• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: HP, Intel I5 6400, RX 480, Windows 10, 1TB HDD/128 SSD $600/Free shipping.

To answer the OP's question. Isn't HPI just HP's branding for internally produced licensed cards? I assume it's pretty much just AMD's reference design.

Would seem to fall in line with the product information saying it's a full size card. I've just never seen HPI. If it's a reference card why bother calling it HPI?

SURGEdude

Would seem to fall in line with the product information saying it's a full size card. I've just never seen HPI. If it's a reference card why bother calling it HPI?

I mean it sounds silly, I agree. That said reference only designs aren't totally uncommon. I've gotten a few of them for XFX in the past that matched cards demoed, Apple also used to do it quite a bit especially in PPC era with different firmware. That said HPI isn't listed as an AMD licensee so I'm wondering if it's just a way to brand the card to look like it's externally produced and give it more weight. Not sure why anybody in the market for a PC like this would care though.

Honestly I can't think of any reason that isn't silly so I'm gonna go with full reference design but HP silicon branded.

If anybody grabs one I'd love to see a GPUz report, just in case they decide to offer another config down the line which might be more in line with the kind of desktop I tend to get questions about.

Rizific

Man, all of you that are about to jump into pc gaming with this rig...I wish I could experience that again. The price just makes it sweeter. You guys are in for a treat! Next set your sights on a high refresh rate monitor.

Man, all of you that are about to jump into pc gaming with this rig...I wish I could experience that again. The price just makes it sweeter. You guys are in for a treat! Next set your sights on a high refresh rate monitor.

So cheap on Freesync too.

TN and 1080p but still

$209.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Can be adjusted to do 35-144hz Freesync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/465q55/freesync_on_the_aoc_g2460pf/

I have an MG279Q IPS 1440p Freesync monitor I can't use because I have a 1070 :/

Alastor3

How much would it cost to import it?

For exemple, for 600$ US it's around 750$ Canadian, but the problem is, when I go to the website, it only show the US website meaning my credit card probably won't work on the website or the shipping adress wont and even if it work im gonna loose the free shipping

ST2K

Bought.

My old gaming PC has been hacking up dust and blood for a while now and I'm extremely wary of actually building one from scratch. This seems perfect.

Kind of sucks this happened at the same time Switch is going to go up for pre-order, one assumes.

NightStalkerCB

Neo Member
The PSU seems like it would be easy to replace though.

If the PSU used in this build is a standard PSU. Most likely its a proprietary PSU from the manufacturer of this computer build. There's a chance that an aftermarket PSU will not fit or connect in this computer. You would then need to go to the manufacturer and hope they offer something bigger at a respectable price.

iosefe

Price went up to $650 after the code. Tax will put it close to $695.

really, the computer jsut returned to it's original price. it had a discount of 50, and the code did stack with it, giving a total of 200 off.

definitely should update OP to reflect this

Rizific

If the PSU used in this build is a standard PSU. Most likely its a proprietary PSU from the manufacturer of this computer build. There's a chance that an aftermarket PSU will not fit or connect in this computer. You would then need to go to the manufacturer and hope they offer something bigger at a respectable price.

Someone on slickdeals said it had a standard 24 pin connector. Not sure if accurate though.

Someone on slickdeals said it had a standard 24 pin connector. Not sure if accurate though.

Seems to be, at least from the pictures I linked earlier.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...s/12079680/model/14444182/document/c05325469/

7efcf8efb9.png

ff3d20181c.png

Price went up to $650 after the code. Tax will put it close to $695.

really, the computer jsut returned to it's original price. it had a discount of 50, and the code did stack with it, giving a total of 200 off.

definitely should update OP to reflect this

It sucks this went up $50. I about pulled the trigger last night, but I've got to see this Switch presentation first.

I just updated the OP to reflect this. I guess it must be selling well.

Ploid 3.0

It sucks this went up $50. I about pulled the trigger last night, but I've got to see this Switch presentation first.

I didn't pull the trigger as well, I wanted to at least see the guts at least (how things looked inside the case). I'm ok with it though, I'm currently doing well with my PC. This deal had me teetering between buy and nah, but with $50 extra I'm back to nope.

I'm looking forward to full building and seeing what new stuff is out this year as far as hardware. I actually like overclocking things so my hands would have been very tied with this. It always seem better to postpone a upgrade or new build to me, especially with this new console cycle not challenging things too much.

iosefe

Here are 4 pictures, soda cans and bottle for comparison

http://imgur.com/a/Qfukd

2 USB2, 3 USB 3. another port on the front but didn't check which. HDMI ports have caps in them. i assume they are useless?

i should probaly get a monitor with Display Port

*edit* has a 3.0 and a type C on the front

Ploid 3.0

Here are 4 pictures, soda cans and bottle for comparison

http://imgur.com/a/Qfukd

2 USB2, 3 USB 3. another port on the front but didn't check which. HDMI ports have caps in them. i assume they are useless?

i should probaly get a monitor with Display Port

*edit* has a 3.0 and a type C on the front

I actually jumped in shock when I saw the last picture was a inside shot. Thanks. Maybe I'll eat the extra 50, I even thought it would be as bad as not being able to add extra hard drives inside the case (silly, but the last premade pc I saw could only fit the one it had already).

It also seems like airflow won't be much of a problem. The graphics card seems like it has a huge fan on it too.

It's attached to the round heat sink. There's probably no real level bracket for it to be mounted on the CPU or no four pins for the fan to be connected to the heat sink.

But where and how....

I can't see any screws in the conventional corners of the 120mm fan.

The big question still is the PSU though. You can definitely remove it from what it looks like. But is it a standard size or slim profile PSU?

Ploid 3.0

But where and how....

I can't see any screws in the conventional corners of the 120mm fan.

The big question still is the PSU though. You can definitely remove it from what it looks like. But is it a standard size or slim profile PSU?

The screws are probably only attached to the bottom holes of the fan. That, a type of clip, or superglue.

iosefe

Leaving work soon. Gonna swing by a store for a new hdmi cable with a longer connector, then take pictures of the power supply

iosefe

OK, of to a great start.

I needed to get a new HDMI cable to fit, longer connector, and the guy was soo cagey about return policy should it not work. he also didn't tell me a price and preyed on my need to get that specific kind of cable. also no refunds allowed, only exchanges

i got played for a 90 dollar cable. BUT IT FITS. i'm not as mad as i could be.

Close ups of the Power Supply:
http://imgur.com/a/8sgmC

time to install all the relevant programs. steam is easy to set up for a second drive right? and no, i dont feel like disconnecting the power supply

*EDIT*

AMD game verification pulled through, choices are as follows:
Hitman
Dirt 3
Saints IV
Sonic Racing
guacamelee
Napoleon: Total War
Civ: Beyond Earth
Dirt Rally
Ashes of the Singularity
Winning Putt, which i thought was F2P
Banner Saga 2
Total Warhammer
DOOM
Civ 6
and 3 other indie games that don't matter as much

considering DOOM, Civ 6, of Ashes of the Singularity

Ploid 3.0

time to install all the relevant programs. steam is easy to set up for a second drive right? and no, i dont feel like disconnecting the power supply

Yeah, you can have multiple steam enabled drives at the same time. You have to create a steam library folder on the drive before you pick the drive to install the games on first.

/jaw on floor....

OK, of to a great start.

I needed to get a new HDMI cable to fit, longer connector, and the guy was soo cagey about return policy should it not work. he also didn't tell me a price and preyed on my need to get that specific kind of cable. also no refunds allowed, only exchanges

Close ups of the Power Supply:
http://imgur.com/a/8sgmC

*EDIT*

AMD game verification pulled through, choices are as follows:

considering DOOM, Civ 6, of Ashes of the Singularity

RETURN that HDMI cable!. Order another, and then claim it didn't fit or work etc.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14196

As for games, I'd recommend Civ 6 or Total War Warhammer. Doom is a great choice, but a cheaper title so it would be easier to get separately.

iosefe

RETURN that HDMI cable, order another, and then claim it didn't fit or work etc.

As for games, I'd recommend Civ 6 or Total War Warhammer. Doom is a great choice, but a cheaper title so it would be easier to get separately.

i'm gonna hold the L. i didn't even ask how much it costs, so thats on me. also they have a no refund, only Exchange policy

went for Civ 6

Top Bottom