• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 pre-orders are up on both PSN and Steam | $40 for the Standard Edition and $60 for the Super Citizen Edition

Helldivers 2 physical copy pre-orders are also live through PlayStation Direct and Amazon.

81wzR34hn0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
Will buy for PC because I'm not paying Sony stupid quid a year for online, with bonus game I'm never going to play.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This trailer is so cool! And I love the "Enlist Today" marketing lmao 🤣

It seems like the game is dropping frames in some scenes, but I hope they can polish it up in the next ~5 months. Excited!

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'd like a Starship Troopers game after seeing this. GaaS is not for me so I'll give it a miss unless there is single player. Maybe the lads doing Terminator and Robocop might pick up the IP.

[Sigma]

Automaton( I assume is the same as the Cyborgs in the first) lol. They were ruthless af in the first game. Will be on the look out for a Steelbook Edition.

Last edited:
I think this looks like a lot of fun. I remember buying the first one and playing it for a few hours and then kinda never really touching it again, didn't really have anyone to play with at the time and I just wasn't interested otherwise. I like the switch to the 3D camera for this style of game. I hope it reviews well, and I hope it's one of many I can add to the pile of "one day if I have time"

Lunarorbit

Looks good but not the gaas for me. Still holding out for that tlou mp gaas.

Interesting price point. I wonder how well this will do out the gate. Since it's $40 what does that signal to us? Bungie turned down tlou cause it didn't have the right monetization aspects for the game long term so what does that mean for helldivers?

Is it a quasi gaas getting everyone ready for the gaas future? I bet it's a trial balloon with an existing IP to test the temperature. The price will be intriguing to some people but ultimately in 6 months this will be on ps plus. Then it will get that post launch boom after it's settled down.

drotahorror

Hope this turns out good, last trailer didn't do it for me but loved the reveal and whatnot. *Just saw preorder trailer, lookin good!

Need to know more about that Super Citizen edition. Looks like things that might be unlocked later and a couple cosmetics.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

The first one didn't flop and this is multiplatform day one. Why is it flopping hard? The first one was also a paid game.

First game launched on PS4 for U$ 17.99 on steam peak players of all time is 6k on a FREE WEEKEND and every other time that peaked was o FREE WEEKEND, for a small game that was released at less then U$20 i ll agree that the first one didnt "flop" but that is not the case anymore it is ?

KoVK1uB.png

Sl7JYNg.png

The game now is a U$40 play2pay that requires PSN+ to play online, i may be crazy but i think that this game for what it is now ll flop, like Godfall did.

First game launched on PS4 for U$ 17.99 on steam peak players of all time is 6k on a FREE WEEKEND and every other time that peaked was o FREE WEEKEND, for a small game that was released at less then U$20 i ll agree that the first one didnt "flop" but that is not the case anymore it is ?

KoVK1uB.png

Sl7JYNg.png

The game now is a U$40 play2pay that requires PSN+ to play online, i may be crazy but i think that this game for what it is now ll flop, like Godfall did.
The first game released almost 10 years ago, the price increase isn't even surprising. Most people expected worse...and how do you need PS Plus to play it on PC?

Godfall had no interest from anyone even before release though.

mejin

They did up the investments for this sequel. Price is reasonable but I was not hooked by the trailer....will pass.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
not my kind of game but i hope it performs well in sales

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

KoVK1uB.png

Sl7JYNg.png

First game was made by ~10 people IIRC. If it flopped, they wouldn't have taken 9 years to release a sequel.

Embearded

I'm in day one with my best friend.
It looks like a great co op experience and i like the weapons / gear that requires more than 1 person to be operated. I haven't seen that since Peace Walker and i think it's a must for co op GaaS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

KoVK1uB.png

Sl7JYNg.png

H2 will flop hard. As you said H1 was half priced and never got anywhere. I doubt the PS sales were any good either because Sony would had stated if it sold millions. PC version launched later that year, so a case can be made perhaps launch day parity will help H2. I doubt it.

This kind of game is best launched as a F2P. There is no way Helldiver kinds of games cost a ton to make, so a good F2P model with tons of players should rake in some decent money. Trying to make the money on limited gamers buying at $40 seems like a tough slog. Parity PC launch is a big bonus though to generate a big combined user base if the theory holds true where some people bring up if a game is PC parity then PC gamers will care more instead of being offered old sloppy second releases.

For those preferring free. Just wait for PS+. H1 came out to PS+ one year after launch. (Feb 2016)

Last edited:

drotahorror

Buncha freeloaders in here.

WAHHH Game should be F2P!
WAHHH I pay for PS++++ so it should be on there!

This kind of game is best launched as a F2P. There is no way Helldiver kinds of games cost a ton to make, so a good F2P model with tons of players should rake in some decent money. Trying to make the money on limited gamers buying at $40 seems like a tough slog. Parity PC launch is a big bonus though to generate a big combined user base if the theory holds true where some people bring up if a game is PC parity then PC gamers will care more instead of being offered old sloppy second releases.

What on earth is a "Helldiver kinds of games"? Game has solid graphics and is full on multiplayer. It's not a $100 million dollar game but it didn't cost pennies either. Sure Helldivers 1 didn't have much of a budget but this is on another level compared to that. This is kind of like Housemarque going from Dead Nation to Returnal.

Last edited:

DrFigs

H2 will flop hard. As you said H1 was half priced and never got anywhere. I doubt the PS sales were any good either because Sony would had stated if it sold millions. PC version launched later that year, so a case can be made perhaps launch day parity will help H2. I doubt it.

Helldivers 1 was a top down multiplayer shooter. which is a pretty niche combination. i think the more traditional 3rd person shooter will be relatively more appealing. Also I don't really agree that being f2p would make this game more of a success. People are already complaining about sony making multiplayer games and that's without them doing things f2p games need to do to be successful.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
By that time the community will have moved on. Did they stick around long in the first game?
Died off fast on PC when it launched and didnt have a good base at the beginning either. Aside from free weekend days, the normal days struggled. In recent years, it seems to have a core following of about 200-600 per day pending what time of the day it is. Right now is about peak time each day.

AndrewRyan

It's interesting when a game switches perspective like this. Curious how many players will carry over from the first game. Worked out really well for Risk of Rain. The game footage reminds me of Lost Planet multiplayer without grappling hooks.

Top Bottom