• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Are you fucking kidding me!? I couldn't fucking choose what gun I can use and story about hunting monsters you barely fight monsters, you mostly fight other people fight with guns.

Let me remind you this game came out same fucking year as Bloodborne which you play as proper hunter fighting actual monsters.

Games like Order made for graphics whores who want to drool over pixels and nothing else.

My favorite parts were where they tried to make you worry about strong female love interest character but they forget that we already saw her at the start of the game in a flash forward and she was fine. And also how the entire premise of the game is Dracula is releasing werewolves so he can run around and be Jack the Ripper, and we never get to actually face Dracula, just a recycled werewolf fight.

The story had no pacing and like the rest of the game, was full of generic nonsense.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Series S impressions?

Expected cut-backs but all in all, it looks fairly competent. Won't know the full extent of the cuts until DF puts out their video.

rgOn4J2.png
zmq9VSF.png
YfoUL3Z.png
06QV5LD.png

Last edited:

Anchovie123

Series X beatn by a RTX 3060? Daniel Owens shows a RTX 3060 is more then capable of running the game at 60fps. Why no Performance mode on Series X? Whats going on here? :rolleyes:

adamsapple

Series X beatn by a RTX 3060? Daniel Owens shows a RTX 3060 is more then capable of running the game at 60fps. Why no Performance mode on Series X? Whats going on here? :rolleyes:

er .. did you watch the video? The only way a 3060 reaches close to 60 without DLSS is at 1080p low settings with TSR dynamic resolution scaling, making it go even lower than 1080p.

A second area gets to 1080p with low/medium at 60.

SX is likely running medium or higher preset at higher than 1080p.

Last edited:

noise36

Scored about how I thought it would! These threads are like Christmas to Sonygaf.

Only played the first game for a couple of hours will probably do the same with this one on gamepass just to check it out, not really my kind of thing if anything like the first.

Last edited:

Anchovie123

er .. did you watch the video? The only way a 3060 reaches close to 60 without DLSS is at 1080p low settings with TSR dynamic resolution scaling, making it go even lower than 1080p.

A second area gets to 1080p with low/medium at 60.

SX is likely running medium or higher preset at higher than 1080p.
Series X should be more then capable at 1080p medium, TechPowerUp showing +33% relative on a 6700xt over a 3060.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
damn... there is a serious disconnect between the scores and the quality of the game.

Xbox creatures talk about the Xbox Tax...but this game has a shit ton of Xbox subsidy.

I wonder if reviewers were trying to be nicer/less harsh due to all the bullshit going on with xbox.

This "game" is a 6/10 at best

Yep as they always are nicer to MS

The underdog that continually fucks up gets a lot of pity scores

I’ve noticed since owning an XSX that all their first party games with the exception of Hi Fi Rush are vastly overrated

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
damn... there is a serious disconnect between the scores and the quality of the game.

Xbox creatures talk about the Xbox Tax...but this game has a shit ton of Xbox subsidy.

I wonder if reviewers were trying to be nicer/less harsh due to all the bullshit going on with xbox.

This "game" is a 6/10 at best

I’ve noticed since owning an XSX that all their first party games with the exception of Hi Fi Rush are vastly overrated

LOL

Before release: it’ll get great scores because women!

One hour embargo revealed: lol trash incoming!!! (IIRC sausage warrior guy predicted score in the 60’s)

Scores are out: lol reviewers are just being nice to Xbox (with an 81 meta no less, wow how nice)

jDDnfbV.gif

I feel like I’m just pressing forward and pressing A over and over to see what gets me through scenes the fastest. I’m sure I’m during during cut scenes too. Ha.

The beginning feels pretty pretentious like Jaffe said. And I just played and liked the first one.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The Order tried to be too much and sucked at most everything.
There was barely even a game there, it was more like a teaser for something better and fully realised in terms of world and setting (which were the best parts of the game along with visuals) which we'll never get:messenger_loudly_crying:

LOL

One hour embargo revealed: lol trash incoming!!! (IIRC sausage warrior guy predicted score in the 60’s)
Scores are out: lol reviewers are just being nice to Xbox (with an 81 meta no less, wow how nice)
warrior, projection much?

I'm not the one who's criticizing games with stupid pre-made phrases like "Walking Simulator" And then act all excited by a game that has serious shortcomings in terms of gameplay, design, pacing and story telling

MS did so fucking wrong to Tango. I'm kinda pissed.

adamsapple

LOL

jDDnfbV.gif

Oh shit, you weren't kidding.

ClH4Vke.jpeg

I'm sure we'll be told what the real score is soon :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, nice to see all the warring.

I'm keen to get back on it later and see where it falls down, because I'm not seeing the issues compared to the first game yet. It's a sequel to hellblade by what I've played.

Definitely the cool thing to attack because it's an Xbox game.

Just the way it is. I'm sure there are plenty enjoying it but I agree that this isn't really a game. It's the same as the first.

I don't really know what else to say.

I think it's cool so far and I'm enjoying it *shrugs*

Fbh

Man reading some reviews this sounds underwhelming.

I was expecting this to have a substantially increased scope with deeper gameplay. Instead it just sounds like 5-6 hours of more of the same with nicer graphics.
The first one was a cool experience but not something that necessary left me wanting more. It's like, I don't know, a movie like Memento: Cool movie with an interesting concept but it didn't leave me itching for a Memento 2.

I hope at least the "nice graphics at 30fps above everything" brigade that was championing this game is enjoying their next gen gameplay lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Man reading some reviews this sounds underwhelming.

I was expecting this to have a substantially increased scope with deeper gameplay. Instead it just sounds like 5-6 hours of more of the same with nicer graphics.
The first one was a cool experience but not something that necessary left me wanting more. It's like, I don't know, a movie like Memento: Cool movie with an interesting concept but it didn't leave me itching for a Memento 2.

I hope at least the "nice graphics at 30fps above everything" brigade that was championing this game is enjoying their next gen gameplay lol

You've kind of nailed it, I think.

I can't comment on weather it deserves a sequel yet as I've not finished this yet. But, it's more hellblade with insane technical chops.

Literally tye best looking piece of entertainment this gen by a long shot.

Bankai

Which is fine, because we all need the competition to stay. You think Sony will push PlayStation as hard with Xbox out of the way? Nope, it'll be dull.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I do wonder what happened that it took them so many years to release it. I mean, they already had basic foundations for this set with the first entry. Felt like a safe bet they would use them to up the scale of the sequel, but somehow it wasn't a case
True. I think they had real production/producer issues. It seems like they spent more time making multiple vacation trips to Iceland than fleshing out the game.

As you said, they had a solid foundation that they just needed to build upon.

Dazraell

True. I think they had real production/producer issues. It seems like they spent more time making multiple vacation trips to Iceland than fleshing out the game.

As you said, they had a solid foundation that they just needed to build upon.
Yeah, I've been joking about the game's length a lot, but when they announced it a few years back, I assumed it will be similar length to GoW 2018 or worst case scenario 10-12 hours long, offering a much bigger adventure by refining the formula they did in the first game. I only watched a few reviews of HB2 and some gameplays, but this looks so similar to the first game to me that I was constantly asking myself "what's the point of this sequel?". And the answer I keep having is "technical showcase" or "GamePass fodder", which sucks as I really enjoyed some of past Ninja Theory's games

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, I've been joking about the game's length a lot, but when they announced it a few years back, I assumed it will be similar length to GoW 2018 or worst case scenario 10-12 hours long, offering a much bigger adventure by refining the formula they did in the first game. I only watched a few reviews of HB2 and some gameplays, but this looks so similar to the first game to me that I was constantly asking myself "what's the point of this sequel?". And the answer I keep having is "technical showcase" or "GamePass fodder", which sucks as I really enjoyed some of past Ninja Theory's games
Yeah, the length is really surprising.

7 years of development, studio expansion under Xbox, and funding from Microsoft has led to an even shorter game than the first one.

nYh0Lif.jpeg

Ends before it even starts going ...

N_vyVe.gif

Last edited:

7 years of development, studio expansion under Xbox, and funding from the infamous Microsoft's warchest has led to an even shorter game than the first one.

nYh0Lif.jpeg

This sort of trolling is utterly pathetic really, childish even...
I never remember people saying the same of games that are held up as all-time classics like Silent Hill 2, SOC or ICO being knocked for short games.

I couldn't careless if a game is only 7 to 10 hours as long as the experience is enjoyable. IMO Banishers Ghost Of Eden is so much better than either God Of War Ragnarok or Hellblade 2 and also features a better narrative IMO
But to knock Hellblade 2 for 7 to 10 hours of gameplay is so bloody childish, but that sums up modern gaming.

It's like Spurs fans mocking Arsenal for not winning the league this year, never mind Spurs haven't won anything for decades...

7 years of development, studio expansion under Xbox, and funding from the infamous Microsoft's warchest has led to an even shorter game than the first one.

nYh0Lif.jpeg

N_vyVe.gif
Spreading misinformation as usual I see, pathetic but expected.

"It’s been seven years since the last [Hellblade] game, but we’ve been working on it [Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2] for less time than that," remarked Matthews.

Full production started in 2020, its more like 4yrs. I really wish you'd at least check before posting nonsense 😉

Top Bottom