretty frustrating game, maybe I'm not getting it but do I have to play this like 10+ times, get everybody's ending before getting the true ending? That doesn't sound like fun to me. Plus one time I made a mistake and wasted 20 minutes getting the same ending again.

Wikipedia said:
Hatoful Boyfriend is set in an alternate version of Earth in which sapient birds have seemingly taken the place of humans in society for reasons that are hinted at, but not fully explained in the dating simulation portion of the game.

nsr.gif

kabel

Also notice that it's supposed to be "heartful boyfriend" not "hateful boyfriend".

I couldn't believe it myself.

Loudninja

From E3 if you missed it :
Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star

The loveable birds of Hatoful Boyfriend are back in the remastered, holiday-themed sequel Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star! Travel to fantastically styled worlds, meet interesting new chickadees, and find romance in the elegantly designed winter wonderlands.

Dust the snow off your wings and take flight with familiar faces and new friends alike in extraordinary adventures hatched from the whimsical mind of the series creator Hato Moa and developer Mediatonic.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/eitr-mother-russia-bleeds-and-more-coming-to-playstation/

Hypereides

Gold Member
This is amazing. Gotta hand it to Devolver Digital... they're quickly becoming the powerhouse for quirky and unusual indie games.

This would make an awesome Playstation Plus giveaway game. Few casual gamers would see it coming. Their collective reactions to trying it out would awesome.

some of you have no sense of humor
This would make an awesome Playstation Plus giveaway game. Few casual gamers would see it coming. Their collective reactions to trying it out would awesome.

given how every playstation plus thread is filled with people announcing that they're canceling their PS+ account BECAUSE THESE ARENT REAL GAEMZ it would be the end times if this game was a PS+ freebie

so yeah i'd love to see it happen

JSR_Cube

I was just reviewing some reviews that it got on the PC release and I had to laugh at the comments from the Polygon review:

darthangel310
How’d this get higher reviews than Destiny?!

The_9th_Sage The_9th_Sage
Does Destiny have pigeons and delicious pudding? I don’t think so

This and Journey on the same day?! Owl probably pick them both up at launch if that's the case.

>130k owners on Steam according to Steam Spy and enough of a success for Devolver Digital to not only localize it, then port it to PC, but to greenlight a sequel

It's not a real game though, so who cares.

Theecliff

Banned
the ps+ threads would be even more of an absolute shitshow if that happened

people would lose their minds*

*and not in a good way

BTA

>130k owners on Steam according to Steam Spy and enough of a success for Devolver Digital to not only localize it, then port it to PC, but to greenlight a sequel

I agree that it's not exactly unheard of these days, but for accuracy's sake, that's not at all what happened. It was originally released on PC in Japan, then translated and released here. Holiday Star was released similarly.

A while after that, Devolver just remastered/remade the original game (with the same translation? I know the original translator was not told about its existence pre-announcement, but not more than that) and released it on PC, and is now porting it elsewhere. Now they're remastering/remaking Holiday Star and doing the same.

Also notice that it's supposed to be "heartful boyfriend" not "hateful boyfriend".

I couldn't believe it myself.
The "hatoful" part of the title is a pun. In Japanese, Hato means pigeon, which is also very similar to how you would transcribe the English word "heart" to Japanese(haato). Since many dating sims use the word "heartful" in their titles, it's instantly understandable, even for Japanese players.

In other words, this game is either full of heart, full of pigeons, or both.

Oh, Japanese puns.

I just don't understand the appeal of this. Maybe the humour is lost on me. I watched Jim Sterling's playthrough and while I found his commentary fairly amusing, there was no appeal to me whatsoever in the 'game' part.

Top Bottom