• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tsaki

Reminder that it's at ~75 MC when you remove the Ambassadors

w9qhBFs.jpeg

Hoppa

It's a 7/10 for me. Gameplay feels like a huge downgrade. No bosses or mini bosses, a more casual approach to combat, familiar puzzles and way too many long walking scenes. It's meant to be enjoyed as a purely cinematic experience, but as a huge fan of the first one, the sequel feels diluted in almost every aspect (except for graphics of course).

There are a lot of 4K screenshots at max settings in the review. For some of them I used a mod to remove DOF, Filmgrain and other post-processing effects.

hellblade2-win64-ship-Screenshot-2024.05.17-17.28.25.31.jpg
Cool screenshots, it looks great!

All the sentences of absolute praise from reviewers being completely ignored. But, not like reviews matter anyway.

Keep going fanboy GAF, continue your tirade to tear down anything Xbox.

I’m a Xbox fan actually. And I don’t know if it’s escaped your notice but there are fanboys of Xbox you know, they can get in the fucking bin as well as the people you speak of.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Sounds fucking terrible.

A few years ago, I had more patience and lenience towards these types of games. So I could overlook the issues with gameplay that come along.
But I'm a bit tired. I can no longer just ignore and push through lazy gameplay, just to watch a story play out.

Astray

So judging by reviews this somehow seems like it's worse than I expected in terms of gameplay.

I expected a more souped up version of HB1 (whose gameplay I found very tedious, my wife and i didn't finish the game), but this seems like it somehow regressed?

Early sales seem to have landed with a thud too, so I don't believe any of Jez's bullshit about new projects until I actually see them.

FunkMiller

So judging by reviews this somehow seems like it's worse than I expected in terms of gameplay.

I expected a more souped up version of HB1 (whose gameplay I found very tedious, my wife and i didn't finish the game), but this seems like it somehow regressed?

I was certainly expecting an expansion from the first game. I expected a less linear experience with better combat and puzzle solving, which is the pattern most games tend to follow of this type.

Pedro Motta

It's an almost 4 year old developed game made by 80 people.

Simular to the first. Can't wait.

Facts have no place here. Get out.

All the sentences of absolute praise from reviewers being completely ignored. But, not like reviews matter anyway.

Keep going fanboy GAF, continue your tirade to tear down anything Xbox.

It's this lack of critical thinking that will never let Xbox as a brand lift themselves from mediocrity. They tailored their fanbase to do this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Have you seen the protagonist? Its a mentally ill women going through an 'emotional' journey.

Even though the game has no substance other than that, it's always going to net you a few extra metacritic number from the progressive game reviewers
That’s kind of a stretch, this mind-set of everything is ”wok” is getting ridiculous.…..this is no different than people who call every little thing “problematic”.

It's this lack of critical thinking that will never let Xbox as a brand lift themselves from mediocrity. They tailored their fanbase to do this.

And you know what else? They would be the first to brag about things the critics actually want them to improve on should they come to fruition.

Astray

I was certainly expecting an expansion from the first game. I expected a less linear experience with better combat and puzzle solving, which is the pattern most games tend to follow of this type.
Sequels are typically "bigger and better", but this somehow feels smaller and lesser.

It's a great graphics showcase no doubt, but it feels like something got lost here and I think Microsoft knew that, hence the muted marketing.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Its a good thing I dont care for reviews on any game from any platform by this clowns that run access media sites for quite some time, but...

imagine 10/10 for a 5 hour press forward to walk, pure cinematic experience.

If you give this a 10 what will you give for the next Flight Simulator, Hades, Zelda , Elden Ring, Ghost of Tsushima and so on...you know.. real games you can actually play for more than one afternoon and use more than 1 button at the same time.

This industry is lacking standards across the board for quite some time and people wonder why is not in a very good shape. Specially Xbox.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
lol....indeed

cGB77wo.png
EZitTsD.png

Look Up Lebron James GIF by ESPN

winjer

Gold Member
Its a good thing I dont care for reviews on any game from any platform by this clowns that run access media sites for quite some time, but...

imagine 10/10 for a 5 hour press forward to walk, pure cinematic experience.

If you give this a 10 what will you give for the next Flight Simulator, Hades, Zelda , Elden Ring, Ghost of Tsushima and so on...you know.. real games you can actually play for more than one afternoon and use more than 1 button at the same time.

This industry is lacking standards across the board for quite some time and people wonder why is not in a very good shape. Specially Xbox.

Considering that most modern gaming journalists hate gaming, having a game that has almost no gameplay is great for them.

Pedro Motta

Remember, do not be critical of a ps5 game. Only xbox allowed.
There are critiques and critics. Calling out a game for being boring because the level graphics are not UE5 super nexct gen is desingenuous.

I bet Stellar Blade had a smaller team than Ninja Theory to make HB2. The more basic combo in Steller Blade has more work put into it by the team gameplay wise than the whole battle system on HB2.

NikuNashi

An hour in and sweet baby girl the production levels and graphical fidelity are Naughty Dog levels (obviously the graphics are better but ND haven't done a next-gen game yet).

Also the audio is incredible, I can't stress enough how good it is, this is cutting edge on a audio-visual level. Acting and voice work is also grade A, well done NT.
Gameplay?

Top Bottom