• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heatseeker Soars to Wii - First Screens

Dante

sp0rsk said:
I dunno about you guys, but I'm buying a wii for excite truck. Excite truck will be the system seller this year, just you wait!

It's all about Mario Galaxy, and Virtual Console for me. Actually VC is like my main reason for wanting the Wii.

sp0rsk said:
I dunno about you guys, but I'm buying a wii for excite truck. Excite truck will be the system seller this year, just you wait!

If it either has sensitivity options or the current control scheme just takes practice to master, this game looks dam polished and dam exciting.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
PhoenixDark said:
Either Matt's shoddy journalism skills were exposed there, or the developer doesn't know the difference between the PS2 and Wii:lol

:lol I thought thats what you meant. lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Christopher said:
...what is so good about excite truck?

Why did you stop trying to be an ot superstar and turn into a "i dont get it! you nerds are so strange!" gimmick?

1248786903_l.jpg

Hollywood has lied to me yet again!

SantaC

chespace said:
Let's face it, Nintendo Wii is going to be just like every Nintendo console since SNES -- you're buying it primarily for the first-party titles and that's about it.

you mean since N64. Snes had great 3rd party support.

SantaC

Pimpbaa said:
Indeed. Most of my favorite games on the Snes were 3rd party.

same here. Contra III, Cybernator, Zombies ate my neighbor, the FF games, Mega Man X etc. The 3rd party list is endless.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
SantaC said:

n64 succeeded as much as it did partially to 3rd party stuff as well, I bet you if the 64 wwf games were pieces of dog shit the system would have dropped atleast 4mill in sales. It was the combination of Goldeneye and WWF that put the 64 in the place it was in. Gamecube unfortunately had nether going for it.

Christopher

sp0rsk said:
Why did you stop trying to be an ot superstar and turn into a "i dont get it! you nerds are so strange!" gimmick?

Next gen hype is just getting to me, so I've been venturing over to the "dark side" :(

sp0rsk said:
n64 succeeded as much as it did partially to 3rd party stuff as well, I bet you if the 64 wwf games were pieces of dog shit the system would have dropped atleast 4mill in sales. It was the combination of Goldeneye and WWF that put the 64 in the place it was in. Gamecube unfortunately had nether going for it.

GoldenEye wasn't a third party title.

I doubt third parties had any influence on the N64's preformance. Second parties with western themed games did far more for that console. The Gamecube didn't have titles like Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, or Killer Instinct, all of which were provided by Rare. Also at that time Pokemon was so big that even the console versions were selling millions upon millions; that didn't happen with the Gamecube either.

SantaC

sp0rsk said:

yeah I guess. The N64 sold a lot more than Gamecube, but it didn't had Xbox around back then. Then again, SEGA was around with their console(s).

ZeoVGM

Banned
chespace said:
Let's face it, Nintendo Wii is going to be just like every Nintendo console since
-- you're buying it primarily for the first-party titles and that's about it.

.. uh, didn't you like work for a gaming site?

GC had RE4. Are we going to see anything of that caliber from 3rd parties on Wii?

We're not going to see anything of that caliber on Xbox 360 either.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
SantaC said:

So I meant since SNES as in, since the end of the SNES domination era. Sorry. :)

Speevy

Banned
I'm pretty tolerant of current gen. graphics at this point. God of War, Ninja Gaiden, Conker, Forza, RSC2, GT4 Resident Evil 4, Rogue Leader, Metal Gear Solid 3. I'd like to see the quality of Wii graphics improve.

SantaC

chespace said:
So I meant since SNES as in, since the end of the SNES domination era. Sorry. :)

ah yeah np. You getting a Wii btw?

I guess you want to play those 1st party games

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
SantaC said:
ah yeah np. You getting a Wii btw?

I guess you want to play those 1st party games

I'm getting all next-gen consoles.

Don't know if Sony will let me have a PS3 in 2006, but we'll see.

StevieP said:
Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Both possibilities exist equally. Weren't we talking about this Wii airplane game?

RE5 will rock as long as they use the same RE4 camera/third person view. So many cool things can be added to that foundation.

-Fast zombies? That suggests there will also be bigger/faster/more powerful weapons to balance things out
-Heat system, which sounds cool
-Big ass bosses
:)

Wow I wonder what Namco could do on Wii. Ace Combat IV already looks and plays great. All they have to do is change the controls, enhance the graphics and it would be an AAA game on Wii.

Doom_Bringer said:
Wow I wonder what Namco could do on Wii. Ace Combat IV already looks and plays great. All they have to do is change the controls, enhance the graphics and it would be an AAA game on Wii.

preach it brother

I think the screenshots in the first posting are all from the PS2-build of the game, Codemasters has published only one picture of the Wii-version and that shows a clearly different HUD.

1019.jpg

You can find more screenshots of the PS2-version here if you like to compare.

I'm not a fan of the Wii screenshot-bashing, particularly considering it's quite obvious that many devs are half-assing ports and using current-gen design instead of taking advantage of the new hardware features, but this game looks atrocious. The texturing on some of the scenery is sub-Dreamcast level, and the geometry/lighting is none too impressive either.

Frankly its embarassing to witness these devs single-handedly humiliate the console by releasing shots of this garbage. I think we've yet to see a title that even begins to push the preliminary boundaries of the hardware, and while it will obviously never reach 360-caliber levels of detail, lookers like Excite Truck and Mario Galaxy provide a glimpse into some of the potential the hardware possesses. Lets hope the rest of the dev community catches on quick and starts upping the detail and actually taking advantage of the improved texturing, physics, and lighting capabilities of the system. Because I'm sick of coming into these threads and being offended by these sh*tty looking titles..

EDIT: OK Tenshi, THAT looks more like what I'm talking about. Lets hope you're right..

Jiyuu Tenshi said:
I think the screenshots in the first posting are all from the PS2-build of the game, Codemasters has published only one picture of the Wii-version and that shows a clearly different HUD.

1019.jpg

Well that is much better, thank god.

Rocked

Wii version looks nice. :)

3rd parties can do well on Wii, but I think if they want a huge hit they'll have to follow Nintendo's strategy of targetting everyone and try to expand out of the "generic rage and big guns for teenage boys" model they're so fond of. And start advertising outside the gaming press like Nintendo does. A lot of the people buying Nintendogs and Animal Crossing (at least in the UK) don't really have brand loyalty IMO. Many probably don't even know what 1st party and 3rd party mean.

etiolate

Banned
SantaC said:
yeah I guess. The N64 sold a lot more than Gamecube, but it didn't had Xbox around back then. Then again, SEGA was around with their console(s).

Yeah, but Sega's consoles didn't target the sort of audience that bought Goldeneye and Wrestling, which Microsoft and the Xbox did.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jiyuu Tenshi said:

1019.jpg

This thread just got ****ing saved. That Wii shot looks ****ing TIGHT.

Jiyuu Tenshi said:

1019.jpg

Wow, can't tell what's going on in the background, but that plane model is smooth as.

The game is supposed to be really fast (at least, according to the hyped-up PR guy) so I would expect 60fps.

Why would that screen be called a bullshot?

CorwinB

StevieP said:
Ah, the anti-nintendo orgy strikes again.

While there is a good amount of Nintendo-bashing going around, I've not noticed much in this thread. A good amount of Heatseeker bashing, true, but that one is deserved...

PS This game looks last gen, but maybe it will turn out to be FUN TO PLAY? :)

I think the problem is that this game, along with a couple other atrocious Minority Wiiports already looks bad by last gen standards, including Dreamcast. That's beyond shameful.

CorwinB said:
While there is a good amount of Nintendo-bashing going around, I've not noticed much in this thread. A good amount of Heatseeker bashing, true, but that one is deserved...

I think the problem is that this game, along with a couple other atrocious Minority Wiiports already looks bad by last gen standards, including Dreamcast. That's beyond shameful.

1019.jpg

That's shameful?

Top Bottom