• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Based on recent Metacritic scores, we now know The Order 1886 was ahead of its time.

URg2Jyf.jpeg

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Huh?

Why would it matter at all if it’s a sequel? If anything a sequel should be more critical than an original

Not sure why you're confused, it's rather simple, but let me use a sports game analogy

NFL 2K5: OMG, the greatest football game ever created! the most realistic, most amazing experience ever in a football game, an amazing launch title. Perfect 10!!
NFL 2K6: Other that an updated roster, NFL 2K6 does not offer anything over the original, in fact it plays exactly the same. Don't spend your money. 6.5.

Now imagine someone who never played NFL 2K5 and is seeking to buy NFL2K6 and they see that score and choose to buy Madden NFL 2005 because it scored a 7.5.

I hope that explains my point.

I don't understand why Yong Yea gave this such an effusive review... but then I remembered that he did the voice over for a Yakuza Game, which is a SEGA game, and SEGA are in bed with Microsoft and it made a lot of sense to me then.

I think we all need to hope Microsoft never truly get their act together, as the diehard warriors on the Sony side are not even handling 'pretty good' well at all if this thread is anything to go by. Imagine if they start to bring out some 90+s... It will be brutal.

I wasn't going to rush to play this, but I think I've seen enough to want to give it a run sooner rather than later.

Dr.brain64

Gold Member
Gamespot's review: 6/10

The Good​

• Impressive visuals, motion capture, and performances make for a striking cinematic experience
  • Music and overall sound design triumph at elevating tension and emotion

The Bad​

• Shallow, muddled storytelling falls short in offering a unique or introspective experience
  • Extremely minimal gameplay with simple puzzles and flat combat
  • Set pieces, encounters, story beats, and gameplay quickly grow repetitive

oof

For consistency.

The Order 1886:

IGN Brazil: 6.5
IGN France: 7.2
IGN Spain: 7.5
IGN US: 6.5

Hellblade 2

IGN Brazil: 9.0
IGN France: 9.0
IGN Spain: 9.0
IGN US: 8.0

If you factor in that sequels will get their scores knocked down if they don't improve enough over the original, those numbers can be higher. If you take away the complaint that "It doesn't do enough over the original" "It's more of the same", where as The Order was the original title, then you definitely have to acknowledge that Hellblade was received well and should not be compared to The Order in any way, except for maybe that they both are cinematic masterpieces for their time. One delivered the goods, the other one didn't. You can't say they both failed, that's just a lie you're trying to spread by normalizing these 2.
You're yelling into the void, people have resorted to making up "the real OC score" now.

It's not every day a publisher writes a blank check for a small dev team to make games like this, perhaps the GaaS future is deserved after all :messenger_8ball:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So this is the order part 2? lmao
I think The Order came day 1, it wouldn't be trashed as it was at release. It was a beautiful tech demo and has great foundations for sequels.

I think Hellblade 2 will suffer for the same reasons. I think Ninja Theory will close shop before the next gen starts.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Eurogamer will give anything a 10 as long as it has state of the art graphics

nvm lol

I think The Order came day 1, it wouldn't be trashed as it was at release. It was a beautiful tech demo and has great foundations for sequels.

I think Hellblade 2 will suffer for the same reasons. I think Ninja Theory will close shop before the next gen starts.

The Order was a full priced game, this is a lower priced game. That probably accounts for some of the reasons it got trashed.

Last edited:

xHunter

While the first 20 or so minutes is indeed just pressing up (and a few times a und lt/rt), the review that said you will hold up for 40 minutes is either exaggerating or was playing really slow. I think at around the 20-25 minute mark you get the sword and fight people.

Mortisfacio

Banned
It came out in 2015 tho.

When I bought my PS4! I was going to wait until UC4, but Bloodborne launched and had to get it. Moving from Bloodborne to The Order was one of the most jarring experiences of "wtf is this?" going from a great game to something so terrible. Almost as bad as moving from BG3 > Phantom Liberty and then to Starfield.

Top Bottom