• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: HP, Intel I5 6400, RX 480, Windows 10, 1TB HDD/128 SSD $600/Free shipping.

The 580 is the primary reason for your wattage issue, that thing eats electricity like's nobody's business. According to PC Part Picker, the 480 uses 35 fewer watts, bringing the power down to 280W. I still wouldn't overclock the GPU without replacing the power supply first, but I would say that the build is safe out of the box.

Yeah I find it hard to imagine HP would sell a PC that wouldn't work out of the box.

GodofWine

The 580 is the primary reason for the wattage issue, that thing eats electricity like's nobody's business. According to PC Part Picker, the 480 uses 35 fewer watts, bringing the power down to 280W. I still wouldn't overclock the GPU without replacing the power supply first, but I would say that the build is safe out of the box.

Yea, I figured that inflated it some...still 280w on 300w PSU is way too much (it'll work I guess though)

This is another good (decent) deal on WOOT - pretty much on par with the HP, but with a 500w PSU, using a 1060 3GB as a 970 equivalent build cost is low $700's

http://computers.woot.com/offers/as...5-gtx-970-gaming-desktop-4?ref=cp_cnt_wp_18_8

The low RAM (both VRAM and on-board) kills any value it might have, in addition to the locked CPU that's likely worse than an entry level Ryzen 5. Most tempting if you want a PS4P competitor but I'm personally looking for 4-year proof hardware. I just got a $400 travel reimbursement, so while this is tempting, I'm smarter than that.

GodofWine

The low RAM (both VRAM and on-board) kills any value it might have, in addition to the locked CPU that's likely worse than an entry level Ryzen 5. Most tempting if you want a PS4P competitor but I'm personally looking for 4-year proof hardware. I just got a $400 travel reimbursement, so while this is tempting, I'm smarter than that.

If someone if looking for something pretty sweet to hookup to a 1080p monitor or two they have sitting around, this is a great deal.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend on a monitor that determines the value of this (or any) system. This will run 1080/60 High for years, and those are fine settings for most. If one needs to be pushing 1440 on high or better, then this will age fast.

How would something like this run games while streaming on Twitch? I heard you can offload streaming to the GPU, but most people have it on the CPU. If I wanted to run some games like Rocket League at really high frame rates and good detail and other more graphically intensive games at 1080/60, would this work while maintaining good performance for the actual streaming?

I haven't had a gaming PC in over 10 years, and I'm brand new to streaming. Just started messing around with it on my PS4.

Just got 4 friends back into PC gaming with this :D.

How would something like this run games while streaming on Twitch? I heard you can offload streaming to the GPU, but most people have it on the CPU. If I wanted to run some games like Rocket League at really high frame rates and good detail and other more graphically intensive games at 1080/60, would this work while maintaining good performance for the actual streaming?

I haven't had a gaming PC in over 10 years, and I'm brand new to streaming. Just started messing around with it on my PS4.

It really depends on the game, the nice thing is, while you'll suffer a small quality loss, you can offload the encoding strain to the IGPU on the 6400 with quick sync. For something like rocket league, even the CPU is probably ok to do both. There's a lot of guides out there to help you out with different setups.

You're not wrong, I generally recommend spending a little more for longevity and future proofing. But for a lot of people this is exactly what they want and they don't really do upgrades themselves, they just move to a new PC and sell their old one. Not to mention Ryzen 1600 is still half the price of the entire system here.

It really depends on the game, the nice thing is, while you'll suffer a small quality loss, you can offload the encoding strain to the IGPU on the 6400 with quick sync. For something like rocket league, even the CPU is probably ok to do both. There's a lot of guides out there to help you out with different setups.

Sounds great. Just pulled the trigger! I built my last computer about 10 years ago, maybe more. Didn't feel like messing with it this time. Just want to play these games in my backlog from Humble Monthly and Steam sales.

1080/60 is fine for most things, but do you think it's worth getting a 1440/144 freesync monitor? I'd only use 1440/144 for simpler games like Rocket League. Would that work? I really hope it does. If so, any monitors you'd recommend?

Can you purchase a warranty for this? Refurbished kind of scares me a warranty would make be good.

Square trade?

Sounds great. Just pulled the trigger! I built my last computer about 10 years ago, maybe more. Didn't feel like messing with it this time. Just want to play these games in my backlog from Humble Monthly and Steam sales.

1080/60 is fine for most things, but do you think it's worth getting a 1440/144 freesync monitor? I'd only use 1440/144 for simpler games like Rocket League. Would that work? I really hope it does. If so, any monitors you'd recommend?

Yea it will work fine, and even if you aren't playing the games over 100 frames etc. The smoothness of playing a 144hz monitor, even doing work, browsing etc is just great.

Depends on what you want to spend, I personally went that route because it's a bit more future proofed, and looks great. At 27" I personally don't think 4k is worth it. but 1440p is perfect pixel density (for me).

My recommendations for 144hz 1440p monitors are probably

Asus MG279Q if you can get it around $400-500

Mono price has this guy on sale right now, which is TN, but significantly cheaper, definitely going to be of lower quality than the top of the line monitors from Asus, Acer, BenQ etc. But I've heard decent things.

Lastly Nixeus revealed their own IPS 1440p, 144hz monitor, with 30-144hz Freesync support, which I believe is a first, at $400
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nixeus-27-ips-144hz-freesync-gaming-monitor
It's not quite out yet, but it sounds like they're slowly making a name for themselves on the gaming scene. Some solid impressions at CES.

for 1080 144hz you have
$240, positive feedback.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0131PBN6U/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://youtu.be/9rT9KFVAHvc

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0ZRR50/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As always, shop around a bit, look at different sites pricing, check slickdeals etc.

I think I'm going to stick to a 24" 1080 144Hz. Frame rate is more important to me coming from console. I'm thinking of going with the Viewsonic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0ZRR50/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's like half the cost of the computer, but I want really low input delay and high frame rate with freesync for stuff like Rocket League.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any other monitors I should consider?

The AOC one looks good but it's a 1-2 month wait on Amazon for it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
My HDMI/DP inputs are like that too. I was thinking of shaving them down, but they work as is so I probably won't mess with them until the warranty is up.

iosefe

i ended up shaving down the HDMI cable casing of that cable i bought so it fits better.

in hindsight, i think i should have just got a 10 dollar DisplayInput adapter.

realized that the other day, and judging by it, most might fit perfectly.

can you take a look at the back for me? remember those pictures i put of the small amount of space for the HDMI? want to see if it wasn't just me

803e53ab0f.png

Here you go.

iosefe

Came early, bringing one over to my buddies tomorrow, he's going to be so happy.

like, within 2 days early? same here. it was great.

as far as the case not giving enough clearance, that being the only real issue with this is great. i've really enjoyed mine

Ploid 3.0

Ah, this thread, the reason I jumped the gun on building/upgrading my PC. If I held out a bit longer I would swimming in Ryzen and maybe rx 580 or waiting on .. anyway I'm happy I got what I got, and I'm shocked this deal seems to still be going on. I was too impatient.

Last week I nearly finished filling out a complete new pc with buying a 650w fully modular power supply, and some case fans. Now I just need to upgrade the case and I'll have a totally new PC. I'm already thinking about getting Ryzen and a new motherboard again but I shall wait a few years. Hopefully my ram will be good with it when I do move. Kind of off topic, but I planned to gut the HP if I got in on the better deal before it ended.

And no, it's not basically a pro. It's a PC with more functionality than a console. It has a dedicated GPU that can be overclocked, a separate cpu, and a lot more flexibility in what you can improve on it (by changing some parts and a case).

Ah, this thread, the reason I jumped the gun on building/upgrading my PC. If I held out a bit longer I would swimming in Ryzen and maybe rx 580 or waiting on .. anyway I'm happy I got what I got, and I'm shocked this deal seems to still be going on. I was too impatient.

Last week I nearly finished filling out a complete new pc with buying a 650w fully modular power supply, and some case fans. Now I just need to upgrade the case and I'll have a totally new PC. I'm already thinking about getting Ryzen and a new motherboard again but I shall wait a few years. Hopefully my ram will be good with it when I do move. Kind of off topic, but I planned to gut the HP if I got in on the better deal before it ended.

And no, it's not basically a pro. It's a PC with more functionality than a console. It has a dedicated GPU that can be overclocked, a separate cpu, and a lot more flexibility in what you can improve on it (by changing some parts and a case).

My apologies it isn't on anymore, there was a short refurbished Woot sale for these where they were $450.

580 isn't a marked improvement from what we've seen. Just keep holding out and sell off your 480 later if you want to make that jump. The I5 6400 agreed doesn't hold up to the Ryzen 1600/1700 but it's also not as expensive and fine for most gaming. But yea, it's a really solid jumping off point.

Got mine last night, too. Wasn't expecting it until next week!

Didn't even have a monitor ready, so I have to wait until tomorrow. I'm getting the ViewSonic XG2401. I was waiting to see if it might go on sale before the Memorial Day holiday weekend, but had to pull the trigger. Couldn't wait a week without setting this up!

I'm excited all around, but also conflicted whether I should have waited to get one of the newer CPUs. Especially since I plan to stream while playing (which Ryzen would have helped with a lot). Oh well, I can offload streaming to the graphics card if needed. I'll be streaming mostly Rocket League anyway. And the computer was so cheap I can replace it in a few years if I need to--or give it to my son who will be in college by then.

iosefe

Didn't even have a monitor ready, so I have to wait until tomorrow. I'm getting the ViewSonic XG2401. I was waiting to see if it might go on sale before the Memorial Day holiday weekend, but had to pull the trigger. Couldn't wait a week without setting this up!

I'm excited all around, but also conflicted whether I should have waited to get one of the newer CPUs. Especially since I plan to stream while playing (which Ryzen would have helped with a lot). Oh well, I can offload streaming to the graphics card if needed. I'll be streaming mostly Rocket League anyway. And the computer was so cheap I can replace it in a few years if I need to--or give it to my son who will be in college by then.

i think OBS studio allows you to put stream processing on the GPU, which should make things easy. just gotta have good upload at that point

Yeah, I first heard about OBS being able to do that on a stream I follow. I've never used OBS though, so it will take me some time to figure it all out.

I've also read somewhere that it's a lot easier to do the streaming on Nvidia cards (using Shadowplay?) compared to AMD. But we'll see; maybe that's old or incorrect info.

I'm just happy to have a decent computer again. And my upload is pretty good. I have Fios and get at least 40 or 50Mbs I think. Not sure how that translates with OBS though. I know on PS4, it's still way lower than that (5-10 maybe?).

Can also offload to the integrated GPU on the CPU.

Just put in the 480 into my buddies PC. He was coming from a 660ti. Which was good for a long time. But the 480 he's playing total war ultra with like 80fps/ sync to 60. He's so damn excited.

Fuck this is SO tempting. But I have to hold off. I'm spending a lot of money this summer on a month-long backpacking trip so I'll have to save my PC splurge for sometime later this year or more likely next year. Still, so tempting. My PC is definitely showing signs of aging; I built it in 2013.

Jacobson

If anyone is curious I tried to make a build with equivalent specs and this is the ABSOLUTE cheapest I could get it

Edit: Once again I never recommend building these "cheap as you can possibly get" builds. Most of the parts here are of incredibly questionable quality. Also the GPU should technically fit but it will be a tight squeeze. Although I'm not sure why you would in the first place when the HP is a better deal.

I was able to save a few dollars by using a mobo with built in wifi.

Those parts look ok to me.

Yeah, I first heard about OBS being able to do that on a stream I follow. I've never used OBS though, so it will take me some time to figure it all out.

I've also read somewhere that it's a lot easier to do the streaming on Nvidia cards (using Shadowplay?) compared to AMD. But we'll see; maybe that's old or incorrect info.

I'm just happy to have a decent computer again. And my upload is pretty good. I have Fios and get at least 40 or 50Mbs I think. Not sure how that translates with OBS though. I know on PS4, it's still way lower than that (5-10 maybe?).

You can use Radeon ReLive, it's practically the same thing as Shadowplay.

My order showed up and I hooked it up, but I can't get a display. Using an HDMI and I've tried hooking it up to a tv and a monitor and I get no signal. I feel like an idiot =/ any ideas?

My order showed up and I hooked it up, but I can't get a display. Using an HDMI and I've tried hooking it up to a tv and a monitor and I get no signal. I feel like an idiot =/ any ideas?
The hdmi and displayports on the back are right above this little metal ridge. It's often hard to get the plug to seat in there properly. I had an old hdmi cable with a long enough plug to easily fit. But the plug on my displayport cable only fit when I really pushed it hard.

I would suggest pushing a little harder to make sure it's all the way in. Otherwise try a different hdmi cable.

I think there are other hdmi ports that have little plastic coverings further down. Though I'm not sure if they are actually there or just placeholders.

The hdmi and displayports on the back are right above this little metal ridge. It's often hard to get the plug to seat in there properly. I had an old hdmi cable with a long enough plug to easily fit. But the plug on my displayport cable only fit when I really pushed it hard.

I would suggest pushing a little harder to make sure it's all the way in. Otherwise try a different hdmi cable.

I think there are other hdmi ports that have little plastic coverings further down. Though I'm not sure if they are actually there or just placeholders.

Oh fart, I did see those ports and I did try plugging the HDMI in there but it was awkward and I wasn't forcing it. I'll give it another go later then with those other ports! Thanks!

oSoLucky

That's incredibly defensive based on a pretty harmless quote.

Low ram, weak psu, malware (mcafee, win10). This build is not so good.

You're calling W10 and McAfee(which can be uninstalled) malware? Lol

The point isn't to be a mid-high end competitive build, that should be obvious for the price. Mostly anyone looking for a budget entry level PC to game with will do just fine with this. That's the purpose of settings. Now, I always personally advise to spend a bit more for future proofing but you can't count someone else's pockets.

Well a fun heads up for those who bought this system at any point. Especially great for those who bought it on the sweet $450 deal. Due to the surge in crypto currency prices the value on AMD RX 470/80 570/80 cards has skyrocketed. I sold a 480 4GB card yesterday for $270. They are going for anywhere from $230+ on average. I'd recommend seriously considering

A. Selling them to finance a more powerful card (Free/cheap upgrade!)

B. Get to mining. (I'm mostly kidding). Although I did create a mining rig as I have a few RX 480 cards from grabbing a few of those PC's during the deal.

Top Bottom