• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Official Thread, JCBossman Memorial and Skittles Appreciation. BOOSH!

nib95

Banned
Looking at other pretty crappy FPS lately, I think they were overly harsh on Haze. They gave Blacksite a 6.2 and Turning Point Fall of Libery a 5. Based on the demo of Haze alone, plus the fact that it's got some new ideas even if IGN think they're gimmicky, coupled with 4 player co-op and what is undoubtedly better controls and aiming than the said games, should have given it at least a higher score than these other titles. IGN are a too harsh on PS3 exclusives at times.

acm2000

TimeSplitters
PlayStation 2 Game by Eidos Interactive IGN Score: 8.6

TimeSplitters 2
PlayStation 2 Game by Eidos Interactive IGN Score: 9.1

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
PlayStation 2 Game by Electronic Arts IGN Score: 8.9

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I must confess I am a bit surprised. I always thought it was going to be a rather mediocre game, but not something deserving a 4.5 from IGN of all sites. Using the old maths, Gamespot should score it even lower (not that I expect such thing nowadays).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Brashnir said:
with greater horizontal fidelity. I believe Haze runs in 1024x576, while PAL is 720x576.

589,824 pixels vs 414,720 pixels total.

edit - as an aside, they should unban AltogetherAndrews just for the value of his reaction to this score.

1024 x 576 is still rubbish, hell, I refuse to play PC games at below 1024 x 768, just because regardless of how good a game engine is, below that res it turns games to blurry hell.

Anyway, I read through the IGN review, and its obvious the reviewer didn't like Haze at all, I don't blame him either because Nectar was supposed to be the games USP, if the game pulls it from you in only a few levels whats the point of including it? Especially as the troops don't seem to use it against you went you go "rebel".

I feel for FRD, but I have to ask what the hell were they doing these last 3 years, each Timesplitters game took much less time to make but were quality games, what went wrong here?
omg rite said:
Did anyone NOT expect this?
I honestly expected 7-8s for Haze, not special but a passable FPS at least, 5 hours + Nectar rubbish + AI issues + bad shooting + bad level design = What the hell has happened to FRD?

nib95

Banned
randomwab said:
I'm in work and IGN is blocked, but can someone look and see what they gave the TimeSplitter games and Second Sight?

TimeSplitters - 8.6
TimeSplitters 2 - 9.1
TimeSplitters Future Perfect - 8.9
Second SIght - 7.9

pswii60

omg rite said:
Did anyone NOT expect this?
Me.

It's Free Radical. Since when did they make 4.5/10 games? There's Wii shovelware that scores better than that on IGN!

Something tells me all their talent left at the end of Future Perfect.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Stop It said:
1024 x 576 is still rubbish, hell, I refuse to play PC games at below 1024 x 768, just because regardless of how good a game engine is, below that res it turns games to blurry hell.

Anyway, I read through the IGN review, and its obvious the reviewer didn't like Haze at all, I don't blame him either because Nectar was supposed to be the games USP, if the game pulls it from you in only a few levels whats the point of including it? Especially as the troops don't seem to use it against you went you go "rebel".

I feel for FRD, but I have to ask what the hell were they doing these last 3 years, each Timesplitters game took much less time to make but were quality games, what went wrong here?

I honestly expected 7-8s for Haze, not special but a passable FPS at least, 5 hours + Nectar rubbish + AI issues + bad shooting + bad level design = What the hell has happened to FRD?

An 8? Really? People have been shitting on this game forever, for legit reasons.

Brashnir

Stop It said:

I don't know how big their team is, but a lot of the problems might have stemmed from transitioning into PS3(60?) development. It may have simply been more than they could handle. That might also explain the "is it/isn't it coming to 360" confusion. Maybe they just didn't have the manpower or talent necessary to compete with the top FPS games at this gen's level and had to keep scaling back.

This is all just speculation. I don't have any inside info.

Kyoufu

To be honest, none of FR's games ever felt like they were trying to be anything more than Goldeneye for their generation. By the time TS3 came out I had moved on to more cutting-edge FPS games.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Brashnir said:
I don't know how big their team is, but a lot of the problems might have stemmed from transitioning into PS3(60?) development. It may have simply been more than they could handle. That might also explain the "is it/isn't it coming to 360" confusion. Maybe they just didn't have the manpower or talent necessary to compete with the top FPS games at this gen's level and had to keep scaling back.

Plus they don't have a sugar daddy like Microsoft or Sony to keep them on track.

Iksenpets

Banned
Pein said:
I don't remember anyone calling haze a halo killer

Didn't the FR guys call out Halo as a children's game compared to the bold and compelling narrative they were weaving with Haze?

Anyway, to me it sounds like FR just overstepped their capacities in trying to do this epic, serious game. They were better off doing the quirky shooter that didn't try to reinvent the wheel or change the world.

Mr Epic

Banned
Pein said:
I don't remember anyone calling haze a halo killer

It's not so much a Halo killer as it is a very very poor Halo clone. Is it not apparent even from the damn yellow visor, which resembles the mark VI in Halo 3? I suggest that if any of you still plan on purchasing this game that you keep it to yourself, or risk having your rep forever tarnished.

Sean

Banned
Iksenpets said:
Didn't the FR guys call out Halo as a children's game compared to the bold and compelling narrative they were weaving with Haze?

Anyway, to me it sounds like FR just overstepped their capacities in trying to do this epic, serious game. They were better off doing the quirky shooter that didn't try to reinvent the wheel or change the world.

"It's about what's happening in the world today - it's ludicrous, and how can you make something that doesn't reflect that? Well, you could bury your head in the sand and make Halo 3, but the fact of the matter is there are more important things at stake." -- Rob Yescombe, Haze scriptwriter

Pein

Banned
Mr Epic said:
It's not so much a Halo killer as it is a very very poor Halo clone. Is it not apparent even from the damn yellow visor, which resembles the mark VI in Halo 3? I suggest that if any of you still plan on purchasing this game that you keep it to yourself, or risk having your rep forever tarnished.
Well I'm still buying it

disapointmenTON... geeze. 4.5? hangs head in shame. Should we all just gather round, have a vigil for our fallen comrades at FR? HOW DO WE RECOVER?!

... oh, hey! Everyone! Look over there! Metal Gear Solid 4 will soon be upon us!

Iksenpets

Banned
Sean said:
"It's about what's happening in the world today - it's ludicrous, and how can you make something that doesn't reflect that? Well, you could bury your head in the sand and make Halo 3, but the fact of the matter is there are more important things at stake." -- Rob Yescombe, Haze scriptwriter

Ah. I must've misremembered the quote a bit. Sorry about that.

Vorador

Banned
Sean said:

Maybe now he should bury his entire body in sand to escape the shame. Or something.

This is one case where your words will get back to haunt you :lol

Aaron

Vorador said:
Maybe now he should bury his entire body in sand to escape the shame. Or something.

This is one case where your words will get back to haunt you :lol
What? He was the script writer, and from the reviews it seems the story was one of the things Haze did do right, so it's a bit odd to stick him with the blame. Not that it would be very hard to top Halo 3's story. I finished the campaign four times and I don't remember what it was.

2real4tv

I can't believe this all they had to do was deliver a solid 7 or better game and they had my $60 bucks. But a 4.5 and a rumored 5hr campaign is just ridiculous

I'm definitely not surprised by the 4.5 IGN gave it. The game really didn't look too appealing at all. I had high hopes during the first unveiling, but as I got to see it more it just kept giving me the impression of something that wouldn't end up very special at all.

industrian

Aaron said:
What? He was the script writer, and from the reviews it seems the story was one of the things Haze did do right, so it's a bit odd to stick him with the blame.

Exactly. He was the script writer. But I'm sure that won't stop everyone from quoting him whenever they want to bash Haze. Afterall, he did critisise the eternal glory that was the Halo 3 story.

Vorador said:
I've read that is was a bland history with extremely stereotypical characters and development. But maybe i'm wrong...

It's supposed to be a critique of how war is portrayed in videogames. Most of the story has still not been disclosed as well. IIRC the "side change" wasn't the only twist or something.

Bigmac573

Banned
So I was looking through the IGN Wii reviews...and discovered that Haze now shares its place in gaming immortality with this gem:

my_horse_and_me_wiiboxart_160w.jpg
= 4.5

Vorador

Banned
Aaron said:
What? He was the script writer, and from the reviews it seems the story was one of the things Haze did do right, so it's a bit odd to stick him with the blame. Not that it would be very hard to top Halo 3's story. I finished the campaign four times and I don't remember what it was.

I think i've read that Haze's storytelling was bland, and stereotypical at best. Maybe i'm wrong...

PD: Nevermind, it was on the IGN review.

PPD: I got a database error trying to post this....i hope nothing crashes like the other time...

industrian

Vorador said:
I think i've read that Haze's storytelling was bland, and stereotypical at best. Maybe i'm wrong...

It's supposed to be a critique of how war is portrayed in videogames. Most of the story has still not been disclosed as well. IIRC the "side change" wasn't the only twist or something.

Vorador said:
PPD: I got a database error trying to post this....i hope nothing crashes like the other time...

It's been slow and shit for me as well. I just assumed it was my work's connection.

Busty

Banned
pswii60 said:
Me.

It's Free Radical. Since when did they make 4.5/10 games? There's Wii shovelware that scores better than that on IGN!

Agreed whole heartedly. I can't help but think that for people such as myself who put well into a hundred hours into the Timesplitter series over the years this game is going to hit alot of right notes that perhaps some others might not appreciate or enjoy.

Bots in MP and the typical FR humour for a start.

pswii60 said:
Something tells me all their talent left to work on Star Wars Battlefront 3 and Timesplitters 4 half way through the delayed, problematic development of HAZE.

Fixed.

SpokkX

oh shit 4.5?!

The game never looked good to begin with and the demo was very generic. I expected mabye 6.5 but I guess the game is even worse than I thought

Huggers

SpokkX said:
oh shit 4.5?!

The game never looked good to begin with and the demo was very generic. I expected mabye 6.5 but I guess the game is even worse than I thought

Hmm, thats an interesting and original take on Haze. :D

antiloop

This is a megaton if anything. To think that the makers of fcking Goldeneye could sink this low.

Now I just have to try it myself to see what went wrong.

Top Bottom