• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavy Rain reviews

Stike

HYPE HYPE HYPE

That intro video alone with that great music and wonderful cinematography TOTALLY sucked me in.

I want to be there! Really, this is so amazing! I was on a media blackout, and now couldnt stand it, watched the intro and now I cant get enough.

I love the music, love the frame rate, love the fluid mocap motions, everything in this video is outstanding.

Cant wait for the full game...

soco

BlazingDarkness said:
ya'll should check out the opening credits
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_heavy_rain_gnrique_d_introduction-14167_fr.html

no spoilers, just settin' the tone of the game

apparently the french don't know what "one way" means.

at 48 seconds in that intro a car is driving in the wrong direction on a street labeled one way

or what stop means. there's a car that is preparing to run right through the stop sign. wtf? it looks great, but come on. get the details right.

~Kinggi~ said:
The industry needs 1000 molyneux. Out of that thousand im sure a bunch will find the right team to deliver their dreams. The industry would be so much better than it is now. In fact, it would probably be more like the film industry.

Molyneux's problem isn't the teams he's working/worked with. His problem is over-promising and under-delivering, and that's entirely his fault. If at this point in his career as a game designer he can't generally figure out what's feasible and what isn't given his resources and his time constraints, he's never going to learn.

But anyway, I hope Heavy Rain is everything I wanted IP to be.

Raist

Banned
soco said:

at 48 seconds in that intro a car is driving in the wrong direction on a street labeled one way

or what stop means. there's a car that is preparing to run right through the stop sign. wtf? it looks great, but come on. get the details right.

The details are perfectly right since it comes from a French dev.

In other words, french people drive like jerks

For the record, I'm french :p

~Kinggi~

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
Molyneux's problem isn't the teams he's working/worked with. His problem is over-promising and under-delivering, and that's entirely his fault. If at this point in his career as a game designer he can't generally figure out what's feasible and what isn't given his resources and his time constraints, he's never going to learn.
But the industry would be a lot better off if there were more people as passionate as he is about new ideas. He is just a kid in the candy story, people that take everything he says seriously shouldn't be. Marketing teams just need to realize to not have people like him as a definitive source for product information, cause thats when things can get messy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
soco said:

not to mention the cars pass the parked cars with about an inch of space in between. pretty dangerous. :lol

Majmun

alr1ghtstart said:
not to mention the cars pass the parked cars with about an inch of space in between. pretty dangerous. :lol

Wow, does this game also take place in Holland? That happens all the time here.

Stike

alr1ghtstart said:
Some things are okay and can be ignored.

I found a really bad glitch though.

At 1:31 to 1:33 there is a flock of birds in the sky. While everything else continues perfectly, the birds simply freeze in the air. Weird. No one saw this?

~Kinggi~ said:
But the industry would be a lot better off if there were more people as passionate as he is about new ideas. He is just a kid in the candy story, people that take everything he says seriously shouldn't be. Marketing teams just need to realize to not have people like him as a definitive source for product information, cause thats when things can get messy.

People who dream are good. People who temper those dreams with an understanding of what's possible in reality are preferable. That's all I'm saying.

GhaleonQ

Stike said:
and wonderful cinematography

Yeah, the way the camera did cuts with each measure and then panned to one side is...something that's beaten out of people the 1st day of film school.

Oh, God, the discussions this game will bring will be INTOLERABLE.

cgcg

Damn it is real time. Saw a car pop up on the highway. Honestly the most impressive real time graphics I have seen. Even the rain drops have reflections. :lol

Stike said:

At 1:31 to 1:33 there is a flock of birds in the sky. While everything else continues perfectly, the birds simply freeze in the air. Weird. No one saw this?

wow! - good eye :) . i can't unsee it now, either...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonQ said:
Yeah, the way the camera did cuts with each measure and then panned to one side is...something that's beaten out of people the 1st day of film school.

Are you going to play it?

Stike

GhaleonQ said:
I dont see any cruel camera mistakes. What do you mean? :-?

So these are the french reviews, the ones that don't have to suffer through a voice "acting" atrocity, right?

It will be interesting to see the American reviews.

Swag

Can't wait for this, one of my most anticipated games of Q1. Always excited to play games that don't fit the typical molds :D

stupei

GhaleonQ said:

By "cinematography," I would assume someone is referring to framing. What you're talking about is closer to editing.

And credit sequences are often rhythmically paced. Not sure what your complaint is exactly.

GhaleonQ said:
Not that I actually think you have any clue about what is taught at film school, but something that is actually taught at film school is that conventions are for the birds (pun intended).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GhaleonQ said:

If things like this is something people will complain about in this game, then it will be more like insufferable. Seriously, camera cuts in credits sequence? (which by any measure looked great too...)

Stike

templeusox said:
Not that I actually think you have any clue about what is taught at film school, but something that is actually taught at film school is that conventions are for the birds (pun intended).
Whatever his nitpicking is about: He should get started on Michael Bay's editing first before tearing a game apart.

Also, this is a montage. There is no "rule" whatsoever in editing that would prohibit mixing dolly/crane movement shots with still frames. They are connected with a FTB anyway, so what's the matter...

Tigel

timetokill said:
So these are the french reviews, the ones that don't have to suffer through a voice "acting" atrocity, right?

It will be interesting to see the American reviews.
I'm not sure if I must play the game in french or english... Anyone knows which dubbing will be/is better?

keuja

marathonfool said:
I want to know what they rated Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit compared to Heavy Rain.

The site jeuxvideo.com, (biggest french videogames website), scored both games at 15/20.
Heavy rain
Fahrenheit
It seems it's the lowest score of all the early heavy rain reviews.

I saw someone interested in the negatives so this is what I picked up from the review:

- Graphism: some elements seems too rigid, such as papers, food, blanket, clothes which breaks the immersion a bit. The scenes of 'affection' seems to lacks sensuality and rarely fullfill their emotional objective.

- Gameplay: some button combination supposed to reproduce the effort and uneasiness of the character are really weird. During the more traditional gameplay (as opposed to the QTE), movement are a bit clumsy and feels heavy.

- Lasting appeal: 10h long. no negatives really here (except for the lack of french subtitles during the bonus videos)

- Sound: lip sync a bit off in the french version, because the scenes were designed for English only.

- Scenario: some characters are a bit "cliche".

- Conclusion: the story could have been less Seven-like. Characters are a bit stiff in their movements, environment a bit rigid (i.e. can do only pre defined action), which lessen the immersion in the game universe. Still not as much emotion than in actual movies.

I only mentionned the negative but overall, the review is positive, saying that you'll definitely want to know how the story unfolds. And of course, it's just the opinion of a single reviewer...

Despite the few shortcomings, it's still a day one purchase for me. :D

Stike

Tigel said:
I'm not sure if I must play the game in french or english... Anyone knows which dubbing will be/is better?
I will go with the English version I believe, because the motion capture actors are also (mostly!?) American/English (and they dubbed their roles themselves, right?).

Edit: BTW great that Aurelie Bancilhon got a role in the game as well! Loved her performance in the very first "casting" video...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonQ said:

You didn't type "OMGOMGOMG HYPE!" You're going to be torn apart here.

You're also 100% correct.

EDIT: Looks like I'm late. That's what I get for not refreshing before replying.

Az

I am skipping MAG to get this baby. Will play it with the wife watching, she loves these kind of games.

golem

Indigo Prophecy was overrated by critics at first if i remember correctly.. will wait for more impressions

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonQ said:

yes but do you have to say it like that

GQman2121

Banned
That intro......

2ahip1y.jpg

First real new media I've clicked on in weeks.

I expect this to be one of those games that starts off with a bang, good reviews, and lots of hype. Then, after it actually arrives on shelves, the mood will ever so slightly start to shift to mixed, people will find flaws and nitpick, and it'll eventually end up being viewed as average in hindsight with an equal number of lovers and haters with few in between.

Just my gut feeling.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I expect this to be one of those games that starts off with a bang, good reviews, and lots of hype. Then, after it actually arrives on shelves, the mood will ever so slightly start to shift to mixed, people will find flaws and nitpick, and it'll eventually end up being viewed as average in hindsight with an equal number of lovers and haters with few in between.

Just my gut feeling.
you just described, I don't know, maybe 75% of GAF's darlings?

Stike said:

Not sure if I would call this a really bad glitch. I see this as not that big of a deal. The intro video does enough right to make me completely forgive this small error. Seriously, the mode and feeling the intro sets the ton for is downright breathtaking! I have a feeling this is going to be one hell of a ride!

I wish I didn't watch that intro video because it just turned from a 'maybe rent' to a must buy. i dont have the kind of money for the next 2 months of releases

Eccocid

gah cant unsee those birds :(
But overall mood looks fantastic.
I hope it has a bitter ending. I dont want some happy ending in a game with this kind of mood.

Top Bottom