• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like the Xbox tax is more like the Xbox welfare.
Yep but need to equate for the Sony tax

V1XdIFw.png

Topher

Gold Member
That is the thing, for people more into gameplay driven experiences, PS games are easily perceived like some of you criticize Hellblade 2, I get the game is not for everyone, literally nobody is playing it thinking on maxing out stats and strategize against difficult boss after a fast dynamic traversal with lots of platforming, the ones that like the game and that were hyped for it knew it was a very linear and limited experience with great graphics.

Say whatever about TLOU (or your usual western "walky talky") "having more gameplay", it's still a very limited and mostly boring experience for someone with taste for Sekiro, Xenoblade, Mario and the likes that are very gameplay focused, the difference is that you care about those types of stories and setups and others care more about fantasy, swords, and the likes of HB2 story and setup... Not that anyone is wrong, it's just that we all give up here and there if we're receiving somewhere else in different ways (IDK if I'm explaining this well honestly)

That's really bending over backwards to make excuses for Hellblade 2's gameplay, but if you don't mind it then cool. Glad you enjoyed the game. I'll leave it at that.

Fuck you topher don't even lol emoji me :messenger_angry:

You'll get emojis whether you like or not you asshat

That is the thing, for people more into gameplay driven experiences, PS games are easily perceived like some of you criticize Hellblade 2, I get the game is not for everyone, literally nobody is playing it thinking on maxing out stats and strategize against difficult boss after a fast dynamic traversal with lots of platforming, the ones that like the game and that were hyped for it knew it was a very linear and limited experience with great graphics.

Say whatever about TLOU (or your usual western "walky talky") "having more gameplay", it's still a very limited and mostly boring experience for someone with taste for Sekiro, Xenoblade, Mario and the likes that are very gameplay focused, the difference is that you care about those types of stories and setups and others care more about fantasy, swords, and the likes of HB2 story and setup... Not that anyone is wrong, it's just that we all give up here and there if we're receiving somewhere else in different ways (IDK if I'm explaining this well honestly)
It is silly comparing HB2 to Sony narrative focused games. In HB2, the combat is the exact same the first hour as it is in the last hour. It doesn't change or progress in any meaningful way. You mention the Last of Us, it has deep gameplay/stealth mechanics, especially on "Grounded" mode. To this day, it has a really strong "Speed running" community that play it on a daily basis because of the gameplay. And the TLOU2 has possibly the best 3rd person combat in any game ever. I love challenging games like Sekiro, and TLOU franchise scratches that itch better than 99% of video games. It is a terrible example

And every premiere 1st party release by Sony over the last 7-8 years offers at least a good gameplay experience that progresses throughout the game. Yes, they are all heavily narratively driven, but they all have a good foundational gameplay loop. No, they don't usually cater to the "Dark Souls" crowd but then again, only a handful of studios emphasize combat to the hardcore gamers similarly. It is a silly comparison

Last edited:

Gudji

I won't be worrying about those games with all the other xbox 1st party games to play between this year and next year.
200.gif

Man I wish I could eat every shit they put on the plate.

There are more journalists with bias for Sony then there will ever be for Microsoft.
That's a load of bullshit but believe whatever you want. If MS games were scrutinized like sony games they'd be fucked.

30 year old remakes

Leonardo Di Caprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Nintendo fans are the clearest case of Stockholm Syndrome in the industry. The only fan base that will buy absolute sub-standard crap like Mario Tennis, Mario Party, etc. at a full fat 60$, while also paying for "miracle" (more like shitty, helpd together by tape) ports like Witcher III and Doom again at a full fat 60$ multiple years after release. MS is unlucky, if HB2 were to be a Ninty exclusive it would easily sell in the millions at 70$ and that MC would be in the 90s. Thanks to the Steam Deck, I am no longer beholden to the Switch for portable gaming. The only reason I will get the Switch 2 will be for a) scalping and b) playing the next Xenoblade sequel.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

ProtoByte

That seems like a far-fetched conclusion. Why are you assuming that the employees aren't giving it their best?
Ninja Theory made the game they wanted to make and tell the story they wanted to tell.
It's also insulting to make out that the teams making the game games don't put effort in, it's clear to see when you play this game a lot of effort and care went into it, even if one doesn't like the game or the gameplay.

Yeah, you might be right. In which case, holy shit, are they in trouble. Because this being your best is not good at all.

feynoob

Gold Member
Someone didn't pay attention during the xbox one always online debacle.
Journalism sucks and wont say shit about the big boys.
Only reason people shit on Xbox, is because Xbox shoots themselves down. So its easy to make fun of them.
Do that to Sony, and you might get blacklisted.

This happens everywhere.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
It's a victim complex.

It's not. Definition of a victim complex is someone who complains about being a victim, even often in spite of evidence to the contrary. I'm not complaining about anything. Just observing. There's also no evidence to the contrary. The evidence supports my observation.

Please educate yourself. Thanks.

semiconscious

Gold Member
SM2 is a pretty terrible example because it’s a better game and adds to the gameplay and set pieces of the original
um, who said anything about spider-man 2? not that i don't feel that it's, despite what you mention, inferior to the original, personally. tears of the kingdom also added the stuff you mention, & i feel it's inferior, as well. different strokes?...

Top Bottom