• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haydee

Shang

This game makes me feel gross just for being aware of it. I never really lend much credence to the Male Gaze theory, but uh... gee. I guess this still doesn't count as Male Gaze, because that normally implies it's subconscious, but this is so blatantly intentional it hurts.

.......so it's on Steam, you say?

pFgSxyO.png

image.php

That's fucking terrifying, that means someone chopped someone else up and attached a robot head to her corpse.

What's the lore here?

Part of me hopes that Haydee is some kind of satire about the objectification of women in videogames (or just in general). Like, you're supposed to feel bad about how this character was apparently turned into a literal sex object and how everything, including the game's own camera, is actively demeaning the player character. I hope that maybe, the point of the game is supposed to make the player feel awful for subjecting Haydee to ceaseless trials of torture, tedium, and objectification.

But most of me suspects the game is just pile of trash with either an egregious lack of tact or a shameless means of marketing. Shame too, because with the right angle and design competence (and a few shreds of decency for that matter), I think the premise could be the basis of an actually decent satire.

Dio

Banned
Part of me hopes that Haydee is some kind of satire about the objectification of women in videogames (or just in general). Like, you're supposed to feel bad about how this character was apparently turned into a literal sex object and how everything, including the game's own camera, is actively demeaning the player character. I hope that maybe, the point of the game is supposed to make the player feel awful for subjecting Haydee to ceaseless trials of torture, tedium, and objectification.

But most of me suspects the game is just pile of trash with either an egregious lack of tact or a shameless means of marketing.
Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.

That being said, I can't say I haven't had the urge to make a character that appealed to my own tastes for kicks and then build a game around that after the fact. I might still do it someday, although my excitement over it might wear off before I even finish rigging the model.

If there were more women in the game dev sphere I wouldn't mind seeing them making some male objectification games to even out the fact that I get to enjoy them. Hopefully that improves soon.

Johndoey

Banned
That design is bad on every level. I mean come on people, that's some embarrassing shit to use to market your product.

"Here check out our shitty sex-bot, you animals"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is this a rick and morty game?

q12Vrj2.gif

RedSwirl

I understood exactly where this was going when I saw the Steam title card for the game.

After watching and reading a bit, it seems like this game was made by some skilled level designers and coders who couldn't afford an artist. That's what a lot of indie games on Steam feel like actually.

L Thammy

Is this some kind of cyborg where the only human parts remaining are the legs and ass?

"Sorry, they were the only part of her we could save. I'm serious."

low-G

I'd be ok with it if the assets (not those assets) were on par with other modern titles... no face on the MC? Almost no textures?

Battlechili

Banned
I'd be ok with it if the assets (not those assets) were on par with other modern titles... no face on the MC? Almost no textures?

Yeah, its lacking a lot of detail that it could otherwise benefit from. Though even comparing it to other modern titles, there are some relatively recent games that also have such simplistic design. Superhot being a popular more recent example. Not that that makes it any better, but rather, comparing it to other modern titles there are still some games that have such a lack of detail.

Plus as jediyoshi said, it fits the general cleanness. But I do think it could benefit from a bit more detail. A friend of mine suggested that the main character should have some sort of battery or power supply on her back.

Fitts

Yup I laughed. And here I thought that Sylvie Paula Paula wasn't going to have any competition for worst character design of the year.

Golnei

As to be expected, there's mod support.
tumblr_oed0tm99cE1r3by1to1_400.png

Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe.

That being said, I can't say I haven't had the urge to make a character that appealed to my own tastes for kicks and then build a game around that after the fact. I might still do it someday, although my excitement over it might wear off before I even finish rigging the model.

Go on...

Seriously, though; I do think that designers being honest about producing content that caters to their specific preferences can result in work that benefits overall from a stronger sense of unique identity. It doesn't necessarily mean that everything needs to be an impenetrable auteur-driven art piece for an audience of one, but centring it around material they have genuine passion and/or fetishistic interest in can lead to the creation of something with more appeal than generally acceptable blandness, especially in this medium so dominated by focus tested AAA games for everyone.

Make your ostentatious fetish game, you might be surprised with who it resonates with.

Vex_

Banned
If the protagonist looked like a normal robot, or hell, the same robot but with regular proportions, I could probably enjoy the game.

But you have to do this every time you climb a ledge.

A315F6D754AEFB14FB94347AE5FD5A7F34BA6924

Alright. I have never seen this game before today, but it really looks like I would enjoy the art and gameplay. It looks like tomb raider.

That's very nice looking. Will look into this on steam. Thanks op!

Nimajneb

A 3D metroidvania with grid-based inventory management is right up my alley, but I just can't get over that character design. I would probably play it is somebody released a nonperv mod.

Battlechili

Banned
Hey I love everybody here.

But Yall gotta quit clogging Steam by buying nekopara
Some people want those games to be successful and have them available on Steam. If it weren't for Steam, I don't think they do as well which hurts some niche titles. I think the best course of action would be to use Steam's upcoming filter once Steam's update finally rolls in to help make Steam have games more palated to one's tastes. That way, the people who like them get to keep having them all easily available to them on Steam, and the people who don't don't have to feel as if such content is clogging up Steam and getting in the way of other games.

I need my anime games. Gal Gun recently got released on Steam and I don't think it'd even have a PC port were it not for Steam

Corpekata

Banned
I hate the phrase try hard, but that's all that comes to mind with this game and its audience.

I bet everyone that owns it owns Hatred too.

Battlechili

Banned
Oh, so it's for nine year olds on Twitch?

These gifs are awkward as fuck.
I think nine year olds would get discouraged by the game's difficulty fairly easily. It gets boring watching someone die over and over on Twitch. Or just standing around trying to figure out what to do next. Heck, I couldn't get far in the demo precisely because I got discouraged by the puzzles. Couldn't figure out what to do once I got the knife.

RedSwirl

Yeah, its lacking a lot of detail that it could otherwise benefit from. Though even comparing it to other modern titles, there are some relatively recent games that also have such simplistic design. Superhot being a popular more recent example. Not that that makes it any better, but rather, comparing it to other modern titles there are still some games that have such a lack of detail.

Plus as jediyoshi said, it fits the general cleanness. But I do think it could benefit from a bit more detail. A friend of mine suggested that the main character should have some sort of battery or power supply on her back.

It seems hiring an artist counts for a lot.

Mephala

I... I am disappointed on so many levels. The OP made it sound better than it looks that is for sure.

I'm slightly intrigued with the back of her head. Are those plugs? Used for anything?

I'll probably just pretend this game doesn't exist.

Platy

Look at the bright side ... anyone talking about videogame objectification of women can just show some footage of this game and people will totaly understand, because this is textbook example, the "women being objectified in gaming 101"

Alucrid

Banned
Look at the bright side ... anyone talking about videogame objectification of women can just show some footage of this game and people will totaly understand, because this is textbook example, the "women being objectified in gaming 101"

but platy, the op says it's a robot

can i judge people, cuz i wanna judge people

on a serious note, i'd love to know if the character was created first or last. middle is not an option.

Top Bottom