• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haze Official Thread, JCBossman Memorial and Skittles Appreciation. BOOSH!

Busty

Banned
Gsus_89 said:
This is what happens to all Halo-Killer shooters. You know which game is next :D

You're only 14 posts into your GAF account and your already hitting out with stuff like this?

ymmv

Banned
SpokkX said:
oh shit 4.5?!

The game never looked good to begin with and the demo was very generic. I expected mabye 6.5 but I guess the game is even worse than I thought

Or maybe IGN was overly harsh. The demo I played didn't bowl me over, but it certainly wasn't 4.5 material. Even if the single player is lacking, the game still should have received a 6-7 score if the multiplayer options were decent.

RoH

I think I'm going to give up on big review sites, I see a game like RB6v2 come out with a crap story and all sorts of bugs, and it gets good to great reviews. But the same site that would look over these things for one game, rip games like Haze apart for much less. Does this bad review turn me away from the game? yes it does, in the long run will I play it and like it? probably.

JCBossman

Banned
I think it really took a hit for the poor quality Visuals, because if a MGS series can do alright score wise with a story like that, ANYTHING can do ok as long as looks good and plays well. Funny thing FR was one of the best in the visual dept. last gen.

antiloop

4.5 Presentation
A bland story with weak characters and simplistic commentaries on serious topics, Haze is a generic tale at best about war.
4.0 Graphics
Tons of visual issues abound within the game, from texture tears and non-descript environments to pop-in and odd animation problems.
5.0 Sound
Dialogue is hokey and repetitive regardless of what side you're on. Sound effects are good, but that's not enough to make you turn the volume up once you've hit mute.
4.5 Gameplay
A creative concept hampered by gimmicks, a weak story and poor AI, Haze is a disappointment from a developer well versed in shooter mechanics.
4.5 Lasting Appeal
Two player split-screen and four player co-op helps put a minor spin on the campaign, but it won't extend the replayability of the game much. Nor will multiplayer modes and its useless merit system.
Poor OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Oh well. At least it got a 5.0 for sound. But they are still telling us to mute it. :lol

randomwab

makingmusic476 said:
'Tis done.

Thanks.

Reading through the review, it seems that whoever wrote it really didn't like Nectar. He spends most of his review complaining about it. It also seems like he has pretty high expectations for Haze due to Free Rad's past games (not that we can really blame him).

squicken

Iksenpets said:
Didn't the FR guys call out Halo as a children's game compared to the bold and compelling narrative they were weaving with Haze?

Anyway, to me it sounds like FR just overstepped their capacities in trying to do this epic, serious game. They were better off doing the quirky shooter that didn't try to reinvent the wheel or change the world.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/h...a-20070515105934503025/g-20060510152410594044

freer3.jpg

Huggers

SpokkX said:
yeah can you observe a pattern? maybe there is something to it ;)

Ha I think I do see a pattern immerging. I just thought everyone was all generic-ed out comment wise, seems you had at least one more left in you

test_account

XP-39C²
Pity for Free Radical :( After working that long on the game and then only receive 4.5 out of 10 :\ I hope for their sake that the game sell relatively well atleast.

DC R1D3R

Banned
So IGN gave Haze a 4.5 huh? Not a good look :[

Well seeing as GAF sites IGN as one of the least biased sites out there, the game must be pretty poor and I've now really gotta question EDGE's rather "glowing" preview of Haze (as opposed to the rather negative preview of NG2) in last months issue. I'll be eagerly awaiting their final scores cos something just doesn't add up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
WOW 4.5 , the demo was bad but not this bad , where is your money Ubi ?

JCBossman said:
I think it really took a hit for the poor quality Visuals, because if a MGS series can do alright score wise with a story like that, ANYTHING can do ok as long as looks good and plays well. Funny thing FR was one of the best in the visual dept. last gen.

oh welcome back , i thought you got permabanned since it's a whole year since your nonsense and we still don't pay monthly fee for PSN :lol

speevy said:
Is this the lowest rated game ever to receive an official thread?

was there an official thread for God Hand ? also LAIR got the same scores and got official thread

antiloop

acm2000 said:
just to make haze even bigger disappointment, it has a 4GB mandatory install

At least they understood the point with a harddrive in every PS3. It has almost no load times. (just one in the beginning?)

I would say that's a big step for next-gen even if the rest of the game sucks.

Speevy

Banned
antiloop said:
At least they understood the point with a harddrive in every PS3. It has almost no load times. (just one in the beginning?)

Perhaps they based the entire game around having no load times.

"Okay Bob, we made absolutely sure there were no load times. Can we test some of these levels now?"

"Nah, send out some glow sticks instead."

Speevy

Banned
Totobeni said:
was there an official thread for God Hand ? also LAIR got the same scores and got official thread

Yeah, Lair is pretty low, but God Hand's IGN review was actually way off the mark from its final Gamerankings score.

pswii60

nib95 said:
Looking at other pretty crappy FPS lately, I think they were overly harsh on Haze. They gave Blacksite a 6.2 and Turning Point Fall of Libery a 5. Based on the demo of Haze alone, plus the fact that it's got some new ideas even if IGN think they're gimmicky, coupled with 4 player co-op and what is undoubtedly better controls and aiming than the said games, should have given it at least a higher score than these other titles. IGN are a too harsh on PS3 exclusives at times.
Yeah, do you reckon MS has paid them off on this one? Seems a bit suspect to me.
antiloop said:

Uncharted didn't have any visible load times.

Rainy Dog

antiloop said:

Uncharted had no load times either and that required no mandatory install, just enough free space for temp caching.

antiloop

Rainy Dog said:
Uncharted had no load times either and that required no mandatory install, just enough free space for temp caching.

ND vs FR. I don't think that's fair. :)

Uncharted's way of using the harddrive is optimal. But maybe FR:s streaming engine isn't up to the task of using a temp cache.

Huggers

DC R1D3R said:
So IGN gave Haze a 4.5 huh? Not a good look :[

Well seeing as GAF sites IGN as one of the least biased sites out there, the game must be pretty poor and I've now really gotta question EDGE's rather "glowing" preview of Haze (as opposed to the rather negative preview of NG2) in last months issue. I'll be eagerly awaiting their final scores cos something just doesn't add up.

I agree, something really doesn't add up. Looking forward to getting the new issue

pswii60

Speevy said:
It would be funny if Sony won some sort of bidding war for this game.
I think they got the exclusive by offering to pay for the marketing. Apparently Sony have already started advertising it on the TV, although I've not seen any ads yet here in the UK.

To be fair, it's doing well on pre-order charts at online retailers everywhere, so it'll be a hit regardless, at least in the shortterm. GAME started 'committing' pre-orders yesterday too (so you can't cancel them), which is two days earlier than usual. I wonder why :lol

FightyF

Banned
Speevy said:
Is this the lowest rated game ever to receive an official thread?

I'm sure LAIR had an official thread...I'm pretty sure Sonic the Hedgehog (next gen) had it's own thread as well...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Speevy said:
It would be funny if Sony won some sort of bidding war for this game.

it went from Multi to PS3 only so ..

but i guess Sony and Phil ( as SCEWWS boss at that time ) put their money and trust on FRD awesome trackrecord , no one can blame them for that .

Hmm, weird. 1UP has it listed as an "A", but there is not review up yet. I thought that might just be a placeholder, but I looked up GRID, which hasn't released, and it's just rated as HOT.

Something fishy going on here.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
AC didn't get a 4,5 of IGN

And what's up with the high Famitsu score then???

pswii60

King_Slender said:
Hmm, weird. 1UP has it listed as an "A", but there is not review up yet. I thought that might just be a placeholder, but I looked up GRID, which hasn't released, and it's just rated as HOT.

Something fishy going on here.
"Average User Rating"

Busty

Banned
JCBossman said:
So whats the deal, is this back on for the 360 too?

No.

Yes. It's a third party multiformat title. All the doubt came from Sony PR desperately trying to back peddle from the crappy job that Ubi and FR's PR folks did

pswii60

Kabuki Waq said:
I am sure Europeans will buy this game. They seem to love every crappy game by UBI.
Yeah, but they don't love the good ones, like BG&E. Besides, Ubi are only publishing this. If it really is as bad as IGN make it out to be, then it's all down to Free Radical.

Lince

Banned
Rainy Dog said:

Uncharted needs more praise as ND first effort on the PS3 tricky hardware, truly underrated. On the other hand FR's own effort seems amateurish at best, fuck it even that lonely coder at Capcom did a better job porting DMC4 for the PS3.

Top Bottom