• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Blackace said:
I have been saying this the entire time!!!! the whole ****ing time!! Thank you Mr. Yang you rock!
As a non native english speaker (or reader in that case), I totally agree. I read the first 4 books of the Malazan series and just stopped because they were so unnecessarily hard to read. I've read dozens (if not hundreds) of books in English, and these are the very first ones where this happened.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Blimblim said:
As a non native english speaker (or reader in that case), I totally agree. I read the first 4 books of the Malazan series and just stopped because they were so unnecessarily hard to read. I've read dozens (if not hundreds) of books in English, and these are the very first ones where this happened.

The guy wanted to make a pen and paper RPG and it turned into a novel. Great ideas... just not a very sound writer.. and the characters suck imo.. but the last part I can agree to disagree upon

RerunD

Chairman Yang said:
I really like the Malazan books, but I'm baffled as to why anyone would consider Erikson a good writer, let alone one better than Martin. Erikson has his moments of greatness, and definitely improves with later books, but in general his writing style is incredibly bloated, unnecessarily obfuscatory, repetitive, and sometimes just plain boring.

disagree completely.

I enjoy his writing style more than I do Martin's. To me it doesnt seem bloated or hard to read at all, or boring for that matter.

Seriously, I'm still on the first Malazan book, trying to slog through the first hundred pages or so. I just can't really bring myself to come back and complete it. I don't know whether its the writing style, the lack of motivation for continued reading, the characters, or whatever else, but yeah, whenever I open up that book I'm bored to tears... I mean, I'd rather go read something like a play by Shakespeare or damn it, ****ing Pinter than go through it. I know it's supposed to get better as you go along, but very few books tend to bore me to tears at the start and win me over with its body. Here's hoping.

Triumph

Banned
The first Malazan book, Gardens of the Moon, was VERY hard to get into. It wasn't until about 300 pages or so into it that it started clicking for me. Erickson does a very poor job explaining things. What's a warren? What are the differences between them? Who the hell is this new character?

Looking back on it, especially having reread the first book in the past few months, I think he did these things purposely. I'm not sure why, but it certainly doesn't reward new readers.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Btw what's up
with that red comet thing in book 2, they made kind of a big deal out of it like half the book and then it doesn't get mentioned anymore. And I am now 100 pages in book 3 and still nothing about the comet

Limedust

Triumph said:
The first Malazan book, Gardens of the Moon, was VERY hard to get into. It wasn't until about 300 pages or so into it that it started clicking for me. Erickson does a very poor job explaining things. What's a warren? What are the differences between them? Who the hell is this new character?

Looking back on it, especially having reread the first book in the past few months, I think he did these things purposely. I'm not sure why, but it certainly doesn't reward new readers.

I believe this was done on purpose. He picks out a spot in history and begins his tale right there. Martin did the same thing, though to a much lesser extent.

RamzaIsCool said:
Btw what's up
with that red comet thing in book 2, they made kind of a big deal out of it like half the book and then it doesn't get mentioned anymore. And I am now 100 pages in book 3 and still nothing about the comet
I think it went away near the end of the second book, it was interesseting to see how every character saw it as a diferent omen.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Triumph said:
I had a hard time believing that Martin
killed off Robb
as I was reading it, but Jaime's transformation as a character is directly related to the event you talked about. It's not like he did it for no good reason.
ah fuck... serves me right for highlighting a spoiler. normally they're not really a spoiler! :(

RerunD

Tim the Wiz said:
Seriously, I'm still on the first Malazan book, trying to slog through the first hundred pages or so. I just can't really bring myself to come back and complete it. I don't know whether its the writing style, the lack of motivation for continued reading, the characters, or whatever else, but yeah, whenever I open up that book I'm bored to tears... I mean, I'd rather go read something like a play by Shakespeare or damn it, ****ing Pinter than go through it. I know it's supposed to get better as you go along, but very few books tend to bore me to tears at the start and win me over with its body. Here's hoping.

You know, I had the same exact problem. It didnt click until much later in the book, and from that point on it became my favorite series. At first I wasnt that happy or excited about the book, and it was kind of confusing and even a chore to read through. If you stick with it, trust me, you will be very well rewarded.

Gardens of the Moon was initially off putting, but as someone else said, he starts at a moment in history and just goes from there. While it was confusing, I absolutely love the fact nothing is explained right away. It makes the books way more interesting, and when you do finally have the explanation, it's always really rewarding.

Martin is great with characterization, but I wouldn't say he's a great writer. Having just read through the first four ASOFI novels for the second time, I noticed there are a lot anachronisms in his dialouge There was a point in one of the books where one of the characters used the word "butt" in a really modern way and it just sounded dumb. I don't expect everyone in the book to sound like they walked out of Canterbury Tales, but sometimes it sounds like fan fiction.

Gattsu25

Banned
Jugendstil said:
Gardens of the Moon was initially off putting, but as someone else said, he starts at a moment in history and just goes from there. While it was confusing, I absolutely love the fact nothing is explained right away. It makes the books way more interesting, and when you do finally have the explanation, it's always really rewarding.
My problem with it was it was too unbelievable. I only read a fraction of the first book before I gave up...each of the characters were basically uber wizards that could fling around a continent for fun and die 3 or 4 times each...it was just too much..it reminded me of Dungeons and Dragons on steroids...as if each character began the 'game' as level 50 wizards. SoIaF's magical build up is a REALLY slow burn, but to compare that and Malazan, ASOIAF is more suited to what I'm looking for in fantasy.

Gattsu25 said:
My problem with it was it was too unbelievable. I only read a fraction of the first book before I gave up...each of the characters were basically uber wizards that could fling around a continent for fun and die 3 or 4 times each...it was just too much..it reminded me of Dungeons and Dragons on steroids...as if each character began the 'game' as level 50 wizards. SoIaF's magical build up is a REALLY slow burn, but to compare that and Malazan, ASOIAF is more suited to what I'm looking for in fantasy.

I don't know, I guess I am willing to be more open minded towards heavy magic use because I feel like the majority of current fantasy novels have the same concept that "magic has gone out of the world except somehow the main character(s) will be involved in its return." It's really refreshing to read a series that involves powerful characters from the get go. I love the fact that even gods are involved in the plot, and they are as expendable as any of the others. Aside from that, it's a fantasy novel. One of the reasons I personally enjoy the genre is that it isn't realistic. It's not like it turns into a Dragon Ball Z episode or anything.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Jugendstil said:
I don't know, I guess I am willing to be more open minded towards heavy magic use because I feel like the majority of current fantasy novels have the same concept that "magic has gone out of the world except somehow the main character(s) will be involved in its return." It's really refreshing to read a series that involves powerful characters from the get go. I love the fact that even gods are involved in the plot, and they are as expendable as any of the others. Aside from that, it's a fantasy novel. One of the reasons I personally enjoy the genre is that it isn't realistic. It's not like it turns into a Dragon Ball Z episode or anything.

Yeah I'm pretty sick of the martin-esque - oh look at this rare and special magic. In that respect, I much prefer the way it was with WoT. Prince of Nothing does this very well as well.

The only book in which there has been rare magic but I feel got it right is Elric. Then again, everything about Elric was perfect so what else can be said.

Everyone in this thread needs to read Prince of Nothing though. Especially those who didn't like Martin.

I love most epic fantasy work but the Malazan books read like well done D&D fiction. Everyone is insanely over-powered and often have shallow motivations. Plus Erikson tends throw out really interesting ideas or glmpses and never follow up on them. What was that giant green space thingy from Book 3 (or was it 4)?

*** Wait Gattzu's post which says the exact same thing wasn't there a second ago. Whoops.

Blackace

Gattsu25 said:

I was saying this too and people were not believing I was saying it!

Again it is D&D..it was a RPG first, book second. and the first book was crap, 2nd book flowed much better. But his style isn't very good. His world is very rich and deep. I assume that is because he spent so much time creating the world for his RPG. But his style is very stiff and his characters are very shallow! Just my opinion. Of course on this board I lose all creditability because I still like Robert Jordan's series. :lol But I still think both (early) Jordan and Martin are just better story tellers..

QVT

Blackace said:
I was saying this too and people were not believing I was saying it!

Again it is D&D..it was a RPG first, book second. and the first book was crap, 2nd book flowed much better. But his style isn't very good. His world is very rich and deep. I assume that is because he spent so much time creating the world for his RPG. But his style is very stiff and his characters are very shallow! Just my opinion. Of course on this board I lose all creditability because I still like Robert Jordan's series. :lol But I still think both (early) Jordan and Martin are just better story tellers..

No, remember that early Jordan was good, and book ten was indefensible.

I'll suggest to you as well, go out and pick up Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker. Haven't read Erikson yet but I guess I will have to soon.

Blackace

QVT said:
No, remember that early Jordan was good, and book ten was indefensible.

I'll suggest to you as well, go out and pick up Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker. Haven't read Erikson yet but I guess I will have to soon.

Read book one and enjoyed it.. felt floaty to me at times, but damn were his ideas and concepts just awesome!

Book 10 did suck but the rest were all pretty good. Knife of Dreams was good.

1 - 8 were fantasy heaven for me 9 was pretty weak and 10 was like wtf..but 11 mad a strong showing.. and can't wait for 12!

QVT

Blackace said:
Read book one and enjoyed it.. felt floaty to me at times, but damn were his ideas and concepts just awesome!

Book 10 did suck but the rest were all pretty good. Knife of Dreams was good.

1 - 8 were fantasy heaven for me 9 was pretty weak and 10 was like wtf..but 11 mad a strong showing.. and can't wait for 12!

The books really get solid after one, and are certainly worth reading

I like most feel that WoT bombed after 6, with 10 being rock bottom. Hopefully 12 turns out well, as I'd like to see it end well.

Sword of truth 11 is coming out near that time as well. Crazy.

Blackace

QVT said:
The books really get solid after one, and are certainly worth reading

I like most feel that WoT bombed after 6, with 10 being rock bottom. Hopefully 12 turns out well, as I'd like to see it end well.

Sword of truth 11 is coming out near that time as well. Crazy.

sword od truth is crap.. (still read them.. haha)

WoT: I really liked 6 and 7.. with maybe 5 being my favorite in the series... due to the fact that it feels like the glue of the entire series... the first 4 were just like an adventurers dream!

Yeah I just polished off Robin Hobb's Assassin series.. taking a short fantasy novel break.. and going to get the rest of prince of nothing!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
On topic:
I remember the first time Martin killed a major character. At first I was like, OH SHIT. You know, like that kid in The Neverending Story ? I jumped up, threw the book down, and ran out of the room. Then, peering back into the room, saw that I had an awesome book to finish. And it was awesome.

=============

Off topic:
If we're doing recommendations, I would strongly suggest Tad Williams' Otherland to any single person that has ever played videogame, played on the internet, or better yet--both at the same time. Awesome, awesome series.

My list:
1. David Eddings - Belgariad/Mallorean - favorite series ever. Deep, dark, humorous, and actually FUN to read.

2. GRRM - ASoIaF -- I hope he finishes this up.

3. Tad Williams - Otherland -- see above

4. Robert Jordan - WoT -- Really great, up through Crown of Swords. Progressively worse and formulaic since then.

5. Terry Goodkind - SoT -- A fun read, sometimes bordering on romance. Anybody that got as far as that crazy chicken with the wild eyes knows what I'm talking about. Good series but at some point it's like, "jesus, are you just throwing obstacles in their path to make this shit last longer?"

5. Phillip Pullman -- His Dark Materials (Golden Compass/Subtle Knife/Amber Spyglass) -- DO NOT OVERLOOK THESE because they're aimed at teens. Very good.

6. Harry Potter -- 'nuff said.

Blackace said:
Yeah I just polished off Robin Hobb's Assassin series.. taking a short fantasy novel break.. and going to get the rest of prince of nothing!

If you liked the Assassin series, you'll love the Tawny Man trilogy. (or perhaps, vice versa?) A more mature Fitz taking care of business years on down the track, you know you want it.

QVT

PantherLotus said:
Off topic:
If we're doing recommendations, I would strongly suggest Tad Williams' Otherland to any single person that has ever played videogame, played on the internet, or better yet--both at the same time. Awesome, awesome series.

My list:
1. David Eddings - Belgariad/Mallorean - favorite series ever. Deep, dark, humorous, and actually FUN to read.

2. GRRM - ASoIaF -- I hope he finishes this up.

3. Tad Williams - Otherland -- see above

4. Robert Jordan - WoT -- Really great, up through Crown of Swords. Progressively worse and formulaic since then.

5. Terry Goodkind - SoT -- A fun read, sometimes bordering on romance. Anybody that got as far as that crazy chicken with the wild eyes knows what I'm talking about. Good series but at some point it's like, "jesus, are you just throwing obstacles in their path to make this shit last longer?"

5. Phillip Pullman -- His Dark Materials (Golden Compass/Subtle Knife/Amber Spyglass) -- DO NOT OVERLOOK THESE because they're aimed at teens. Very good.

6. Harry Potter -- 'nuff said.

Everything Tad Williams I have hated. I tried reading both otherland and memory sorrow and thorn and blah urgh argh. Christian allegories just pain me in the hearts.

Eddings is a bit childlike although if you read it when you were younger then that is excusable. I like how you put the slash between them, as they're the exact same plot, characters, and books, but under different titles. They even resolve themselves in the exact same way, although how you can call those dark and not make piddle at GRRMurder afterwards, I dunno.

I've said enough about GRRMurder in the past.

WoT and SoT we've been over, first book of SoT was good as well as book 6 and 10. Hopefully 11 is solid as well.

Haven't read pullman, as they're aimed at teens.

My recommendations:
Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker - Fantasy + philosophy, and while some of it is questionable, for a debut series it is rather excellent. I just wish there was more good philosophy and less of the bad stuff.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - not so much epic fantasy, but probably the best single fantasy book I've ever read anyways. Sheer brilliance.

ANYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR NERDY LITTLE HANDS ON by Gene Wolfe - Language reminiscent of only the master(nabokov) and the stories and characters are all awesome and dream-like.

Those are the only 3 authors/series I'm willing to stand behind, as SoT's first and 6th books were already mentioned.

Blackace

I am dying a Jordan fan for better or for worse!

back on topic, Martin is pretty the best read I have had in the fantasy field. Jordan opened the door truly for me from when I was 14 or so and Martin has grabbed my mind like no other since Jordan... takes a great writer to make a series as long as these and still be fresh while connecting everything like one super long book...

I've re-read the the four books over the last week and I've come to the conclusion that there is no way that the HBO series isn't going to be an epic disgrace. I mean... it could be good entertainment if you haven't actually read the books, but if they try to cram each book into 12 one hour episodes... LOL. And when you start thinking about budgetary concerns...

Yea... I'm just preparing to be massively let down.

Munin

I'm not sure if it was mentioned already somewhere, but the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb is pretty great. GRRM is apparently a fan of her work. It shows, I think.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
My Arms Your Hearse said:
I've re-read the the four books over the last week and I've come to the conclusion that there is no way that the HBO series isn't going to be an epic disgrace. I mean... it could be good entertainment if you haven't actually read the books, but if they try to cram each book into 12 one hour episodes... LOL. And when you start thinking about budgetary concerns...

Yea... I'm just preparing to be massively let down.

Yeah, I can understand why you'd feel that way, but I'm very optimistic for two reasons:

1. HBO is amazing. They'll get the look, the feel, the casting, and the writing done right. Check out the amazing "Rome" if you don't believe me.
2. George R. R. Martin himself will be heavily involved with the series (even writing the first episodes of each season).
3. ASOIAF lends itself to a serial TV format pretty well. GRRM was actually a TV writer for a long time, and admits that his writing style has been heavily influenced by that.

nitewulf

problem is, HBO will also kill it quick if it doesnt get the ratings or is too expensive to produce (which it should be!), just like rome!

Blackace

Chairman Yang said:
Yeah, I can understand why you'd feel that way, but I'm very optimistic for two reasons:

1. HBO is amazing. They'll get the look, the feel, the casting, and the writing done right. Check out the amazing "Rome" if you don't believe me.
2. George R. R. Martin himself will be heavily involved with the series (even writing the first episodes of each season).
3. ASOIAF lends itself to a serial TV format pretty well. GRRM was actually a TV writer for a long time, and admits that his writing style has been heavily influenced by that.

One thing that has me real excited about point number 2. Outside of the writer having a lot of control of his vision; Martin has roots in screenwriting, so this isn't a first time thing for him. Now he is bringing his baby to life.. should be good

Decado

I'm a little concerned about the TV series because there are so many children in the books. I was getting a little tired of it in the novels, but on screen it could be even worse.

BTW, is there a projected date to the start of the first season? Off topic: Any news on a Preacher start date?

I'd like to recommend a few new(ish) authors:

Scott Lynch - The Lies of Lock Lamora was a great debut.
Joe Abercrombie - The Blade Itself and Before They Are Hanged - possibly my favorite author outside of Martin and Erikson now.

Therion

QVT said:
My recommendations:
Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker - Fantasy + philosophy, and while some of it is questionable, for a debut series it is rather excellent. I just wish there was more good philosophy and less of the bad stuff.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - not so much epic fantasy, but probably the best single fantasy book I've ever read anyways. Sheer brilliance.

ANYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR NERDY LITTLE HANDS ON by Gene Wolfe - Language reminiscent of only the master(nabokov) and the stories and characters are all awesome and dream-like.

Those are the only 3 authors/series I'm willing to stand behind, as SoT's first and 6th books were already mentioned.

Haven't read Bakker, but I wholeheartedly agree with your other two recommendations. I just wish more of Wolfe's stuff was in print. My third choice would probably be John Crowley.

I also enjoy GRRM though.

QVT

Therion said:
Haven't read Bakker, but I wholeheartedly agree with your other two recommendations. I just wish more of Wolfe's stuff was in print. My third choice would probably be John Crowley.

What of Wolfes is out of print, other than the short story collections? One of the sun series(short, presumably?)

And like I said, Bakker takes some of Wolfe's wordplay and style and translates it into epic fantasy instead of dreamworlds. I'll look up John Crowley.

Therion said:

The Prince of Nothing is extremely well written but I get kind of tired of the free-will stuff. Also it kinda seems the big plot twist that the first 3 books was building to doesn't make a ton of sense. So I'm really looking forward to #4 to see if he can pull it off.

Fuzzery

So what are all your favorite characters from the series?

Mmm mine are probably Tyrion and Arya. Tyrion better be casted damn well =X.

Oh by the way, I don't think that their years = our years. It seems like one of their years is a deal longer than ours.

Triumph

Banned
Fuzzery said:
So what are all your favorite characters from the series?

Mmm mine are probably Tyrion and Arya. Tyrion better be casted damn well =X.
Probably Jon Snow, Jaime and Tyrion. Least favorites would be Brienne, Sansa and Cersei. Actually, now that I think about it I've only really enjoyed like maybe one female character in the series (Dany).

nitewulf

arya is female as well though, and i love dany. but feast for crows...jeeze, captain of the guards??? for shame martin, for shame.

Triumph

Banned
nitewulf said:
arya is female as well though, and i love dany. but feast for crows...jeeze, captain of the guards??? for shame martin, for shame.
Har har har, yeah...

I can go either way with Arya... I liked her stuff up until AFfC but found her chapters there pretty uninspired.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It boggles my mind how anyone could dislike Cersei's chapters. Seeing her dig her own grave one hatefull paranoid blunder at a time was a thing of beauty. It was refreshing to have a character actually be what they seem for once.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
He's got the right demeanor but he's a bit too old. Ned is supposed to be in his early 30's. Hurt will be almost 60 by the time this thing gets started.

Brian Fellows said:
He's got the right demeanor but he's a bit too old. Ned is supposed to be in his early 30's. Hurt will be almost 60 by the time this thing gets started.

I actually wonder if they'll take liberties with the ages. I'm sure they'll hire older actors for the kids (isn't Robb 15 in Game of Thrones?) and they can't exactly show a 13 or so year old Dany and Khal Drogo making babies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I dunno man Kristen Bell played a pretty young hooker on Deadwood. Granted her character ended up being older than she pretended to be and never actually had sex though. But she did get beaten to death. :lol

Cleopatra was also supposed to be pretty young in Rome when Pullo tapped it.

As long as they get someone over 18 who looks young I dont think they'd be too opposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom