• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have gamers got too much power?

Stop calling this dreck games journalism, this is not games journalism. Don't even give this author the thought that this article is in any way legitimate or worth a damn thing.

Nah, we don't have enough power. And we have to thank the corporate suckers that you find in every thread defending and trying to shut up "entitled whiners" for that.

It's like you guys took the words right outta my mouth.

And of course the article completely misrepresents widespread issues with the ME3 ending. So, does the real question become: "Has this games 'journalist' completely watered down and sensationalized a controversial topic they do not fully understand in a cheap grab for attention?"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The consumer's opinion is the only one that matters.

Arksy

SOPA
PIPA
Anti-used games
DRM
On disc DLC

We protest but it never really changes anything. We have ZERO power.

i'll stay convinced that if the controversy hadn't happenned we would have the "true ending" AKA the same thing we've been promised but at a 15$ price.

Yagharek

Maybe that's a sign that all these news articles are worthless.

You won't hear any argument from me on the matter. Ive said a few times, the only actual games journalism being done these days for a professional site is done by Retro Gamer. Everything else is purely outsourced PR work.

zoukka

Maybe on spineless developers they do.

But it's an illusion of power. Nobody gives a fuck what the forum activists whine about if the whine isn't showing up in metrics.

Durante

And of course the article completely misrepresents widespread issues with the ME3 ending. So, does the real question become: "Has this games 'journalist' completely watered down and sensationalized a controversial topic they do not fully understand in a cheap grab for attention?"
Finally a question I can answer with "yes".

Even if the argument itself had any shred of validity (which is debatable), basing it on the ME3 ending "controversy" is just asinine. Despite what the gaming press would have you believe, that's one of the clearest-cut cases of a developer fucking gamers over with obvious pre-release lies, not as part of some grand artistic integrity, but mostly because of time pressure, cost-cutting and a few inane writers. If anything, it's an example of gamers not having enough power.

DSix

Banned
Gamers don't have too much power... Mass Effect 3 just had a very shitty ending. Shitty enough to piss off a lot of gamers. No real story here other than how bad Bioware fucked up.

Yep, and what we simply do, is give the developers our feedback. It's a very important and healthy thing to happen.

What that journalist is basically saying is "STFU and eat our shit", this is so fucking wrong and disgusting. Gamers are human beings, they have opinions and feelings about games. You have to show respect to that, whether or not you intend to correct your current mistakes or not.
And if you don't respect it, then don't expect it to go away. The intensifying of the "protest" was only a natural and right cause provoked by EA's disdain. I'm proud of my fellow gamers who didn't let go.

/thread

Silver_key

Neo Member
I'd prefer if games had the right to be bad and companies had the right to make bad decisions. My problem with the whole ME3 petition (mind you I passed on ME3...I also passed on MW2 & 3 and other major titles. No piracy either) is that people want to save Bioware.

I think that Bioware should keep its black marks. Players should know it as "the company that can't seem to close out a trilogy". The next time Bioware botches a story, it may neither have the budget or desire to do anything about it. If I have to be careful with my dollars I'd rather know that potential for disappointment is there instead of believe that any plot can be mended.

Top Bottom