• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva series general discussion thread

Per Andriasang, Project DIVA f has sold 158,009 units in its first (half) week, with Vita hardware sales quadrupling to 46,877. I'm not sure if this includes online/export sales.

I think I'm gonna skip this one, I bought DT2nd but I didn't really play it TBH. But if they ever release Extend DLC for diva f...

The Dreamy Theater (and presumably Arcade) versions are still the only entries in the series to run at 60fps though =/ The Project DIVA f team really should have prioritized framerate over everything else, it makes a huge difference.

Sounds like pure hyperbole to me. All the costs of launching on a new platform are loaded into the first game; sequels can be made with a fraction of the first game's budget unless for some reason all the development work for the first game couldn't be reused.

Of course, there could also be years of DLC updates ahead... but not doing -anything- would just be leaving money on the table.

If someone wants to review the original tweets:

https://twitter.com/nakanohito_1go/status/243354617998610432
https://twitter.com/nakanohito_1go/status/243356315005640704

Well the 13th of spetember is diva extend turn on PS3 .
i don't have a money tree ( yet ) so i won't dig in for now ..but they sure want to keep the fans awake ...

There's been a few more tweets from #1 stating the team wants to make Project DIVA f the number 1 selling Vita game in 2012. The wording of the Andriasang article has subsequently been toned down significantly.

Nothing like jumping to conclusions first thing in the morning.

Wonko_C

Per Andriasang, Project DIVA f has sold 158,009 units in its first (half) week, with Vita hardware sales quadrupling to 46,877. I'm not sure if this includes online/export sales.

The Dreamy Theater (and presumably Arcade) versions are still the only entries in the series to run at 60fps though =/ The Project DIVA f team really should have prioritized framerate over everything else, it makes a huge difference.

Yeah, I do much better in the PS3 games than in the PSP versions, I've found PDf a lot more forgiving with the timings compared to the PSP games, though.

Yeah, I do much better in the PS3 games than in the PSP versions, I've found PDf a lot more forgiving with the timings compared to the PSP games, though.

I'm actually finding the majority of Project DIVA f to be off-sync - almost everything in the game has to be hit slightly late compared to the timings you'd use for the previous games. Almost like the game has adjustments for input lag but severely overcompensated.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm actually finding the majority of Project DIVA f to be off-sync - almost everything in the game has to be hit slightly late compared to the timings you'd use for the previous games. Almost like the game has adjustments for input lag but severely overcompensated.

Uh oh... this sounds bad to me. I find the timing for the other games to be quite spot on...

I still not played PDf, but that slightly late to hit sounds like the feeling i had playing vanilla Project Diva in the psp, in Project Diva 2nd the timing does not feel off at all though

Uh oh... this sounds bad to me. I find the timing for the other games to be quite spot on...

Well, if it's off, it's off by about a couple frames at most - hardly unplayable but not exactly optimal either. I'm out of practice from not playing much Project DIVA since November last year, but yyr independently said the same thing and I'm also feeling like if I hit early I'm more likely to get a Safe than if I hit late.

If Dreamy Theater extend really comes out next week then I'll have something new to compare it with.

Buying from Play-Asia with FedEx or UPS shipping might actually be faster than ordering from NCSX.

NCS has never failed to get stuff to me next day via UPS Ground, and they'll ship today if the order is placed in the next one and a half hours. It's physically impossible for Play-Asia to be faster since they ship from Hong Kong and are already closed for the night.

Wonko_C

That is probably telling of how much I suck at rythm games, LOL. I found the timings in Extend so strict that I am not able perfect most songs on normal because one or two notes always decides to be "safe". I'll have my revenge when DT Extend comes out. (dat Rasetsu to Mukuro at 60fps)

Edit: My mistake. I meant "safe" when I put "fine".

That is probably telling of how much I suck at rythm games, LOL. I found the timings in Extend so strict that I am not able perfect most songs on normal because one or two notes always decides to be "fine". I'll have my revenge when DT Extend comes out. (dat Rasetsu to Mukuro at 60fps)

"Perfect" by game standards in extend is just 100% Cool+Fine. Are you going for 100% Cool?

Ramune

NCS has never failed to get stuff to me next day via UPS Ground, and they'll ship today if the order is placed in the next one and a half hours. It's physically impossible for Play-Asia to be faster since they ship from Hong Kong and are already closed for the night.

I too share StarCreator's sentiment. Granted I live in CT., but they always got my stuff to me the very next day if I order before 5 p.m. EST. Although if P-A has free shipping.....

Tailer

That is probably telling of how much I suck at rythm games, LOL. I found the timings in Extend so strict that I am not able perfect most songs on normal because one or two notes always decides to be "safe". I'll have my revenge when DT Extend comes out. (dat Rasetsu to Mukuro at 60fps)

Edit: My mistake. I meant "safe" when I put "fine".

I can't even clear the songs on Normal and on easy I always end up with either Standard or Great :/

I found the timings in extend to be bad.

i managed to get excellents but im convinced it wasnt in sync.

For diva f its ok in most songs except a couple of them

9/6 Weekly Diva Station update: Dreamy Theater extend officially announced, with the previously known date and price. Click through for the trailer (or go to YouTube - added 9/19). The official website has updated as well, and identifies the new features pretty well.

dtex_001.jpg

dtex_002.jpg

dtex_003.jpg

dtex_004.jpg

The game has six additional modules from Project DIVA Arcade, and a "live viewing" mode. It also appears to support a selection of Project DIVA 2nd DLC modules. (Were there any that weren't included in extend by default?)

dtlive001.jpg

dtlive002.jpg

dtlive003.jpg

dtlive004.jpg

Ken

9/6 Weekly Diva Station update: Dreamy Theater extend officially announced, with the previously known date and price. Click through for the trailer (no YouTube link yet). The official website has updated as well, and identifies the new features pretty well.

The game has six additional modules from Project DIVA Arcade, and a "follow" mode. It also appears to support a selection of Project DIVA 2nd DLC modules. (Were there any that weren't included in extend by default?)

Is that the PS3 version? What's the date? Can't view the site at the moment.

Wonko_C

9/6 Weekly Diva Station update: Dreamy Theater extend officially announced, with the previously known date and price. Click through for the trailer (no YouTube link yet). The official website has updated as well, and identifies the new features pretty well.

dtex_001.jpg

dtex_002.jpg

dtex_003.jpg

dtex_004.jpg

The game has six additional modules from Project DIVA Arcade, and a "live viewing" mode. It also appears to support a selection of Project DIVA 2nd DLC modules. (Were there any that weren't included in extend by default?)

dtlive001.jpg

dtlive002.jpg

dtlive003.jpg

dtlive004.jpg

This soon after PDf? No way you'll see another cent from me, Sega, nope...

*Already bought a 5000 yen ticket last night*

Has it been confirmed that this won't let you play DT2nd (and 1st) songs? Having everything compiled in a single game would've been neat.

Has it been confirmed that this won't let you play DT2nd (and 1st) songs? Having everything compiled in a single game would've been neat.

As far as I can tell they've been pretty evasive on the subject, to the point that we don't even have a single screenshot of the song selection menu. I personally think if it was going to happen, we'd have gotten confirmation of it by now.

Of particular interest though is the list of songs available for live viewing. If I'm reading this right, Worldsend Dancehall (a song that has been featured in concerts but not in a Project DIVA until f) is one of them...

yyr

Well, if it's off, it's off by about a couple frames at most - hardly unplayable but not exactly optimal either...I'm also feeling like if I hit early I'm more likely to get a Safe than if I hit late.

This is *exactly* what I've been thinking, and it's good to know that I'm not crazy. It makes the star notes a bit more difficult, in my opinion, but I'm able to adjust to the point where I can usually find and stay within the Cool window. (When I intentionally low-score on DDR or Technika, I hit notes late on purpose, so honestly I think that's helped me here too...heh.)

I'm finding the Extreme charts I've played so far to be very entertaining, and I love the fact that the PVs can feature up to 3 modules now. The fact that the Technical and Chance bonuses count a lot towards your final grade is interesting, as well. Besides the timing and framerate, I'm thoroughly satisfied with this game. (Ridge Racer's framerate sucked too. What's up with the Vita devs?)

I already have 4000 yen worth of PSN codes ready to go for next week, lol. I'm assuming that DT extend will only contain the extend songs and the concert viewing; if I expect nothing else, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So my first ever Miku game finally arrived in Project Diva f. I'm honestly a little suprised how much I am enjoying it. I'm sure I'll be finding ways to catch up on the other games as I get bored with this one which shouldn't be for a while.

I wasn't really a big fan of Miku music before this, but being able to feel the music by playing the game part really helps me appreciate it a lot more for some reason. I mostly bought it for the visuals and I'm still surprised at how much detail went into the visuals. Every single song has an very distinct look to the video.

I must say though that the songs are still a little hit or miss. I also finally understand why none of the newer voices caught on as much as Miku and Kagamine Rin/Len. They are just a lot more boring. Its almost like they lack the personality that the first ones somehow had, which is crazy to say considering what we are talking about.

Rimokon with the Kagamine is certainly my favorite so far. Such a fun song and video by themselves, and the layout's not shabby either, like when the stars are laid out left right left right.

That song alone makes this game pretty worth it.

-GJ-

I'm a sucker for music games, but this one is a little too expensive for me at the moment (~€65 at PlayAsia). Is there a way to get it cheaper? I live in Europe and don't have a creditcard.

I'm a sucker for music games, but this one is a little too expensive for me at the moment (~€65 at PlayAsia). Is there a way to get it cheaper? I live in Europe and don't have a creditcard.

Pretty sure Play-Asia is as cheap as the game gets, especially if you're looking at the Asian version listing rather than Japanese (save a buck or two).

-GJ-

Pretty sure Play-Asia is as cheap as the game gets, especially if you're looking at the Asian version listing rather than Japanese (save a buck or two).

That's a tad too expensive at the moment. I can miss €40-45, but €65 is a bit too much. Are there any details about a Western version after the English demo at E3?

cnet128

Banned
I also finally understand why none of the newer voices caught on as much as Miku and Kagamine Rin/Len. They are just a lot more boring. Its almost like they lack the personality that the first ones somehow had, which is crazy to say considering what we are talking about.

For the record, the only Vocaloid in Diva f who's newer than Miku and the Kagamines is Luka, and I'm not sure I'd agree that she's lacking in personality. Kaito and Meiko both predate Miku and use the earlier Vocaloid 1 engine, so it's only natural that they'd sound less refined. (They only became popular after Miku kickstarted the whole Vocaloid phenomenon, though.)

That said, I think there's something to be said for Kaito - love his character design, and his voice neatly fills the "older male" niche that the more recent Crypton Vocaloids haven't really covered yet. Meiko, on the other hand, feels kind of...obsolete, to me at least. Nothing she can do that Miku, Rin and/or Luka can't do better.

Anyway, I'm loving the game so far, and I haven't even touched any difficulty beyond Normal yet(!) I've been making sure I Perfect each song before moving on to the next, and I've nearly finished going through the song list on Normal that way - currently doing battle with Sadistic.Music∞Factory >_> Once I move on to Hard and Extreme, I think I might loosen up a bit and play through the songs normally before going for the Perfects, since it's bound to be more frustrating on those levels.

I agree with what others have said that the timing of the beats feels a little on the late side, but I felt the same way about the first Diva game, so I'm kind of used to it; it's not game-breaking and doesn't bother me too much. The only thing it really affects is the difference between a COOL and a NICE, and since my main concern is getting Perfects, I'm not too bothered as long as I don't fall into the dreaded SAFE zone XD

The song list itself is great - I don't follow Vocaloid music that much outside of Miku's music games, so most of the tracks were nice and fresh to me - and the animation really is stunning at times, despite the disappointing sub-native resolution (which is definitely noticeable). I'm not a huge fan of the style used for the Diva character models - it always seems a little angular and unnatural to me, and when I first saw the Diva f screenshots, I was mostly disappointed that it basically looks like the same deal in higher-quality, rather than a softer, more fluid style like the character models in Dreamy Theater and the Arcade version. However, seeing these models in-game, even if they're not perfect, they still look really, really good in motion.

...and now, back to trying to Perfect that accursed factory!

edit: Perfected! That felt pretty good.

Top Bottom