• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: HP, Intel I5 6400, RX 480, Windows 10, 1TB HDD/128 SSD $600/Free shipping.

Sale is no longer on, was a Woot daily deal for $450 refurbished for the same machine. Sorry for the inconvenience, now it's just discussion.

Deal at HP for a really capable gaming machine. Comes with everything but a display.

c04809753.png
c04809950.png

Coupon code is HVR150 which gets you 25% off the list price.

Product specifications

Operating system
Windows 10 Home
Processor and graphics
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-6400 Processor
Memory
8 GB DDR4 memory
Hard drive
128 SSD + 1 TB HDD storage
Graphics
Radeon™ RX 480 Graphics Card by HPI
Optical drive
ODD DVDSM 9.5 Tray
Networking
WLAN I 3168 ac 1x1 and BT 4.2 WW
Audio
DTS Studio Sound™
Keyboard and mouse
HP USB Wired Keyboard with volume control
Power supply
300 W AC power adapter
Memory slots
2 DIMM
Expansion slots
1 PCIe x1; 1 PCIe x16; 2 M.2
External I/O Ports
1 USB 3.0 (Type-C™); 3 USB 3.0; 2 USB 2.0; 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo
Energy efficiency
ENERGY STAR® certified; EPEAT® Silver registered
Dimensions (W X D X H)
14.88 x 6.5 x 14.33 in
Weight
15.77 lb
Warranty
1 year limited hardware warranty
Software
McAfee LiveSafe™

I'm assuming its the 4GB variation of the 480. I also don't really know about HPI, I'm hoping some people might be able to shed some light on it.

Update:

Still when you consider all that you are getting, that's a really great deal on a gaming PC. Certainly cheaper than you can build yourself to start with afaik.

Hyperlink me to the trash if old.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You can count on it having a shit - possibly proprietary - MOBO and a garbage PSU. The case is dumpy plastic. I doubt it's very "future proof" in the way of I/O or stuff like M.2 PCIe.

With all that said - for $600 - that's a helluva deal and a fantastic way to get into the PC gaming space. It will easily handle any game out at 1080p high settings at 60fps, save for maybe things like Witcher 3 or Star Citizen, or CPU-heavy games like Civ in late turns.

If you've been on the edge, you're not gonna "get in the game" for cheaper with these kinds of specs.

EDIT: I see it does have M.2. Hmm... Yeah, pretty solid.

I have a far more capable PC and I was tempted to buy because that is a great deal.

The pre-built deals are getting incredibly nowadays. I've just been part upgrading every two years on this machine dating back to like 2010 or so (Pretty much none of the original hardware outside the case now though lol) which has worked great for me, as they retain their value pretty well. But man, these deals are pretty frequent nowadays.

Slickdeals alone has pretty much new PC's daily for cheaper than I can build them part for part.

Micro Center always has the best damn deals, but I live in Washington so no go for me.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/471280/Aspire_AT3-715A-UR11_Desktop_Computer

You can count on it having a shit - possibly proprietary - MOBO and a garbage PSU. The case is dumpy plastic. I doubt it's very "future proof" in the way of I/O or stuff like M.2 PCIe.

With all that said - for $600 - that's a helluva deal and a fantastic way to get into the PC gaming space. It will easily handle any game out at 1080p high settings at 60fps, save for maybe things like Witcher 3 or Star Citizen, or CPU-heavy games like Civ in late turns.

If you've been on the edge, you're not gonna "get in the game" for cheaper with these kinds of specs.

EDIT: I see it does have M.2. Hmm... Yeah, pretty solid.

I was about to hit up their support chat to try to get some more details on the Mobo and GPU.

Ploid 3.0

I would probably get that, and put everything in a new case + new power supply. I don't know much about AMD cards. Is the motherboard good?

I would probably get that, and put everything in a new case + new power supply. I don't know much about AMD cards. Is the motherboard good?

Unknown at this time, but I very much doubt it wouldn't last through the next 4 years or so. Even most ITX H110M boards and such now are really solid. Just have a few less ports and features for OC'ing generally. Which doesn't really come into play here.

this deal wont magically disappear in 2 hours will it?

I think you're safe, but looking into it.

I guess it shits on it probably

I mean... sort of? It's better, but shits on would highly depend on the title. The CPU is far superior obviously so that helps. Boot times, load times etc would be great with the SSD compared to the Pro (even with an SSD in the pro, as we know. Since it's not really capable of taking advantage of an SSD in the same way.

Basically, yea it's a better machine. But the Pro is definitely a solid machine. Just hampered by the CPU and doesn't have the same capabilities as a PC.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...s/12079680/model/14444182/document/c05325469/

7efcf8efb9.png

ff3d20181c.png

Ploid 3.0

I might as well get this. I mean, I laughed at the idea of getting it at first, but it's sounding pretty good. I could even give my current gaming PC to a family member that is interested in PC gaming. This is better than my current PC (weaker power supply. 300 really? and I hope that thing doesn't have problems). I'm really thinking about this, Gaf warned me about premade PCs, but this looks good, at least for the parts alone.

Buy this, buy new case, and power supply whenever I feel like it, no rush. 4+ years later buy new MB and processor, and ram.

Edit: Won't be a good idea to get a new PSU apparently. HP motherboards has a history of not being compatible with standard atx motherboards. So maybe no graphics card upgrade as well. Hmm.

Any recommended monitors for this set? How are the HP ones offered as extras to this?

I wouldn't. They're nice for what they are. But you could probably spend a little bit more to get a monitor with Freesync, or a high refresh rate monitor. I'll look for a couple to recommend.

If you're looking in the same price range, and only really care about 60hz or so. You get more with Asus on something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Smaller 24" monitor TN, but 144hz and Freesync. $209.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's a page with a list of Freesync enabled monitors if you want adaptive sync with the card you get.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-freesync-monitors/

There's a lot of options, shop around on Newegg and Amazon and use filters for the features that sound nice to you. I very much recommend high refresh rate monitors though!

bomblord1

Banned
If anyone is curious I tried to make a build with equivalent specs and this is the ABSOLUTE cheapest I could get it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($41.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.74 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.66 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4GB Red Dragon Video Card ($191.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill FBM-05 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($14.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: A4Tech KRS-85 Wired Standard Keyboard ($7.48 @ Directron)
Mouse: Rosewill RM-C2U Wired Optical Mouse ($3.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $747.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-10 18:55 EST-0500

Edit: Once again I never recommend building these "cheap as you can possibly get" builds. Most of the parts here are of incredibly questionable quality. Also the GPU should technically fit but it will be a tight squeeze. Although I'm not sure why you would in the first place when the HP is a better deal.

Edit: Bottom post is better. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I was able to save a few dollars by using a mobo with built in wifi.

If anyone is curious I tried to make a build with equivalent specs and this is the ABSOLUTE cheapest I could get it

The other feature that's nice is the HP has built in wireless as well. Not a huge deal for many who like to use Ethernet, but a nice extra as well.

Gaspard

I wouldn't. They're nice for what they are. But you could probably spend a little bit more to get a monitor with Freesync, or a high refresh rate monitor. I'll look for a couple to recommend.

If you're looking in the same price range, and only really care about 60hz or so. You get more with Asus on something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Smaller 24" monitor TN, but 144hz and Freesync. $209.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's a page with a list of Freesync enabled monitors if you want adaptive sync with the card you get.

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/list-of-freesync-monitors/

There's a lot of options, shop around on Newegg and Amazon and use filters for the features that sound nice to you. I very much recommend high refresh rate monitors though!

Thanks for the recommendations! :)

Pretty great deal, minus the upgradability limitations. But really I'm hard pressed to be critical, that's really good. You'd be hunting for PC component deals for a while to get that through building yourself.

how does this compare to ps4pro ? or scorpio ?

Scorpio is impossible to say because we don't know what it is yet, but this PC is a step ahead of the PS4 Pro. You'd likely have few problems running any game the PS4 Pro can at equivalent settings with higher resolution (actual 4K in some cases), or better frame rate. Or you could crank up the graphical settings here and there.

Pretty great deal, minus the upgradability limitations

Scorpio is impossible to say because we don't know what it is yet, but this PC is a step ahead of the PS4 Pro. You'd likely have few problems running any game the PS4 Pro can at equivalent settings with higher resolution (actual 4K in some cases), or better frame rate. Or you could crank up the graphical settings here and there.

What limitations are you referring to? New to PC building.

What limitations are you referring to? New to PC building.

Some OEM motherboards have maximum RAM supported (might be capped at 16 GB or something) or don't support the full processor chipset (so an i5, or some model of the i5, could be the best you get, limiting you to 4 cores forever). The 300 watt power supply also might limit you if you wanted a more powerful card. You typically want to stay within 80% of the power supply's maximum power draw rating. The higher end GPUs would draw 150-200 watts, and the other components in the PC would use another 40-100 watts, putting you too close to the limit. The OEM motherboard may also have a proprietary connector for the power supply, meaning you can't just swap it out with another one.

I'm not speaking authoritatively here, I don't know about this specific model. For a first timer, I don't see any of these concerns as deal breakers unless you're planning on getting a 1080 or a 1080ti within two years.

Pretty great deal, minus the upgradability limitations

Another Brad Neely fan...

scrubsjd_turk-1.gif

Good point, I do wonder how big of an issue that really is long term. Chances are in 4-5 years you'd be looking at a completely new board andCPU anyway. The socket supports up to a 6700, which you could potentially grab in the interim if it were truly an issue. Given the very minor improvements we are seeing CPU wise over the last 4 years and potentially going forward, it's not necessarily an issue for a long while yet. It supports a full-size GPU, PSU is relatively easy and cheap to replace. So on and so forth. Not a bad place to start by any means. However, I'll agree for those regular upgraders like me, building yourself is probably a better bet, albeit more expensive.

Here's an option for those truly worried about it. Still ends up being a lot cheaper than building yourself.

Edit: Nevermind

bomblord1

Banned
Hey OP what are the limitations on this coupon? Just out of curiosity I tried to apply it to another build and it didn't work.

Another Brad Neely fan...

scrubsjd_turk-1.gif

Well well well, if it isn't...Softcastle Mccormick. Wink wink, Harry. Wink wink.

Good point, I do wonder how big of an issue that really is long term. Chances are in 4-5 years you'd be looking at a completely new board andCPU anyway. The socket supports up to a 6700, which you could potentially grab in the interim if it were truly an issue. Given the very minor improvements we are seeing CPU wise over the last 4 years and potentially going forward, it's not necessarily an issue for a long while yet. It supports a full-size GPU, PSU is relatively easy and cheap to replace. So on and so forth. Not a bad place to start by any means. However, I'll agree for those regular upgraders like me, building yourself is probably a better bet, albeit more expensive.

I started out on PC with a Dell using Core 2 Duos. I couldn't upgrade to the Quads, but then at that point it wasn't really cost effective to upgrade in that range anyway because once you cross over to the i5 Land of Promise, you'd have no processor troubles for years to come.

Considering where GPUs and CPUs are right now, the only thing I see this PC needing for the next few years is probably more RAM, which you'll have no problems swapping out.

Some OEM motherboards have maximum RAM supported (might be capped at 16 GB or something) or don't support the full processor chipset (so an i5, or some model of the i5, could be the best you get, limiting you to 4 cores forever). The 300 watt power supply also might limit you if you wanted a more powerful card. You typically want to stay within 80% of the power supply's maximum power draw rating. The higher end GPUs would draw 150-200 watts, and the other components in the PC would use another 40-100 watts, putting you too close to the limit. The OEM motherboard may also have a proprietary connector for the power supply, meaning you can't just swap it out with another one.

I'm not speaking authoritatively here, I don't know about this specific model. For a first timer, I don't see any of these concerns as deal breakers unless you're planning on getting a 1080 or a 1080ti within two years.

Hey OP what are the limitations on this coupon? Just out of curiosity I tried to apply it to another build and it didn't work.

Thanks, this is more helpful than you may know.

Courage

I got one of these prebuilt PCs and it served me well until I had to gut it and put everything in another case and replace the mobo and PSU with better parts. So I'd say it's worth it especially as an entry to PC gaming.

I got one of these prebuilt PCs and it served me well until I had to gut it and put everything in another case and replace the mobo and PSU with better parts. So I'd say it's worth it especially as an entry to PC gaming.

It reads like a critical post, but it has a very positive ending lol.

It's not too bad but makes me wonder how ryzen will lower prices for these builds if even considering the i5 6400 is on the low end of i5s.

It's not too bad but makes me wonder how ryzen will lower prices for these builds if even considering the i5 6400 is on the low end of i5s.

We don't really know what Ryzen will offer yet in their lower tiers. We know their monster high end supposedly stacks up against the 6900k. However, that being said, most people don't ever use anywhere near that kind of processing power. I think this is not a recommendation for the people who are looking to do a gaming/stream machine 2 in 1. Rendering rig, or things like that. Those people know what they need. The 6400 is a very solid processor for the vast majority of gaming.

Some OEM motherboards have maximum RAM supported (might be capped at 16 GB or something) or don't support the full processor chipset (so an i5, or some model of the i5, could be the best you get, limiting you to 4 cores forever). The 300-watt power supply also might limit you if you wanted a more powerful card. You typically want to stay within 80% of the power supply's maximum power draw rating. The higher end GPUs would draw 150-200 watts, and the other components in the PC would use another 40-100 watts, putting you too close to the limit. The OEM motherboard may also have a proprietary connector for the power supply, meaning you can't just swap it out with another one.

I'm going to look into if this guy can support the i7 6700/T.

63618e1604.png

Looks like it can. Seems it is limited to 16 GB ram though.

KillLaCam

Banned
Wow I was thinking about getting a 4k tv for my PS Pro but now that I see this I kinda want it instead.

Which one do you guys think would be more impressive? I have an alright gaming laptop from last year with the 960m and i7

Trigger pulled. God help me

Post some pictures of your setup once you get it. I'm curious as to the size, and what the internals look like (What kind of room you have to work with etc.)

Wow I was thinking about getting a 4k tv for my PS Pro but now that I see this I kinda want it instead.

Which one do you guys think would be more impressive? I have an alright gaming laptop from last year with the 960m and i7

I'm not sure what I7 your laptop has (Many i7 mobile are actually dual core, or paired down quad's, but usually clock speed matters more in performance of games. The 480 will absolutely trump the 960m though. That's what my laptop is as well, or was before I gave it to my brother. It works, but it's not even a competition. We're talking like 3x the performance on average. Not to mention the ability to upgrade down the line.

For an entry level gaming PC, you'll struggle to do better for that kind of money.

I'd argue an I5/480 takes this more into mid-level range. Or are we considering like an I5/1070 mid range? things got weird this time around.

I kind of think it's

i3-6100 + 1050ti or 470 entry level recommended min
i5 + 1060/480 Mid level
i5 or i7 + 1070 mid-high
i7+ 1080 high
i7 + Titan cocaine

Top Bottom