• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killjoy-NL

How can I be an Xbox fanboy if I'm 'defending' a PS4 launch exclusive.

But you have touched upon a point @Mortisfacio brought up. The same crowd that loved (and still defends) even shorter games with shallower gameplay like The Order is now extra critical of this walking sim, which plays just like how the first game did, i-e should have known going in what kind of game it is instead of feigning surprise now.

Regardless, this game has reviewed generally well, in the 80+ range, so there's that.
On the other hand, people that have trashed Sony for releasing "walking simulators" are going to all lengths to defend this Xbox walking simulator, to the point that they become irrational and claim HB1 had more gameplay than DS.

As for HB2, it turns out to be completely as expected from Ninja Theory, so I get both sides of the discussion.

Will definitely buy the PS5 version day 1.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Who said it is loved? It has a 63 meta it deserves, the order is not a good game

It’s wasted potential. Just like HB2

Nah, they're not comparable.

nHNHmeb.jpeg

See guys? The Klobrille review krew generally loved it

Klobrille's review isn't on meta or opencritic.

You're throwing a hissy fit over nothing.

Last edited:
No, an objective person would play the game before making a comparison. Basing your opinion off of reviewers that fit your agenda because the game is not on your platform of choice is hardly objective.

I will play it, but the facts are laid to bare here

You don’t need to play this game, just watch the first hour (20% of the game) and you can tell everything about it and how shallow it is

SRTtoZ

I just clicked through the youtube walkthrough video and... let's just say I am not the target audience.

You hold the stick to move forward, while some women are constantly whispering nonsense from a random side.
It's like a twitch asmr stream, but you need to be pushing the stick to continue.

If Death Stranding was called a walking sim, what do you call that?

I will stick with gameplay-first games, thanks.
Hellblade 1 was asmr the game. Not surprised that the sequel is similar.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

SRTtoZ

It's an almost 4 year old developed game made by 80 people.

Simular to the first. Can't wait.
Does anyone know how many developers made Kena Bridge of spirits? I think it’s their first game if I remember correctly. It was way longer than I expected, I wanna say like 8-10 hours and was gorgeous, fun, open world etc. I think it was $30-40? What I’m saying is that’s no excuse for Ninja Theroy a proven studio.

People get real mad (both ways) over a game that seems strikingly similar to the first one in both critical reception and length. Reading this thread and the differences to the review thread of the first game are quite apparent.
Those same people will try to convince you into thinking that it’s not themselves that have changed, but everything else with gaming has changed instead.

Zathalus

I will play it, but the facts are laid to bare here

You don’t need to play this game, just watch the first hour (20% of the game) and you can tell everything about it and how shallow it is
Shallow in gameplay has no bearing on how good a game is by itself. Presentation, story, acting, and other factors can determine how good a game is as well. If that's not your type of game then fair play to you. But don't pretend what you are doing now is objective or not steeped in console warring, you have over 30 posts in a review thread of a game you have yet to play and pretensions to not having an agenda have been thrown out of the window.

Shallow in gameplay has no bearing on how good a game is by itself. Presentation, story, acting, and other factors can determine how good a game is as well. If that's not your type of game then fair play to you. But don't pretend what you are doing now is objective or not steeped in console warring, you have over 30 posts in a review thread of a game you have yet to play and pretensions to not having an agenda have been thrown out of the window.

Nah I actually do enjoy these sorts of games and can appreciate them for what they are, but everything I’ve read and watched of this from review outlets that aren’t paid off shills tells me it’s disappointing on many fronts

This is a sequel that should have built on the previous game but it regresses terribly in many areas

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Who said it is loved? It has a 63 meta it deserves, the order is not a good game

It’s wasted potential. Just like HB2

For consistency.

The Order 1886:

IGN Brazil: 6.5
IGN France: 7.2
IGN Spain: 7.5
IGN US: 6.5

Hellblade 2

IGN Brazil: 9.0
IGN France: 9.0
IGN Spain: 9.0
IGN US: 8.0

If you factor in that sequels will get their scores knocked down if they don't improve enough over the original, those numbers can be higher. If you take away the complaint that "It doesn't do enough over the original" "It's more of the same", where as The Order was the original title, then you definitely have to acknowledge that Hellblade was received well and should not be compared to The Order in any way, except for maybe that they both are cinematic masterpieces for their time. One delivered the goods, the other one didn't. You can't say they both failed, that's just a lie you're trying to spread by normalizing these 2.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Learn that Silicon Graphics.

This is what I wanted the N64 to look like.

Leer tanto club Nintendo te afecto. Sug Gutierrez lavaba cerebros y vendia espejitos en nombre de Nintendo el salvador del gaming. I realistically espected Killer Instinct Arcade graphics. What you're saying is well beyond that level of graphics.

For consistency.

The Order 1886:

IGN Brazil: 6.5
IGN France: 7.2
IGN Spain: 7.5
IGN US: 6.5

Hellblade 2

IGN Brazil: 9.0
IGN France: 9.0
IGN Spain: 9.0
IGN US: 8.0

If you factor in that sequels will get their scores knocked down if they don't improve enough over the original, those numbers can be higher. If you take away the complaint that "It doesn't do enough over the original" "It's more of the same", where as The Order was the original title, then you definitely have to acknowledge that Hellblade was received well and should not be compared to The Order in any way, except for maybe that they both are cinematic masterpieces for their time. One delivered the goods, the other one didn't. You can't say they both failed, that's just a lie you're trying to spread by normalizing these 2.

This is word salad logic and makes no sense

HB2 doesn’t improve on HB1 in anything other than visuals

Last edited:
Leer tanto club Nintendo te afecto. Sug Gutierrez lavaba cerebros y vendia espejitos en nombre de Nintendo el salvador del gaming. I realistically espected Killer Instinct Arcade graphics. What you're saying is well beyond that level of graphics.

Rather, it was a deception, they said that the graphics would be similar to Terminator 2 and Toy Story.

And yes, Gus overrated the console a lot in my opinion.

JackMcGunns

This is word salad logic and makes no sense

HB2 doesn’t improve on HB1 in anything other than visuals

Aren't you just proving my point? lol. HB2 got knocked in several reviews because it didn't do enough over the original. The Order did not suffer that fate because it IS the original. Apples to Oranges here. HB2 scores could have been higher had it been the OG like The Order.

A game is as good as the sum of its parts: Gameplay, Graphics, Presentation, Sound, Story, Overall experience. HB2 improved almost every aspect mentioned.

Last edited:
Aren't you just proving my point? lol. HB2 got knocked in several reviews because it didn't do enough over the original. The Order did not suffer that fate because it IS the original. Apples to Oranges here. HB2 scores could have been higher had it been the OG like The Order.

Huh?

Why would it matter at all if it’s a sequel? If anything a sequel should be more critical than an original

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I hate interactive movies, so probably won't like it, but I will give it a shot just to see the graphics.

Top Bottom