• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDTV gaming on PS2 from Xploder

This info from SRK might be useful to some people. Xploder seems like the only way to play PS2 480i native games without the HDTV upconversion lag.

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94426

fubarduck said:
Why do HDTVs lag on video games?
HDTVs typically only have one or two "native" resolutions. A set's native resolution is the resolution that it displays on the screen. This means that sometimes, the HDTV must "scale" the resolution you input in order to display it.

On regular, non-HD televisions, there is only one native resolution, which is 480i (240p). Whenever you play a video game on a standard definition TV, the game console always outputs 480i/240p and the TV displays it as 480i/240p. No need for any scaling, so response time is always normal and accurate.

However, because HDTVs NEVER have 480i/240p (Standard Definition) and usually not even 480p (Enhanced Definition) as a native resolution, that means that any video game console we have that can't output a High Definition signal is likely to lag on any HDTV display. It isn't that it is impossible to scale an image with no lag; HDTVs simply put the emphasis on image quality, which takes some time to process, rather than speed. Some newer HDTVs now come equipped with a "Game Mode" to speed up the scaling process and reduce or eliminate lag on the set. You can read more about "Game Mode" later into the FAQ.

So just how bad is the lag?
Although there is no real way to measure, and the numbers vary based on the HDTV, the average HDTV seems to lag roughly 6 frames, or 1/10th of a second when processing 480i material. DLP HDTVs seem to be a bit worse, some people claiming lag up to 15 frames, or 1/4th of a second. If these numbers will not affect your gaming habit, don't worry about it too much. Casual gamers probably will not notice a lag this small; you can stop reading and get back to gaming if that's the case. The most affected gamers will be those who play ultra-time sensitive games such rhythm games, sports games with swinging/kicking meters, shooters, or fighting games. If you fall into one of these categories, please read on.

Small update: Again I can't review until at least tomorrow.

Some games don't work
Some games do work
Some games work but look stretched/squashed/retarded.
Some games just simply look shrinked and the same as they did before only smaller.
Some games look a tiny bit better.
Some games do offer a noticeable improvement.

Silent Hill 3 and God of War look really nice.

It IS a hassle, but some games truly do look fantastic... The best option is 720p for most, if not all, games. It just depends on how the game itself is natively rendered and what options are available from the game itself. Silent Hill 3, and God of War with 16:9 enabled, look really clean. Silent Hill 3 looks exceptionaly sharp, I'm talking maxed out computer monitor sharp. These two games render in 720p but only show a 4:3 image with black bars on the sides just like a normal 480i signal except in 720p, but because of this they don't look squashed or stretched, they just look porportionately correct as 4:3. I assume GoW looks better with 16:9 enabled because it is a cropped widescreen and not enhanced.(?) Now for God of War, and other games like FFXII, you can, ofcourse, get rid of the black bars by stretching the screen a bit further horizontaly, but this might make some games look squashed that are 4:3 or 16:9 cropped.

I'll go in detail on how I set my stuff up sometime later, for now I'll just say that I think you are supposed to set your tv's display so that the 720p Xploder screen fills it up and is centered. This will help to make 4:3/16:9 "cropped" games look correct on a widescreen display. You can adjust for a few inches of horizontal overscan to get 16:9 enhanced to set properly.

I can't say enough about how great SH3's IQ is, the game really does look exceptional. (I'll try to get pics up tomorrow)

As you can probably tell, for me, the disk was worth it as I understand how to access the service mode in my set. Also, my TV is tube and 1080i is the best option for high def content for me, and because of this, I can stretch my 720p setting so that it formats with the Xploder display correctly and use it only for that purpose.

I do NOT recommend this disk for the vast majority of people, but I really shouldn't say that yet until I try out the VGA modes on my computer monitor as well.

Aaron

Yours are the first truly positive impressions I've read, but you're also the first person who sounds like he actually knows what he's doing with the disc. :D

Still undecided on this with the price tag, but I wouldn't mind some of the better looking PS2 games to cease with the washed out look they have on my plasma.

M3wThr33

Banned
Does it look as good as this:
sh3screen006or3.jpg

From what I remember reading when GT4 came out was that the 1080i mode was the just 480i image upscaled to 1080 instead actually rendering at 1080i resolutions. I tried to look for something to back this up, but I could find anything so I could be wrong.

All of GT4's modes were goofy and had tradeoffs.

In 480i it used a 32bit color depth but had half-height frame-buffers(640x224). That's why whenever the game dropped from 60fps, it looked all low-res since you're using the same buffer for both fields.

In 480p you had full sized frame-buffers(640x448) but were running in 16bit color depth

In 1080i you had both 16-bit color AND half height frame buffers(640x448) The only real upscaling is taking 640 and stretching to 1920. In fact, a large number of PS2 games don't even render 640.

You can tell this stuff if you take a look at the 4MB EDRAM.

M3wThr33 said:
Does it look as good as this:
sh3screen006or3.jpg

YES!:D ... Even better in person.

hamdammage said:
All of GT4's modes were goofy and had tradeoffs.

In 480i it used a 32bit color depth but had half-height frame-buffers(640x224). That's why whenever the game dropped from 60fps, it looked all low-res since you're using the same buffer for both fields.

In 480p you had full sized frame-buffers(640x448) but were running in 16bit color depth

In 1080i you had both 16-bit color AND half height frame buffers(640x448) The only real upscaling is taking 640 and stretching to 1920. In fact, a large number of PS2 games don't even render 640.

You can tell this stuff if you take a look at the 4MB EDRAM.

Well, I have the game and have seen it running on my 34xs955 and 1080i truly looks incredible, way better than 480p or 480i. How PD got 1080i was explained before here at GAF, since GT4 runs at 60fps PD could afford to render 1 frame at 640x540odd lines and the next frame at 640x540even lines. When blended together to a 30/33Htz? field you got 640x1080.

Aaron said:
]Yours are the first truly positive impressions I've read, but you're also the first person who sounds like he actually knows what he's doing with the disc.

I wouldn't say I know what I'm talking about, but I half way do.. maybe.

I went back and played around with some other games and it looks like 720p tries to render the games the way the Xbox rendered Soul Calibur II. You get black bars on all 4 corners but since the pixels are smaller you get a much sharper image. 480p actually works, and really does render the games properly, but you can't use 16:9? unless the game has cropped wide screen or you stretch the TV size. Oh, and don't bother trying to play SC3 in 720p as everything runs double speed. The characters talk twice as fast and the game runs all hyper mode and shit. FFXII looks really great in 480p, but I'm running it in 720p and dealing with the black bars.

The only reasons I could recommend the Xploder disk to anyone are as follows.

A. You want more EDTV 480p support.
B. You want to play your PS2 games on a computer monitor.
C. You have a relatively large TV and 480i sources look like crap on it.

And even after those reasons I still can't recommend it to anyone except die-hard graphically anal PS2 owners with lots of time to waste that don't mind a big hassle for a small increase in graphical quality.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sorry if i'm being dense, but suppose i'm playing a game like yakuza or ff12 that runs in 16:9 480i -- if i set xploder to output 480p, can it still do a proper 16:9, or does that not work for some reason?

sorry if i'm being dense, but suppose i'm playing a game like yakuza or ff12 that runs in 16:9 480i -- if i set xploder to output 480p, can it still do a proper 16:9, or does that not work for some reason?

There is technically no reason why it should not work. After all, 16:9 mode on PS2 games just mean a viewport rendering change, not a change in frame buffer size. Essentially, 16:9 mode renders an anamorphic frame and any widescreen TV can stretch that to give you the proper aspect ratio.

drohne

ah -- i thought midgar was saying that xploder outputs a 16:9 picture with black bars at the sides. maybe that's just for the hd resolutions? i think i'll order one...480p looks a lot cleaner than 480i on my tv.

drohne said:
ah -- i thought midgar was saying that xploder outputs a 16:9 picture with black bars at the sides. maybe that's just for the hd resolutions? i think i'll order one...480p looks a lot cleaner than 480i on my tv.

Err, I don't really know how to explain it, but on my set when I play a 480p game, like Valkyrie Profile 2, I can play it in 16:9 and it fits my widescreen tv just fine. However, when I use the Xploder disk I only get a 4:3 picture unless I stretch the horizontal size of my screen.

Maybe it's my tv, afer all, it is new and I have been calibrating it and adjusting things in the service mode.

Here is the Xploder 480p screen
xplode.gif

Here is how FFXII is in 480p. (Xploder disk)
ffxii.gif

When I enable 16:9 it only stretches the image, the screen is still 4:3 even when I switch tv modes to full.
stretched.gif

Here is FFXII in 720p with vertical zoom on.
ffxii720pvx.png

Here is RE4 in 480p 16:9 (No Xploder disk)
re4.gif

Err, I don't really know how to explain it, but on my set when I play a 480p game, like Valkyrie Profile 2, I can play it in 16:9 and it fits my widescreen tv just fine. However, when I use the Xploder disk I only get a 4:3 picture unless I stretch the horizontal size of my screen.

How does the Xploder image look in "NORMAL" mode on your TV? Does it look the same is "FULL" or is it more squished than standard games material under "NORMAL"?

I have a theory. There might an issue if FFXII's framebuffer isn't 640 pixels wide. I believe the previous games were 512 pixels wide(Seems common in Japanese games).

If I were to guess how the Xploder works, it probably hijacks the final rendering step where a framebuffer is scanned and converted to a TV signal. You can change a few things here such as framebuffer width and FIELD or FRAME rendering. The Xploder forces FRAME rendering and assumes that all games have a 640 pixel wide framebuffer and if a game doesn't, then that can explain the black bars on the sides.

Like I said, pull out of my ass, but sounds reasonable enough.

Ryck

I finally got mine and it only works on about 4 of my 20 games... :( but 480p works fine ( as long as you don't want 16:9. Really I would only recommend this to people playing either on a 4:3 crt monitor or a 4:3 Hd tv. Otherwise it doesn't really work all that well. The other resolutions are pretty much unplayable ( except on a monitor because you can stretch the screen to how you want)

Ryck

Also I heard the xploder allows you to play import games is that true? ( I have no imports to test it)

Ryck said:
I finally got mine and it only works on about 4 of my 20 games... :( but 480p works fine ( as long as you don't want 16:9. Really I would only recommend this to people playing either on a 4:3 crt monitor or a 4:3 Hd tv. Otherwise it doesn't really work all that well. The other resolutions are pretty much unplayable ( except on a monitor because you can stretch the screen to how you want)

I've got about 30 games and it works on 19-20 of them. I actually consider 720p mode playable for me as my television has been properly adjusted for only 5% overscan and is 34". I'm actually getting a pretty decent picture in 720p. Everyone just needs to realize the only reason games look better in 720p is due to the smaller pixel and screen size a 640x480 image will give set inside a 720p screen. 480p 4:3 works though and offers proof that even the best PS2 devs can am be retarded for not implementing it.

And no the Xploder disk doesn't let you play imports that I know of because the disk doesn't stop spinning.

I'm kinda with you Ryck, I just couldn't recommend this Xploder disk to anyone unless they just have a lot of time on their hands or are just insanely anal retentive about PS2 games. That isn't to say it doesn't work, to an extent it does as it offers PC monitor support, 480p support, and 720p support for people with big screen TV's that have subpar 480i/480p picture quality. Matter of fact a friend of mine might benefit from the disk as he only owns an uber craptastic 20 inch wal-fart television, but has a really sweet 24 inch computer monitor.

But the biggest problem with the HDTV Xploder idea is that next gen will officially be here very soon, so what is the point? (Goes back to playing FFXII in 720p)

Ryu1999

MidgarBlowedUp said:
But the biggest problem with the HDTV Xploder idea is that next gen will officially be here very soon, so what is the point? (Goes back to playing FFXII in 720p)

Here's my question: even though the PS3 lets you set a resolution, does that mean that legacy games will automatically be scaled to that resolution? I thought there hasn't been any mention of BC enhancements....or is upscaling not considered an enhancement like FSAA or faster disk reading would be?

Like I've said before, Tekken Tag is unplayable with lag, and I don't want to pay 50 bucks for something that my [pre-ordered] PS3 can do natively

I think the biggest advantage PS3 will have for PS2 games, even if it doesn't upscale, will be the HDMI output.

I don't think you can play imports with the HDTV Xploder disk, I'll keep trying.

Regarding 720p option.
This is interesting, atleast for owners of 16:9 HDTV sets that have a vertical expand and horizontal expand option. I'm playing Silent Hill 3 in 720p with the vertical expand option turned on and it appears to format correctly. I get black bars on the sides and a nice 4:3 image in the center that fills the screen properly. The game looks really ****ing good, there are a few jaggies still hanging around when playing the game, but it does look like a much higher resolution picture. The detail is pretty impressive, and the cutscenes are OMFG WOW razor sharp just like the dev shots. This sort of changes my thinking on how usefull this disk is. The fact that I can get a slightly upscaled image from my 480i games by using the horizontal expand setting on my TV really does make some games look a good bit better. Devil May Cry 3 SE looks very nice! All of this is assuming your TV's expand options are set correctly either from the factory (Highly Unlikely), or from an ISF technician or yourself. If they aren't correct you will get some strange noise at the bottom part of the screen and/or the image will be off center or everyone's heads will be cut off.

Which brings me to the 480p option.
Now I get it!!! If you want 16:9 480i games to work correctly in 480p you will need to use the horizontal expand option on your TV. I think this is what hamdammage was trying to point out, I just find it really odd that a regular 480p 16:9 games renders correctly but one with the Xploder requires the horizontal expand option.

Pics?
Yes yes, I'll get more up soon. The problem with pictures is that I am not a very good photographer so I don't really know how a picture of a picture is going to transfer so you can see what the differences really look like. I'll give it a try though.

SH3 720p Vertical Expand w/ sharp setting on.
sh3720pvx.png

SH3 upscaled to 960i by the TV & w/ sharp setting off.
sh3960i.png

I doubt you can see much of a difference between the two pics, but in person, at least on my set, there is a difference. All my 480i material gets upscaled to 960i but you still get a slightly grainy looking image, and believe me I've tried everything to clean it up as much as possible. In 480p, even on DVD's I can still see some noise, but 720p and 1080i content is generally very clean to my eyes. I haven't tried SH3 in 480p yet, but it probably looks about the same as 720p does. The main difference between SH3 in 480i and SH3 with Xploder would be Xploder reduces or removes interlace flicker and appears to clean up and sharpen the image slightly. It isn't a big difference, but it is noticeable.

Sorry, I forgot to pause the screen on the 480i pic, and keep in mind 720p is with SH3's sharp setting on and 480i/960i is with it off. With it turned on in 480i you get a jaggier image.

I still do not recommend this product, not for 50 + $'s. If it were $25 I'd recommend it just for the fairly decent component cables, tin case to store stuff in, and slight image upgrade you get with 480p. VGA cables should have been included too.

Compatibility List:
http://www.xploder.net/faqs/6/hdtv-player-compatibility-guide.htm

Quick Start Guide:
http://www.xploder.net/xploder-guides/5/Xploder-HDTV-Player-.htm

ArsTechnica user's review:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/39309975/m/272006341831/p/3

IGN Review: (Which to me sounds like the projector they were using was uncalibrated or something)
http://gear.ign.com/articles/742/742965p1.html?RSSwhen2006-10-31_172800&RSSid=742974

For one reason or another, God of War was not stretched or squished and played in the correct aspect ratio and in the correct position on our viewable surface. We discovered, however, that while the middle 30% of the image, if divided vertically, appeared sharper, the 35% of the remaining image on either side of center was stretched, more and more noticeably to the periphery of the image. This gave the impression of viewing the world though a fish-eye lens as we ran down corridors due to the textures stretching as they reached the side of the screen. We didn't like the feeling this gave us and decided it was unacceptable.

The above part of the IGN review doesn't make sense as this does not happen on my TV. God of War looks fantastic in 720p on my set, but like FFXII in 720p it just doesn't fill the screen. It looks like the PS2 is outputting a 1280x720 image and only the center 640x480 of that image is being shown. This essentially makes the pixels smaller and gives the appearance of a sharper image. I guess the point here is that you are simply taking a risk of being out $50 by purchasing the HDTVX disk. On my CRT HDTV, with the vertical expand option on some games, I can get a great picture. I expect this disk will work well on my 4:3 computer monitor too. However, if you own a different type of technology, like a projector, this disk may not work the way you expect. For connecting the PS2 to a computer monitor this is probably the best option available.

I can't find the VGA cable anywhere on Xploder's site.

Ryck

If anyone in the Us wants it Im willing to take a loss on it and sell it to you. Pm me if interested.

Ok I gotta change my mind again.

It really appears like it just depends on the game itself. Silent Hill 3 (4:3) looks wondrous in 720p with the vertical expand option, and oddly, Final Fantasy XII looks proportionately correct in 16:9 with the vertical expand option. For some reason I get a large black bar at the top of screen and a small thin one at the bottom and then two thin ones on each side. This formats the game correctly as circles are circles and squares are squares. In standard 720p without the vertical expand option things do look a little squished. Just know that FFXII still has jaggies, but the game does look a little cleaner, at least in motion, with this disk.

So in the end, it looks like it just depends on the game you have, the type of tv you have, and what options you have available for your tv and/or computer monitor. You also need to be pretty skilled, more so than the average gamer, to set things up correctly. However, 480p support still stands and makes games like MGS2 Subsistence hot like sex.

I think I have to get this because everything in 480i looks like ass on my HDTV. Is this going to be available everywhere? Because the only place I can find it listed online is at gamestop.com.

Probably been asked before-- does this work with PS3 at all? It should, since the PS3 has the emotion engine, right?

Please delete this, I just spotted that post above/ searched. :(

Ryck

Just to let you guys know Gamestops have these in stock now ( in store). I went yesterday and noticed it there behind the register.

I bought this a few weeks ago. It looks great, but it doesn't work with many games. Okami, DMC3, Godhand don't work. it was worth it just for FFXII though.

JB1981

akachan ningen said:
I bought this a few weeks ago. It looks great, but it doesn't work with many games. Okami, DMC3, Godhand don't work. it was worth it just for FFXII though.

Doesn't work with Okami? Ugh, that's one of the games I wanted to play.

Laurent

I am on the verge of buying this. I intend to play Resident Evil 4 on my Daewoo Monitor that display a maximum of 1280 x 1024. I will need a VGA adapter, but I already bought the Blaze VGA Adaptor solution last year (with the cable, that is exacly like the one Xploder is saling, except with the Pelican Accessories notice) and it outputs this game as shit.

Does anyone know if spending 40$ on this could make my experience better?

Dazzla

FFXII looks like absolute ass on a PS3 via HDMI at 720p on an LCD. If this is gonna do anything to help that then I'm importing one. Worth it?

My other PS2 games are SotC, GoW and GT4.

Dazzla

I'm sure someone knows. They lis the product in their PS3 section as well as their PS2 section. I've bought one anyway so we'll see.

Yama

Dazzla said:
I'm sure someone knows. They lis the product in their PS3 section as well as their PS2 section. I've bought one anyway so we'll see.
Even if to make games just look as good as they did on my PS2, anything more would be a bonus. The PS3 being the HD machine that it is should have had these options built in when using BC.

BTW out of curiosity, what would happen if you put in a PSone game? Just not compatible?

suikodan

Dazzla said:

I sent an email to Xploder so hopefully I'll get an answer but I wouldn't want one if the PS3 is eventually going to do it via software.

If the PS2 can do it via software, I'm sure that the PS3 can also do it w/o the need of a scaler chip.

drohne

i've read that it does work on ps3. might buy it if the bc issues aren't fixed in the near future.

Dazzla

Ok, update. Xploder are insanely fast at shipping. I received mine today. £22 and I bought the NTSC version, obviously as I've imported a US PS3.

First of all, I couldn't select 720p. Here's the resolutions I could use:

HDMI - 480p and 1080i
Component - 480p, 576p and 1080i

Now, there are VGA modes but I can't try them. In 1080i mode the picture takes up a small fraction of the screen in the middle and I've no idea why, renders it pretty unusable. Although I tried FFXII on that tiny fraction and it was stupidly sharp.

So ultimately I ended up playing FFXII over HDMI at 480p, looks a lot better, all the shimmering present (in most PS2 games actually) is gone but one thing to note is it plays in 4:3 when running in 480p (no idea why). I'm still debating whether the trade off is worth it.

Edit, perhaps it's worth noting it's on a LG 32LX2R LCD (1366x768).

Rayne.S

Banned
Dazzla said:
Ok, update. Xploder are insanely fast at shipping. I received mine today. £22 and I bought the NTSC version, obviously as I've imported a US PS3.

HDMI - 480p and 1080i

Now, there are VGA modes but I can't try them. In 1080i mode the picture takes up a small fraction of the screen in the middle and I've no idea why, renders it pretty unusable. Although I tried FFXII on that tiny fraction and it was stupidly sharp.

So ultimately I ended up playing FFXII over HDMI at 480p, looks a lot better, all the shimmering present (in most PS2 games actually) is gone but one thing to note is it plays in 4:3 when running in 480p (no idea why). I'm still debating whether the trade off is worth it.

Bought it as well. It irritates me to no end that PS2 games on my PS3 look like ass, besides my plasma does some nice scaling to fit the screen so ... If the HDTV thingy turns out to be shite...well, then its wasted money...

kikonawa

Dazzla said:

HDMI - 480p and 1080i

hi, can you try to play a pal ps2 game? somebody mentioned it enables you to play imports

Dazzla

kikonawa said:
hi, can you try to play a pal ps2 game? somebody mentioned it enables you to play imports

I tried that, tried a PS2 demo disc from the UK PS magazine, didn't work. I set the mode to PAL, inserted the demo disc and it exited to the XMB with an error.

f@luS, I bought mine direct from xploder, NTSC disc for my US PS3, delivered in the UK in 2 days.

Laurent

Could the 720p option not being available had more to do with your TV? I really need to know more about VGA modes on a monitor... Nobody has a PS2 to VGA adapter?

Dazzla

I don't see why, my PS3 + 360 are 720p and my DVD player is 720p (HDMI, Component, DVI respectively). I just get a black screen when using the Xploder.

Yama said:
BTW out of curiosity, what would happen if you put in a PSone game? Just not compatible?

It reboots the PS2 and will play the PS1 game but it renders it in some remote corner of the screen it this tiny little window that is usually all warped looking. In other words, it is useless for PS1 games.

Yama said:
Would this work with the PS3's BC?

Yes, except for the 720p option.

Laurent said:
Could the 720p option not being available had more to do with your TV? I really need to know more about VGA modes on a monitor... Nobody has a PS2 to VGA adapter?

On the PS2 720p works on my TV, however, on the PS3 it does not.

Top Bottom