• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTV gaming on PS2 from Xploder

Eiji

480i
comparehj9.jpg

480p

Shot not taken by me BTW but you can see the difference.

madmook

Ah, WTF there is a noticeable difference, especially in the main character's facial features.... my emotions are being toyed with...

Ryck

40 bucks? I think im gonna bite the bullet and order this....

We9 in 720p :)

And I really need to finish Mgs3 finally...

rod

Banned
i think all ps2 games are playable on either of my hdtvs, EXCEPT mgs3...its really, really bad, so i hope 720p upscaling might fix this :) il wait for more pics tho

Jasoco

Banned
When you get it, all I want to see is SOTC, Ico and Dragon Quest VIII. The three games that look like shit no matter what I do to them. If this thing can make them look better, I will buy it ASAP. If not, screw them. And Square-Enix. And whoever made Ico and SOTC.

Ryck

Jasoco said:
When you get it, all I want to see is SOTC, Ico and Dragon Quest VIII. The three games that look like shit no matter what I do to them. If this thing can make them look better, I will buy it ASAP. If not, screw them. And Square-Enix. And whoever made Ico and SOTC.
Only have Dq8 out of those three *pure shame* but I will post Mgs3 that game looks like hell on my Hdtv.

scarybore

Jasoco said:

Games tried so far

MGS 3 (working)
God of War (working)
ICO (not working)
Tekken 5 (working)
Scarface (not working)
Kingdom Hearts II (working)

I think you will be waiting a long time :p

Surely, unless magical elves are involved, scaling games above its native resolution should result in framerate problems?

Smokey

Jasoco said:

Agreed. SOTC looks like butter ass on my HDTV.

Baryn

Banned
Smokey Bones said:
Agreed. SOTC looks like butter ass on my HDTV.
When I run it in 480p at 16:9, it looks flawless.

It's going to become a moot issue once everyone moves on to next gen, but everyone should have researched the scaling capability of their sets, as all HDTVs are NOT created equal.

Smokey

Baryn said:
When I run it in 480p at 16:9, it looks flawless.

It's going to become a moot issue once everyone moves on to next gen, but everyone should have researched the scaling capability of their sets, as all HDTVs are NOT created equal.

I have a Sony XS HD CRT, one of their very best sets. The PS2 underscans horribly when set to 480p on my TV.

Meanwhile HD cable and my 360 are virtual orgasms.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm tempted to get this for 480p, but i don't know how many compatible ps2 games i'm even going to play, they might add ps2 upscaling functions to ps3, and it's kind of expensive for what it does...

Eiji

I suppose its worth it for the 480p support alone if it works with lots of games. I always had a feeling something would be wrong with the 720p/1080i modes because if the PS2 could display them properly, official developers would of added the HD video modes to their games.

Zaptruder

Banned
WTF. If the left side is the Xploder modified picture, it simply looks like the additional pixel modes are adding black bars in the horizontal sense... if you zoom in, you just lose any additional pixel sharpness gained... it doesn't add any pixel information. It's just a stupid hassel.

Bad idea, bad implementation, marketed at suckers... unfortunately the bar for suckers in the HD era is raised quite high given how confusing the whole shebang is.

The only device that can really upscale PS2 games will be a high end PC in a couple years when the PS2 emulators have become far more refined.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For all those complaining about PS2 on their HDTVs, could we get an idea of what TVs you are using (make/model/technology)?

I can tell you right now that, with the right HDTV, you can make ICO look absolutely stunning (most PS2 games as well, but ICO is always a tough one due to its odd resolution).

Lince

Banned
Zaptruder said:
The only device that can really upscale PS2 games will be a high end PC in a couple years when the PS2 emulators have become far more refined.

Let's hope PS3 will be able to do that with an update sometime in the future...

dark10x said:
For all those complaining about PS2 on their HDTVs, could we get an idea of what TVs you are using (make/model/technology)?

I can tell you right now that, with the right HDTV, you can make ICO look absolutely stunning (most PS2 games as well, but ICO is always a tough one due to its odd resolution).

You have an XBR960 that you don't use much right? I really need to find one. Wanna sell it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dragona Akehi said:
You have an XBR960 that you don't use much right? I really need to find one. Wanna sell it?
Unfortunately, it's not an XBR960. It's a slightly smaller Sony CRT that I keep in another room.

I haven't seen an XBR960 in months, though (just the 970). :( Even if I had one to sell, wouldn't it cost and arm and a leg to ship the thing?

dark10x said:
Unfortunately, it's not an XBR960. It's a slightly smaller Sony CRT that I keep in another room.

I haven't seen an XBR960 in months, though (just the 970). :( Even if I had one to sell, wouldn't it cost and arm and a leg to ship the thing?

Poop. I would have had someone pick it up and sent it on international freight or something.

Bebpo

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
It was an auction... and I didn't win.

>_<

The Sony CRT HDTVs really are amazing. I hope you run across a good deal on one soon.

You still haven't played VP2? If so, then yeah, try to get one of these sets before hand. 480p (and 16:9 if you prefer it, I don't for VP2) is nice :)

Aaron

Tiduz said:
http://www.samsung.com/nl/products/tv/lcdtv/le37s71b.asp

i have this one, and a component cable, and most ps2 games look like total crap. normaly FFXII cutscenes look amazing, but on my tv they get stretched like the bully screenshots, really bad quality... i found out with a custom setting with sharpness down it looks a bit better but nowhere near how it SHOULD look.
LCDs in general don't handle SD feeds so well. One of the few downsides.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
ok then :p

btw, the hdtv player disc, is it a special disc like swap magic, with all the swirly things on the back of the dvd?

Bebpo said:
>_<

The Sony CRT HDTVs really are amazing. I hope you run across a good deal on one soon.

I dunno if that's going to be possible. They're discontinued and there really weren't very common around me anyway. If I do, I'll be paying up the ass in freight, but that'd be awesome still!

You still haven't played VP2? If so, then yeah, try to get one of these sets before hand. 480p (and 16:9 if you prefer it, I don't for VP2) is nice :)

It's on its way... but part of me really wanted to wait until I had a better TV since it's 480 AND 16:9.

So it finally arrived today....and I keep getting disc read error, which has never happened with any of my games (new or used). Woohoo!

I still don't have my copy yet, but it is nice to hear that PS2 owners get even more 480p support. According to GI it actually does give you a better picture over native 480i, so for me this is worth it. I hope I'll be playing FFXII in 480p 16x9 on Halloween. My tv does have a zoom feature so I'll just wait and see how 1080i looks on it, probably no better than 480p or 480i since it looks like all they did was output a 1080i signal and then reformat the 480i image to fit inside it.

Either way I hope the guys over at the PS2/3 scene get a hold of it and tweak it or atleast make an option so we can boot it from the memory card.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I hope I'll be playing FFXII in 480p 16x9 on Halloween.

SO DID I :(

I've a later model PS2, however, the one that plays progressive scan dvds. It doesn't play blue discs though...I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Sugarman said:
SO DID I :(

I've a later model PS2, however, the one that plays progressive scan dvds. It doesn't play blue discs though...I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

If it isn't under warranty I'd take it to EB Games and trade it in for store credit and pick up a used PS2 that works. I don't know how to adjust the new models' lasers but you could try cleaning the lens with a microfiber cloth.

Apharmd Battler said:
So this device is a waste of time then...right?

Sounds like if you want more 480p support it's worth it, just don't expect to use the 720p or 1080i options for much of anything unless your TV has a zoom feature.

The thing I'm wondering is, if you have a 480i PS2 game that has the 16:9 option and you set the Xploder display for 720p or 1080i does the Xlpoder know to reformat the game depending on what option is selected in the game's settings menu? I mean let's say my TV supports 720p and my game supports 480i 4:3 or 16:9. I tell Xploder to run the game in 720p which stretches the image and makes everyone short and fat. Looks like I would need to remember to tell the game itself to run in 16:9 for it to format correctly, making everyone the correct porportions.

Does Bully support 16:9?
If not that could be the problem with running the game above 480p.

Shapermc

I have a Samsung HLS6187W with an OG PS2. The games look... well, bad, but not for anything that they didn't look bad for on a SDTV. PS2 graphics just didn't age well. The DC though VGA looks much better than stuff that supports 480p and/or widescreen most times.

Anyways, I have heard reports that games (all games) look much better on HD through the slim PStwos. I am debating on getting one when people start selling theirs to afford PS3s.

I just got it and FFXII tonight, like 10 minutes ago.
I don't have time to post a review, but let's just say FFXII will run in 480p@4:3
Pictureps2-383.gif

I'll hold my review of the Xploder disk until I use it a little while and understand it, so far I'm slightly disapointed with it due to the lack of a 16:9 option for 480p. Maybe I'm just missing something I don't know, and I'm too excited to find out. I gotta play FFXII!!!

Top Bottom