• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: HP, Intel I5 6400, RX 480, Windows 10, 1TB HDD/128 SSD $600/Free shipping.

MaxiLive

Ploid 3.0

It's $599.99 again (after coupon)

Coupon code: HVR150

Man I played myself, I'm ok though, but if I got this instead of upgrade my machine I wouldn't need to buy a new computer case and powersupply to house my old computer parts. Also one of the rams I bought was dead so I had to send it back and I'm currently playing with only 1 ddr4 4gb ram for now. The simplicity of just buying the box is a good thing.

Ploid 3.0

Good god I want to pull the trigger on this again, but I keep thinking that this one on amazon, despite $100 premium offers way more future potential with a big case, twice the wattage and probably overall better internals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNBLHAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or...I just wait a few months like I really intended to, and prices fall. Ryzen release..etc.

Yeah that's a great PC especially for upgrading later. Ryzen may change everything, so if you can stand to wait, it may be a very good idea. I couldn't wait, but I also didn't know anything about Ryzen before.

Good god I want to pull the trigger on this again, but I keep thinking that this one on amazon, despite $100 premium offers way more future potential with a big case, twice the wattage and probably overall better internals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNBLHAA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or...I just wait a few months like I really intended to, and prices fall. Ryzen release..etc.

I think going this route instead would be a better idea. Should be really easy to sell that second GPU for $120-150.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Seems the coupon ends tomorrow and I can't decide if I want to take the plunge. How is the fan noise at idle and in use? My last PC was a loud motherfucker.

Gaspard

Seems the coupon ends tomorrow and I can't decide if I want to take the plunge. How is the fan noise at idle and in use? My last PC was a loud motherfucker.

Idle it's pretty quiet. If the game is older (Portal 2) there isn't a noticable fan pickup. But RE7 maxed has a decently loud whirrr.

Also waffling on this computer. Anyone see a better deal coming up later in the year? I have a hard time justifying a purchase this early in the year ...

Edit: Took the plunge. I know this is a good deal, I kept watching the one from last year but didn't have the money. This was just low enough.

So uh, I haven't had a desktop computer in years, nor have I ever built a computer before. Is this box upgradeable? Could I in the future upgrade any of the parts, (other than the obvious RAM and SSD/HDD upgrades)

So guy, it's been a few weeks since the thread went up. Those who received their computers and who have been using them. What are your thoughts?

What do you like, what don't you like? Plans for your computer. How are your setups looking etc.

Also waffling on this computer. Anyone see a better deal coming up later in the year? I have a hard time justifying a purchase this early in the year ...

Edit: Took the plunge. I know this is a good deal, I kept watching the one from last year but didn't have the money. This was just low enough.

So uh, I haven't had a desktop computer in years, nor have I ever built a computer before. Is this box upgradeable? Could I in the future upgrade any of the parts, (other than the obvious RAM and SSD/HDD upgrades)

May want to switch to a new case way down the line. But yea you can upgrade the GPU just measure and make sure a new one isn't too long or tall. The PSU I think is a slim? Did we ever confirm that? Provided the Mobo is just a micro ATX that should be swappable too later.

So guy, it's been a few weeks since the thread went up. Those who received their computers and who have been using them. What are your thoughts?

What do you like, what don't you like? Plans for your computer. How are your setups looking etc.

May want to switch to a new case way down the line. But yea you can upgrade the GPU just measure and make sure a new one isn't too long or tall. The PSU I think is a slim? Did we ever confirm that? Provided the Mobo is just a micro ATX that should be swappable too later.

I'm new to PC gaming, but so far I've not had any issues. I haven't really played anything besides Civ VI and Tales of Berseria. So far so good with those titles.

As far as the computer itself, it's very quiet. Windows loads up in seconds. I do install my games on the media drive and not the SSD. The keyboard is a little cramped in my opinion. The mouse that came with the computer sucks, but thankfully I already had another mouse.

I'm new to PC gaming, but so far I've not had any issues. I haven't really played anything besides Civ VI and Tales of Berseria. So far so good with those titles.

As far as the computer itself, it's very quiet. Windows loads up in seconds. I do install my games on the media drive and not the SSD. The keyboard is a little cramped in my opinion. The mouse that came with the computer sucks, but thankfully I already had another mouse.

Yea not too surprising about the M/K. It's just serviceable usually. Good to hear it's working or for you though. Any games coming up you're thinking might really push you PC?

bomblord1

Banned
Anyone who bough this.

What does the MOBO look like. Is it a standard size or no?

How many Ram Slots does it have?

Any pictures?

edit: I see that was answered in the OP in an edit nvm

Did anyone figure out what was going on with that 8 GB of VRAM that was showing up on the RX480?

My computer is supposed to arrive friday 👌

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
came in today

vs ps4
uhwKeLv.jpg

psu

the opening for the video ports really is stupidly designed, but my cable works

that heatsink kink

N4eZMCl.png

Wow, you got yours a day earlier than me. Nice!

Is it possible for us to swap out the PSU? I'm new to the whole owning a desktop thing and a lot of people have been saying for me to install a new 500W one or else it may not run 100%...

I'd also like to know. It looks like it can be swapped but I want to know if it's a full sized PSU of a Slimline.

Ploid 3.0

Ah, looks like you did have this pc. Saw your question in the PC thread. I wonder if people were able to upgrade the PSU as well, even though I didn't get this PC.

kuYuri

If I want to just play various Indy titles and last-gen games like Bayonetta and Vanquish, is this $450 rig good enough?

More than good enough. Bayonetta can run on a toaster apparently and if that's an indication, Vanquish will run just as well too.

You can easily run most of the latest games on high or ultra settings 1080p/60fps, with some other high end games requiring tweaks here and there.

More than good enough. Bayonetta can run on a toaster apparently and if that's an indication, Vanquish will run just as well too.

You can easily run most of the latest games on high or ultra settings 1080p/60fps, with some other high end games requiring tweaks here and there.

Thank you, bought!

GodofWine

Perfect. I've been meaning to pick up a replacement PC for my parents' aging computer. Just need to pick up a little beefier power supply. Will have to verify with PC part picker but 300W seems to be cutting it a little close

I think pc part picker puts this at 310w!! So that PSU is scary low. As long as it can be swapped without a fight (some HP's are weird, I assume this one isn't but cannot confirm), for $30 a 430-450w PSU makes it a much better PC.

I totally just impulse purchased this lol so you'll let me know if I should invest in a better power supply. I'm not a pc guy and don't know shit haha!

goober

Don't know if it's been mentioned but there's a top post on reddit right now about how HP are shipping Keyloggers into their Audio Drivers. Just a heads up

thanks for the heads up, looked into it further and in that thread there's a link to known affected units.

Systems known to be affected:

According to HP information in sp79420.html, the following systems
are affected:

* HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP EliteBook 820 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 828 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 848 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 850 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 640 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 650 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 645 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 655 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 450 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 430 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 440 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 446 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 470 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 455 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 725 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 745 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 755 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 1030 G1 Notebook PC
HP ZBook 15u G3 Mobile Workstation
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 with Travel Keyboard
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Advanced Keyboard
HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G3 Notebook PC
HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation
HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation
HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC

this isn't listed so it seems ok? who knows

Ruff

thanks for the heads up, looked into it further and in that thread there's a link to known affected units.

Systems known to be affected:

According to HP information in sp79420.html, the following systems
are affected:

* HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP EliteBook 820 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 828 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 848 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 850 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 640 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 650 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 645 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 655 G2 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 450 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 430 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 440 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 446 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 470 G3 Notebook PC
HP ProBook 455 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 725 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 745 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 755 G3 Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 1030 G1 Notebook PC
HP ZBook 15u G3 Mobile Workstation
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 with Travel Keyboard
HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Advanced Keyboard
HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G3 Notebook PC
HP ZBook 17 G3 Mobile Workstation
HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation
HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation
HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC

this isn't listed so it seems ok? who knows

Yes it seems to be in the clear right now but you never know with automatic updates and the like. So being aware is the best practice! :)

GodofWine

Real rough build cost for that WOOT deal - could shave a few bucks off it, but its an easy $700 build. (I put a 580 in this one, since you can't really find a 480 now)

The wattage is over 300 though, this really needs a better PSU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - H110I PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($198.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung - SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($23.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.33 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: V7 - M30P20-7N Wired Optical Mouse ($4.35 @ Amazon)
Total: $764.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-11 13:24 EDT-0400

Real rough build cost for that WOOT deal - could shave a few bucks off it, but its an easy $700 build. (I put a 580 in this one, since you can't really find a 480 now)

The wattage is over 300 though, this really needs a better PSU

The 580 is the primary reason for your wattage issue, that thing eats electricity like's nobody's business. According to PC Part Picker, the 480 uses 35 fewer watts, bringing the power down to 280W. I still wouldn't overclock the GPU without replacing the power supply first, but I would say that the build is safe out of the box.

Top Bottom