• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever eaten or heard of Boiled Peanuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

Yes I have. Think they are great fresh. One of the few things I miss about living in the south, being able to get fresh boiled peanuts pretty much everyday.

I also think the canned ones are pretty good. They taste a like different but are still plenty tasty.

andycapps

They're awesome. I made some last weekend when I found a 2 pound bag of raw peanuts at Jungle Jims in Cincinnati.

I will say that if you didn't grow up in the south eating them at a young age, the amount of people that like them is probably only around 50% from what I've seen. It's hard for me to comprehend not liking them because I think they're God-tier, but there are quite a few that I've met that think they're gross.

swoon

I heard iffy things about Daishi, my wife and I need to hit it up soon I guess. If only for the pnuts.

I'm not in love with their ramen, but the upstairs bar and food has been killer, great small plates and cocktails (or sake, sochu, beer...) The Tokyo Lights, which is pretty much a carbonated last word, is incredible.

separately, buy a coke (or rc cola) in the bottle, take a sip. put a bunch of roasted peanuts in there. best.

Ploid 3.0

Dude, people don't know about these amazing things? Maybe it's because I live in the south. They have amazing Cajun boiled peanuts here if you don't want to make them yourself.

Jme

I had never heard of these until I drove down Interstate 95 South, through SC, GA, and FL. The billboards advertise them ALMOST as often as South of the Border does on the reverse trip.

At any rate... I stopped for a fill up and there was a kettle of them next to the register. I asked the cashier what exactly are boiled peanuts. She looked at me like I might be mentally retarded and slowly explained "They are peanuts. That have been boiled." I said yeah, I got that part, but then what? She elaborated "The cajun ones got cajun spice on 'em."

I did not partake in her kettle of boiled peanuts. I have since researched them and they seem pretty cool.

FireCloud

Yes.

Roasted is far better.

I agree. I'm from NC and can get them at ball games as well. Though I prefer roasted peanuts by far.

My grandfather loved them and would often get them on our Saturday flea market outtings. My wife makes boiled peanuts every year to give as gifts to family/friends. They seem more popular on her side of the family.

surprisingly i ate these in china all the time. some old woman used to wander my neighbourhood selling bags of these things and cigarettes. didn't know they were an american south thing

ryseing

North Carolinian here. See signs for the things all the time, never tried them.

I also hate sweet tea so I'm a bad Southerner.

brau

had them here at work and they took me by surprise. They were kinda gross in texture, like slimy, and super salty. I guess with a cold beer watching a game they would be alright.

but for a snack at the office. No thank you. Also, they stink!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They're pretty tasty.

You'd often see people making/selling them on the side of roads in Mississippi.

[edit]

So I guess this is a Southern thing? Seems like a lot of people have seen heard of them until this thread.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Southern US, South American, and East Asian thing.

MisterNoisy

Love 'em, but I'll be the first to admit that they can be something of an acquired taste. Oddly, my first exposure to boiled peanuts was in Korea.

snarge

They are delicious, but, as with any regional food, suffer from a bit of exaggeration and over hype. They taste similar to a bean. I compare them to edamame, though I can never get anyone to agree.

War Eagle

What the FUCK.

I mean, I guess I'd try them, once, but boiling peanuts vs roasting them is about as appetizing as boiling meat.

Boiling chicken is actually pretty good. Especially if you add some salt, sriracha, and spices into the water.

Methos#1975

I live in deep south Louisiana so yeah they are everywhere here, I am surprised there is no MacNut at MD frankly here, that said I hate them

Boiled peanuts?
Yes, it's a regional dialect.
Uh-huh. What region?
Uh, upstate New York.
Really. Well, I'm from Utica and I never heard anyone use the phrase, "boiled peanuts."
Oh, not in Utica, no; it's an Albany expression.

Mark Richt has lost control of Southern Culture.

That won't be the only thing he'll lose this year.

edit: not sure how a thread indirectly about the south took three whole pages before we started bringing college football into the discussion. What are we, Texans?

Mark Richt has lost control of Southern Culture.

XS5LKh.jpg

noquarter

separately, buy a coke (or rc cola) in the bottle, take a sip. put a bunch of roasted peanuts in there. best.
That's really good as well. Grabbing a Pepsi and putting a fifty cent bag of salted peanuts in it. Really good snack on a warmer day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom