• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GHG

Gold Member
An hour in and sweet baby girl the production levels and graphical fidelity are Naughty Dog levels (obviously the graphics are better but ND haven't done a next-gen game yet).

Also the audio is incredible, I can't stress enough how good it is, this is cutting edge on a audio-visual level. Acting and voice work is also grade A, well done NT.

What happened mate?:

Linear over shoulder cinematic experience? No thanks, give me open areas with emergent gameplay.

Gameplay?
It's a story driven game obviously, is it filled with amazing gameplay? No, but it's got amazing atmosphere and art direction and in all fairness the combat is quite challenging and very satisfying. I love a powerful story driven game so this is right up my street.

It's not going to be for everyone but I'd encourage anyone to give it a go just if only to experience the level of technical excellence on display.

'It feeds into an oddly patronising atmosphere—Senua is special and important just because she is and everyone recognises it on sight and praises her for it. It starts to seem like she's a Make-A-Wish child whose request was to be in God of War. It's a feeling made far worse by the very rudimentary mechanics.'

Goddamn lmao

YuLY

I recommend the MrMattyPlays review to everyone, guy is realistic and even if xbox aligned, he isnt a shill.

Basically it is a 5h glorified walking simulator. Matty even jokes that at one point he kept the thumb on the analog stick for 40mins just to move forward and that was the "gameplay". For context, game was announced in 2019, Ninja Theory needs to get a grip, but who knows if MS will even give them the chance anymore.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Have you seen the protagonist? Its a mentally ill women going through an 'emotional' journey.

Even though the game has no substance other than that, it's always going to net you a few extra metacritic number from the progressive game reviewers

l1SZpHT.png

Score: 3/5

SeYDy1f.png

Score: 6/10

5Q3XnrK.png

Score: 3/5

You live in an internet hate bubble of your own creation

Tried this on PC earlier, 4090 doesn't hit close to 60fps at 40k with DLAA, but with DLSS quality it's getting mid 90's, it's a real treat visually, but i played nearly an hour and all i can say is yes, i pushed forward on the left stick and pressed the left bumper to walk a bit faster some of the time.

Not worth the fan noise out of 10.

LordCBH

Goddamn I’m getting ok at predicting some scores. Standouts seem to be graphics and audio with really bland and mediocre gameplay holding it back. Just like the first.

Varteras

Gold Member
One hour into a five hour game and this has been my experience. 3 or 4 combat moments of 1-on-1 battles with very simplistic "just swing sword" gameplay. An environment puzzle that is solved by you, quite literally, just walking around until the game tells you where to point your camera. A lot of walking or jogging in linear paths with one very small area to "explore". Quite a bit of emo ASMR. That's the game so far.

Orbital2060

Pathetic seeing all the Sony fanboys out in this thread trying to shit on Hellblade.

Your precious Sony games are pretty much left alone in their review threads. You didnt hear anyone shit on Stellar Blade even though they think its crap.

You just cant help yourselves, can you? Your insecurities are laid bare for all the world to see.

tommib

Gold Member
One hour into a five hour game and this has been my experience. 3 or 4 combat moments of 1-on-1 battles with very simplistic "just swing sword" gameplay. An environment puzzle that is solved by you, quite literally, just walking around until the game tells you where to point your camera. A lot of walking or jogging in linear paths with one very small area to "explore". Quite a bit of emo ASMR. That's the game so far.
I think that would be fine if the puzzles were hard. This is what I would consider a graphical adventure back in the day.

Thing is, you would need to solve demonic item puzzles in those to be granted access to the next graphically impressive area. That was the reward. You solve a hellish inventory puzzle you get pretty graphics.

Without the difficulty, what’s the reward actually?

tommib

Gold Member
Pathetic seeing all the Sony fanboys out in this thread trying to shit on Hellblade.

Your precious Sony games are pretty much left alone in their review threads. You didnt hear anyone shit on Stellar Blade even though they think its crap.

You just cant help yourselves, can you? Your insecurities are laid bare for all the world to see.
Payback for all the green rats shitting on game of the generation Returnal back in the day. War isn’t just. It’s painful.

Varteras

Gold Member
I think that would be fine if the puzzles were hard. This is what I would consider a graphical adventure back in the day.

Thing is, you would need to solve demonic item puzzles in those to be granted access to the next graphically impressive area. That was the reward. You solve a hellish inventory puzzle you get pretty graphics.

Without the difficulty, what’s the reward actually?
From what I've played, there's no real obstacle an hour into the game. The puzzle I did pretty much solved itself for me. The combat is piss easy unless you're brain dead. The majority of the gameplay experience is walking forward and hearing voices that, quite frankly, I'm not sure if they're trying to threaten me, seduce me, or put me to sleep. I can only speak on the first hour, though. So I have no idea if it ramps up later.

Pretty much, but was also to be expected, same as the first game (and this is a sequel with minimal changes to gameplay really, graphically outstanding, but thats expected also as the first one was, thats what linear single player allows)

Also, its about time someone beat The Order 1886 graphically (again, very linear single player, something which is few and far between now unfortunately as I actually like those types of games as a break from the countless open world/sem open world games)
For sure, I don't think they intended for this to be some form of cerebral challenge so I'll just give it a whirl for the ooo's and aah's I think...

It's funny seeing the same people that were crapping on Sony's "movie games" suddenly claim their love for a literal linear walking simulator movie game that can be beat in a couple of hours.

I mean the game isn't terrible but it's barely interactive and is minimal on gameplay based on reviews. It's the very definition of an interactive movie game and these same people love it. It's weird how human psychology works.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What happened mate?:

I think that TloU2 isn’t looking worse or better then this “game”. I think the finer details look better in TloU2, but that’s also because that game has different mechanics and areas.

Varteras

Gold Member
I think that TloU2 isn’t looking worse or better then this “game”. I think the finer details look better in TloU2, but that’s also because that game has different mechanics and areas.
I don't even like Naughty Dog games, but at least my brain gets engaged during them. Figuring out how to get from one point to another. Dealing with multiple, sometimes many, enemies. Coming up with a strategy or a tool to beat them. I was drooling playing this game. Not because of the visuals. But because my brain is on sleep mode through it so far.

Rocinante618

Neo Member
No comments on the score.

A movie masquerading as a game is a bit too pretentious, this is purely a vanity project made for the select enthusiasts and critics. I had the same thoughts for Disco Elysium, Alan Wake and Death Stranding.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very much in support of niche, indie art pieces, flawed yet beautiful is what drives humanity forward but only if they are in a proper form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom