• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTV gaming on PS2 from Xploder

SvelteBoy

PS2 lovers can now experience their games with enhanced image quality - standard PS2 games can be played in High Definition using the Xploder HDTV Game Player. You can also exploit the true capabilities of your HDTV set RIGHT NOW and benefit from crystal clear picture quality on all your PS2 games.

Available for both PAL and NTSC PS2 consoles, the Xploder HDTV Player allows you to:

Select a HD 720p or 1080i setting to give a clearer, crisper picture quality for all PS2 games.
Play games in Enhanced Definition (ED) TV 480p mode; a higher resolution for improved image quality.
Choose from a variety of superior VGA options.*

http://www.xploder.net/press-releases/26/HDTV-Game-Upgrade-for-PS2.htm

Hope it works better than that Blaze VGA adapter released a few years back.

Elios83

On the paper it sounds awesome but we have to see if it really works well and with how many titles.
PS3 at least is confirmed to output all PS2 games at 480P.

BlizzyAzz

Elios83 said:
On the paper it sounds awesome but we have to see if it really works well and with how many titles.
PS3 at least is confirmed to output all PS2 games at 480P.

and upconverts them to 720p/1080i/p at least this was written in the fact sheet.

PS3 outputs all games at 480p? That's good news. I wonder if any of the current 480p titles on PS2 will upconvert to 720p...

Fusebox

Banned
Thats what I was about to say ... this would only be a good product if it surpassed the quality of your internal scaler.

teiresias

Bebpo said:

If all it's doing is upscaling the image than he's pretty much right, this is what your HDTV will do to the source when you just feed it to it. Unless this thing somehow makes the games actually render at 720p or whatever I don't see what the difference is from just running it direct into your HDTV (assuming your HDTV doesn't scale like completly @ss).

I'm confused, I thought all PS2 games (or hell any 480i image) on an HDTV looked like crap. I know some can do 480i though, I just didn't know a lot of them did.

BlizzyAzz said:
and upconverts them to 720p/1080i/p at least this was written in the fact sheet.

has this been confirmed post-E3? because, and i may be wrong as im no videophile, but i understand that DVD titles are only allowed to be upconverted to HD resolutions via HDMI. If that is the case, I wonder how that effects the PS3 upconvert features and if it will be possible over component. does anyone have an answer for this?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
meltpotato said:
has this been confirmed post-E3? because, and i may be wrong as im no videophile, but i understand that DVD titles are only allowed to be upconverted to HD resolutions via HDMI. If that is the case, I wonder how that effects the PS3 upconvert features and if it will be possible over component. does anyone have an answer for this?

360 upscales over component, why wouldn't PS3 be able to?

Edit: oh, are you talking about DVDs only? Yeah, dunno.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
360 upscales over component, why wouldn't PS3 be able to?

Edit: oh, are you talking about DVDs only? Yeah, dunno.

well actually i was talking about games. i don't have a 360 and don't know anything about it upscaling games. like i said, definitely ignorant about the rules/limitations

Bebpo

Banned
MetalAlien said:
Yes they do... almost every HDTV upscales to it's native resolution.

Fixed pixel displays (LCD/DLP/Plasma HDTVs)...Yes.

Otherwise (CRT HDTVs, the best TVs for gaming)...No.

icecream

Public Health Threat
It isn't just about the upscaling, because watching OTA channels on a Plasma that upscales to 1080i looks like crap. It's whether or not this thing can postprocess it and clean it up so it looks better than the original when viewed on an HDTV, to me.

Fusebox

Banned
Bebpo said:
Fixed pixel displays (LCD/DLP/Plasma HDTVs)...Yes.

Otherwise (CRT HDTVs, the best TVs for gaming)...No.

CRTs are still the best? Awesome, I need a new set - which is the best 42" HD CRT k thx.

Mmmkay

meltpotato said:
This Xploder device sits outside of the PS2. It's scaling an analog signal and can do whatever it wants with it. The reason why this product is pointless (well it may scale a bit better than some HDTV's, but there's the possibility of introducing lag if it does too much postprocessing) is that it is managing analog signals.

Devices like upscaling DVD players make that resolution change while still having access to the uncompressed digital data which makes the process much more effective. This is why there are HDCP restrictions on upscaling DVD players and not for devices which sit outside of the player.

Bebpo

Banned
Fusebox said:
CRTs are still the best? Awesome, I need a new set - which is the best 42" HD CRT k thx.

Size vs. IQ...the eternal struggle. I'll take the better looking image, k thx :p

Mmmkay said:
This Xploder device sits outside of the PS2. It's scaling an analog signal and can do whatever it wants with it. The reason why this product is pointless (well it may scale a bit better than some HDTV's, but there's the possibility of introducing lag if it does too much postprocessing) is that it is managing analog signals.

Devices like upscaling DVD players make that resolution change while still having access to the uncompressed digital data which makes the process much more effective. This is why there are HDCP restrictions on upscaling DVD players and not for devices which sit outside of the player.

thanks for the explanation. my question was actually in regards to what will be up with the PS3 upscaling.

basically, will i be getting the level of image quality that i now get from my DVD player that upscales my 480p dvd via hdmi to 720p when my PS3 upscales say SF3 from 480i to 720p and will i need to have the hdmi to do this? has any of that been confirmed or can it be inferred from available restrictions/process? my guess is no on both accounts..?

Mmmkay

meltpotato said:
thanks for the explanation. my question was actually in regards to what will be up with the PS3 upscaling.

basically, will i be getting the level of image quality that i now get from my DVD player that upscales my 480p dvd via hdmi to 720p when my PS3 upscales say SF3 from 480i to 720p and will i need to have the hdmi to do this? has any of that been confirmed or can it be inferred from available restrictions/process? my guess is no on both accounts..?
Oh god, my bad sorry :eek:

Yeah videogame wise, the internal PS3 scaling will be done in the same way that you see DVD players do it. It has access to the digital framebuffer and so the scaling quality will be significantly better than any aftermarket product. The HDMI restriction for DVD players is a content protection mechanism rather than a technological limitation so you'll get exactly the same image quality over component for games with the PS3. I can't see any possible reason they would hinder that.

DVD wise, unless they adopt the Multi-AV out to support more than just Sync on Green VGA (and also exploit the same loophole as the 360), then it's probably going to be only the premium model which upscales DVD and over HDMI.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:
Size vs. IQ...the eternal struggle. I'll take the better looking image, k thx :p
If you DO need to upgrade, I urge you to take a look at Pioneer's 2006/7 plasma lineup. I can't help but pimp them. :p

The scaler used in the new series is quite possibly the best scaler I've ever seen in a consumer television. It completely out-performs my Sony CRT, believe it or not (I was extremely suprised by this). Absolutely amazing image quality that offers the best of CRT with the best of fixed pixel technology. PS2 games are absolutely stunning and HD games are even better. I've also mentioned the various image filters you can adjust. Being able to blur the image allows low-res (PSX level) games to look incredible now. I've NEVER seen ICO look as good as it does here. Same goes for straight 2D games. All of those old PSX RPGs with pre-rendered backgrounds now look like smooth, CG images again rather than pixel fests.

I believe they are the best gaming displays on the market right now as they handle resolutions of all variety better than just about anything else out there. The 1080p version (which I do NOT own) is even more impressive, but the standard HD models actually accept and scale 1080p signals...and considering just how good the scaler is, the results are incredible. It's akin to a CRT TV accepting a 720p signal, as those TVs can't actually resolve the full resolution but are able to scale it very well. Same goes for this lineup and a 1080p signal (unless you own the 1080p model). The price is high, but it's well worth it.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
If you DO need to upgrade, I urge you to take a look at Pioneer's 2006/7 plasma lineup. I can't help but pimp them. :p

The scaler used in the new series is quite possibly the best scaler I've ever seen in a consumer television. It completely out-performs my Sony CRT, believe it or not (I was extremely suprised by this). Absolutely amazing image quality that offers the best of CRT with the best of fixed pixel technology. PS2 games are absolutely stunning and HD games are even better. I've also mentioned the various image filters you can adjust. Being able to blur the image allows low-res (PSX level) games to look incredible now. I've NEVER seen ICO look as good as it does here. Same goes for straight 2D games. All of those old PSX RPGs with pre-rendered backgrounds now look like smooth, CG images again rather than pixel fests.

I believe they are the best gaming displays on the market right now as they handle resolutions of all variety better than just about anything else out there. The 1080p version (which I do NOT own) is even more impressive, but the standard HD models actually accept and scale 1080p signals...and considering just how good the scaler is, the results are incredible. It's akin to a CRT TV accepting a 720p signal, as those TVs can't actually resolve the full resolution but are able to scale it very well. Same goes for this lineup and a 1080p signal (unless you own the 1080p model). The price is high, but it's well worth it.

Yeah, when I do upgrade in 3-4 years I'll go to 1080p as only Plasma brings something close to the image of a CRT while giving larger sizes and true 1080p. I'll never buy an LCD/DLP for the rest of my life. Then again, maybe something better than Plasma will be out in 4 years (fingers crossed).

How does it compare to the panasonic 60u line, dark? Strongly considering those right now due to the big premium on Pioneer sets and the very strong quality I've heard about on AVS/seen in person at the shop. (actually, might as well post it in the HDTV thread?)

As for this thread...the upscaling is nothing new or interesting, but if (like the blaze) it can trick some PS2 games into running 480p that normally wouldn't, then that's worth a look.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:
Yeah, when I do upgrade in 3-4 years I'll go to 1080p as only Plasma brings something close to the image of a CRT while giving larger sizes and true 1080p. I'll never buy an LCD/DLP for the rest of my life. Then again, maybe something better than Plasma will be out in 4 years (fingers crossed).
Maybe...JUST maybe, SED will finally see the light of day...

That, or whatever that prototype wth the infinity:1 contrast ratio was (have to look it up).

There is some awesome tech on the way and I hope it crushes LCD into the ground. :D

How does it compare to the panasonic 60u line, dark? Strongly considering those right now due to the big premium on Pioneer sets and the very strong quality I've heard about on AVS/seen in person at the shop. (actually, might as well post it in the HDTV thread?)
The 60u line is certainly of very high quality and Panasonic makes excellent glass, but I feel that the difference in price IS actually worthwhile for a gamer. Where the Pioneer excels is in its processing. As I said, it is capable of handling an incredibly broad range of images than anything else I've encountered on the market. The Panasonic simply can't match it in this area.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it, however. The Pioneer IS quite a bit more expensive and the Panasonic DOES do a great job. It handles low resolution material content much better than any LCD, that's for certain, but it could be better. There were other minor issues I had with the 60u in comparison, but those aren't likely to bother you. I would suggest testing one out with your own equipment. Just make certain you get ahold of the remote and do some minor adjustments.

gogogow

Is the HDTV Player changing the code within games so that they display in HD?

No, the Xploder HDTV Player does not change the code within games. It enables progressive scan, so instead of outputting odd/even fields it outputs 448/512 lines to the CRT output.

Does the HDTV player use additional hardware?

The Xploder HDTV Player does not use any additional hardware in converting the signal; it is purely a software product. The disc does comes bundled with a PS2 component cable for the HDTV output, and a VGA Adaptor cable is available separately for those who wish to use a VGA connection.

Does using the software slow games down?

Games render at their native resolution - therefore Xploder HDTV Player does not take-up any additional processing power.

The PS2 hardware isn't capable of outputting 720p and 1080i

Contrary to popular belief, the PlayStation 2 can output 480p, 720p, 1080i modes via a Component cable. In addition the PS2 supports the following VESA modes (via VGA adaptor):

640 x 480 (60,72, 75, 85hz)
800 x 600 (56, 60, 72, 75,85hz)
1024 x 768 (60, 70, 75, 85hz)
1280 x 1024 (60, 75hz)

Orodreth

So.... did they finally showed the soft working at Leipzig or not? no previews ? media ?

Its stated in their website that will be available on September 1st and im thinking about getting one for my LCD.

dark10x said:
It completely out-performs my Sony CRT, believe it or not

Traitor!!!

Seriously, it is good to hear that some of the newer tech can outperform Sony's SFP CRTs, since they will be all gone very soon.

Mmmkay

gogogow said:
Does the HDTV player use additional hardware?

The Xploder HDTV Player does not use any additional hardware in converting the signal; it is purely a software product. The disc does comes bundled with a PS2 component cable for the HDTV output, and a VGA Adaptor cable is available separately for those who wish to use a VGA connection.
Wait, what?! Well what the hell are they selling then?

Orodreth

Mmmkay said:
Wait, what?! Well what the hell are they selling then?

component or vga cables and a soft that forces progressive scan for every game and upscales to 720p?.

Theres still no news about it form the GC.

Eiji

The release date was supposed to be 1st September but its been delayed by a few weeks according to an email I received from the makers of the product.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
so this is a boot disk that forces games into a higher res?

ourumov

The only game that made a big difference to me running at 480p instead 480i was Tekken 5...All the others, including GT4/TT looked pretty much the same. I guess the scaler on my TV does a really good job.

Top Bottom