• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haydee

Toxi

Banned
Honestly, it's more like Metroid 1 and Tomb Raider mashed together with Portal's basic aesthetic. The jank is honestly overstated compared to the more frustrating parts, such as the lack of a map.
Not having a map in a game like this is baffling.

Are the power-ups fun at least? All I've seen so far are various kinds of keys and a gun.

I think it had an unlock costume that basically made her wear nothing, IIRC.

What? The unlocks were just palette swaps with a pair of different special moves. The last one, the Butterfly suit, remove some "lycra" parts to show some legs and torso (with her butterfly tatoo), but the main difference is that gives you all the special moves - and zero protection.

Sure, you can move the camera to examine better the protagonist's ass...ets, but P.N.03 is still 2000% more cool and less pandering than this shovelware.

SystemBug

Love how the trailer downplays the Tit and Ass aspect to it by filming haydee in dark environments or just plainly panning the camera away when she climbs.

They know radical feminists will go apeshit about this. But they also know that radical feminists don't actually play games and just watch trailers to get mad over the boob and butt. Smart.
Feminists don't play video games? That's news to me

It was so awful. You played as a woman in skin tight lycra. Your dance moves made you shoot lasers out of your hands at enemy robots.

Gameplay was terrible. It was basically a game made so you could look at the main character's ass the entire time. I think it had an unlock costume that basically made her wear nothing, IIRC.

I loved that game! The controls were the intial hurdle for me but once you figured out each enemies firing pattern and got used to not being able to strafe you could do backflips, cartwheels and flips around enemy fire and blast the shit out of them whilst striking a sassy pose! Thought it was a great arcade shooter, a bit repetitive at times, but fun!

EDIT: I unlocked all the outfits back in the day and don't even remember a "nudey" type outfit at all!

Not having a map in a game like this is baffling.

Are the power-ups fun at least? All I've seen so far are various kinds of keys and a gun.

To my knowledge there's apparently equippables like body armor, night vision, gas mask, and a magnum and semi-auto. There's also a tool that lets you attach a wi-fi device to specific switches that lets you activate them remotely. Nothing incredible, but for a small game like this, at least there's a bit of variety.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I loved that game! The controls were the intial hurdle for me but once you figured out each enemies firing pattern and got used to not being able to strafe you could do backflips, cartwheels and flips around enemy fire and blast the shit out of them whilst striking a sassy pose! Thought it was a great arcade shooter, a bit repetitive at times, but fun!

EDIT: I unlocked all the outfits back in the day and don't even remember a "nudey" type outfit at all!

Yeah, to be honest I remember PN03 quite fondly as well. I do remember it focussing on Vanessa's backside though, but - at least in my memories - it was way more designed towards style and dancing than about oogling. Also, no high heels.

Regiruler

What do you mean? A "masturbatory game" can't also be fun to play? Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made, and features sex front and center (albeit in a comedic fashion).
Even Extreme Beach volleyball (only played the first one myself) was pretty fun in being a volleyball game (it was no Beach Spikers, but still...).

I'm not arguing that a game with sex as a strong visual focus has to be a running joke or intentionally shit game, i'm saying to just be honest about what you're doing, and the problem with sexualization in gaming is people really aren't.
That's why you have bikini armor in otherwise straightforward games, not because of niche shit like this.

For what it's worth, Bayonetta is somewhat ugly which lessens the... "less desirable" appeal a lot. Hell, if you use a costume it's removed entirely (I can't remember the last time I played it in the default tbh).

They know radical feminists will go apeshit about this. But they also know that radical feminists don't actually play games and just watch trailers to get mad over the boob and butt. Smart.

Why would anyone go apeshit over this? It's a laughable attempt at selling an objectively mediocre game. The fact that people have bought it is a testament to the diversity of maturity in the medium and another chip in the pile called "sex sells".

Toxi

Banned
To my knowledge there's apparently equippables like body armor, night vision, gas mask, and a magnum and semi-auto. There's also a tool that lets you attach a wi-fi device to specific switches that lets you activate them remotely. Nothing incredible, but for a small game like this, at least there's a bit of variety.
That's cool at least. I'll watch some more footage and see if it becomes more interesting.

Luminaire

1394494484240440.jpg

The first thing that comes to mind, but with a vacuum cleaner instead.

Platy

No it's not a good example.
People are allowed to make games with sexual themes and visuals, and at least this game doesn't seem like it's trying to hide it or be coy about it.
Unlike Kojima with Quiet and other such examples.

Textbooks usually give example on a perfect environment that focus on the thing and nothing more. When a textbook explains about acceleration force, it does not includes friction even if almost every real world effects of acceleration includes friction.

That being said, this games is so insane that it actualy functions on more than one level !

The objetification on this game is SO INSANE that I was not even 1 bit surprised when I saw that the dev posted stuff on 4chan. Even games like Metal gear 5, Dead or Alive Xtreme, Bayonetta and...fuck, even Rapelay tries to gives a personality, facial features and a life behind the women they portray. This game you are LITERALY an object without anything but tits and butts. And it was the idea since the beginning considering how the "trow bodies on pits" mechanic work on this game. I simply can't even think of a game that does objetification like this game. Even GlaDos who literaly have no face and
becomes the literal object of a potato
is less objectified and have more personality and is more of a person than this.

Love how the trailer downplays the Tit and Ass aspect to it by filming haydee in dark environments or just plainly panning the camera away when she climbs.

1) Radical Feminists are not what you think it means. It is mostly used for second wave feminists. Try "extreme feminists"
2) WHAT THE FLYING FUCK is the "feminists don't actually play games" idea ? I am not sure if you are saying that women in general don't play games, you are agreeing that the videogame environment is toxic enough that makes women stay away from games (ok that probably not) or just that "people who complain about things I like can't complain about the things I like".

UrbanRats

Textbooks usually give example on a perfect environment that focus on the thing and nothing more. When a textbook explains about acceleration force, it does not includes friction even if almost every real world effects of acceleration includes friction.
Yes, you use a nameless bot character in the game, and i never claimed no objectification took place in it, it's still not a very good (let alone perfect) example of "objectification of women in gaming" as you mentioned, because it is not representative of the widespread issue at all, for the reasons i detailed more than enough.

That's cool at least. I'll watch some more footage and see if it becomes more interesting.

That's not to say it gets amazing later, though. It's fucking frustrating as a designer to see all these design mistakes that are supposed to make it seem hard but don't actually make it fun. Seriously, it's extremely tempting to try and one-up this dev and try to do something similar that both plays better and handles the sexuality much more meaningfully.

There's a woman (apparently) as the main character... is there anything else?

There is a semi-non-linear structure with multiple available areas after the tutorial, but the problem is that you don't have a map and thus don't know where you're fucking going half the time or where you should be going to get the stuff you need to progress. You also get new equipment to go through certain areas (night vision, gas mask, etc) and occasionally help solve puzzles (a remote device that you put on any switch to activate it from anywhere in the room). It's basically Metroid 1 mashed together with Tomb Raider.

At least she's black, so diversity...yay? :p

I was wondering why OP was being vague by not showing any pictures or videos and side-stepping the elephant in the room, grand effort! XD

people who like this sort of bad animation and character design are super easy to pander to so this is probably a sustainable business model. and you don't have to spend hardly any money on game design or advertising.

Basketball

How dare he released this game in 2016

Doesn't he know the year... it's 2016.

Any kind of sexy/titillation needs to be meaningful and MUST BE justified. We got to move the medium forward. I would be so embarrassed to play this Infront of my dog's girlfriend.

How dare he released this game in 2016

Doesn't he know the year... it's 2016.

Any kind of sexy/titillation needs to be meaningful and MUST BE justified. We got to move the medium forward. I would be so embarrassed to play this Infront of my dog's girlfriend.

How dare people have opinions about things, amirite?

DrArchon

Man, if I knew that all it took to make a successful game on Steam was a faceless fuckdoll and some claims that it's for "Hardcore" gamers, I'd have gone into game development ages ago.

It's the lack of a face that really gets me though. People can get off to whatever they want, but just that blank white space where the face should be creeps me out when combined with her massive boobs and ass.

Man, if I knew that all it took to make a successful game on Steam was a faceless fuckdoll and some claims that it's for "Hardcore" gamers, I'd have gone into game development ages ago.

It's the lack of a face that really gets me though. People can get off to whatever they want, but just that blank white space where the face should be creeps me out when combined with her massive boobs and ass.

it's definitely unsettling.

the people who make these types of games clearly have no respect for their audience.

"these horny idiots will buy anything"

I had a friend which can do fantastic bodies but always hide faces because he was really bad about that, maybe same situation?

DrArchon

I had a friend which can do fantastic bodies but always hide faces because he was really bad about that, maybe same situation?

I don't know what engine this is running on, but for something like Unity you could just grab a head model off of the asset store if that was really needed. Still, anything's possible.

A faceless sexbot would make for a powerful statement about objectification of women in games, but I doubt the dev was going for that.

Shredderi

I think it's harmless. I hate boob armors and needless fanservice, but I never have issue when the product is so blatant about what it's main draw is. If it pretended to not be about what it really is about, then yeah, then I have an issue. I might buy it when it goes on sale. I don't ever buy games like these but something about big butts just... I have no problem with the fact that the model has no face either.

Battlechili

Banned
I decided to try it out after seeing to much talk about it.

I asked for a refund after close to an hour. Under the tits and ass there is actually a "okay" Metroidvania style game. However, it is actually quite frustrating. To save you need to go to specific save rooms (nothing new there) but in order to save you need to use floppy disks that you find in the game and they are a limited resource. So you can only save when you think its okay to do so and you wanna spend one disk on it. Everything in the game is actually a limited resource, so if you shoot that bullet, its gone forever, if you use that medpack, its gone forever, it is totally possible to get as far into the game and realize it is impossible to continue because you have lost too many resources.
That sounds very oldschool Resident Evil-y. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I like the idea of such difficulty personally, but at the same time, it reminds me a bit of htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary, which initially I thought sounded cool in idea but wound up extremely frustrating instead of fun.
What does this have to do with Metroid Prime OP?, pls...
You go through a maze-like structure of rooms where you need to find useful equipment and solve puzzles in order to progress through some rooms and get to new rooms. You also save at designated save points that you find as you progress.
Bayonetta is somewhat ugly
what

Dio

Banned
it's definitely unsettling.

the people who make these types of games clearly have no respect for their audience.

"these horny idiots will buy anything"

I think you taking that much of a cynical view is kind of unhealthy, even if they did. Sometimes people want to make things like this and it's not because they want to exploit you or because they have malicious intent. Not every boob or butt in videogames was put there to tempt you or trick you.

On the bright side, there's plenty of nooks and crannies to explore. You can even find mines that you can use to lead robots into and they go flying. Fun.

It's a shame that the weapons feel so stupidly lacking, though. The pistol feels like an airsoft gun.

It was so awful. You played as a woman in skin tight lycra. Your dance moves made you shoot lasers out of your hands at enemy robots.

Gameplay was terrible. It was basically a game made so you could look at the main character's ass the entire time. I think it had an unlock costume that basically made her wear nothing, IIRC.

Whaa. I enjoyed that game so much, and I thought the animations were stunning. It was awkward to control, but it was more about staying on the rhythm while dodging and shooting. It worked alright when you got into it. Anyway, that game had fanservice with the booty and that one unlockable costume (which is hard to unlock). Not nearly as blatant as Haydee with booty close-ups and jiggly boobs from the first second. Even Bayonetta starts the games being covered up, and the 'fanservice' is more cinematic rather than part of even a basic gameplay move like crouching.

I think you taking that much of a cynical view is kind of unhealthy, even if they did. Sometimes people want to make things like this and it's not because they want to exploit you or because they have malicious intent. Not every boob or butt in videogames was put there to tempt you or trick you.

i'm not making that claim. this was very clearly made to exploit horny boys.

nullset2

Feminists don't play video games? That's news to me

"Radical" feminists. Or Extreme feminists as another poster corrected me. Nothing wrong with being a feminist. People of all kinds play all kinds of games.

However, there's the type that'd rather scavenge gaming media to protest against boob and butt on the Internet instead of playing the games though, much as there's a sizable demographic of people who'd rather post in a message board about games instead of playing them. That is all I meant.

Corpekata

Banned
Yes, I'm sure they cut a trailer for their titmonster game specifically to avoid controversy from the radical feminists, even though as evidenced by the buyers and defenders in this thread, annoying that camp is apparently a very desirable reason to purchase it.

SomTervo

"Radical" feminists. Or Extreme feminists as another poster corrected me. Nothing wrong with being a feminist. People of all kinds play all kinds of games.

However, there's the type that'd rather scavenge gaming media to protest against boob and butt on the Internet instead of playing the games though, much as there's a sizable demographic of people who'd rather post in a message board about games instead of playing them. That is all I meant.

I'm a regular old feminist and I won't be buying this game based on what I've seen. Shit's ridiculous.

I don't really see how anyone could defend it, unless there's a story reason behind the robot being like that. Which I really doubt. It seems like totally unabashed titillation. Which isn't in itself bad, but is bad when you're trying to make an evidently serious and challenging game.

Yes, I'm sure they cut a trailer for their titmonster game specifically to avoid controversy from the radical feminists, even though as evidenced by the buyers and defenders in this thread, annoying that camp is apparently a very desirable reason to purchase it.

it is?

"Radical" feminists I can sort of get, but you don't need to be radical to see what's wrong with this game, design-wise.

Battlechili

Banned
i'm not making that claim. this was very clearly made to exploit horny boys.
I think this was made to provide a challenging puzzle game to play while giving those who find such characters attractive an attractive character to play as.
Not "exploiting horny boys" so much as offering something titillating to those who enjoy it on top of a game itself.
but is bad when you're trying to make an evidently serious and challenging game.
Why?
It doesn't distract from the game aspect of it. It wouldn't make sense to me for people to play this to just look at the character or something.

SystemBug

But that's such a strange argument I find all the time. People who I know who can be categorized as "extreme" feminists play video games.

Maybe these "extreme" feminists are smart enough to stick away from a medium which holds one of the most misogynistic and racist people within them. So, we should probably give them credit if anything.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm a regular old feminist and I won't be buying this game based on what I've seen. Shit's ridiculous.

I don't really see how anyone could defend it, unless there's a story reason behind the robot being like that. Which I really doubt. It seems like totally unabashed titillation. Which isn't in itself bad, but is bad when you're trying to make an evidently serious and challenging game.

it is?

"Radical" feminists I can sort of get, but you don't need to be radical to see what's wrong with this game, design-wise.

I mean, there are a few posts in this thread that are along those lines, and this is neogaf, where you see less of that sentiment than most other communities. I didn't say I agreed with it, but there's clearly a audience for this game that is the 2edgy4me crowd.

HerjansEagleFeeder

Gold Member
I don't think titillation existing necessarily implies it existing for the same purpose as porn. Personally, I find that it makes video games more enjoyable as its own extra fun aspect on top of the gameplay that's already there. As in, its something pleasant to look at while playing a game (well, for those that like such content anyways). Plus some might argue that such content is better than porn, as it leaves more to the imagination. Like, not everything that has sex appeal necessarily exists for the same reason porn does.

....Plus I actually like the game.

This. Listen to the man.

Top Bottom