• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR makes me sleepy

I'm one of those people that sneezes, yawns and falls asleep when the sun is really bright. I'm getting the same effect when viewing some HDR games. I don't want to turn it off it looks so cool, but I struggle to play for more than 1 hour at a time. My eyes begin to close.

Why is everything in this world against me. What have I done to deserve this.

I sneeze if I look toward the sun, I don't yawn or get tired though. HDR has no effect on me.

Last edited:
ezOaNvA.gif

Justin9mm

I find hdr really dim
That is because you are either viewing something that is not displaying HDR correctly or your TV HDR is not properly calibrated, could be one or both of these variables and depending on the source of the signal whether it be stream, game, movie etc. which differ depending on how it was produced. It's not a set and forget type of feature unfortunately.

Kagey K

Banned
I have to hide my eyes sometimes if they flash a flashlight at the screen, but it doesn’t make me any more sleepy or tired as SDR would.

That seems like something your Dr. Should look at.

Pantz

I sneeze in VR when something gets really close or passes through my virtual face. My nose feels tickled and sneezes.
Dark chocolate, also makes me sneeze.

ancelotti

I really love HDR, although I'll admit it can sometimes be overwhelming when you're looking at such a bright light source up close in a dark room. Perhaps some bias lighting (behind the monitor) could alleviate the problem.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Hey, look at the bright side (pun), at least it makes you sleepy, unlike Blu-ray makes you go blind.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’ve been around pc tech and media creation in gaming nearly my whole life. Yet I’m oddly one of those rare few that doesn’t really see HDR, no matter where or when it’s used. And that’s a bummer :(

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Same here OP. I think you are on to something. The easiest answer would be to stop playing or turn off the monitor and get a new one. However, i think this is something important and worth discussion. It's a condition that a lot of people may have and think it's normal and don't think into it too much. Not even sure if there's a diagnosis name for it.

The display i use is an Asus RoG 144hz 4k HDR Gsync. Yeah it was quite a few dollars but the quality is the best and the refresh rate makes game(s) smoother. The problem is, i get tired while playing certain games. My eyelids get heavy all of a sudden and i shut everything down and go sleep, even after only a few minutes of playing. It doesn't happen with all games though, that's what's weird. The games that do trigger the tiredness the most from what i have experienced are, in order of severity:

God of War (PS4 Pro. I haven't been able to experience the game much because it makes me fall asleep within 5-10mins of playing)
No Mans Sky (all versions)
Resident Evil 7 (all versions)
Red Dead Redemption II (both versions although the XB1X the symptoms aren't as bad as playing it on the Pro)
Nintendo Switch (handheld mode. I cannot seem to play any games without falling asleep. Playing it on a television doesn't cause the tiredness symptoms)
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (any version, i have it for all consoles)
Grand Theft Auto V (PC version)
Mass Effect Andromeda (PC version. The console versions don't seem to cause the tiredness)
Dishonored 2 (PC)
Spiderman (PS4 Pro)
Far Cry V (all versions)

Games that don't trigger tiredness symptoms, from what i have experienced:

Battlefield V (PC version)
Company of Heroes 2
Factorio
Uncharted series (PS4 Pro)
PSVR:
Astrobot Rescue Mission
Wipeout VR

In 2011 i was in an auto accident that among other injuries, left me with a severe concussion. I regularly get bouts of dizziness and/or balance issues due to damage of my equilibrium. I take medication(s) for it but anything can trigger dizziness and unbalance feeling, even reading a book. I used to be able to game for hours on end before the accident and now it's pretty much selective in what i can play/tolerate. I think i have to play games which require more brain nerves firing up or something to make me think, otherwise the cells get tired/stop moving or something, idk. Could be something to do with my monitor, some kind of technology it has that i haven't configured correctly, idk.
Maybe it's something to do with WWise, Havok? or some of the other things imbedded into games that are shown at the opening or ending introductions.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
HDR is a pain in the ass.

Calibrate it, get the soccer game looking brilliant!

Put in a movie, can't see shit.... recalibrate.... looks brilliant!

Play a game, why are my blacks grey now? 5 stored settings later.... SDR looks good enough

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned

Play a game, why are my blacks grey now? 5 stored settings later.... SDR looks good enough
A lot of cheap 4k TVS have 'HDR'.

For more mainstream good TVs, we have RTINGS to aid us seeting things up.

But for what I learnt, the profile of the input (game, PC, ) makes the TV behave very different.
Just calibrate each profile, and there's no need to recalibrate for everything everytime.

llien

Hm, settings are normally per HDMI input.

Redstarwater

Neophyte
You noobs asking questions I already linked what we have. Luckily it’s not as bad for me but OP can never legally be a pilot with his condition. Let’s cut him some slack. He might love planes!

Diddy X

Sounds like something I wouldn't bother with

Mihos

Gold Member
Hm, settings are normally per HDMI input.

It is, but on a projector it is all HDMI 1 and the source is handled by the receiver. When one source is putting out 4:4:4 and another 4:2:2, and even between DVD/BluRay/4K/Netflix/AmazonVideo there are differences to be fiddled with. I run ultrawide also, so I already have to lens shift based on format. I have about 5 different profiles for various signal sources,, with one of them being SDR to catch all.

Sounds like something I wouldn't bother with

What's funny, is I actually do it ... and pretty much every one that comes over says they can't tell the difference... which ends up me switching back and forth until they give up and say it 'looks great !', just to get me to shut up about it.

LOOK AT HOW BLUE THAT FUCKING FISH IS.... LOOOK AT IT, TODD

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Hdr on my 75" Samsung q8 is just incredible no matter what I watch. Sometimes I have to make it dim just to ensure the movie I'm watching has the intended look but it always looks cooler with it on.

Top Bottom