• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haydee

sonicmj1

Can't you just nude mod Skyrim like everyone else.

Seriously.

Well my point simply is "niche products like these, aren't a good demo of the problem with female representation in the industry".
I have no interest in the game itself (i think it looks bad and off-putting, myself) and am not really judging it on that ground, i was responding to a very specific post.

It's not exactly a great example of the problem as a whole because it's so extreme, but this game is a perfect example of how a female character design can be objectified in a video game. From the exaggerated proportions to the useless heels to the animations designed solely to demonstrate the character's assets, it hits all the basic criteria of a character designed for sex appeal above any sort of functional attachment to the game world.

That's just one aspect of female representation, but it's an important aspect. You could go on to explore how this character design philosophy presents itself in more subtle ways in different kinds of games.

It doesn't distract from the game aspect of it. It wouldn't make sense to me for people to play this to just look at the character or something.

It absolutely does. Her body covers half the screen. The game uses an RE4-type tight third person camera even though it's a platforming-heavy exploration game. There is a very obvious reason why they chose to use a camera that limits the player's spatial awareness so severely: so that the player would always have a very good view of the character model.

I think this was made to provide a challenging puzzle game to play while giving those who find such characters attractive an attractive character to play as.
Not "exploiting horny boys" so much as offering something titillating to those who enjoy it on top of a game itself.Why?
It doesn't distract from the game aspect of it. It wouldn't make sense to me for people to play this to just look at the character or something.

You give games like this and their developers way too much credit.

It definitely distracts from the game aspect of it when the camera is positioned in such a way that it gives you an extremely detailed view of the character at the expense of being able to see the environment around you.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
At least she's black, so diversity...yay? :p

I was wondering why OP was being vague by not showing any pictures or videos and side-stepping the elephant in the room, grand effort! XD
Well, since it's a robot/android, it's really just a skin tone . . . for her sexualization. :p

SomTervo

It literally does distract me, actually.

The game might be absolutely fantastic. Furthermore, it sounds exactly up my street. I love puzzles, I love difficult games, I love old school Tomb Raider.

But every minute I'll be looking at that ridiculous ass and thinking "... why?" It's flagrant. And I enjoy watching player characters, especially in third-person games, to appreciate their animations and increase the immersion.

In this case, there's no answer to the "why" question, which will piss me off, and repeatedly make it clear how little thought was put into it, compromising the whole endeavour for me. Even if the quality of these animations is pretty excellent, and is indeed sexy. It's just evidently meaningless.

I mean, there are a few posts in this thread that are along those lines, and this is neogaf, where you see less of that sentiment than most other communities. I didn't say I agreed with it, but there's clearly a audience for this game that is the 2edgy4me crowd.

Fair enough, and yeah I was on board with the rest of your post.

RedSwirl

It was so awful. You played as a woman in skin tight lycra. Your dance moves made you shoot lasers out of your hands at enemy robots.

Gameplay was terrible. It was basically a game made so you could look at the main character's ass the entire time. I think it had an unlock costume that basically made her wear nothing, IIRC.

That game was my shit for a while. Shinji Mikami directed that. It was one of the Capcom 5.

It actually had the potential for a good system with the right combinations of moves being used against the right group of enemies. It just ended up being really underdeveloped with repetitive levels

Xisiqomelir

To save you need to go to specific save rooms (nothing new there) but in order to save you need to use floppy disks that you find in the game and they are a limited resource. So you can only save when you think its okay to do so and you wanna spend one disk on it. Everything in the game is actually a limited resource, so if you shoot that bullet, its gone forever, if you use that medpack, its gone forever, it is totally possible to get as far into the game and realize it is impossible to continue because you have lost too many resources.

Sold.

The complex seem pretty big and the store page does say its 160 rooms, the problem is that there is a lack of a map and unless you start drawing or have a phenomenal sense of direction you're gonna get lost quickly cause the game wants you to go back and forth all the time whenever you find something.

Double-sold.

It's a fun game, but the difficulty is getting to me a bit, like just thinking about playing it stresses me out a bit. It's also the epitome of the "I haven't played the game but I hate it and will make sure to talk as much shit about it as possible" mindset.

Fredrik

The game actually seems quite okay gameplay-wise but omg the character design is just crazy, makes doa seem tame in comparison. Still great that she's not super-thin waist down with curves like that and there is some weight in the robot-meat as well.

Top Bottom