• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manics

Banned

I'm 3/4 of the way through Storm of Swords and I can't believe what i'm reading.

I never expected Robb and everyone around him to get slaughtered like they did. I was flipping out as I read it, I had to go back and re-read what I just read.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Manics said:

I'm 3/4 of the way through Storm of Swords and I can't believe what i'm reading.

I never expected Robb and everyone around him to get slaughtered like they did. I was flipping out as I read it, I had to go back and re-read what I just read.

Probably the first time a book ever made me say holy shit!

Clipjoint

Everytime this thread gets an update, I figure there was either some news about the show, or someone just finished reading
The Red Wedding

Frog

Prime crotch said:
****! Another bump with no info about the show.
am cry

Seriously, bump a different Ice and Fire thread if you're just going to talk about the books. I die a little every time this thread is bumped without info on the HBO series.

Elhandro

Prime crotch said:
I think it went away near the end of the second book, it was interesseting to see how every character saw it as a diferent omen.

If I remember correctly, this is the point in the story where magic makes its return into the world. This was the sign to everyone, that their world was on a path of destruction and chaos.

From here on the books take a more fantasy stance, you could argue that the world martin paints before this point is very realistic and ish gets out of hand after.

Next.....Book 4 hurt my feelings. With a name like Feast for Crows, and yet all he did was tease on the major plot points and introduce tangient characters. How do you end a book like a Sword of Storms with a tragic ending and come back like nothing ever happend. Drove me crazy....Love the stories though.

Waits in vain for the next book.....

El

Elhandro said:
If I remember correctly, this is the point in the story where magic makes its return into the world. This was the sign to everyone, that their world was on a path of destruction and chaos.

From here on the books take a more fantasy stance, you could argue that the world martin paints before this point is very realistic and ish gets out of hand after.

Next.....Book 4 hurt my feelings. With a name like Feast for Crows, and yet all he did was tease on the major plot points and introduce tangient characters. How do you end a book like a Sword of Storms with a tragic ending and come back like nothing ever happend. Drove me crazy....Love the stories though.

Waits in vain for the next book.....

El
I think book 4 works like the second did, antecipation for the next book which will blow people away. I wouldn't mind if he actually released the next one anytime soon.

Just a small update here. Sorry to bump without anything major, but at least it's something. The interview was from early August, but I didn't see it on this thread. Sounds like the first draft of the script is finished and with HBO at the moment. There is some other stuff regarding graphic novels in the interview, but no news regarding ADwD.

From a Publisher's Weekly interview:
Part 1
Part 2

Publisher's Weekly said:
PWCW: Speaking of Hollywood, how is the Song of Ice and Fire HBO show progressing?

GRRM: The writers on that have just completed the first draft of the script, so we’re waiting to hear what HBO thinks of it. It’s very early in the process, so there’s no telling. There’ll be rewrites, and there’ll be changes. It may not get the green light and actually be filmed. All of that is part of the process of developing something for television, which is slow, but we’re at the beginning of the road in any case.

Once again, you get a little nervous that it doesn’t get messed up. Television has a checkered record. Something like the Dune miniseries that was on the Sci-Fi Channel was a wonderful adaptation. They really did a beautiful, beautiful job with Dune.

But then again, the same people did Ursula Le Guin’s Earthsea, and it was terrible. Ursula had to write letters disowning it—they just messed it up totally. They changed things, moved things around and made it really dumb. So you never know what’s going to come out. But if something of the quality level of the Dune adaptation comes out, that would be wonderful.

And once again, as with comics, I’ve got great people involved. The screenwriters are David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, and I’ve had several meetings with them. They really know the books, they love the books, they’re determined to do a faithful adaptation, and they’re both terrific writers in their own right. Both of them are also novelists and short story writers, so I’ve sampled some of their own prose work, which was first-rate. So I think I’m in good hands.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
If this does get made, I assume we're looking at 2009?

I'm not accepting any cop outs about adapting it from book to screen with this one btw. I get it with films, they're much shorter, it's almost impossible to be 100% faithful there (though sometimes they still go too far with changes, like making the character do the exact opposite of what he did in the book), but if we're getting 13 episodes a book, they should be able to keep everything in there.

Obviously I don't mean they should do every last scene, but they certainly shouldn't be dropping any of the storylines. I still want to know how they're going to handle the Dany stuff though, I'm not sure how audiences will respond to one storyline being largely disconnected from the others for 4 or maybe more seasons.

They don't even got a pilot script?! arghhh between this and the next book this series is like a huge cocktease
At least Martin has some background on movies and he's working on the series.
Mama Smurf said:
Obviously I don't mean they should do every last scene, but they certainly shouldn't be dropping any of the storylines. I still want to know how they're going to handle the Dany stuff though, I'm not sure how audiences will respond to one storyline being largely disconnected from the others for 4 or maybe more seasons.
I think they'll be more worried with all the explicit sex in it specially with Danny being like what 13?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
And once again, as with comics, I’ve got great people involved. The screenwriters are David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, and I’ve had several meetings with them. They really know the books, they love the books, they’re determined to do a faithful adaptation, and they’re both terrific writers in their own right. Both of them are also novelists and short story writers, so I’ve sampled some of their own prose work, which was first-rate. So I think I’m in good hands.

It trust the writers just fine. Its network people who worry me. But atleast its HBO. I trust them as much as I could any network.

A brief update from a fansite. Note that this isn't from Martin directly, and it also contains a fair amount of speculation. Also, there are a few links to other articles in the original link, including the explanation of the "King Arthur" proposal over at HBO. Not a lot in here, but figured people would want to see.

Westeros.org said:
November 13, 2007
HBO’s Song of Ice and Fire and the Writer’s Strike

As many are aware, the Writer’s Guild of America has begun a strike over various issues. What this means for the entertainment industry in the States is that the writers will not work on anything at all until the issues are resolved. Shows that have episodes filmed will likely have them shown, but their seasons will likely come to a close early in most cases. The question that has recently come up in several places is what the strike means for the option held by HBO for producing a show based on the series.

At the recent World Fantasy Con (just before the strike), GRRM revealed that HBO also had a proposal for a project based on the legends of King Arthur. Because of some similar terrain covered by both concepts (medieval fantasy), GRRM indicated that if HBO went forward with a project in this genre, it would only choose one of them rather than both. Since then, a very well-placed source has provided more information on this and various other matters related to the series.

Because of the strike, active development and preparation to shoot a pilot for the show simply is not possible. That said, it may be that some small anticipatory work might be carried out by the studio to view the feasibility of the project. For example, HBO may work to nail down where the best location for filming might be found.. The fact that HBO has a complete pilot script, plus at least a partial breakdown for a part of whole of the first season, means that they might be able to do this in a way that could feasibly make an A Song of Ice and Fire pilot closer to being ready to shoot when the strike is eventually resolved. Notably, the "King Arthur" proposal in to HBO appears to be in the very early stages, with no script in, so if the studio is interested in producing a medieval fantasy show and it wants to do so as soon as possible following the strike, A Song of Ice and Fire would appear to have a leg up.

Regarding the reception of the script at HBO, it has been said by the same source that the response has been very positive. This does NOT mean that HBO has suddenly decided to go with it. It merely means that they are liking what they’re seeing so far and that they’re willing to explore some of the details that can be explored at this early stage. Any number of things could lead HBO to choose not to continue the option. But currently, they still have it on the table, and appear to be giving it as much serious consideration as the strike allows. The option, in any case, will last a number of months more (and can be extended as necessary, if HBO really wants) and during that time it will remain on the table as a possible show to develop and produce.

Because of the strike, learning anything more while it is ungoing is unlikely.

Flynn

Thanks for posting something newsworthy. Bumps in this thread toy with my emotions and this is heartening info.

FnordChan

Thanks for the HBO update. Pity to hear they've got a King Arthur proposal on their desk - which, let's face it, has a lot more name recognition than ASoIaF - but it does sound like our boys have a leg up on scripting and such. Fingers are crossed.

Oh, and for the Martin news update, here's a tidbit from Not A Blog:

DANCE WITH DRAGONS? Yes, working on that too. Lately it's been Tyrion and more Tyrion. When I finish these three chapters, I will need to double back and pick up some of the other POVs lest my devious dwarf get too far ahead.

Go, Tyrion, go!

FnordChan

Good, good hope HBO goes ahead with it. A Rome like show on ASoIF would be amazing, I just wish he would release the damn book already.

Triumph

Banned
FnordChan said:
Thanks for the HBO update. Pity to hear they've got a King Arthur proposal on their desk - which, let's face it, has a lot more name recognition than ASoIaF - but it does sound like our boys have a leg up on scripting and such. Fingers are crossed.

Oh, and for the Martin news update, here's a tidbit from Not A Blog:

Go, Tyrion, go!

FnordChan
WHY THE FUCK IS HE NOT DONE WITH THE GODDAMN BOOK??!? INEXCUSABLE! DID ROBERT JORDAN TEACH YOU NOTHING, MAN?

New interview with Martin from Entertainment Weekly. It includes one question regarding the HBO series. Note that there are some spoilers for books 1-4 at least alluded to in this interview, so read the link at your own risk. The questions are pretty brutal in some spots, so it's an amusing read overall. Again, no earth shattering new developments here, but I've been trying to keep everyone up to date with news on the project even if it's little tidbits.

The HBO bit:
EW Interview said:
What's going on with HBO turning Song of Ice and Fire into a TV series? —NYC Fan

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN:
Well, the script has been written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, and it was submitted a few months ago. HBO liked it, I've been told, and they're doing a budget on it now, but they still haven't given it a green light. Of course, the writers strike has hit now, so there's no telling what's happening in Hollywood. But HBO is what I've wanted for this from the beginning. The book series will be about 10,000 manuscript pages when it's all done, so the story's just too big for even a series of movies. And there's a lot of sex and violence, which is one reason I couldn't look too seriously at the broadcast networks. HBO can do it the way it would have to be done. I've got my fingers crossed. It's all in HBO's hands now.

And for Triumph:
EW Interview said:
How did Wheel of Time author Robert Jordan's recent death affect your personal and professional priorities? —Johnny Tex

I can't say it changed anything, but it saddened me immensely. I knew Jim — Jim Rigney was his real name — and he was a very kind and generous man. He gave me a blurb when my series was starting out, an endorsement for the cover that got me a lot of readers. And his own work really made my series possible. Jordan essentially broke the trilogy template that Tolkien helped set up. He showed us how to do a book that's bigger than a trilogy. I don't think my series would've been possible without The Wheel of Time being as successful as it was. I've always wanted to sprawl, and Jordan, to a great extent, made that possible with his series.

Today I've found the first book of the series tranlated to my native language,. Translated as As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo (The Blood and Ice Chronicles). I think I'll buy it because it's better looking a bigger and better edition and I love my native language although I might be biased on that end.
72gzyio.jpg

I think one of the big reasons behind this edition is because of the new of an HBO show, which if it picks up when it gets released they'll probably have a lot more volumes translated.

A little bit of news on the HBO front.
George RR Martin's Blog about pizza parties and NY football said:
I have some exciting news to share.

(But please, guys and gals, don't get TOO excited. This is what it is, and so far that's all it is, so don't make any assumptions).

HBO has just exercised its option, and purchased the television rights to A GAME OF THRONES.

For those of you who don't know Hollywood, an option gives a production company the right to buy a property (a book, a screenplay, whatever) at a certain agreed-upon price for a certain period of time (a year, six months, whatever). When that time runs out, they can let the option lapse, renew the option, or exercise the option and buy the property. The last is what HBO has just done.

What they have NOT done is greenlight the project. A GAME OF THRONES remains in development. They're still budgeting, still looking at locations (Spain and the Czech Republic at present, I hear). No decision has been reached, so any celebration would be premature. In Hollywood it is always best not to assume something is going to happen until it actually happens.

Even so... this is a very encouraging sign, and one that suggests a continued high level of enthusiasm and commitment for A GAME OF THRONES at HBO.

So keep your fingers crossed.
Nothing earth shattering, but it's a promising sign.

newsguy

How is this series still not greenlit? I'm on A Storm of Swords right now and with a good budget and HBO's track record, this series could be the next huge hit. It's got the soap opera for the girls, it's got the war for the guys, and even a bit of magic for the Harry Potter nerds. BRING THIS THE FUCK ON ALREADY!

methodman

Banned
I read that on GRRM's blog and I forgot to post it here. I remember when I posted an update about A Dance with Dragons in one of the threads, people got pissed at me cuz it was GRRM just saying he's not done yet :lol

Flynn

newsguy said:
How is this series still not greenlit? I'm on A Storm of Swords right now and with a good budget and HBO's track record, this series could be the next huge hit. It's got the soap opera for the girls, it's got the war for the guys, and even a bit of magic for the Harry Potter nerds. BRING THIS THE FUCK ON ALREADY!

It's gonna be expensive. But this option is a good sign. Just pray that all their new shows flop.

methodman said:
I read that on GRRM's blog and I forgot to post it here. I remember when I posted an update about A Dance with Dragons in one of the threads, people got pissed at me cuz it was GRRM just saying he's not done yet :lol
I think at this point anyone who bumps a GRRM thread without either a firm release date on ADwD or news of the series being greenlit is going to get some flack.

nitewulf

the problem is, the series is so epic...it must be so expensive. how does HBO make any money back on these shows anyway? they dont show commercials.

newsguy

nitewulf said:
the problem is, the series is so epic...it must be so expensive. how does HBO make any money back on these shows anyway? they dont show commercials.

I pay $15 extra dollars a month for my HBO subscription, how about you?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Cornballer said:
:lol I figured there would be tears and furious anger. Oh well. *shrugs*
I am desperate enough that the small scrap you posted felt substantial to me.

Also, part of me believes that George R. R. Martin has lost interest in writing ASOIAF and that he's going to keep eating pizza, watching football, and reading the increasingly frequent angry comments on his blog. He will continue to come closer to finishing ADWD asymptotically, never finishing it, until he either abandons the whole series outright or simply dies.

newsguy

Chairman Yang said:
Also, part of me believes that George R. R. Martin has lost interest in writing ASOIAF and that he's going to keep eating pizza, watching football, and reading the increasingly frequent angry comments on his blog. He will continue to come closer to finishing ADWD asymptotically, never finishing it, until he either abandons the whole series outright or simply dies.

I am new to the series and I know nothing about Martin's personal life. This quote, combined with your tag scares the shit out of me :( I'm investing time and emotion into some of these characters god dammit!

nitewulf

newsguy said:
I pay $15 extra dollars a month for my HBO subscription, how about you?
i pay that, but there are other channels that come along...i dont pay it just for HBO. i still have to wonder at times how they may make money off of something like ASoI&F, if they do it properly.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Dark FaZe said:
Would HBO even be able to air things like underage sex, incest, and etc?

Eh, there are ways to handle this, both by simply cutting it completely (kinda unlikely), using young-looking adult actors (somewhat more likely) or just not showing shit explicitly (most likely, IMO)

While the books can describe Tyrion's erect cock as a bulbous, purple, triumphant veiny bastard, it doesn't mean we have to get a closeup in HD in the show...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Dark FaZe said:
Would HBO even be able to air things like underage sex, incest, and etc?
It should be noted that HBO can air whatever the fuck it wants since it is a pay channel.

Dan said:
It should be noted that HBO can air whatever the fuck it wants since it is a pay channel.

prrrrrrrobably not the underage sex. i mean, there were like 12 year olds... or maybe they were 14... but still, it was really shocking in a fantasy book of all places.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It should be noted that I was referring to the underage sex part, not the rest. Of course HBO can show as much sex and violence as it wants, but it's still cannot use child actors for sex, thank god.

They'll find a good way to get around it. HBO delivers more often than not.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
buhmachine said:
prrrrrrrobably not the underage sex. i mean, there were like 12 year olds... or maybe they were 14... but still, it was really shocking in a fantasy book of all places.

They showed underaged sex in Rome. Or at least, alluded to it.

reilo said:
They showed underaged sex in Rome. Or at least, alluded to it.

how underaged? i endured through a few episodes of that, and i know there was a 16 year old (at least the character was 16) but that's not so bad. pretty good actually

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Thaedolus said:
It should be noted that I was referring to the underage sex part, not the rest. Of course HBO can show as much sex and violence as it wants, but it's still cannot use child actors for sex, thank god.

So they find an 18 year old that looks 15.

Flynn

Thaedolus said:

There is a difference between child porn and depicting underage sex. How would they ever make a movie about teen pregnancy? Or Lolita? Or even movies about the bible? How old was Juno supposed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom