• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It also gets the xbox tax from all the sony shill reviewers and community that loves to shit on xbox so it evens it out, right?

If we are to believe these things exist....

What Xbox tax? It’s a clearly inflated score

Hellblade 2 - 81 metacritic

The Order - 63 metacritic

How are these games so far apart on metacritic? Arguably there’s a better story and gameplay in The Order, and longer length as well.

The Order was released 10 years ago as well, when standards weren’t as high as they are now

Truth is, Xbox sets the bar ridiculously low with their games, coupled with a fanatical community of zealots that are clearly dealing with Stockholm syndrome at this point, they have zero standards and don’t hold Microsoft studios to account for stuff like this.

The Order was reviewed poorly because it’s nowhere near as good as something like Uncharted.

But I guess hellblade 2 is an improvement over Redfall 2, so let’s hand it an 81 for 5 hours of nauseating padding, zero gameplay, and all visuals

Last edited:

XXL

Imagine playing what looks to be a high presentation, graphically impressive, narrative focused game as part of an existing subscription. I can't wait to try it tonight
No argument from me there.

When I play it, I either play it on a monthly sub or buy it on Steam in a few years when it's a couple bucks.

But, buying this for $50 is crazy, in my opinion.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'll be in Senua tonight. As a 40-year-old dad with a gf, these smaller big-budget games are exactly for me. The game length is perfect for me and for the price of a month of gamepass it's a great value.
08b3919e720568323f922f3fbef1dc7101a61048287b466ca03d07288ef6419c_1.jpg

Matsuchezz

Cool, and when you see you do a lot more at the start than just “hold forward” or whatever that idiot said on YT, then come back and apologize 😁
Actually is not the number of enemies that I found disappointing, is the way the action and gameplay looks, the gameplay in the first game was very simple and the enemies sucked. That was the bad part of the first game. And that's the reason why we did not have a gameplay trailer at all, I am pretty certain that the gameplay is kind of the same or as a few reviewers have said, it's worse. And most people are saying graphically the game delivers, but the gameplay of it is what is lacking depth. If you can share through you tube this amazing gameplay that you mentioned and prove us all wrong, I will stand corrected.

XXL

It annoys me people praised Microsoft for releasing an 8hr experience for 50$. That is terrible value to the gamer. Obv you can just get HB2 on Gamepass, but I hope this game fails financially to dissuade other publishers from following this model. This is not how you fix the gaming industry woes
It's not even 8hrs most people are saying 4-5hrs.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
What Xbox tax? It’s a clearly inflated score

Hellblade 2 - 81 metacritic

The Order - 63 metacritic

How are these games so far apart on metacritic? Arguably there’s a better story and gameplay in The Order, and longer length as well.

The Order was released 10 years ago as well, when standards weren’t as high as they are now

Truth is, Xbox sets the bar ridiculously low with their games, coupled with a fanatical community of zealots that are clearly dealing with Stockholm syndrome at this point, they have zero standards and don’t hold Microsoft studios to account for stuff like this.

The Order was reviewed poorly because it’s nowhere near as good as something like Uncharted.

But I guess hellblade 2 is an improvement over Redfall 2, so let’s hand it an 81 for 5 hours of nauseating padding, zero gameplay, and all visuals

Order is longer? You can platinum it in four hours. Order reviewed worse because it was a terribly generic shooter with a lackluster story.

How much Hellblade II have you played?

GymWolf

Gold Member
In my 20 hours before uninstalling it, it did not.
It does have more mechanics but they are mostly under-cooked, boring or straight up trash.

I think the right comparison for hb2 are stuff like ryse or the order more than a freakin open world game :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
🤷‍♂️

Thoroughly enjoyed the original. I’m off work in about 3 hours and expect to enjoy this one too!

I predicted a slightly higher score (84-5ish), but low 80s is an acceptable range for the game!

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Order is longer? You can platinum it in four hours. Order reviewed worse because it was a terribly generic shooter with a lackluster story

Hellblade 2, according to reviewers I trust, is 2 hour long game with 3 extra hours of padding, a terrible generic action game with awful story and one of the worst endings in gaming

Why is this worthy of an 81?

Last edited:
This is the main problem imo. I'm fine with short games. I'm not fine with a studio taking the same amount of time as a long game to make a short game.
To be honest, I'm not fine with short games as sequels, I do sort of want them to be bigger and better. Any good sequel knows to do this. But yeah, the long development time just increases that expectation.

Last edited:
How can you possibly say these things lol
The recent nostalgia for the quality of The Order is baffling to me. Graphically, it's maybe the most impressive game of its time, and the music and story were actually really cool. But the gameplay, AI, forced stealth segments, variety of enemies, heavy nose breathing, stupid collectables you could look at (wow!), jumping as a QTE, etc... it was the pits. Hellblade knew what it was and did it well. The sequel seems to be doing the same. I just wish they hadn't pushed it as something that appeared to be bigger and bolder way back in 2019.

Zathalus

People get real mad (both ways) over a game that seems strikingly similar to the first one in both critical reception and length. Reading this thread and the differences to the review thread of the first game are quite apparent:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What the truth?

How blind can you be to not come to the same conclusion?

No, the utter hyperbolic bullshit that you said lol.

How can you say Order has a better story, when you've not played a second of HB2 ? Or that Order takes longer to complete, when there's websites saying it can take 12~ hours for completionist runs of HB2.

Let's use Gamespot's review of Order as an example, since their HB2 review was posted earlier.

The Good​

• Fantastic voice acting
  • Consistent, stylish visuals
  • A couple of really cool weapons to play with

The Bad​

• Overlooks the best aspects of its premise in favor of boring storytelling
  • Every gameplay element is drab and rote
  • Too little of the cool stuff (guns, werewolves), lots of the dull stuff (looking at things, walking slowly)

Both game play *and* story are in the BAD section.

Christ sake James, you're turning into a worse warrior every passing thread.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not fine with short games as sequels, I do sort of want them to be bigger and better. Any good sequel knows to do this.
I don't think sequels need to necessarily be longer, but should be up to date with latest tech and refined.
The combat obviously needed some work, so I'll see what that's like tonight.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
The Order was hated on for being short, when the game was getting started it was over.

However the gameplay in the Order was pretty great and has way more of it than Hellblade 2.

Order was hated for lots of reasons. Story could have saved the game but it was absolute trash. Gameplay being “pretty great” is entirely subjective.

What’s not subjective is that it’s a shorter game than HB2 😁

Edit, idk why this posted twice 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
No, the utter hyperbolic bullshit that you said lol.

How can you say Order has a better story, when you've not played a second of HB2 ? Or that Order takes longer to complete, when there's websites saying it can take 12~ hours for completionist runs of HB2.

Let's use Gamespot's review of Order as an example, since their HB2 review was posted earlier.

Both game play *and* story are in the BAD section.

Christ sake James, you're turning into a worse warrior every passing thread.

I’m going by what reviewers I trust are saying about HB2

What are you trying to spin?

Is hellblade 2 a 12 hour game? No it’s not, it took Luke Stephens 5 hours and he says that’s with him just wasting time wandering around

He says the story is awful, and that’s coming from someone who enjoyed the original hellblade

Tell me exactly why one 5 hour game with all visuals deserves an 81 but the other gets a 63?

Precisely because fans like yourself that don’t take studios to task for this and are perfectly content cheerleading for mediocrity

Last edited:
The recent nostalgia for the quality of The Order is baffling to me. Graphically, it's maybe the most impressive game of its time, and the music and story were actually really cool. But the gameplay, AI, forced stealth segments, variety of enemies, heavy nose breathing, stupid collectables you could look at (wow!), jumping as a QTE, etc... it was the pits. Hellblade knew what it was and did it well. The sequel seems to be doing the same. I just wish they hadn't pushed it as something that appeared to be bigger and bolder way back in 2019.
I think that's his point. The order was bombarded with shit reviews and ended up in the 60's on metacritic. Having this turd in the 80's is thus quite the contrast.

But hey, carry on the discussion :)

xrnzaaas

I haven't played it yet, but some of the reviews and opinions are depressing. I was counting on the game to have a good story as one of its stronger points.

Can you not just leave your console bias to one side and realise that this game just isn't for everyone? There will be plenty of XBox fans not liking this game also.

I think the game is ok, but it's only next gen in the visual and audio department, the gameplay is positively archaic, but that's ok because I expected it to be that way.
So stop coming into the thread posting rubbish like, walking simulator, took 7yrs to make etc. It's pathetic and no need for it. Most haven't even played it either. They are just anti Xbox/Microsoft simple as that, same shit with Starfield.

Shrap

In my 20 hours before uninstalling it, it did not.
It did. You just didn't play it. Hellblade 1 had way more shallow combat than Death Stranding and "puzzles" which were just orienting the camera at the right angle. Hellblade 2 is even more shallow than 1 with QTE combat.

Death Stranding's traversal alone has far more depth than Hellblade. It's not even up for debate.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Played 30 minutes during my lunch break. The most boring first 30 minutes of "gameplay" I've ever seen. Just so much fucking walking. This was supposed to be a joke, but it is largely accurate so far....

YihQBq2.jpeg

Solved one "puzzle" and fought one enemy at the end of that 30 minute session. Is this really all there is to the combat? Nah....gotta be more to it than this.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I’m going by what reviewers I trust are saying about HB2

Again, this is the least surprising thing you could have said, clearly you've latched onto Luke's video, or another one similar, that's critical of the game and taking it as the general consensus for the game, when clearly it isn't.

Is hellblade 2 a 12 hour game? No it’s not, it took Luke Stephens 5 hours and he says that’s with him just wasting time wandering around

See.

He says the story is awful, and that’s coming from someone who enjoyed the original hellblade

Oh, I bet you enjoyed the first hellblade a lot too, not this one though. Not that you've played it.

Tell me exactly why one 5 hour game with all visuals deserves an 81 but the other gets a 63?

Because the one '5 hour' game that got 63 aggregate review had a lot of issues? I already shared one example which cited both its story and game play (both point you, for some reason, claimed were better there) as NEGATIVES. Let alone the fact that it was also sold as a full priced game at launch.

There's a lot of clear differences, but I don't expect you to tackle them in good faith at all.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Played 30 minutes during my lunch break. The most boring first 30 minutes of "gameplay" I've ever seen. Just so much fucking walking. This was supposed to be a joke, but it is largely accurate so far....

YihQBq2.jpeg

Solved one puzzle and fought one enemy at the end of that 30 minute session. Is this really all there is to the combat? Nah....gotta be more to it than this.

This sounds rough.

Sadge.

Top Bottom