• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haven Season 5 |OT| Audrey's gone and the bitch is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
image.php

I still say giving them two seasons was dumb.

Was it to let it reach syndication? I remember someone mentioning how it was a roundabout way to make more episodes without having to renegotiate contracts also.

Strike

Whatever, I'm still enjoying it. This episode was particularly fun watching them try to act like other people. I wonder how long they're going to continue play up this Audrey/Mara thing. We still got at least 21 more episodes.

Whatever, I'm still enjoying it. This episode was particularly fun watching them try to act like other people. I wonder how long they're going to continue play up this Audrey/Mara thing. We still got at least 21 more episodes.

Man, this was funny but also pretty confusing lol. I think they should finish this whole Mara thing soon, it's starting to drag a bit. That switch between Nate and Duke happened at the worst possible moment lol.
After the breakneck pace of S4 this season feels pretty slow. Still enjoying it though, I love these characters.

I like this season too but Mara chained is getting old very quickly, she should be out there causing troubles or just get rid of her.

Manu

The highlight of the episode was obviously Gloria and Dwight switching bodies.

But yeah, the Mara thing is getting old already.

Strike

Nice twist.
Splitting Audrey and Mara into separate entities
should definitely keep things interesting.

Forsythia

Finally! I like what they're doing!
Not just simply killing Mara, but keeping her around next to Audrey!

Yeah, didn't see that one coming. I wonder where they'll take it from here, there's no reason to not just shoot Mara in the face now.

I wanted Mara to disappear but this alternative could be better. Looking forward to watch the dynamic between both characters.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I know nothing about this show except that edge is in it.

Worth a watch?

Yes. Do note that like many shows, season 1 starts out a bit slower and more directionless. It's only towards the end of S1 and the beginning of S2 that they started doing better procedural plot lines that tie in better with the thematic concerns of the serialised mythology and character development.

Two times the Emily Rose will only be a good thing. I'm willing to bet they're still connected mortally though. So they can't kill Mara without killing Aubrey as well.

Two times the Emily Rose will only be a good thing. I'm willing to bet they're still connected mortally though. So they can't kill Mara without killing Aubrey as well.

Yeah, that must be it, I guess now the mission will be to find a way to kill just Mara.
It's cool that they found a way to move on from that arc while also keeping Mara around. Now she will probably get away and be free to wreak havoc and we can have Audrey at the same time. Mara was great when she wasn't on a leash and it's important for the show to get the main character back and move on from that whole double personality thing.

Just watched the last couple of episodes. Normally not that big of a fan of body switch stuff, but the pay off at the end was worth it. That evil Mara laugh as the plan "failed" and the subsequent look of shock on her face when it hadn't exactly failed was terrific. Emily as two distinct characters. She seemed to have trouble quickly flipping between them, but she'll probably have an easier time now that she'd be filming scenes at different times.

I hope the dynamic lasts.

So Nathan and the others are in spirit form I guess, like ghosts but without being dead.
Audrey losing her immunity makes sense, she had it because she was also Mara.
Sucks for Nathan though, and I don't mean the fact that she's unable to see him now :)
Weird how ghosts go through objects but don't fall through the floor. Their clothes should also fall through them but Morgan said they're a projection of their last moment or something so I guess it's ok lol. Can't have everyone go around naked anyway.

So we get Audrey back and sort of lose Nathan. Weird choice. I guess they felt they needed a forceful way to keep Mara around and didn't want to go the still connected route. In one way this is better because the still connected thing was pretty obvious but at the same time it's pretty bad because it sets a precedent of one of the 3 core always being in direct peril.

Only managed to watch episode 8 today. It was really good. The trouble had a nice story behind it, the scene where Dave breaks Vince out of the hospital was hilarious and the revelation that Duke allowed Mara to stay on purpose is very intriguing. And that last bit about his mother... damn.
My only gripe is that the fact the pics needed to be printed was incredibly obvious. Audrey saw the guy from the guard disappear so she knew that it didn't happen when the pic was taken. Seeing the pics of all the victims on the fridge should've made her realize right away.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Not liking Duke's development. Seems somewhat contrived.

Not liking Duke's development. Seems somewhat contrived.

Yeah,
seeing Mara naked must have messed with his head :)

Seriously though, he should turn to Nathan and Audrey before going to Mara. It's not like Nathan agreed with Dwight, he was obviously against the way Dwight was acting.

Is me or Emily is better now playing Mara?. I liked the episode.

Definitely. I was thinking the same while watching this episode, she's really gotten into the character now.
I'm guessing that not having to instantly change back and forth between both certainly helps.

Duke's probably going to make out and/or sleep with Mara before the season is up.

Yeah, he will give in eventually, he always had a soft spot for Audrey. I bet that he split them because subconsciously he realized that since he couldn't have Audrey, Mara was the second best thing.
Makes me think about those times when we know that deep down our feelings aren't really what we tell ourselves they are.
I bet that if Duke was thrown into the TV in Persona 4, his shadow would reveal that he totally kept Mara around so he could hit that.

Duke smartest person in the show confirmed.

Any theories about Audrey's sickness? Why doesn't Mara show any symptoms?

Mara probably has a trouble while Audrey IS a trouble. If you use Dwight as an example, his trouble is always active so he's immune to the disease. Pre-Mara Audrey was always immune to the troubles as well and now that she's seperate Mara is still immune but Audrey isn't. That leads me to believe that Mara's ability to give troubles IS a trouble in and of itself. The Barn was somehow tied into that trouble and manifested the other non-Mara personalities. So Duke splitting Audrey from Mara does seem to align with Audrey's own theory that she's a trouble that's manifested from Mara. In theory, that would still make her vulnerable while Mara is not.

At this point, I'm even starting to think that perhaps Mara is going through the process of making Duke's trouble manifest into one like her own.

Emily was great in this episode.
I'm curious to know Charlotte's real intentions.
Mara is playing with Duke, I don't buy that she cares about him.
They kinda dropped the Croatoan thing.

Kevin

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
That twist was unexpected... I guess they're diving deeply into the mythology now. Still wondering who or what was the thing or person who got out of the thinny though.

saunderez

Still wondering who or what was the thing or person who got out of the thinny though.
Hopefully Roland Deschain.

At this point they might as well. I don't see how we're gonna get any actual closure to the whole "race of super powerful beings from another universe" storyline.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully Roland Deschain.

At this point they might as well. I don't see how we're gonna get any actual closure to the whole "race of super powerful beings from another universe" storyline.

Don't think they have the rights to the character though. Maybe they could probably get away with it (or use any Stephen King character) by not naming him.

saunderez

Don't think they have the rights to the character though. Maybe they could probably get away with it (or use any Stephen King character) by not naming him.
You're probably right, a cameo would be sweet though. You'd probably need the Haven characters to go through the thinny for that to work though.

Well, this episode certainly had some interesting moments. Did Mara turn Duke into an ether factory? Charlotte is Audrey's mother? How does that even work lol?

DieH@rd

Banned
I was surprised to find out today that this season will have 26 episodes. All previous ones were 13eps each.

Raistlin

Well, this episode certainly had some interesting moments. Did Mara turn Duke into an ether factory?
I'm guessing no. He'd be way too powerful that way, and unless they introduce some silly rock/paper/scissors (kryptonite) which would be lame ... I'm guessing there are some major limitations. The writing here has typically been a fair bit better than Heroes.

Based on what happened I'd guess when he kills someone, he absorbs the aether that was used to create that person's trouble and then passes it on to the next person he touches ... unchanged (it was the same oxygen trouble).

The interesting question is whether he has any control over it. And with that in mind, whether he has access to the previous troubles he's 'removed'. Since we've never seen him absorb aether before, that would be kind of weak ... but I suppose they could write it off as having been contained in the blood he absorbed.

If I had to guess though, I bet it's only from this point on?

Charlotte is Audrey's mother? How does that even work lol?
She's Mara's mother. Not sure what you mean about how does that work? Do you mean because of her age?

We really have little information on who they are, what they are, or where they come from. It could simply be that time moves differently on the other side. Since Mara (in whatever form she happens to take) only comes over for a limited time and then goes back in for a generation ... she doesn't really age. Then again, for all we know Mara and the others don't even age (or age slowly) even while here. I imagine this will get explained in due time.

One possible scenario is that they do age while here (but don't on their side) and Mara actually was originally young when she first started coming over. That could explain their ages seeming similar. Only problem with that is so far they seem to have implied a start date (Croatoan?) ... and all examples of Mara have been around the same age. Then again, that might be a red herring and it's been going on far longer?

Main problem with that theory is that would mean Mara was that fucked up as a young girl ... and was 'cursed' or whatever to try and stop her as a child. I guess that isn't so much a problem, just that it's pretty fucked up lol :p

Anyway, I'm gonna assume Charlotte was either released when the barn imploded or came through a thinny.

Well, this episode certainly had some interesting moments. Did Mara turn Duke into an ether factory? Charlotte is Audrey's mother? How does that even work lol?

Either Charlotte is Mara's mother or Charlotte is one of the people that creates the personalities/minds that inhabit Mara's body. Or in other words she's one of the people that originally punished Mara.

Raistlin

Either Charlotte is Mara's mother or Charlotte is one of the people that creates the personalities/minds that inhabit Mara's body. Or in other words she's one of the people that originally punished Mara.
That's a good point. I'd have to rewatch to see the exact quote.

Did she say 'I'm Mara's mother' or did she say to Audrey 'I'm your mother'? I thought it was the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom