• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever met anyone famous or noteworthy in a multiplayer match?

Neff

I played Low Tier God one time in 3rd Strike. I can't remember what happened but I probably beat him because he sucks.

Hip Hop

sweating key and peele GIF

A good friend of mine and he were buddies from college. Eventually he needed someone to sherpa him through raids in D2 and that's how I met him.
I actually believe you,
But I just wish you could tell us who he was or at the very least what level of famous was he.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I used to game with Asia Carrera all the time back in the UT days. She was heavily into it, and actually very good as well.

Had a couple of people in our SWG guild that I won't disclose, as well as many athletes from MLB The Show.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 GITT

Edit: oops, you're already here

Last edited:

Calverz

Funny enough, I played some matches with a bunch of people in Resistance on PS3 a long time ago and learned that one of them was Fred Durst. He likes his shooters.

I've also played against some other famous fighting game pros over the years on GGPO, 3s Online and Tekken 5DR to 7. Many to name.
Haha same. I used to frequent ggpo back in the day. There was another one I can’t remember the name of. I’m pretty certain I played maximillion once. I definitely remember playing against damdai on there. He was insanely good. Probably best I played. I could barely get a hit. He went Ken and just destroyed me.

Calverz

"If you get your ass kicked, it's probably me on the other end of the line." -Fred Durst, SegaNet Member

Is that how you knew?

Jack in Today. SEGANET. The Gamers Destination
Haha I have that somewhere. I always wanted a Fred durst signed dreamcast!

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Nah, and I’m 100% cool with that. I had a great retail relationship with Bill Cobbs, back in my days of managing a Blockbuster Video. We’d talk movies and TV for a while, each visit.

tusharngf

Our whole squad was killed by spreeezy in pubg pc. He is a streamer from croatia. We landed on military island but never made it out alive.

Ran into fatality few times in pubg with that site that would show who killed or who you killed clips. He was making his teammates bait for him and seemed angry -.-
I watched some of the fatality PUBG streams... and yeah he was always yelling at his teammates for not following his orders to the T. Shit was hilarious. Though to be fair a lot of the time I sympathized with him because I tried to play PUBG squads in a very tactical "IGL" kinda way and raged over the same kinda stuff.

Never ran into fatality in game, despite being his contemporary, maybe ran into him in the Quake days without knowing. Ran into lots and lots of other PUBG streamers over the years. Never ran into DrDisrespect either, too bad as it's a bucket list kinda thing. But he keeps a pretty early streaming schedule compared to my gaming time so it's not that surprising.

That PUBG replay site was epic. I don't follow the streaming scene that closely so it kind of drove home the point that you're probably playing with 'famous' people a lot more than you realize. As a lot of those guys had decently big audiences and I hadn't heard about them. Most truly famous people who play games online don't publicize their gamertags so presumably whoever the most famous person I ever played with/against went incognito.

I played Xbox PUBG with an Xbox exec a few times in a party. Not a name I see thrown around here, but he was pretty top level. I'd see that he was in locked down Xbox Live parties with P3. He talked about how his favorite thing in the world was to close the doors to his office/study, pop open an expensive bottle of wine, and kick back and relax watching a DrDisrespect stream :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some of my favorites:

Beating soon-to-be R6 world champs, Beaulo and Merc in COD:MW gunfight with a random queue partner and no comms. They were playing sweaty but we still somehow managed to edge them out in overtime. I figured they were just fanboy fakes until I went back and checked the streams. After the round where I 1v2ed them after my partner got sniped right off spawn, "this kid just shit on us". I wish I was some fucking kid, my FPS reflexes are 20+ years past their prime!

Beating an active RLCS pro in a random 3v3 Rocket League queue shortly after an MMR reset... I was in the champ 1 to champ 2 range at the time (more in the champ 3 to gc 1 range these days, which is still a standard deviation or two or three below the pros), but I had a couple of solid grand champ teammates so I just let them go on offense and played highly defensively, saved everything he threw at us and I think we won 3-0 or something. After watching the replay I couldn't help but notice the very poor strategy his random teammates went with. He'd constantly get into open space for a pass and his teammates just did the standard rocket league thing of... well... refusing to pass or play as a team. Meanwhile my team was very selfless, and very much in "this is our chance to beat a pro" mode.

My very first introduction to Twitch was while playing Titanfall with two friends, one of which was a nearly 50 year old chinese dude who started freaking out because a "famous streamer" was in our lobby. I had no clue wtf he was on about. It was an emo kid named GameSager, with a full party of his Twitch followers, Titanfall being a 6v6 game. They murdered us in the first half, doing all the fancy bunny hop CTF caps in like 8 seconds flat. But we locked it down in the second half and then barely held on in overtime.

When we watched back the stream he was all "these kids we're up against are so pathetic... if I was them I'd just leave and uninstall the game"... then watching the descent into madness in the second half when we turned it around.... and then finally when he lost he ragequit, dropped all his followers and went to play Free For Alls in COD:Ghosts. A couple of years later I was watching a Destiny streamer and he happened to be playing with GameSager, so I made a comment in that streamer's chat (not GameSager's) to the effect of "oh cool you're playing with GameSager, I kicked his ass in Titanfall one time, he didn't take it well"... and then GameSager starts replying in that chat talking about how "I've only ever lost three matches of Titanfall and one of them certainly wasn't to the likes of you", I offered up the clip and he went radio slient :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Man Titanfall was good times.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I used to game with Asia Carrera all the time back in the UT days. She was heavily into it, and actually very good as well.

Had a couple of people in our SWG guild that I won't disclose, as well as many athletes from MLB The Show.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 GITT

Edit: oops, you're already here
My list would mainly consist of current and former pro athletes (mainly baseball players of course) plus a lot of the upper brass at Xbox though admittedly since Ybarra left Xbox I haven't played with many Xbox people

Many of these people though is from just knowing them or someone who is friends with them so didn't really meet anyone in a lobby per se

I still play with many of these people

The game that brought a lot of these people together was PUBG as many loved older COD games but not so much lately

DocEbok

I watched some of the fatality PUBG streams... and yeah he was always yelling at his teammates for not following his orders to the T. Shit was hilarious. Though to be fair a lot of the time I sympathized with him because I tried to play PUBG squads in a very tactical "IGL" kinda way and raged over the same kinda stuff.

Never ran into fatality in game, despite being his contemporary, maybe ran into him in the Quake days without knowing. Ran into lots and lots of other PUBG streamers over the years. Never ran into DrDisrespect either, too bad as it's a bucket list kinda thing. But he keeps a pretty early streaming schedule compared to my gaming time so it's not that surprising.

That PUBG replay site was epic. I don't follow the streaming scene that closely so it kind of drove home the point that you're probably playing with 'famous' people a lot more than you realize. As a lot of those guys had decently big audiences and I hadn't heard about them. Most truly famous people who play games online don't publicize their gamertags so presumably whoever the most famous person I ever played with/against went incognito.

I played Xbox PUBG with an Xbox exec a few times in a party. Not a name I see thrown around here, but he was pretty top level. I'd see that he was in locked down Xbox Live parties with P3. He talked about how his favorite thing in the world was to close the doors to his office/study, pop open an expensive bottle of wine, and kick back and relax watching a DrDisrespect stream :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some of my favorites:

Beating soon-to-be R6 world champs, Beaulo and Merc in COD:MW gunfight with a random queue partner and no comms. They were playing sweaty but we still somehow managed to edge them out in overtime. I figured they were just fanboy fakes until I went back and checked the streams. After the round where I 1v2ed them after my partner got sniped right off spawn, "this kid just shit on us". I wish I was some fucking kid, my FPS reflexes are 20+ years past their prime!

Beating an active RLCS pro in a random 3v3 Rocket League queue shortly after an MMR reset... I was in the champ 1 to champ 2 range at the time (more in the champ 3 to gc 1 range these days, which is still a standard deviation or two or three below the pros), but I had a couple of solid grand champ teammates so I just let them go on offense and played highly defensively, saved everything he threw at us and I think we won 3-0 or something. After watching the replay I couldn't help but notice the very poor strategy his random teammates went with. He'd constantly get into open space for a pass and his teammates just did the standard rocket league thing of... well... refusing to pass or play as a team. Meanwhile my team was very selfless, and very much in "this is our chance to beat a pro" mode.

My very first introduction to Twitch was while playing Titanfall with two friends, one of which was a nearly 50 year old chinese dude who started freaking out because a "famous streamer" was in our lobby. I had no clue wtf he was on about. It was an emo kid named GameSager, with a full party of his Twitch followers, Titanfall being a 6v6 game. They murdered us in the first half, doing all the fancy bunny hop CTF caps in like 8 seconds flat. But we locked it down in the second half and then barely held on in overtime.

When we watched back the stream he was all "these kids we're up against are so pathetic... if I was them I'd just leave and uninstall the game"... then watching the descent into madness in the second half when we turned it around.... and then finally when he lost he ragequit, dropped all his followers and went to play Free For Alls in COD:Ghosts. A couple of years later I was watching a Destiny streamer and he happened to be playing with GameSager, so I made a comment in that streamer's chat (not GameSager's) to the effect of "oh cool you're playing with GameSager, I kicked his ass in Titanfall one time, he didn't take it well"... and then GameSager starts replying in that chat talking about how "I've only ever lost three matches of Titanfall and one of them certainly wasn't to the likes of you", I offered up the clip and he went radio slient :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Man Titanfall was good times.
Ya I wish more games did replays like that site did :D

lem0n

This is awesome, what was he like?
Eccentric old fart, and I mean that in the kindest way possible. Absolutely loved just chatting cars and shooting the shit. Since I had a Miata at the time (and still do in fact) I shot about a million questions about them at him and he was happy to give me an answer to each one, typically each tidbit accompanied by a related story. I remember him also being incredibly sharp, especially for his age. He was in his 70s when we would party up, and that was damn near 10 years ago now. I should reach out again, I still see him jumping online from time to time. Pretty good at Forza too, lol.

Last edited:
Yep! Just dropped into a random lobby and holy shit it's snoop.
When that game came out along with the Xbox live camera, there was all sorts of shit happening in UNO.
Tits were out almost every game.
UNO on Xbox 360 was like Chatroulette back in the day

Superbean

Neo Member
My old group obliterated sodapoppin and his doublebteamed up group of 8 in h1z1br. Called my group of 4 cheaters on stream.

Played a match against the annoying guy who used "hey Mom can we get some meat loaf" on steam in CSGO. It was a GE match in matchmaking, a couple his crew turned on the cheats midway through a very close match(they were down by two). It was blatant as hell on the replay, one ended up banned a week later.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Worked in the games and esports industry so I normally sometimes get famous esports pro's etc joining friends games casually sometimes.

Got put in a game with SodaPoppin once
Multiple YT personalities with over 1m subs in GMod servers
Used to compete against some big names back in the days from COD4
Been killed a few times by big named youtubers in H1Z1 and Warzone

Biggest one I guess is I went against 3 professional footballers in my entire time playing FIFA which was mad, you know they are Pro when they have a special FUT card given to them by FIFA which can ONLY be given to them they are called "Player-Cards" and they are given 99 rated which is a pretty cool way to find your playing against an actual footballer

Worked in the games and esports industry so I normally sometimes get famous esports pro's etc joining friends games casually sometimes.

Got put in a game with SodaPoppin once
Multiple YT personalities with over 1m subs in GMod servers
Used to compete against some big names back in the days from COD4
Been killed a few times by big named youtubers in H1Z1 and Warzone

Biggest one I guess is I went against 3 professional footballers in my entire time playing FIFA which was mad, you know they are Pro when they have a special FUT card given to them by FIFA which can ONLY be given to them they are called "Player-Cards" and they are given 99 rated which is a pretty cool way to find your playing against an actual footballer
That's so cool about the player card. What a unique feature.

Top Bottom