• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

MrS

Banned
How's the quality of the writing?
I'm only three hours deep but don't expect something Soma-level. It's good but I don't want to go too deep in to details and harm the story for you. I'm very impressed by how the sound, voice-acting/performances and visual effects are all working together to push the story forward in interesting ways. It's quite unique in that regard.

Jedi2016

I'll get the pre-load going in a few minutes, but I won't be able to play until tomorrow. Looking forward to it, though (PC version).

Watching some of the dev diaries again and you can see how much these guys and gals really care about this game. I'm happy to support them.

I had no idea that the game tackled mental illness, mostly due to my lack of attention paid surrounding the game after it's initial announcement. The price and the subject matter are enough for me to hop in right now.

As a big proponent of mental health awareness, I hope this succeeds.

I'm only three hours deep but don't expect something Soma-level. It's good but I don't want to go too deep in to details and harm the story for you. I'm very impressed by how the sound, voice-acting/performances and visual effects are all working together to push the story forward in interesting ways.
Is the story told more through cinematics, or through gameplay as well? Besides the audio, visions, and such, I mean

I'm thinking of how Brothers used its control scheme and scenarios as a means of storytelling and then later to subvert and emphasize that storytelling

Also how varied and open are the environments? Does it feel like a journey?

MrS

Banned
Is the story told more through cinematics, or through gameplay as well? Besides the audio, visions, and such, I mean

Also how varied and open are the environments? Does it feel like a journey?
Both, but more cinematics I'd say. You will solve a puzzle,
Senua will have a conversation with somebody who isn't there (while you're in control of the character) and you'll move on to the next area
. Voices in your head will talk shit to you during combat and try to put you down throughout the game. Light spoilers:
As in most games, beating a boss is followed by a cutscene that moves the story on a bit and brings you closer to achieving your ultimate goal.
There are also lorestones spread throughout the game that, as the name suggests, explain the lore when you find them.

The environments aren't huge but there's room for a bit of exploration to find lorestones. I've missed 2 already and I thought I'd looked everywhere, so the environments are seemingly bigger than the impression they first give. It definitely does feel like you're on a journey even though the environments haven't been massively varied. Without going in to details, parts/areas of the environments change in different ways as the story progresses. They're varied enough IMO.

Edit: the above doesn't quite do justice to how good the game is. It's for sure a game that has to be experienced. Definitely pick it up.

In it to support Ninja Theory. If there's success in shorter, more narrative games for them, maybe we can get an Enslaved resolution.

Eh? Eh? I bet Andy Serkis is down. Just let him play a monkey or two.

MikeDown

Banned
I had no idea that the game tackled mental illness, mostly due to my lack of attention paid surrounding the game after it's initial announcement. The price and the subject matter are enough for me to hop in right now.

As a big proponent of mental health awareness, I hope this succeeds.
Working with those who suffer from psychosis and mental illness I'm curious to see how the game tackles the subject.

r8er34

Want type of replayability will this game have? Considering lawbreakers also. Price point is great for both.

2 playthroughs max imho. It'll be an easy platinum though.

Should have dl'd with the game. Try the themes folder?

Tried it through the website and it started to download but since my account is secondary on my system it's downloading on my friend's PS4 I suppose, can't see it on mine yet. I'll guess it'll show up eventually.

Edit: The strange thing is that the web store shows me that I can pre-order the game as I wouldn't have it but when I try to pre-order (just to see what happens) it tells me that I can't.

I suppose it'll fix itself alone or I'll log in with my friend's account later.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Watched the first couple hours. The one-take cinematography and way they transition between scenes is just amazing. It genuinely just looks incredibly natural with no amount of time spent focusing on superfluous things like in MGSV. :O Pre-ordered justified.

Watched the first couple hours. The one-take cinematography and way they transition between scenes is just amazing. It genuinely just looks incredibly natural with no amount of time spent focusing on superfluous things like in MGSV. :O Pre-ordered justified.
Maybe people will understand why God of War's commitment to a one take/single camera is exciting after playing this

I've only seen two trailers and some of the dev diaries so I'm pretty excited to go into this relatively blind

I'm hoping the combat is at least decent and doesn't get too much in the way of the pacing and storytelling. At best, I hope they use the combat in interesting ways as a means of storytelling rather than just having fights for the sake of action

I had like zero interest in this until I learned a few weeks ago of the dev's intent and effort to explore and portray mental illness. That's the kind of risky stuff that needs to be encouraged in this medium, especially if it's done well. But just the idea of attempting that with a game is a nice step forward; we've had indie games do that but I can't think of anything on this scale

Fuck it, I bit the bullet and got it on GOG. I loved Enslaved and DmC and this is only $30. The game will unlock later there anyway so I'll know if it's bad when you Steam buyers start playing it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm in. Preloading on PS4 Pro. Nearly done. Getting a little bit of reading done and I'll probobly try a bit before I sleep.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
After watching the video below and about a minute of part 2, I went from having zero interest in this game to a guaranteed purchase once the game goes on sale for $20 mainly because as a digital only title, I simply don't want to go past $20 and also because I know that I wouldn't play the game right away since im currently playing a few other titles. Visuals, music, sound and voice acting all seems excellent from watching the video. Did see "perma-death" text in the below video, it's story and gameplay related so I must admit that I actually like the idea knowing what it is. Anyone who's definitely playing this game, my suggestion would be to stay away from reading reviews simply because you don't want to take the chance that the review spoils the "perma-death" aspect in the game. I may be overrating this but knowing what "perma-death" is connected to, I would say that this story/gameplay mechanic has surpassed the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor as being my number one most unique, original and innovative ideas/concepts out of 50 or so games that I have completed this generation.

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY (youtube video) -

I may be overrating this but knowing what "perma-death" is connected to, I would say that this story/gameplay mechanic has surpassed the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor as being my number one most unique, original and innovative ideas/concepts out of 50 or so games that I have completed this generation.
That's some pretty damn high praise

Zakalwe

Banned
I wish I had stayed out of this thread. But then I wouldn't be downloading it now.

God damn it, I was so set on waiting for reviews... thanks.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That's some pretty damn high praise

I know but listening/watching the video and what was being said in relation to the perma-death made me say "holy shit" and knowing what it is, it literally made me go from zero percent interest to 100% and a guaranteed purchase once it hits $20. Only reasons why I don't buy it tomorrow is im already playing a few games, it's digital only and work has increased after being slow for the majority of the last three months so even if I buy it tonight, I don't think that I would get around to playing it until mid/late September at the earliest so for me personally, it's just better to wait but it is officially on my 2017 gaming list and already on my backlog list which I wouldn't do unless I know im eventually buying the game 100%. Basically, it's not a question of if but when.

Crossing Eden

Maybe people will understand why God of War's commitment to a one take/single camera is exciting after playing this
Generally everything i've seen from this makes it look a lot more grounded cinematography wise than the way God of War is using single shot takes. The small amount of dialogue from the main character,
the very explicit fourth wall breaks,
and just an incredible understanding of how a real physical camera works, (iirc God of War devs said they aren't doing that specifically) is what makes it so good.

Karak

Generally everything i've seen from this makes it look a lot more grounded cinematography wise than the way God of War is using single shot takes. The small amount of dialogue from the main character,
the very explicit fourth wall breaks,
and just an incredible understanding of how a real physical camera works is what makes it so good.

agreed

Crossing Eden

And seriously, once you see it. The transitions between scenes are genuinely amazing. This is genuinely the best showcase of what this engine is capable of rendering wise so far this gen. Fill this thread with all the screens!!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
And what exactly is perma-death referring to? Can you spoiler tag it?

If you really want to know, watch the video I posted above and go to 20:20. Obviously, there's spoilers.

Reason im hyping this up is simple - when you realize what the "topic" of the game is and then see the connection of what the "perma-death" is related to, it's almost near perfect because it makes near perfect sense based on the "topic" that's focused on and centered around in the game.

Now I know you're probably wondering, "how the hell did she get up there?" I was so high that I thought I was going to enter Midgard lol.
20638935_1940817142839325_8615581086698383270_n.jpg

Top Bottom