• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever eaten or heard of Boiled Peanuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Boiled Peanuts are a Southern American specialty where the not fully ripe peanuts are boiled either in a big pot with salted water or sometimes with spices in Cajun country. They are boiled with the husk on, and then they usually sell them either in a paper bag or a plastic/Styrofoam cup. You'll see them a lot at stands in rural areas in GA, SC, AL, LA ect...

Here are some pics from Google Images. Have any of you ever seen or had these? Does none Southern America GAF even know what this is? Have the rest of you ever even heard of this? Do you like them if you've had them?

Wiki Article

boiled-peanuts-6b-726514.jpg

BoiledPeanutStand.jpg

hbp5.jpg

Boiled%20Peanuts.jpg

700_southernhandbook_peanuts.jpg

DJ_Lae

What the FUCK.

I mean, I guess I'd try them, once, but boiling peanuts vs roasting them is about as appetizing as boiling meat.

Yup.

Love em.

In Shanghai there is a tofu dish called cou fu where they take fried tofu and boil it with boiled peanuts so the whole thing tastes like boiled peanuts.

What the FUCK.

I mean, I guess I'd try them, once, but boiling peanuts vs roasting them is about as appetizing as boiling meat.

I promise you, they are fantastic.

I like peanuts in general, though. Green, roasted, boiled, in a fricassee...

DJ_Lae

I promise you, they are fantastic.

I like peanuts in general, though. Green, roasted, boiled, in a fricassee...

Do you end up eating the shell, too?

Not sure if I'd even be able to make them myself here to try, any peanuts in the shell aren't underripe.

Dunno, as a concept it still seems bizarre.

KingGondo

Banned
Yes, had them in South Carolina when I was there for a wedding.

They were alright, but the texture is rather mealy.

Dylan

I've had them in bars and even though I'm usually open to everything food related, I have to say boiled peanuts are really gross.

Malleavel

I've only ever heard of them before, but now seeing them I'm a bit more interested.

Is it just as simple as boiling them for a bit? I have a bag of peanut lying around. I'll give it a try.

swoon

the best food. in durham, our new izakaya, Dashi, has a japanese version of these that are out of this world.

My parents make these at home every so often (we're Filipino) and while both of them can easily go through the peanuts themselves, I don't really care for them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've only ever heard of them before, but now seeing them I'm a bit more interested.

Is it just as simple as boiling them for a bit? I have a bag of peanut lying around. I'll give it a try.

Well Souther Folk will tell you that you have to use green peanuts, but most of rest of the US can't get that.

Biggest issue is getting the ratio of salt to water right.

Risible

Look at them gnarly, nasty ass crockpots :(.

Also, the signs are amazing. IF U DRIVE BY U GO HUNGRY AND AND I GO BROKE.

Also, plask bag.

So is there a special way to eat these and how do they taste because it seems like they'd taste like warm soggy peanuts?

I think tasting the boil is a big part of the experience. I usually crack them open with my teeth and suck out the boiled water that is stuck inside, then scoop the rest of the peanuts out and eat them. They also taste better straight out of the boil but I like them cold from the fridge the next day too.

cirrhosis

boiled green peanuts are where its at. i can't help stopping by to get a large amount of them to place in the cooler when driving south. so good.

Katori

They're really, really really good. Used to get them from stands all the time in my hometown, nowadays in the city I only see them in gas stations and mostly in the suburbs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah sure. China is big on boiling its peanuts, it's bizarre.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If you talk shit about boiled peanuts you better also hate Edamame.

Boiled peanuts are the best snack ever.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
fucking love boiled peanuts.

im from the northeast and only discovered them when i visited my girlfriend down in georgia.

we ended up having them at out rehearsal dinner for the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom