• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FunkMiller

The weird hate this game have is absurd, there's definitely some console warring factor into it.

The slightly boring truth of the matter is that this is overall a very average game - which is a fucking nightmare/dream scenario for console warriors, because it can fuel both sides of the argument.

It's graphically stupendous, with extremely good presentation - and absolutely sucks in terms of gameplay. So you have enough ammunition to make everybody angry. It's often better when a game is horrible in every respect, or genius in every respect. Then the warring is harder to do.

FunkMiller

Just played what felt like a 2 hour cave level that made me want to kill myself. the level is basically walking in a cave lighting up the path and then walking some more. maybe 3 combat scenarios and they all play the same so not like it matters. Not to mention the constant fucking talking in your ear through out those 2 hours. and i mean constant. literally every second there is someone talking. every single mother fucking second.

And all of that inner dialogue is trash. its extremely poorly written. it basically boils down to this.
Voice 1: She's brave.
Voice 2: She's not.

Voice 1: Go back.
voice 2: Keep going.

Voice 1: Sky is blue.
voice 2: fuck you.

voice 1: its dark.
voice 2: its bright you cunt.

It's like this ALL the time. Literally every second. Not every other second, on every single second these two cunts are talking over each other.

I dont care if this is what schizophrenia is like. It is not fun. It is bad writing. Whoever thought this was good writing needs to be fired and then sent to epstein's island. The writing deserves an fucking razzie. Level designer of that level deserves to be laid off or forced to go work on elder scrolls online levels just so he sees what basic level design 101 from the 50s looks like.

Seriously, fuck the constant whining and constant walking. I hope phil shuts this studio down because this isnt video games. this is torture.

Entirely agree on the incessant, pointless talking. In the first game it felt a little more restrained and worth including, but here they've just replaced yellow fucking paint with nagging bitches.

I CAN SEE THE LADDER THANKS, YOU WHINY BINT. SHUT UP.

I tried playing on my XSX but can't handle the frame rate, Game is clearly GPU bound so don't see why 60fps isn't an option
Runs better on my Series S.
Joe Biden Kidding GIF by GIPHY News

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Come on man. lol I hope you're joking. You could simply be adding not seen detail above and below.

You can make the game go 16 : 9 in the photo mode if you want, it's not like the capability isn't there. It's a deliberate choice.

DF also commented on it:

Hellblade 2 is presented using a wider aspect ratio resulting in black bars on a 16:9 screen. You can zoom-in using photomode, curiously, but the game is intended to be viewed with the wider aspect ratio.

Killer8

I'm glad the studio stuck to their guns and actually made a game that is similar to the original's slower, more thoughtful approach. I was worried over the course of the hype all these years that MS would turn it into a 25 hour long God of War clone with a ton more action. The game will likely not meet expectations and I fully expect Ninja Theory to be shitcanned in the next few years, but what a way to go out putting that budget and time into something like this.

Sony sets a high bar and MS sets a very low bar, that pretty much is one of the main reasons you see disparities in quality/scores between the two platform holders
Ghost of Tsushima has 130+ reviews, which is 50 more than Hellblade 2, btw.
Out of the scores ranging from 100 to 85, only 4 or 5 are from PlayStation-dedicated sites.

You could argue those reviews are more sincere than from Xbox fans 😂.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The slightly boring truth of the matter is that this is overall a very average game - which is a fucking nightmare/dream scenario for console warriors, because it can fuel both sides of the argument.

It's graphically stupendous, with extremely good presentation - and absolutely sucks in terms of gameplay. So you have enough ammunition to make everybody angry. It's often better when a game is horrible in every respect,
Then the warring is harder to do.
People who pretended to love Redfall:
300px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg

You can make the game go 16 : 9 in the photo mode if you want, it's not like the capability isn't there. It's a deliberate choice.

DF also commented on it:
It's the filmic look they were going for.

adamsapple

Ghost of Tsushima has 130+ reviews, which is 50 more than Hellblade 2, btw.
Out of the scores ranging from 10 to 85, only 4 or 5 are from PlayStation-dedicated sites.

You could argue those reviews are more sincere than from Xbox fans 😂.

Ghost of Tsushima was released on 1 platform at launch. The PS4 version has 132 reviews.

Hellblade was released on 2 and has reviews split across Xbox and PC. They have 135 reviews combined.

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

adamsapple

And the Xbox fan sites can give this turd a 10 on two different platforms

They’ve perfected the game of the shill

Not a single website with Xbox in its name reviewed the PC version. Even Windows Central only reviewed the Xbox verison, not the PC version.

Be better than this, James. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Just played what felt like a 2 hour cave level that made me want to kill myself. the level is basically walking in a cave lighting up the path and then walking some more. maybe 3 combat scenarios and they all play the same so not like it matters. Not to mention the constant fucking talking in your ear through out those 2 hours. and i mean constant. literally every second there is someone talking. every single mother fucking second.

And all of that inner dialogue is trash. its extremely poorly written. it basically boils down to this.
Voice 1: She's brave.
Voice 2: She's not.

Voice 1: Go back.
voice 2: Keep going.

Voice 1: Sky is blue.
voice 2: fuck you.

voice 1: its dark.
voice 2: its bright you cunt.

It's like this ALL the time. Literally every second. Not every other second, on every single second these two cunts are talking over each other.

I dont care if this is what schizophrenia is like. It is not fun. It is bad writing. Whoever thought this was good writing needs to be fired and then sent to epstein's island. The writing deserves an fucking razzie. Level designer of that level deserves to be laid off or forced to go work on elder scrolls online levels just so he sees what basic level design 101 from the 50s looks like.

Seriously, fuck the constant whining and constant walking. I hope phil shuts this studio down because this isnt video games. this is torture.

giphy.gif

adamsapple

All of you poor ponies and xboys starving for a good quality game and bickering over whose slop is best whilst Nintendo casually slip out yet another 89 OC rated game like a fart in the wind.

iu

Now here's the real tax.

They released a GC 'remaster', cut its performance in from 60 FPS to 30 and it sill gets a pass from most critics.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Now here's the real tax.

They released a GC 'remaster', cut its performance in from 60 FPS to 30 and it sill gets a pass from most critics.
Here’s the kicker, and I know you won’t know this feeling on your system of choice:

Drum roll.

It’s because it’s a good game.

30 year old remakes

Leonardo Di Caprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
They’ve got some way to go until they realise they can release the same game 3 times within the space of 9 years like Sony.

get ****** you ******* **** suck my ******* **** you ******* god damn nintendo ***
I hope Aloy sits on your face and suffocates you.

Here’s the kicker, and I know you won’t know this feeling on your system of choice:

Drum roll.

It’s because it’s a good game.

They’ve got some way to go until they realise they can release the same game 3 times within the space of 9 years like Sony.

I hope Aloy sits on your face and suffocates you.

********** ***** **** ****** nintendo ***** **** ***** iwata ********** ***** ************* wiiU ******* **** ***** bully

Tomeru

I own an XSX

I am not anti Microsoft

I’m anti- shitty, overrated games like HB2 that the “pro garbage” posters (like yourself) continue to overrate and excuse which allows MS to continue on their path of terrible first party games, especially when they closed down one of the few bright spots they had

Ms is at fault for greenlighting those "games".

Banjo64

cumsessed
I own a PS5.

I am not anti Sony

strength.png
In this moment, I am euphoric.

Not because of any phony Xbox or PlayStation’s blessing.

But because I am enlightened by my Nintendo.

I own a series S

I fucking despise you all
I’m not even militant like you ass, and I sold mine. I used to think you were cool. Now I realise you’re just a sad little man with a sad little Series S. You probably don’t even own a PS5.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This works both ways. Are the same people who criticized Sony games as "movie games" now suddenly in love with this "movie game"? As a fan of Sony's "movie games" I can say quite confidently that those games are not nearly as lacking in the gameplay department as Hellblade 2. Not even remotely. So I think the criticisms here don't really match up at all. If I were playing God of War predominately with my left thumb then that would absolutely be something worth criticizing, but that just isn't the case. Here....it absolutely is, at least for the first half of the game.

Don't "get wild on the internet" trying to get people to like a game they don't like. Also works both ways.
That is the thing, for people more into gameplay driven experiences, PS games are easily perceived like some of you criticize Hellblade 2, I get the game is not for everyone, literally nobody is playing it thinking on maxing out stats and strategize against difficult boss after a fast dynamic traversal with lots of platforming, the ones that like the game and that were hyped for it knew it was a very linear and limited experience with great graphics.

Say whatever about TLOU (or your usual western "walky talky") "having more gameplay", it's still a very limited and mostly boring experience for someone with taste for Sekiro, Xenoblade, Mario and the likes that are very gameplay focused, the difference is that you care about those types of stories and setups and others care more about fantasy, swords, and the likes of HB2 story and setup... Not that anyone is wrong, it's just that we all give up here and there if we're receiving somewhere else in different ways (IDK if I'm explaining this well honestly)

Last edited:
That is the thing, for people more into gameplay driven experiences, PS games are easily perceived like some of you criticize Hellblade 2, I get the game is not for everyone, literally nobody is playing it thinking on maxing out stats and strategize against difficult boss after a fast dynamic traversal with lots of platforming, the ones that like the game and that were hyped for it knew it was a very linear and limited experience with great graphics.

Say whatever about TLOU (or your usual western "walky talky") "having more gameplay", it's still a very limited and mostly boring experience for someone with taste for Sekiro, Xenoblade, Mario and the likes that are very gameplay focused, the difference is that you care about those types of stories and setups and others care more about fantasy, swords, and the likes of HB2 story and setup... Not that anyone is wrong, it's just that we all give up here and there if we're receiving somewhere else in different ways (IDK if I'm explaining this well honestly)

These things are not the same

TLOU is a pretty hardcore game to play on higher difficulties

HB2 is a cinematic cutscene with hardly any gameplay mechanics at all

demigod

If you notice the trend of hate for this game in this thread alone, majority of the negativity comes from primarily PS5 players. There's a pretty clear console warring aspect to the hate. Some people genuinely aren't a fan of the style, and that's fine, but the most outspoken are all pro-Sony and anti-Microsoft posters (ass of can, demigod, james sawyer, etc.).
What are you talking about? I’ve posted less about the game than most posters in here who negatively posted about the gameplay. You seem to have an agenda.

FlyyGOD

Yep but need to equate for the Sony tax

Subtract 20-30 points from those overrated Starfield and HB2 scores reviewed by the shill media and pity party “don’t close me bro” triggered press that hang out on ERA’s Microsoft sponsored discord
Also take 20-30 points from those Sony centric sites that boost up Sony only game i.e. Spider-Man 2 that has been the same game thru 3 iterations.

Lou 2 has incredibly dynamic gameplay imo. I’d actually say the gameplay is its strongest point

Top Bottom