• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you seen an actual PS5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You've proven countless times you aren't worth arguing with. You've endlessly refused to accept facts and try your absolute best to downplay and damage control anything positive related to xbox.

And you've done it again by crying about all caps when the only time any thing was done in all caps was using an Acronym. Congratulations.
Not sure you read the previous exchange and I am the one that looks to be “crying about” things. It tends to be the one waving exclamation marks about and going “FUD FUD FUD!!!” in their posts in place of arguments. “You are engaging in F.U.D., trying to establish a negative narrative against...” vs “Here again you screeching FUD FUD FUD!!!”...

Naturally you forget the slide pointing to the savings of SFS over current PRT implementations. It's almost like you're still struggling to accept it but you would slurp up absolutely everything sony even briefly mentions.

But do go on and believe the only reason Sony hasn't shown us a real PS5 yet, cannot tell us what ports it has or even tell us what it's dimensions are is BeCaUsE FuD!!!

There are no slides directly stating the savings you talk about is in comparison to state of the art PRT based setups on consoles or PRT+ (SF) on PC, you are dead set on that baseline to support your vision.
The “up to 60%” remark in the last slide has again no baseline of reference:
TZkryYj.jpg

I might not be fun for you to discuss with, not trying to be fun for you not to antagonise you. You are taking great tech and trying to oversell it thus making a mockery of it. If people point it out you and some others get hyper defensive and start on the personal attacks and if that is pointed out we have either the “banter, just banter yeah fam” defence or the “it is worthless with you/you asked for it” one.

I accept facts and I might disagree, ponder on it, and change my mind. The mix of insults and absolute hyperbolic statements behind a reasonable argument facade is not as opaque as you think it is.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Funny that Tempest hasn't been mentioned since the Series X Hot Chips presentation isn't it? lol

How so? It has been talked about (I have not checked but you might be in those threads too lol) and people have been discussing the math used for those equivalent GFLOPS (all the audio DSP’s combined being as powerful as the Xbox One X CPU), how much is user programmable, how much is fixed function HW equivalent performance (see PS3 being rated 2 TFLOPS by nVIDIA for a similar example of the same kind of math ;)), etc... vs the clear 64 FP ops per cycle * GPU clocks for Tempest which still pushes it ahead even if it were the only audio DSP PS5 has (unlikely :)).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
To me hot takes at the moment are the dev comments on B3D that MS still working on VA is why we see stuff on PC....

Frequencies RDNA1 to RDNA2 - the node change engineering graph is below - you can see the improvement on TSMC better node which we assume botgh consoles are on but lots of vague stuff as TSMC and AMD being very secretive of RDNA2.

d7xH4u5.png
Yeah but what I really want to know is did Sony plan on making the box this big. They must have known before hand if we increase the clocks that much we'll need a very good cooling solution. You are saying that they always planned on this, and that would honestly surprise me. I think they would've thought about different engineering solutions (e.g. more CU's, lower clocks) if the design was going to be this big. So if they first planned for a smaller box, then they also must have thought about lower clock speeds. At least that's my take. Which is why I'm wondering if Sony discussed the box itself in their patents.

You can already see this is in the marketing, they deliberately didn't share the dimensions of the console yet because they know this will negatively impact the PS5 perception.

geordiemp

Yeah but what I really want to know is did Sony plan on making the box this big. They must have known before hand if we increase the clocks that much we'll need a very good cooling solution. You are saying that they always planned on this, and that would honestly surprise me. I think they would've thought about different engineering solutions (e.g. more CU's, lower clocks) if the design was going to be this big. So if they first planned for a smaller box, then they also must have thought about lower clock speeds. At least that's my take. Which is why I'm wondering if Sony discussed the box itself in their patents.

You can already see this is in the marketing, they deliberately didn't share the dimensions of the console yet because they know this will negatively impact the PS5 perception.

They will of planned on frequency, cooling patents and liquid metal thermal transfer solution yes. Then when doing CFD on air flow and performance that would of disctated several design solutions in air flow.

The box shape comes last and is just an aethestic around the air flow design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
They will of planned on frequency, cooling patents and liquid metal thermal transfer solution yes. Then when doing CFD on air flow and performance that would of disctated several design solutions in air flow.

The box shape comes last and is just an aethestic around the air flow design.
They must have already simulated this, right? They have models for this. So I don't believe they planned this, you don't plan for such a big box.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Why not? Back when XSX was the far bigger box it was a great, bold, and brave thing? Not sure why they happened on this as a mistake or panicked is the better answer...
Because they knew about the backlash of the Xbox One and its size. They know console gamers don't want a huge system in their cabinet.

Also the XSX isn't nearly as big as the worst case PS5 dimensions. The PS5 is 70% bigger in volume.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Because they knew about the backlash of the Xbox One and its size. They know console gamers don't want a huge system in their cabinet.

Also the XSX isn't nearly as big as the worst case PS5 dimensions. The PS5 is 70% bigger in volume.

Sony clearly stated that peer consumption management and noise were major problems they wanted to address and yet not to compromise performance because of it despite having dedicated a good portion of the SoC to I/O, Sound processing, and other features instead of more cores... hence investing on a very strong cooling solutions, making a bigger box, developing their variable clocks + enhanced SmartShift solution, and trying to clock it all as high as possible.

You can bet both MS and Sony have spent the months since January 2020 till now and counting optimising their designs for production and seeing what they can squeeze out of it and deciding whether or not they want to take the COVID excuse for delaying the launch by 6-12 months and retool their design more (a decision they would have already taken a good while ago if they took it at all).

whitesugar

Banned
not really sure what people are really inferring from not seeing the console. it was confirmed only a week ago that it's still coming this year.

what is most likely is that Sony don't want comparison to the Xbox as they have a weaker machine. They will talk hardware on their own terms, like with the Dualsense or the SSD as the PS5 is superior in that regard, but any teardowns or in-depth look at hardware from third party sites will inevitably have comparison to the Series X. Why give people a chance to make hardware comparison videos 2.5 months away from release when they will surely discuss that you have the weaker machine at some point>

Papacheeks

Banned
Wow you got all of that from my post. lol. Couldnt be happier :)

You didn't even take the time to make a well thought out thread to not maybe have it look like some fanboy trying to start conjecture for the sake of it. There's enough info out there that shows retail units are on the way, they literally just started mass production in June.

And with covid, it's not like they can do a giant reveal in maddison square with tech journalists there. They have to send them units. And probably with the OS not 100% done, they probably would rather show youtubers/tech people in a more controlled environment.

Which was the case for xbox. They flew people out and this was pre-covid.

The thread was literally started for conjecture BS purposes. Like we literally got leaks saying next 2 weeks we should have a Playstation event.

Last edited:
You didn't even take time to make a well thought out thread to not maybe have it look like some fanboy trying to start conjecture for the sake of it. There's enough info out there that shows retail units are on the way, they literally just started mass production in June.

And with covid, it's not like they can do a giant reveal in maddison square with tech journalists there. They have to send them units. And probably with the OS not 100% done, they probably would rather show youtubers/tech people in a more controlled environment.

Which was the case for xbox. They flew people out and this was pre-covid.

The thread was literally started for conjecture BS purposes. Like we literally got leaks saying next 2 weeks we should have a Playstation event.
The thread was based on available info and lack of evidence. If you want to go on the word of a money hungry corporation then go right ahead. I will however question everything.

Last edited:
Damn that discord working extra hard. Smh gotta balance the bad news with some fud 😂
Yessir FUD to question the PS5 which has had no hands on reviews or teardowns. A system we don't even know what IO it has on the back the console. A system we have no idea how you upgrade the system storage or what that expansions form factor is. But it's NOT FUD to say the XSX has no games. God bless you.

MrFunSocks

Banned
What's going to happen to this thread once we see the actual hardware?

Some of you act like it's never going to happen.
What's going to happen to all the threads about the Series X not being ready and being a mess and not being able to play any games once we see some games actually playing on it?

Some of you act like it's never going to happen.

Oh wait, we have seen actual games running on the Series X as well as seeing the actual hardware in depth! So why is everyone on here still so concerned?

RCU005

Where are the tear down or build up videos for PS5? Where are youtubers hands on impressions with the actual hardware, how come there aren't any demo units in the wild. Do any of you not think this is strange soooooo close to launch?

One reason: COVID-19

A lot of PR and marketing events were cancelled. Sony themselves said that they wanted to have kiosks and demos in many places for people to try the new DualSense but couldn’t.

A lot of people are complaining about being so close to launch without many information, but you have to understand that the circumstances are beyond anything they could’ve planned for.

Be grateful that the PS5 will still launch this year and that you’ll be able to play in in less than 3 months.

One reason: COVID-19

A lot of PR and marketing events were cancelled. Sony themselves said that they wanted to have kiosks and demos in many places for people to try the new DualSense but couldn’t.

A lot of people are complaining about being so close to launch without many information, but you have to understand that the circumstances are beyond anything they could’ve planned for.

Be grateful that the PS5 will still launch this year and that you’ll be able to play in in less than 3 months.
COVID-19 affected MS too and I still saw plenty of XSX teardowns and plenty of technical analysis. I am just really worried about Sony. Something is going on over there I'm sure of it.

Kagey K

Banned
So, is this the new FUD to counter the fact we've seen nothing running on XSX other than old games and an indie?
Why is it FUD when talking bad about Sony, but not FUD the other way?

It’s now up there with words like toxic.

You can’t call everything you don’t like FUD, while purposely spreading misinformation about the “other team.”

There is a lot of it going both ways, and the best way to stop it is to nip it in the bud.

This applies to everyone crying FUD in every thread.

KRYPT83

Where are the tear down or build up videos for PS5? Where are youtubers hands on impressions with the actual hardware, how come there aren't any demo units in the wild. Do any of you not think this is strange soooooo close to launch?
I honestly heard dev kit's are in trouble, heard demanding games cause the system to run hot and ssd is melting ports. That's why they have recently switched to liquid thermal. We will see though, doesn't look good with the way they are handling pre orders

RCU005

COVID-19 affected MS too and I still saw plenty of XSX teardowns and plenty of technical analysis. I am just really worried about Sony. Something is going on over there I'm sure of it.

Microsoft is an American company. Sony needs to deal with many decisions that are made in Japan and it’s harder to coordinate trips and movement of all the equipment, people, etc.

Microsoft have everything at their disposal much easier and faster, since every sección making is done in the same place.

There is nothing going over at Sony. They just have different mindset, different goals and different ways of doing things.

People always compare Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft as if all companies have to do the same.

“Microsoft has BC, so why a Sony don’t?”
“Sony was able to do a Showcase in quarantine, so why hasn’t Nintendo done a regular Dorect”?
They showed this, so why can’t the other showed that?”

They are different companies!

Papacheeks

Banned
I honestly heard dev kit's are in trouble, heard demanding games cause the system to run hot and ssd is melting ports. That's why they have recently switched to liquid thermal. We will see though, doesn't look good with the way they are handling pre orders

or they are doing a similar paper launch to gauge US demand? Why make a known statement that you are ramping up production to have 10 Million consoles by end of Fiscal 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom