• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever eaten or heard of Boiled Peanuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewt

Yeah, boiled peanuts are pretty much everywhere in the south. Hell, when I lived in Tallahassee, you could get them at gas stations. I recently had them again while visiting Nashville after not having any for 5-6 years. And they're exactly what I remembered - a'ight. Peanuts in general that aren't in sauce or butter form don't really interest me, and boiled peanuts are no different.

Boiled peanuts are awesome. Especially spicy/cajun.

Didn't realize they were so unheard of outside of the South until earlier this year when a friend from California gave us weird looks for buying some.

I have not had any since I moved out of Alabama. I used to love stopping by roadside vendors on the way to lake Martin and grabbing a few bags.

As someone who's lived in the state of Georgia for 34 of my 38 years, I'm having trouble fathoming that 100 % of all the non-allergic people haven't really loved boiled peanuts for the vast majority of their lives. The best are the spicy ones. Don't be afraid to stop at peoples run-down houses advertising boiled peanuts with a sign written with a sharpy on cardboard when out in the country. They have the best peanuts.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Love them. At least once a year I will buy a pound of raw in shell peanuts and make a batch on the stove.
h4nplkk.jpg

To those who have never had them, you can kind of think of them similar to Garbanzo Beans (Chick peas).
dmlqKyQ.jpg

I've lived in the south all my life, of course I love boiled peanuts. Stopping on the side of the road off a state highway to get "PNUTS" from some dude in a old pickup is godtier.

the best food. in durham, our new izakaya, Dashi, has a japanese version of these that are out of this world.

I heard iffy things about Daishi, my wife and I need to hit it up soon I guess. If only for the pnuts.

lightus

Woah, I thought boiled peanuts were a common thing. I live in North Central Florida though so my perception has obviously been skewed.

I love them. Cajun is the best. The worst is when you get those dud ones that are just shell and this baby ass peanut inside.

see5harp

The only meat I've ever heard of boiling is corned beef, and that weird cold Chinese chicken where it's basically poached and then chilled.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stewed beef is basically boiled meat. It's like some of you have never cooked with boiling water before.

My great-grandfather was the GOAT peanut boiler. Huge 50-gallon pot or some ridiculousness on a propane burner in the back yard. Would take hours, but it was all worth it. Has to be right out the pot, though. Cold is disgusting to me.

Do you end up eating the shell, too?

Not sure if I'd even be able to make them myself here to try, any peanuts in the shell aren't underripe.

Dunno, as a concept it still seems bizarre.

I'm torn...you're not supposed to eat the shell but I feel like I should advise you to do so given your blasphemous reception to the concept of boiled peanuts.

see5harp

Stewed beef is basically boiled meat. It's like some of you have never cooked with boiling water before.

Not exactly. I think when people think of boiling water they are submerging the raw meat in boiling water and then removing to eat. That's not the same thing as slow cooking in a broth that later condenses, thickens and becomes part of the actual dish.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Had them often when I was a kid in Georgia, and yes, 100% of the time, they came from wratchety old roadside vendors, straight out of those photos. I wouldn't know where else to actually get any.

I remember them being pretty tasty, but as I grew older, just haven't gotten around to getting some more. Kind of disgusting looking, and usually made in disgusting looking pots.

Wasn't there also a crazy thing where people would put them in a bottle of Pepsi or RC Cola or something as well? Or am I imagining that?

DJ_Lae

Eh, technically, I suppose. I'd sooner call that stewing or braising. I'm thinking full on dropping meat into boiling water like a hard boiled egg. My in-laws do shit like that.

I'm torn...you're not supposed to eat the shell but I feel like I should advise you to do so given your blasphemous reception to the concept of boiled peanuts.

I'm not certain when I'd get a chance to try them, anyway. I've honestly never heard of them before here, whether we're talking from an Chinese grocery store or at a fairground.

But I'll totally take a nibble of the shell if I do.

Tried them once years ago, never again.
Hot, mushy, soggy peanuts are not appetizing at all. The texture is terrible.

I honestly don't remember what they tasted like anymore but I do remember that it was pretty repulsive. That texture though...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eh, technically, I suppose. I'd sooner call that stewing or braising. I'm thinking full on dropping meat into boiling water like a hard boiled egg. My in-laws do shit like that.

Like this?
Not exactly. I think when people think of boiling water they are submerging the raw meat in boiling water and then removing to eat. That's not the same thing as slow cooking in a broth that later condenses, thickens and becomes part of the actual dish.

Fair enough, but this is a common cooking method.

Blizzard

Banned
I've seen them a lot in the southern U.S., but the smell of the stands was nauseating to me as a child. I like crunchy peanuts.

Barzul

We did this all the time in Nigeria. Funny thing is I was in Peachtree City, GA this weekend and wouldn't you know it the gas station I stopped in was selling boiled peanuts, nostalgia hit and I decided to get some. Did not taste the same at all...was just bland. My mom is coming down from Nigeria this weekend I'll have to ask her how she made them because the shit I had was just not it.

are you people kidding me?

i'm from asia and i've been eating this since i was a kid. oh, sorry. it's "exotic" hurr durrr.

it's actually the best way to eat peanuts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
We did this all the time in Nigeria. Funny thing is I was in Peachtree City, GA this weekend and wouldn't you know it the gas station I stopped in was selling boiled peanuts, nostalgia hit and I decided to get some. Did not taste the same at all...was just bland. My mom is coming down from Nigeria this weekend I'll have to ask her how she made them because the shit I had was just not it.

Some places in the states just salt them, some nothing at all, and some add various spices. They vary a lot. I always thought some smokiness and heat would be awesome on boiled peanuts.

Enron

Banned
Boiled Peanuts are a Southern American specialty where the not fully ripe peanuts are boiled either in a big pot with salted water or sometimes with spices in Cajun country. They are boiled with the husk on, and then they usually sell them either in a paper bag or a plastic/Styrofoam cup. You'll see them a lot at stands in rural areas in GA, SC, AL, LA ect...

Here are some pics from Google Images. Have any of you ever seen or had these? Does none Southern America GAF even know what this is? Have the rest of you ever even heard of this? Do you like them if you've had them?

Boiled peanuts are an important part of life down here like sweet tea. I feel for those who have never heard of, nor had them. My heart breaks for you all :(

These are really good, especially if you can find a side-of-the-road place like in those pics. I first discovered them while driving through Alabama.

are you people kidding me?

i'm from asia and i've been eating this since i was a kid. oh, sorry. it's "exotic" hurr durrr.

it's actually the best way to eat peanuts.
somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Enron

Banned
You can even get them in a can down here in grocery stores. You are a godless, communist, unamerican son of a bitch if you do though

Boiled peanuts are an important part of life down here like sweet tea. I feel for those who have never heard of, nor had them. My heart breaks for you all :(

I am rather surprised so many in this thread haven't heard of them before. Fairly common snack in India too.

RP912

Banned
It's a big thing down in GA, I don't really see the hype since I prefer Planners honey roasted peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom