• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IAmtheFMan said:
I'm cautiously optimistic for this, but I feel like they may have to tweak some elements of the stories, notably the elements that have to do with the kids. I mean, Jon and Robb are supposed to be the oldest main kids and they're like what 15-16 when GoT starts? Plus, take into account Arya, Bran, Sansa, who range in age probably from about 9-13 or so and who are EXTREMELY complicated characters, and you'll have to be careful not to fall into the "shitty-kid-actor" syndrome.

And this isn't even mentioning Dany who not only needs to project a complete maturity by the end of Book 1 (or Season 1 if they break it up like that) but also be believable as a 13 year old girl that actually garners respect and fear... without it coming off as cutsey or unbelievable. Not to mention that this same 13 year old girl was shagging Khal Drogo... yeah they may have to change it up.

I think characters who are in their early teens (Arya's pushing it) might slip by with careful casting.

I always picture Anya as kind of a little spunky cute kid (like the chicks they always get to play Peter Pan), if they cast someone in their later teens that's like this I think initially they could make her believable as 13.

Same with Bran, I think they *might* get by with casting someone who's extremely young looking for his age (but nearly done or nearly done growing). After
he gets crippled
the fact that the actor is never going to grow anymore and become a big healthy robust person shouldn't be a big issue.

As long as the actor don't change too much in size and stature, I think alot of facial changes that come with age will be acceptable consider what they go through.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
As of AGoT:

Robb - 14
Jon- 14
Sansa - 11
Arya - 9
Bran - 7
Rickon - 3

And I reckon about 3 years have passed at the point we're up to (Martin's intentionally screwed up seasons make it difficult to be exact).

The exact age doesn't matter too much for the TV show, they don't even have to mention them, but I don't reckon you can go more than a couple of years older than the numbers above. Arya is still a girl come AFfC, if they start off with an actress of 13 then she's already going to look like a woman by the time the TV show gets to that point.

haldol

Neo Member
LTTP but hell YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ideal situation for fans - spend an entire season per book and have HBO be the backer - couldn't think of a better situation

Gruco

Banned
Yeah, I remember GRRM mentioning that HBO would be the "ideal format" for any ASOIAF production. Never thought it would actually happen though. Defintiely huge for fans of the series and for HBO; it's a great match.

And while I enjoy Malazan and think Midnight Tides might be the best fantasy book I've ever read, I do have to say I enjoy Ice and Fire more :)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
mamacint said:
Same with Bran, I think they *might* get by with casting someone who's extremely young looking for his age (but nearly done or nearly done growing). After
he gets crippled
the fact that the actor is never going to grow anymore and become a big healthy robust person shouldn't be a big issue.

Bran wont be as hard to cast as Arya because he acts more like his age than Arya does. Arya is like a 16 year old stuck in a 10 year olds body. Gonna have to find a special little girl to pull off that role.

Though I think they should bump all the kids ages up a year or two at the start just to make casting a bit easier. Make Robb and Jon 15, Sansa 13, Arya 11, Bran 10, and Rickon...well who gives a shit about Rickon all he has to do is play with Shaggydog.

snaildog

GRRM has actually said that if he could go back and change things he'd make the children a few years older, so it'd be no real problem. Would work better for the sex scenes too...

yeah, I was very disappointed when he didnt go with the time skip in feast of crows because of pressure, pretty irritating decision.

Im adopting a wait and see with this, Ill definitely check it though. To be honest Im obviously anticipating him actually making some progress in the books more though

peace

Someone needs to make a wheel of time series books 7 -10 can fit into 1 EPISODE! :p

Song of fire and ice series honesltly left me a bit cold after the second book. No real chracters for me to get attched to or want to follow really. Granted i have not read the book in a real long time.

Kabuki Waq said:
Someone needs to make a wheel of time series books 7 -10 can fit into 1 EPISODE! :p

Song of fire and ice series honesltly left me a bit cold after the second book. No real chracters for me to get attched to or want to follow really. Granted i have not read the book in a real long time.

honestly they are worth reading, by far the best bits are in the North with John and outside westeros with Danaerys. For those two alone the series is worth reading. The artic north stuff really had me engrossed.

peace

Crow

I feel if this is a success, they should think about doing Wheel of Time. I expect there to be a frothing demand for these type of shows that just aren't being made.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Yes! On-screen braid tugging, skirt-smoothing and frowning FTW!

I'd think that WoT would be much harder to translate into TV considering it's much more of a fantasy setting than asoiaf. And it relies much more on magic.
Otoh they did make Eragon into a shitty movie, and as someone said, books 7-10 could be fit into 1 episode :D

Now if that Chain of Dogs movie could be made I'd be in heaven :)

JayDubya

Banned
The first 3 Wheel of Time books could easily work as a movie trilogy. After that though, it needs a healthy bit of editing as the books get more detailed and lengthy and billow out with more and more supporting characters - too many for a film to follow, or even a TV series, honestly. Making things more difficult would be that whereas Martin is actually going to be involved with his show as a producer and writer, Jordan is on death's door and we'll be lucky if he finishes his last novel.

But yes, I would love to see a Wheel of Time project for either TV or film because it is still my favorite high fantasy series. SoI&F is good though.

Crow

Keen said:

:lol v.true.

Keen said:
I'd think that WoT would be much harder to translate into TV considering it's much more of a fantasy setting than asoiaf. And it relies much more on magic.
Otoh they did make Eragon into a shitty movie, and as someone said, books 7-10 could be fit into 1 episode :D

Well, i'd think that it'll be a mistake for them to try making WoT into a series without testing the water mainly because of the budget it would need. That's why I say that if Song of Ice and Fire does well, they already have a base audience who they could build upon.

JayDubya

Banned
Alas, I moved from Houston immediately before my gaming group started playing this:
1588469425.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1126565962_.jpg

Just to clarify how much I do in fact like the series. :lol Damn expensive book, but it's awesome game design (d20 adaptation) and the art is nothing short of stellar.

I think I was going to play a Maester. :)

JayDubya said:
The first 3 Wheel of Time books could easily work as a movie trilogy. After that though, it needs a healthy bit of editing as the books get more detailed and lengthy and billow out with more and more supporting characters - too many for a film to follow, or even a TV series, honestly. Making things more difficult would be that whereas Martin is actually going to be involved with his show as a producer and writer, Jordan is on death's door and we'll be lucky if he finishes his last novel.

But yes, I would love to see a Wheel of Time project for either TV or film because it is still my favorite high fantasy series. SoI&F is good though.

damn, but I hope he pulls through...the wheel of time was one of the first fantasy epics I got into and I have something of a special affection for it...people said the series would never be completed...and it might not be!

Anyway, I would love for the wheel of time to be made into a show, but it would need a massive budget...though it coul be done. Malazan series doesn't have a chance though, to epic too ambitious for tv

peace

Keen said:

Now if that Chain of Dogs movie could be made I'd be in heaven :)

chain of dogs? Do you mean deadhouse gates?

I think memories of ice would make an insane film/triliogy if it could be done. The siege at the end was beyond incredible, as was the siege at the beginning.

peace

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
nelsonroyale said:
damn, but I hope he pulls through...the wheel of time was one of the first fantasy epics I got into and I have something of a special affection for it...people said the series would never be completed...and it might not be!

Anyway, I would love for the wheel of time to be made into a show, but it would need a massive budget...though it coul be done. Malazan series doesn't have a chance though, to epic too ambitious for tv

peace

The cast alone would runs into the billions :D

There is a script floating around about The Chain of Dogs from Deadhouse Gates that supposedly would be filmed in Australia. Haven't heard any news in a while though so it's probably never going to happen. But it would be awesome, since that one of my (and many others) favorite part of the series. As for the whole series, I agree. But maybe one of the novels. Blood Follows could probably be done, as well as Night of Knives.

And I still can't get over the fact that Goodkind gets a miniseries as well :mad: though I'd love to see how they handle Richard kicking a little girl half to death :D

JayDubya

Banned
Keen said:
And I still can't get over the fact that Goodkind gets a miniseries as well :mad: though I'd love to see how they handle Richard kicking a little girl half to death :D

I personally wonder how HBO is going to handle all the underage sex and violence. Martin's world is like medieval Europe in a lot of ways, including the low life expectancy / young age of marriage.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
JayDubya said:
I personally wonder how HBO is going to handle all the underage sex and violence. Martin's world is like medieval Europe in a lot of ways, including the low life expectancy / young age of marriage.

They're probably going to bump up the kids ages a bit. Don't think Daeny and Khal Drogo or Tyrion showing Sansa the good stuff would go over too well :D

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Keen said:
The cast alone would runs into the billions :D

There is a script floating around about The Chain of Dogs from Deadhouse Gates that supposedly would be filmed in Australia. Haven't heard any news in a while though so it's probably never going to happen. But it would be awesome, since that one of my (and many others) favorite part of the series. As for the whole series, I agree. But maybe one of the novels. Blood Follows could probably be done, as well as Night of Knives.

Last I remember this, it was a good friend of Erikson's who was doing the movie thing, but they couldn't find someone that would let them make it while he and Erikson would still have creative control. They didn't want to just hand it to someone else to make, they wanted to make it.

And then after trying for a while, Erikson changed his mind and decided he no longer liked the idea of making just a chain of dogs movie, but would prefer a miniseries/tv show that simply started from the beginning. That was the last I ever read about it.

slayn said:
Last I remember this, it was a good friend of Erikson's who was doing the movie thing, but they couldn't find someone that would let them make it while he and Erikson would still have creative control. They didn't want to just hand it to someone else to make, they wanted to make it.

And then after trying for a while, Erikson changed his mind and decided he no longer liked the idea of making just a chain of dogs movie, but would prefer a miniseries/tv show that simply started from the beginning. That was the last I ever read about it.

great, I only want the series made if erikson has a firm hand in it....even though I enjoyed the dune mini series, that kind of budget wouldn't work on erikson's book....they would need...they would need to make the series as big budget as the lord of the rings series to do it any justice

peace

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
slayn said:

Ok, that's too bad. Understandable, but bad nonetheless =(
I only read the first and last page of the 48 page thread over at Malazan. So I haven't been keeping up to date.

Blatz

I about squealed when I saw this post. I've told people again and again that HBO should pick this up. HBO does little wrong. All of their series are great. I have faith!!

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
nelsonroyale said:
great, I only want the series made if erikson has a firm hand in it....even though I enjoyed the dune mini series, that kind of budget wouldn't work on erikson's book....they would need...they would need to make the series as big budget as the lord of the rings series to do it any justice

peace

I don't even think LOTR-sized budgets would be enough for a Malazan live-action series; there's just too much crazy magical stuff...a better route would be making it fully-animated.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Sad, but true =(
Although I salivate at the very thought of being thrown into the siege of Pale at the beginning of the movie/tv-series. And then onwards from there.

Aliens ate my babysitter
NICE!! :D

Chairman Yang said:
I don't even think LOTR-sized budgets would be enough for a Malazan live-action series; there's just too much crazy magical stuff...a better route would be making it fully-animated.

yeah my bro and me were talking about this...hehe he initially thought this announcement were for the Malazan books and was very scepticle. Anyway, I agree cgi would suffice, but it would have to be incredibly realistic, maybe like spirits within...damn, it would be amazing though. I would also be intrigued to what some of the creatures look like, because I can never really picture the jaguts appearence etc.

Sorry for the OT

peace

Novid

Banned
NO MATTER how I hate the rest of Time Warner, HBO always gives me hope. God this is such good news. I love the books too... but then Im gonna hear NON stop crap about OMG, they CANT be serious (dealing with Arya was shagging Khal Drogo) on ET and that crap...

syllogism said:
This reminded me to check Martin's Blog and found... this:

Quote:
I do my writing on a completely different computer than the one I use for email and the internet, in part to guard against viruses, worms, and nightmares like this. My work machine does not even use Windows (which I loathe). I write with WordStar 4.0 on a pure DOS-based machine. Mock if you must... but WordStar and DOS are both stable as rocks, and never give me the sort of headaches I get from Windows. (I won't even talk about Microsoft Word, about which I have nothing printable to say).

Couldn't find a verified version 4.0 screenshot but it looks something like this:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5323/wordstarks6.gif

DAMN...thats hard core...I know somebody from Sheridan (the animation school) that used to play with this partiuar program...

Limedust said:
BTW, George R. R. Martin was a writer for the Beauty and the Beast TV series. The one with "Sarah Conner" in it.

I loved that series as kid.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
JayDubya said:

Well they've handled some pretty crazy shit on Rome already so I dont think there is anything in ASOIAF that will scare them too badly.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I realize this isnt exactly the most scientific way to do this but there are 74 chapters in a Game of Thrones count the prologue. That means they'd have to fit about 6 chapters each into each episode without cutting anything too major out.

Phthisis

Brian Fellows said:
I realize this isnt exactly the most scientific way to do this but there are 74 chapters in a Game of Thrones count the prologue. That means they'd have to fit about 6 chapters each into each episode without cutting anything too major out.

That's pretty doable for an hour-long show, I think.

Brian Fellows said:
Well they've handled some pretty crazy shit on Rome already so I dont think there is anything in ASOIAF that will scare them too badly.

How old was Cleopatra when she shagged Ceasar in that episode of Rome?

I think their first encounter can be implied, while perhaps all the rest will occur over a montage of Drogo's people pillaging, with a non-specific time passed to satisfy the censors.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Just posting again to say "holy shit!". I keep imagining scenes from the books filmed "Rome"-style.

I don't know if this is an appropriate bump or not, but there was a brief bit of info about this a few days ago and it didn't make sense to throw this in a new thread. Not a lot of new information here, but it does sound like they're hard at work at the moment.

A few things about the HBO series from an interview with George RR Martin, David Benioff, and D.B. Weiss that took place on Second Life, of all places. I believe the interview was on June 2nd.
George RR Martin: Since January, when I announced the deal with Home Box Office for the television series of A Song of Ice and Fire—A Game of Thrones--I've been getting a lot of questions about it. And I knew I'd get a lot of questions tonight, so I've asked David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who will be the executive producers of the show and the scriptwriters, who will be doing it, to join us here tonight. And you can ask them some of your questions about what will happen with the Home Box Office project. Of course, keep in mind that we're just getting started here, so there's a lot of stuff that we don't know yet. But, David and Dan, can you guys come forward here?

Moderator: Obviously you've been standing in the room and you've been seeing the questions from fans going on all evening. I guess the biggest question and the one that everybody's kind of wanted to know about the series is, how faithful is it going to be to the books and how is it going to cue off what George has already written?

David Benioff: Well, when the books were first sent to me by George's agent, they were sent for me to look at in terms of making as a feature. And I started reading and about, I probably read about 150 pages, and I realized three things I guess. One was that I hadn't been this transported into a fantasy world since I also was in junior high school reading Lord of the Rings. The second thing was that this was, this would not work as a feature because the idea of trying to compress an 800 page book with incredibly detailed subplots into 120 page script, I mean we would have lost so much of what was so wonderful about this book. The third thing was that this was something I wanted to do and I couldn't do it by myself, which was why I sent the book to my friend and colleague, D.B. Weiss.

And you know I got phone calls from people at the studio afterwards saying, "There is a way to make this as a feature. There's a way to do it as a movie. You could just take Jon Snow and Daenerys and just concentrate on them and get rid of some of the minor characters." And it just, it was kind of appalling because, much as I love Jon Snow and Daenerys, I didn't want to lose the other characters. I mean this is an epic and the only way we could conceive of doing it properly was to tell it as a series. And you can't do it as a series where's it interrupted every twenty minutes by a commercial for toothpaste. And you can't do it where I'd have Tyrion saying the things he says and doing the things he says, all of which network TV would have had a huge problem with.

So we really felt from the beginning that the best way to do this was on HBO or possibly Showtime. And then I went online and I saw that all the fans had had this idea years before I had and realized that I was quite late to the game. But luckily George felt the same as we did and the whole reason we're doing this with HBO was because we felt it was really the only way to be faithful to the books and to put the entire series on air, not just highlighting, not just in the Reader's Digest condensed version of it, I should say.

D.B. Weiss: Yeah, it's really our goal just to make it as faithful as possible within the confines of the medium, which are much less on HBO than they are anywhere else.

Moderator: That's allowing you guys a certain amount of freedom in terms of the script and the casting and everything else.

David Benioff: Yeah, absolutely it is. As opposed to having to do 120 page script for A Game of Thrones, for instance, we're going to have now twelve 60 page scripts, so that’s 720 pages to tell the full story and it really allows us to be true to George's world in a way that we never could have otherwise. It's incredibly exciting and, as George said, it's a long process. We're still at the very, very beginning of it, but we can't wait to see the "Winter is Coming" promos on HBO at the end of a, well, I guess there won't be any more Sopranos episodes, but the end of whatever is coming on in a year.

EDIT: Here's the link. Scroll down to post #10 for the relevant info.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Completely appropriate my friend. :D

Sounds like the series is in very good hands.

But now I'm all excited again for something we wont see for like two years at the earliest. :D

WHERE IS ADWD GEORGE!?!?!?!?!?!

I was just telling a friend yesterday how there's been no news on this project.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it's in good hands indeed.

The first time this thread popped up I figured I should read the books. Well, 4 days later I had finished the third and am waiting for the 5th before I tackle the 4th. I just wanted to thank all of you for the recommendation. Awesome shit.

Danielsan

Eric P said:
i found a game of thrones used for $2 so i picked it up but i'm finding it slow going.

does it pick up?
After about 150 pages you should be familiar with the characters and the way the book progresses . After 300 pages you will be hooked and you won't stop untill you've read all four books.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Freest Rolexes said:
The first time this thread popped up I figured I should read the books. Well, 4 days later I had finished the third and am waiting for the 5th before I tackle the 4th. I just wanted to thank all of you for the recommendation. Awesome shit.

Would you be willing to help me with my plan to lock Martin in my basement until he finishes the series or at the very least book 5 which is a year and half late and was already half done when he started it.

Its too bad most of his fans are uber-obsessed nerds otherwise they should shun all his stupid little pizza parties and book reading until he gets some ****ing work done.

npm0925

Isn't it a concern that by 2011 you will have forgotten the content of most of the previous books in the series?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
npm0925 said:
Isn't it a concern that by 2011 you will have forgotten the content of most of the previous books in the series?

Never heard of rereading a book? I read books I've read in the past all the damn time.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Is there any hint at ADWD's release date in that interview? I don't want to read it in case there are spoilers.

There's normally a 6 month lead time on books, so if he doesn't announce it's done real soon, I doubt it'll be this year.

Mama Smurf said:
Is there any hint at ADWD's release date in that interview? I don't want to read it in case there are spoilers.
Nope. He's not saying much about it, other than that he's working hard. I think if it's not done in the next month or so, we won't see it until 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom