• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: HP, Intel I5 6400, RX 480, Windows 10, 1TB HDD/128 SSD $600/Free shipping.

i'm gonna hold the L. i didn't even ask how much it costs, so thats on me. also they have a no refund, only Exchange policy

went for Civ 6

Couldn't you have taken the IO shield off? Whatever, hindsight is 20/20.

You could exchange it for some necessary software like Office.

EDIT: didn't look at the post properly. Obviously it's the GPU HDMI port you're referring to.

Mine doesn't ship until Monday. :(

But I wonder. That's the first time I've heard of an HDMI connector being too short. I'm completely noobish to PC gaming and PC components in general. So I purchase a 144Hz monitor with FreeSync. Do I need an HDMI cable or DisplayPort cable? I apologize for the beginner questions. Also, I install games on the HDD, and leave the OS for the SSD, correct?

Thank you OP. I been looking for a decent gaming PC for my first real gaming PC so I grabbed it. Every other pre-built PC with comparable specs I looked at was at least a couple hundred dollars more expensive.

iosefe

Looking at the pictures you posted it doesn't look like a reference 480. Doubt it's possible, sorry.

i looked it up, it wasn't just reference models, certain retail ones as well.

what this means is i'd have to remove it and physically inspect it. but it does seems promising with DXdag saying 8115 aproximate total memory

iosefe

i got the memory info program, it's samsung, but it isn't showing a Memory name/ID

memory density is 128MX32, Width 256, Channel size 32, 8 channels

I REALLY don't wanna open the card

Decent deal, but it doesn't touch the previous HP Envy Deal, in my opinion. I purchased this puppy mid last year and it's a real beast. Not to rain on this deal's parade, it's still a damn price point at 600 bucks though.

Decent deal, but it doesn't touch the previous HP Envy Deal, in my opinion. I purchased this puppy mid last year and it's a real beast. Not to rain on this deal's parade, it's still a damn price point at 600 bucks though.

It's half the price for about 70% of the performance if I'm being completely honest. This is actually better value than that deal technically. I agree it was a great deal as well, but I've actually seenn better deals in that price range on Slickdeals recently. There was a 6700 with a 1080 for $999, or maybe $1100.

Ploid 3.0

Since I missed the $600 ride, I just bought a Kaby non K processor, a MB, Ram, and a Rx 480 8gig to be able to get the feel, but sadly not a extra PC out of it. I will maybe buy another case and other parts later to make it into two PCs with the spare parts from my current PC.

I don't know if the i5 7500 is worth getting over the 6th gen but it looked cheap enough. Maybe I'll be able to hang onto this a little bit longer. I just noticed my last GPU was bought 2 years ago. I kind of regret getting this new one.

And today is the last day for that code, so, it's allmost over. It's been a pleasure hanging out with you all, waiting on pictures of this beast in the wild haha. I hope iosefe tagged those images for future generations. They shouldn't have to search so hard for sightings.

Ploid 3.0

Oh wow, I mixed up the 3 and 1 in 31 somehow the first time I saw it. It has a long way to go, my bad.

qXZ6uo5.jpg

It would be funny if the $600 price point comes back. I have no patience.

I got it today. My computer shipped earlier than I expected. I'm overwhelmed, but excited about getting into PC gaming. I'm wondering what game I should get with the voucher.

I got it today. My computer shipped earlier than I expected. I'm overwhelmed, but excited about getting into PC gaming. I'm wondering what game I should get with the voucher.

If you like strategy games. Civ 6 or Total War Warhammer.

Doom if you aren't a fan of those if you don't already have it.

Or you could always just sell the game/voucher.

If you like strategy games. Civ 6 or Total War Warhammer.

Doom if you aren't a fan of those if you don't already have it.

Or you could always just sell the game/voucher.

I feel like a total noob, even though I have a PS4 and XB1. I have a lot of catching up to do PC side. I've had my eye on Civ 6 so I will go for that. Thanks for the reply.

Zizbuka

Banned
Would this be a decent upgrade for my system? I'm thinking my PC could go to my son if so.

Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
12 GB RAM
Radeon R9 270
Windows 10 Home

Ploid 3.0

Would this be a decent upgrade for my system? I'm thinking my PC could go to my son if so.

Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
12 GB RAM
Radeon R9 270
Windows 10 Home

Only the graphics card would be better, maybe if you get it, just take the graphics card, and give your son the new HP pc with your old card. Also if you don't have a SSD drive, nab that too, install windows 10 on his somehow, see if you can clone the windows 10 from the SSD to the HDD.

Still worth it at the normal price and the coupon (~$695 after tax)?

EDIT: Meh, ordered anyway. Computer died and this seems to be a good enough replacement.

goober

is it worth getting a freesync monitor for this gpu? what would a freesync monitor provide over a normal 1080p monitor?

is it worth getting a freesync monitor for this gpu? what would a freesync monitor provide over a normal 1080p monitor?

Definitely, adaptive sync I honestly think is most useful for the mid tier GPU's that may get occasional drops at the 60fps target. Which is why I'm adamant about Nvidia adopting it so more gamers and not just the wealthiest can benefit. Just check and make sure whatever you're looking at has Low Framerate Compensation as well which mean when it drops below the range covered by the Freesync it continues to help with smoothing.. A nice 144hz freesync with a good freesync range and LFC is actually very reasonable

https://youtu.be/5Ey-KObDABI

Gaspard

Strolling through my steam list is like a whole new world now. Five year old school laptop days are over.

I got the Nixeus monitor OP recommended me and Freesync works great!

DOTA yasss u look so good mahmah!

Rizific

Computer coming in today, very excited!

Is 144hz supported across most games? New to this.

for the most part, yes. most games dont have a dumb ass fps cap in place. though some capped fps games have work-arounds to remove them. two that i came across recently are ori and the blind forest and metal gear v. both have ways to remove the cap.

ST2K

Got mine the other day, and I'm very satisfied. It's easy to forget how nice it is to have a PC that can play things at high framerates.

Tabasco

Is it acceptable to pair this PC with a 1080p/60Hz monitor, or would that waste the potential of what the graphics card can do?

goober

is it worth getting 144hz refresh rate with freesync? i'm trying to compare monitors while still be within my budget but i'm wondering if it's worth the extra money.

i have a 60hz, 75hz, and 144hz in mind all with freesync but i'd just like to know

Is it acceptable to pair this PC with a 1080p/60Hz monitor, or would that waste the potential of what the graphics card can do?

The top of the line AAA games will run at 1080/60 maxed out, or close. You could get a 1440p for slightly older games or drop the graphics settings on those new titles. 4K at 30 fps should be doable, 60 fps for older games.

I'd say 1080p is good enough for now, unless you're starting to feel that resolution's age.

I am curious to know if this monitor and this HDMI cable would be a good budget option to add to this PC.

That monitor seems fine, nothing too fancy or big but reasonable.

Any HDMI cable would do the job. The AmazonBasic brand is fine. Monoprice is a good place to buy cables as well, if you need more than just one HDMI cable it'll be much cheaper.

iosefe

Speccy rundown

Manufacturer ATI
Model Radeon RX 480
Device ID 1002-67DF
Revision C8
Subvendor HP (103C)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Current GPU Clock 1266 MHz
Current Memory Clock 1950 MHz
Current Shader Clock 1950 MHz
Voltage 0.580 V
Technology 14 nm
GPU Clock 1266.0 MHz
Temperature 82 °C
Core Voltage 0.580 V
Driver version 16.300.2501.1004
BIOS Version 113-EXT10989-001
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory 4096 MB
Bandwidth 249.6 GB/s

the revision matches the R 7 and 9 series. hmmm

chrislowe

Mine doesn't ship until Monday. :(

But I wonder. That's the first time I've heard of an HDMI connector being too short. I'm completely noobish to PC gaming and PC components in general. So I purchase a 144Hz monitor with FreeSync. Do I need an HDMI cable or DisplayPort cable? I apologize for the beginner questions. Also, I install games on the HDD, and leave the OS for the SSD, correct?

I bought a cheapish case and when I was gonna connect my rx480 with hdmi the chassie had too thick metal for the connector so it was too short.
But i took a tool and fixed the metal on the chassie.

Top Bottom